Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Thanks very much to everyone who has participated in the discussion I started yesterday about launching a Patreon program. There was a lot of agreement in the comments about several aspects of this. Probably most interesting is that while there were different outlooks on what individuals are willing to pay, there is a fairly strong consensus against having rewards tied to higher tiers. The eventual ad-free version of the site seems to be the only perk a majority find appealing. In the meantime before that launches, such support can be absolution for the use of ad-blockers (which is one of the reasons this is necessary in the first place). There was also mixed sentiment about Patreon itself, so we'll definitely explore ways to allow more direct contributions. The other thing that came up in many comments is a reminder of the ongoing clamor for Blue's News merchandise, t-shirts in particular. So that's also something that will have follow on all this. Frans and I are still working through how is best to proceed, so there's still time to provide feedback. Please still feel free to share your reactions in the forums or email.

Obituary: Paul English, Willie Nelson's Longtime Drummer, Dead at 87.

Rewarding Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Links: A Weekend at Concours d'Lemons, the World's Worst Car Show.
Stories: Driver caught using carpool lanes with stuffed dinosaur passenger. Thanks Boing Boing.
Federal Bill Seeks to Make Companies Responsible for Plastic Waste. Thanks Acleacius.
Beer Waste Helps Montana Town Save Money On Water Treatment.
Science: A tiny area of the brain may enable consciousness, says "exhilarating" study. Thanks Max.
The Food We'll Eat on the Journey to Mars (Algae Caviar, Anyone?).
'Ghost' DNA In West Africans Complicates Story Of Human Origins. Thanks Max.
Images: Photo of mice brawling on a subway platform wins wildlife photography award.
Media: Epic NPC Man Supercut - Season 20 & 21.
Real Lawyer Reacts to The Witcher (Law of Surprise?!).
Skunk Sprays Inquisitive Bear. Poof little guy.
Follow-up: Jim Bakker selling fake coronavirus cures now.
The toxic reach of Deepwater Horizonís oil spill was much larger ó and deadlier ó than previous estimates. Thanks Acleacius.
Diabetic Alert Dogs Can't Reliably Detect Blood Sugar Changes From Diabetes. Thanks RedEye9.
View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 10:31  RedEye9 

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 12:58:
Started a new job so haven't kept up on the site much, but let me ask this.

What would it take for a year of no ads and a FUCKING BLUESNEWS.COM T-Shirt?

Name a price Blue, i got 2 kidneys and I only need one (for now).
Itís T-Shirt weather in the Antarctic, even penguins would wear a blues news tee. Happy
Temperature in Antarctica near 70 degrees, toppling continental record set days earlier

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 23:51  Sepharo 

yonder wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 23:40:
As someone who has been an avid Blues can for decades now, I'd HAPPILY be on that Patreon as soon as possible.

No need to remove ads. All that matters is that they're not intrusive/abrasive. You never have ads that are full-screen interrupters. You never have obnoxiously animated ads.

Heck... sometimes I'll intentionally click on a BN ad if it's something I'm interested in, with the intention of BN potentially getting a few cents from my purchase.

I'd consider the Patreon to be a friendly tip on top of whatever as revenue is already flowing in. A tip to express my thanks for the many, many years of both quality news gathering/distribution AS WELL AS superb minimalistic, functionality-first, web design.

+1 to all of that

42. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 23:40 yonder

As someone who has been an avid Blues can for decades now, I'd HAPPILY be on that Patreon as soon as possible.

No need to remove ads. All that matters is that they're not intrusive/abrasive. You never have ads that are full-screen interrupters. You never have obnoxiously animated ads.

Heck... sometimes I'll intentionally click on a BN ad if it's something I'm interested in, with the intention of BN potentially getting a few cents from my purchase.

I'd consider the Patreon to be a friendly tip on top of whatever as revenue is already flowing in. A tip to express my thanks for the many, many years of both quality news gathering/distribution AS WELL AS superb minimalistic, functionality-first, web design.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 23:13  Kxmode 

$3 for the standard edition of The Division 2 on UPlay is a good deal.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

40. Patreon Feb 13, 2020, 21:58  Simon Says 

No need to go ad free. This site's ads are very unobtrusive. Patreon would just be a lil extra on top of ad revenue.

As far as donation tiers go, 1/2/3/5/10/25/50/100 sounds good to me.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 21:15  Prez 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 17:02:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 12:28:
I would probably not buy a t-shirt simply for the fact that Mrs. Burrito buys me t-shirts all the time and I have one side of a walk-in closet full of them. I could probably go for a month and wear nothing but t-shirts and still not have to do laundry.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

The key to only doing laundry once a month is having 35-40 pairs of socks and going commando as often as possible. Works for me. Who says single old guys can't live it up.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 20:08  Wolfen 

So it seems the mayor of Shanghai has been moved over to Hubei (Wuhan). Then.. suddenly we see a giant rise of confirmed new cases. The media is reporting speculation that it's due to the new test kits. However, the locals have another theory and that is the new man in charge (Shanghai's former mayor) has exposed the real numbers that were missing all this time or is actually reporting accurate findings in one day. This too is of course speculation until something official comes out.

My thought is, if we see that number continue to decrease at some point in the week then the speculations by the locals were probably accurate. If the numbers stay steady or continue to rise then it is probably the test kits.

Meanwhile, Shanghai suddenly forced 99% of the businesses in the Jing'an area (highly popular tourist area and pretty much central of Shanghai) to close down. It seems like they are allowing them to deliver but they simply can not open their doors. Though a lot of them have decided to just cut it off and close entirely.

Luckily of course groceries are still open and delivering. Wet markets are open (which is crazy, lets just get a slew of people in one place during a virus epidemic).

Anyhow. Should be an interesting weekend.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 19:43  RedEye9 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 19:25:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 17:42:
I would probably not buy a t-shirt simply for the fact that Mrs. Burrito buys me t-shirts all the time and I have one side of a walk-in closet full of them. I could probably go for a month and wear nothing but t-shirts and still not have to do laundry.
Right? I was thinking that. 32 t shirts, 32 underwear, 32 pairs of socks -- 6-7 pairs of jeans -- woo hoo! Only have to do laundry once a month!
You could extend that to two months if you turn stuff inside out and wear it again.
thatís what I do with my depends

Vaccines Cause Immunity

36. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 19:25 jdreyer

Right? I was thinking that. 32 t shirts, 32 underwear, 32 pairs of socks -- 6-7 pairs of jeans -- woo hoo! Only have to do laundry once a month!
You could extend that to two months if you turn stuff inside out and wear it again.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

35. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 19:10  Burrito of Peace 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 19:06:
I thought you werenít gonna rescreen the note because once a device tastes the sweet sweet concrete it always wants some more.

any ideas on what phone holds your interest?

I am not going to get the screen replaced. No, not yet. I looked at Moto's and LG's offerings and I just wasn't all that impressed. Nor was I impressed with the Pixel phone. Part of the problem is that the phone has to be AT&T compatible because we have a truly unlimited data plan with no throttling that we're grandfathered in to and I do not want to lose that.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 19:07  Burrito of Peace 

I don't do the laundry, that's Mrs. Burrito's responsibility, but overall I just don't wear a lot of t-shirts. When I work outside, it's usually a long sleeve cotton shirt to protect my arms, I don't wear t-shirts to work, and when we go out shopping, dining, or whatever, I have short sleeved button down shirts I wear.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 19:06  RedEye9 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 19:02:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 16:53:
Hey BoP,

Why don't you just order a new screen for your Note?

I have gone down that route in the past with other phones, for myself and others, and it never works out. The fit and finish is never the same nor is the capacitance level, regardless of what service I use to repair the phone in question.

So I'll just retire the Note as my music player and a local mobile device and get a new phone.
I thought you werenít gonna rescreen the note because once a device tastes the sweet sweet concrete it always wants some more.

Any ideas on what phone tickles the burritos fancy?

Vaccines Cause Immunity

32. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 19:02  Burrito of Peace 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 16:53:
Hey BoP,

I have gone down that route in the past with other phones, for myself and others, and it never works out. The fit and finish is never the same nor is the capacitance level, regardless of what service I use to repair the phone in question.

So I'll just retire the Note as my music player and a local mobile device and get a new phone.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 18:43  RedEye9 

NY subway pizza rat should have won that award, systems rigged I tell ya.  

Vaccines Cause Immunity

30. Re: Jim Bakker original source Feb 13, 2020, 18:32  RedEye9 

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 11:50:
Is not BoingBoing (when is it ever) but this -> https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch

particular with dat proof https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1227657884395327489
From fake sky wizard to snake oil salesman.
Itís all the same. sad

Vaccines Cause Immunity

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 17:42  Mr. Tact 

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 17:02 jdreyer

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 16:59 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 12:02:
If you do t-shirts make sure they are made of preshrunk material -- I hate it when I buy a tshirt, wear it, wash it, and find out it has shrunk to the point I can't wear it again. The bump in quality is well worth the bump in price. Also, that stuff tends to have a low margin -- don't be afraid to bump the price to make it worth your trouble.
You know I'mma buy one.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 16:53 jdreyer

Hey BoP,

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 16:33  RedEye9 

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 16:05:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is now available on EGS. Definitely snagged this one!
WOOT
Iíll tell my peeps!

Vaccines Cause Immunity

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >