Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 13, 2020, 10:50  Mr. Tact 

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 13, 2020, 10:44:
Where the fuck do you live? Holy crap! That's super fucking cheap. I can't find anything around here under $450k, and that's for the ultra-garbage piece of shit, old as fuck, falling apart, disgusting neighborhood, nobody is ever gonna fucking buy this shit tier housing.
Haha, not on either coast obviously. I live in Urbana, IL -- about 120 miles south of Chicago -- home of the University of Illinois. I was commenting more on the lack of drastic change in prices than actual prices.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 13, 2020, 10:44 ForgedReality

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 15:32:
Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 14:44:
The real estate market is just out of control on the west coast but I guess I can't say NY is particularly good in this regard either.
Yep. Fortunately the real estate market in my area is mostly stable. Possibly in part due to being a college town, there are always professors coming and going. I bought my house near the top of the national real estate bubble (2005) but wasn't significantly affected when the crash came. Purchased for $176k, Zillow estimates me at $202k now, which is probably a bit high -- I'd guess $190k-195k. Slow growth, but that's fine with me..

Where the fuck do you live? Holy crap! That's super fucking cheap. I can't find anything around here under $450k, and that's for the ultra-garbage piece of shit, old as fuck, falling apart, disgusting neighborhood, nobody is ever gonna fucking buy this shit tier housing.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 17:17  Mr. Tact 

Ahh, Navigator... I remember it well.  

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 17:09 ventry

"This Windows 98 themed version of Windows 10 looks amazing."
The screenshot above even has the original Google home page in the browser for an additional touch of nostalgia.

If they really wanted "nostalgia", Google should have been shown in "Netscape Navigator".

The most powerful governments on earth can't stop a virus from spreading
BUT,
They can reduce the Earths temperature if you give them more of your money.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 15:54 phinn

Personally I wouldn't touch a PC game under 60fps. Ever since I got my 144Hz monitor a couple years ago it's so much smoother and more responsive than I prefer around 120fps as my minimum. Especially for competitive shooters like PUBG.  

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 15:32  Mr. Tact 

Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 14:44:
The real estate market is just out of control on the west coast but I guess I can't say NY is particularly good in this regard either.
Yep. Fortunately the real estate market in my area is mostly stable. Possibly in part due to being a college town, there are always professors coming and going. I bought my house near the top of the national real estate bubble (2005) but wasn't significantly affected when the crash came. Purchased for $176k, Zillow estimates me at $202k now, which is probably a bit high -- I'd guess $190k-195k. Slow growth, but that's fine with me..

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 14:55  RedEye9 

phinn wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 11:11:
Decimates 14nm? Who cares if no one can own one. Where the hell are Intel's 10nm Desktop CPUs?
They are never-ever coming. WCCFTECH click bait is click bait. It’s so bad you’d thunk I submitted it.
100% improvement using a select cherry picked bench mark that in no way, shape or form translates to the real world.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 14:44  Verno 

The pay is still pretty great but a lot of startups started cutting down on amenities, benefits and etc. You have to also contrast the pay with the cost of living which is obscene. We have a rental property out there that is pretty much paying for my new car and that's despite underpricing the market because we like our tenants. The real estate market is just out of control on the west coast but I guess I can't say NY is particularly good in this regard either.

We're probably going to retire in somewhere like Erie PA, I just want a nice lakeside town or city with greenspace that isn't blowing up into some tech megopolis.

Playing: Hades, Bloodborne, Total War: Warhammer 2,
Watching: Captain Blood, VFW, Mississippi Grind

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 14:34  Mr. Tact 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 14:24:
Get on the bus at 2:30 AM so you can be at work for the start of your 4 AM shift.
What Hell is this?!?
In a word, crazy. The housing problems there are so bad I'm surprised it hasn't caused more disruption than it has already. Working in Silicon Valley was never really something I considered (or could probably have accomplished) but it has been decades I've been hearing about the problems. I wouldn't have taken a job there without a salary which would have made the cost of housing a non-issue. And while the tech jobs pay well, most of them no longer pay that well.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 14:24  RedEye9 

Get on the bus at 2:30 AM so you can be at work for the start of your 4 AM shift.
What Hell is this?!?

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 14:16 Muscular Beaver

phinn wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 11:11:
Decimates 14nm? Who cares if no one can own one. Where the hell are Intel's 10nm Desktop CPUs?

Well, their next 14 nm desktop generation is to be released in the next weeks to months. So its safe to say that we wont see 10 nm on the desktop before end of the year, more like next year.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 12:50  Cram 

Spent some money, been fortunate to spend a couple years at the 1440p, High or Greater settings, 144fps. Where possible anyway, for example Red Dead 2 PC wasn't happening because garbage port that hardware can't fix. Definitely don't hit 144 in all titles. I'm fine with a constant, no microskip, 60fps though.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 12:28 theglaze

Click bait from PC Gamer... surprise surprise

Not as bad as a title I saw (somewhere else) yesterday "No One Can Explain Why Planes Stay in the Air" .... gtfo ScientificAmerican

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 11:54 chickenboo

I'm definitely most happy over 60fps, but I'll deal with 45+ if it means the settings I want. I tried playing AC Origins locked to 30fps for stability sake, but it just felt, I don't know, slow. I ended up beating the game with unlocked frames, and if that meant occasional dips to 35fps, so be it. Crappy DX11 implementation in that title anyways, there's almost no fix.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 11:33  Prez 

Anything less than 30fps is too stuttery to be enjoyable for me. I prefer 45fps+. Graphics just need to be over my own personal threshold of "good enough", which is usually well below maxed-out "ultra" settings.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 11:11 phinn

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 10:26 Drayth

I want both.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >