Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit

A post on the NVIDIA GeForce Forums explains that the removal of Activision Blizzard games reported yesterday from GeForce NOW was at the publisher's request (thanks VG247). Their wording suggests these titles may return, but for now the future of playing Activision Blizzard games in the cloud is up in the air. Here's word:
As we take GeForce NOW to the next step in its evolution, we’ve worked with publishers to onboard a robust catalog of your PC games.

This means continually adding new games, and on occasion, having to remove games – similar to other digital service providers.

Per their request, please be advised Activision Blizzard games will be removed from the service. While unfortunate, we hope to work together with Activision Blizzard to reenable these games and more in the future.

In addition to the hundreds of games currently supported, we have over 1,500 games that developers have asked to be on-boarded to the service. Look for weekly updates as to new games we are adding.
View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 13, 2020, 23:01 KilrathiAce

blizzard should just pull all their pc games and go mobiles only, i mean dont you have phones? thats right.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 13, 2020, 06:34 Jonjonz

Activision goes from dumb to dumber, what's next, pull all their games from Steam.

Sometimes these suits that think Ayn Rand is the second coming get so twisted up when they see anyone making a buck off some aspect of their product they overlooked or chose not to pursue.

Got to be a shake down, I hope Nvidia does not blink and lets these shysters stew in their lower game sales next quarter.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

20. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 20:43  Mr. Tact 

Drayth wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 19:35:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 15:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 14:37:
Interesting question: Who has been fucking up worse recently? Blizzard or Microsoft?
Microsoft produces a wide variety of products
Their line of condoms didn't really seem to take off.
Which didn't keep them from screwing over their users on a regular basis...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

19. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 20:24  Kxmode 

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 15:57:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 13:19:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 13:05:
This is why I'm not interested in any streaming or smorgasbord models for gaming... You don't buy the games, you buy access to the service that may or may not have what you want to play come tomorrow. If a game I own is removed from Steam, it's still in my library and able to be downloaded/played.

Geforce NOW isn't Stadia.

I'm aware of that. And yet it doesn't stop them from having the same sort of licensing challenges, as is apparent from this story. There are people who paid a subscription fee for this service and one day it suddenly lost some value. Just like how you can load up Netflix one day and see one of your favorite shows is missing.

You're not buying games from Nvidia, so there are no licensing fees on the EULA side. You buy games from a digital store and own that copy. You can play your legally owned copy through NOW as a consumer choice, but only if the service has the game in its library. The $5 monthly premium provides up to 6 hours at a time on multiple devices. That's it. Perhaps where the "licensing fee" comes into play is between Nvidia and Activision, since Nvidia has to host a copy of the game in its cloud.

Is that what you meant by licensing challenges?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 19:35 Drayth

Kxmode wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 15:57:
Interesting question: Who has been fucking up worse recently? Blizzard or Microsoft?

Microsoft produces a wide variety of products

Their line of condoms didn't really seem to take off.

17. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 18:52 NKD

Hasn't Microsoft been doing fairly well?

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

16. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 18:46  Jivaro 

So is the problem here a security thing? Creating a middle man, in this case GeforceNoW, adds a layer of hardware and access that didn't exist before. Perhaps that's a legit concern? It feels like a reach to me but I am really not qualified to know.  

15. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 16:02  RedEye9 

microzard

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

14. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 15:57 jacobvandy

Kxmode wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 13:19:
This is why I'm not interested in any streaming or smorgasbord models for gaming... You don't buy the games, you buy access to the service that may or may not have what you want to play come tomorrow. If a game I own is removed from Steam, it's still in my library and able to be downloaded/played.

Geforce NOW isn't Stadia.

I'm aware of that. And yet it doesn't stop them from having the same sort of licensing challenges, as is apparent from this story. There are people who paid a subscription fee for this service and one day it suddenly lost some value. Just like how you can load up Netflix one day and see one of your favorite shows is missing.

13. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 15:57  Kxmode 

I don't believe that's a fair comparison. Microsoft produces a wide variety of products, applications, and services. Blizzard only makes video games.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 15:44 Verno

Blizzards PR lately is just baffling and points to real problems with its leadership. Its like watching the Bioware ship sink, really depressing.  

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon

11. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 14:43 eRe4s3r

Pr()ZaC wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 14:39:
Blizzarsoft?

Microvision

10. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 14:39 Pr()ZaC

Blizzarsoft?

9. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 14:37  Mr. Tact 

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

8. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 14:36 sorted

Dear Activision Blizzard,
thank-you dearly for the shit show, greed knows no bounds! amirite!? lol?
now(!), I'm not the only, >"power of bad example!"< yes!!! Act/Bli < y'all made my whole life!!!! wooT!!! woooTT!!!! aloha &#128405;!!!

"You've heard about the pyramids? This is like the pyramids times ten."

7. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 13:49 everyone

Uh people, when you launched Activision games through Geforce Now, you STILL had to start the Blizzard launcher and login just like you do on your own PC. No reason why devs should not support Geforce Now unless they don't like money.  

6. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 13:42  El Pit 

Bought an ActiBlizz game and wanted to play it as a stream? No no noooo, my friend. You will have to buy it again from Snowstorm, the upcoming Blizzard streaming service. And you will not only have to buy it again - after buying it, you will have to pay a monthly fee to use the streaming service to play the streaming version you bought of a game you already had bought before as a download. Because why make money once if you can make it twice and even make the suckers, sorry, fans not just pay twice but CONSTANTLY! Win!!! $$$! And then the streaming will not work well because of not enough and very slow servers (aka profit maximization) and the Blizzard superhero, The Grand Excuser, will talk to the fans at BlizzCon and will make an excuse that will not even excuse the mistake itself and will not admit anything at all because then Blizzard could get sued. But it will sound honest because many wellpaid spindoctoring experts with diplomas in economics, justice, and psychology worked on it for days.

And people will stand up and cheer and will buy the streaming versions and will order 2 years of admission to the streaming service again.

Rinse. Repeat.

Free Hong Kong!

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

5. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 13:19  Kxmode 

Geforce NOW isn't Stadia. You buy the game from a store (Steam, Epic, Battle.net, etc.). The game gets imported into NOW. You still own the game you purchased, but NVIDIA assumes responsibly for maintaining and updating. Activision doesn't want NVIDIA hosting any of their games in their NOW cloud. Hence, why I said they wish to have PC gamers launch games from their launchers. It's about control, or in the case of NOW losing control.

4. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 13:05 jacobvandy

3. Re: Activision Blizzard Requested Their GeForce NOW Exit Feb 12, 2020, 13:04 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 12:32:
They were removed from GeForce NOW because Activision only wants PC games launched through Blizzard and Activision's launchers. Activision has shown NO desire to have their modern games appear on any other launcher but their own.

Activision is making no games anymore though only GaaS

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >