Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Man Builds Working Rotary Dial Cell Phone Feb 13, 2020, 17:05 The Flying Penguin

"This man wins the internet." No. He doesn't. While he created something that is cool and hits retro nerves, it's not practical in ANY manner. It would rapidly begin to frustrate users with its clunky nature. And not being able to do anything except dial phone numbers makes it a useless brick.

She built it for herself, and she does have speed dial on it.

I know plenty of people (my father included) that want nothing more from their cell phone than to "dial numbers". He still has a basic flip phone.
While I couldn't live without data and SMS in this day in age, some of people do.

I think the "Wins the Internet" comment is just for the sheer audacity of it. I do applaud her. It's like having a useful piece of Steam Punk tech in your pocket.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Man Builds Working Rotary Dial Cell Phone Feb 13, 2020, 16:47 RedEye9

The Flying Penguin wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 11:25:
It's actually a woman, but Hypothermia got it wrong.

She's a radio astronomer and engineer.

I love the list of features. The fact that it's 1980s beige PC color makes it even better.

I would absolutely love to have one of these just to have someone call me and answer it at a Starbucks and watch people gawk.

best invention since sliced brake lines bread and itís radioactive gluten free.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

2. Re: Man Builds Working Rotary Dial Cell Phone Feb 13, 2020, 16:28 Kxmode

"This man wins the internet." No. He doesn't. While he created something that is cool and hits retro nerves, it's not practical in ANY manner. It would rapidly begin to frustrate users with its clunky nature. And not being able to do anything except dial phone numbers makes it a useless brick.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

1. Re: Man Builds Working Rotary Dial Cell Phone Feb 13, 2020, 11:25 The Flying Penguin

It's actually a woman, but Hypothermia got it wrong.

She's a radio astronomer and engineer.

I love the list of features. The fact that it's 1980s beige PC color makes it even better.

I would absolutely love to have one of these just to have someone call me and answer it at a Starbucks and watch people gawk.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >