Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Half-Life: Alyx Next Month

Valve Tweets that March 23rd is the release date for Half-Life: Alyx, the VR prequel to Half-Life 2 that resumes the long-dormant Half-Life series. They also offer some new screenshots for the game. The Half-Life: Alyx Steam Listing now sports the new release date, and here is the description of the game it offers:
Half-Life: Alyx is Valve’s VR return to the Half-Life series. It’s the story of an impossible fight against a vicious alien race known as the Combine, set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2.

Playing as Alyx Vance, you are humanity’s only chance for survival. The Combine’s control of the planet since the Black Mesa incident has only strengthened as they corral the remaining population in cities. Among them are some of Earth’s greatest scientists: you and your father, Dr. Eli Vance.

As founders of a fledgling resistance, you’ve continued your clandestine scientific activity—performing critical research, and building invaluable tools for the few humans brave enough to defy the Combine.

Every day, you learn more about your enemy, and every day you work toward finding a weakness.

ABOUT GAMEPLAY IN VR:
Valve’s return to the Half-Life universe that started it all was built from the ground up for virtual reality. VR was built to enable the gameplay that sits at the heart of Half-Life.

Immerse yourself in deep environmental interactions, puzzle solving, world exploration, and visceral combat.

Lean to aim around a broken wall and under a Barnacle to make an impossible shot. Rummage through shelves to find a healing syringe and some shotgun shells. Manipulate tools to hack alien interfaces. Toss a bottle through a window to distract an enemy. Rip a Headcrab off your face and throw it out the window.
View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 16, 2020, 08:57 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 07:53:

If that's the case, virtually every game ever is a killer app. I bought the Genesis for Road Rash, and now that's a killer app to you. I knew a kid that bought the NES to play Base Wars. Now that's apparently a killer app, because it sold at least one additional NES.
Killer app's include both Half Life and HL2. I made a new system for each.
I expect the CyberPunk game will be another.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 16, 2020, 07:53 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 00:35:
Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 19:26:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 15:45:
A killer app is an app that sells a lot of hardware because people want the app.
No reason it needs to be released already for that to be the case.

Yeah in general that's definitely the case. This is a continuation of a little tiff that sprung up around a month ago when market analytics showed a quarterly increase of 50k Index units after the announcement of 'Alyx'. At the time Kx was calling it a killer app over what amounted to a paltry increase in unit sales. Myself and several others were just saying that we're going to have to wait and see if it comes out and solves a lot of the inherent roadblocks keeping VR gaming from going mainstream. . I admit that at this point I'm teasing him a bit about it, but until more numbers come out I still maintain to call it a killer app at this point is a bit premature. Personally I'm hoping Valve knocks it out of the park and it really does cause of massive wave of VR adoption but I have my doubts as to whether that can happen.

It doesn't matter how many devices sell! It only matters that the game directly led to an increase in the number of VR devices sold.

If that's the case, virtually every game ever is a killer app. I bought the Genesis for Road Rash, and now that's a killer app to you. I knew a kid that bought the NES to play Base Wars. Now that's apparently a killer app, because it sold at least one additional NES.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 16, 2020, 00:35 Kxmode

Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 19:26:
A killer app is an app that sells a lot of hardware because people want the app.

Yeah in general that's definitely the case. This is a continuation of a little tiff that sprung up around a month ago when market analytics showed a quarterly increase of 50k Index units after the announcement of 'Alyx'. At the time Kx was calling it a killer app over what amounted to a paltry increase in unit sales. Myself and several others were just saying that we're going to have to wait and see if it comes out and solves a lot of the inherent roadblocks keeping VR gaming from going mainstream. . I admit that at this point I'm teasing him a bit about it, but until more numbers come out I still maintain to call it a killer app at this point is a bit premature. Personally I'm hoping Valve knocks it out of the park and it really does cause of massive wave of VR adoption but I have my doubts as to whether that can happen.

It doesn't matter how many devices sell! It only matters that the game directly led to an increase in the number of VR devices sold.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 16, 2020, 00:20 Kxmode

Precisely! It doesn't even matter if the app is popular, although a popular app typically pushes hardware sales. The app only needs to help sell the hardware required to use the app (Sonic = Genesis, Myst = CD-ROM, Final Fantasy 7 = Playstation, Half-Life: Alyx = VR). It boggles the mind that people think "killer app" means something else.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 16, 2020, 00:09 Kxmode

Drayth wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 13:22:
"The less a man makes declarative statements the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect."

Hype <> Killer App.

What the hell? Killer app has nothing to do with "hype" and I've never suggested that definition! It's a straightforward thing that has one criterion. "Did an application push the sale of hardware that is required to use the application?" With Alyx, the answer is a resounding yes. The fact that the Index remains sold-out since December is proof. Seriously, some of you are certifiable.

18. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 15, 2020, 03:27 Armengar

Its a steam game, i'll buy it, see how the controls are and refund if its not a good vr game.  

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

17. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 19:26 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 18:19 Drayth

Until the app can be -used- there are several possible scenarios which can occur.

- Highly unlikely, but still hypothetically possible (for anything unreleased) - the game is canceled.
- The game turns out to suck, and actually causes sales to drop and confidence in the VR market to drop as well.

Just running with those two, if either of those scenarios occurred you feel HL:A would be referred to as "The killer app for VR!" vs, "The app that could have been a killer app for VR...."?

I do not feel it can be referred to as a killer app, because there is no app... yet. That's just assuming the VR manufacturer's weren't simply woefully under-stocked due to the slow sales of VR to begin with.

The only thing driving sales right now is hype.

15. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 15:45 Sepharo

14. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 13:22 Drayth

"The less a man makes declarative statements the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect."

Hype <> Killer App.

13. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 10:48 RedEye9

Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 10:43:
LOL I love how you continue to double and triple down on your wrongness.
Like my pappy always said, “RedEye9*, once you commit to the hole best keep digging.”

*yes, my pops called me RedEye9. Weird huh

Vaccines Cause Immunity

12. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 10:43 Prez

LOL I love how you continue to double and triple down on your wrongness.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 10:08 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 09:03:
Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 07:35:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 00:13:
Staunch wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 22:20:
I'd love to be able to buy an Index but they haven't been available in Australia, and when I looked to import it myself they're not even available to order at the moment.

The Index is also not available in the United States either.

In case any of you want to call Alyx a killer app, DON'T! According to the resident "experts" on this site, Alyx isn't a killer app until well after release.

More like according to virtually every definition of the term in existence.

Some people just aren't good at things easily googleable

Wikipedia article. "Sales of the Valve Index VR headset increased dramatically after the announcement of Half-Life: Alyx, suggesting users bought the product specifically for the game." source

But you go ahead and keep believing whatever defines your reality.

10. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 09:03 Beamer

Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 07:35:
I'd love to be able to buy an Index but they haven't been available in Australia, and when I looked to import it myself they're not even available to order at the moment.

In case any of you want to call Alyx a killer app, DON'T! According to the resident "experts" on this site, Alyx isn't a killer app until well after release.

Some people just aren't good at things easily googleable

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 08:24 Drayth

This thread just became Half-Life: Can of Worms  

8. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 07:35 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 00:20 RedEye9

Alyx isn't a killer app ....
This we know.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

6. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 14, 2020, 00:13 Kxmode

5. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 13, 2020, 22:20 Staunch

4. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Next Month Feb 13, 2020, 21:50 Verno

MeanJim wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 19:59:
So we can expect this in August?

They already had their delays according to the team. That's why they announced very late into the process. We've effectively already gone through Valve time.

Be interesting to see what they come up with. After playing both Walking Dead Saints and Sinners and Boneworks I have very high expectations. Just manually reloading a gun isn't going to do it, been there done that. Hopefully Valve has some tricks up its sleeve.

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >