Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: etc. Feb 13, 2020, 21:30 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 19:25:
""We became more corporate. We were less able to make what we loved, and the teams were pushed to create games based on market research rather than our creative instincts and passions. My dream job became just a job, and I lost the enthusiasm and excitement I once had.""

The current story of our times. Market Research.
One Dev I heard who was working for EA: "These days we spend more time in meetings to discuss how best to monetize the game than we do on game design and mechanics."

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: etc. Feb 13, 2020, 19:25 HorrorScope

""We became more corporate. We were less able to make what we loved, and the teams were pushed to create games based on market research rather than our creative instincts and passions. My dream job became just a job, and I lost the enthusiasm and excitement I once had.""

The current story of our times. Market Research.

2. Re: Epic Games' new president is Adam Sussman… Feb 13, 2020, 12:57 Kxmode

"Prior to his senior position at Nike (a shoe brand... okay?), Sussman was senior VP of global publishing at Zynga (a failure), and served as senior VP of publishing at The Walt Disney Company for DIMG Games (a failure). He has also worked for EA Mobile (a colossal failure) and 2K's parent company, Take-Two Interactive (okay)."

When financial institutions look for their next leader, they typically hire people who are investors themselves AND have years of experience running financial institutions. So why do video game publishers continue to hire people who are not gamers? They cannot possibly know what makes players happy; just like a person running a financial institution with no background in investing wouldn't be able to understand and connect with their customer base. Big publishers need to hire people who are gamers and have a background running large publishers. I don't believe for one minute Adam Sussman is a gamer.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2020, 15:22.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

1. Re: etc. Feb 13, 2020, 12:07 JohnBirshire

Mass Effect writer Drew Karpyshyn says he left BioWare because it became too 'corporate'…

Don't blame him, corporate culture can be toxic.

Drew's Mass Effect novels were very well worth reading.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >