Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW

The Verge reports that all of Activision Blizzard's games have been removed from GeForce NOW, NVIDIA's new cloud gaming service. Word is that so far whatever provoked this remains a mystery:
Nvidia’s GeForce Now feels like one of the very best ways to get a free taste of cloud gaming, but it’s got a gigantic catch — it lets you play PC games you already own only if the game publisher allows it. Today, Nvidia is revealing that Activision Blizzard is no longer playing ball, pulling down its catalog of games including Overwatch, WoW, and the Call of Duty series.

That means one of the service’s biggest publishers, as well as its Battle.net catalog of games, will no longer be available just a week after the service’s formal launch — a launch that was already missing many games from Capcom, EA, Konami, Remedy, Rockstar and Square Enix, all of which seemed to have pulled out after Nvidia’s beta period ended.

Nvidia wouldn’t tell us why this is happening now, but it’s strange, because Nvidia previously told us it was contacting every publisher ahead of launch to make sure they were OK staying on. Did Activision Blizzard reneg on a deal, or did Nvidia fail to get permission? We’re waiting to hear back on that from Nvidia; Activision Blizzard didn’t respond to a request for comment.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW
Feb 12, 2020, 15:11
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 15:11
Feb 12, 2020, 15:11

Kxmode wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 12:33:
They were removed from GeForce NOW because Activision only wants PC games launched through Blizzard and Activision's launchers. Activision has shown NO desire to have their modern games appear on any other launcher but their own.

You'd still access Activision games via their launcher, just through hardware hosted by NVidia in the cloud.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Feb 12, 2020, 12:33
Kxmode

Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 12:33
Feb 12, 2020, 12:33
 Kxmode

They were removed from GeForce NOW because Activision only wants PC games launched through Blizzard and Activision's launchers. Activision has shown NO desire to have their modern games appear on any other launcher but their own.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Feb 12, 2020, 11:07
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 11:07
Feb 12, 2020, 11:07

Haha, I didn't even know GeForce NOW was a cloud gaming service. I had seen "GeForce NOW" here and there, but never read anything about it. Whatever. I guess I am just an old, out of date gamer -- don't even understand why i would want a cloud gaming service...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Feb 12, 2020, 09:46
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 09:46
Feb 12, 2020, 09:46

I am glad streaming is splintering apart in dozens of useless services that nobody uses.. that makes sure it will never be a success for anyone

Feb 12, 2020, 08:42
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 08:42
Feb 12, 2020, 08:42

Cutter wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 20:04:
Uh wild guess? Money?
Nah most likely it's because Activition/Blizzard will be making their own "streaming" service themselves.

Everyone keeps hyping streaming as the next netflix and no one will want some third party to take their percentage of the profits that ends up building a giant competitor to themselves. Just like all the TV networks out there now are building their own streaming services, the games area will fracture into a hundred smaller "streaming" sites to try and maximize their bottom line and get that coveted monthly access fee from users.

Feb 12, 2020, 06:58
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 06:58
Feb 12, 2020, 06:58

Jonjonz wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 06:26:
NVIDIA (120 billon valuation) can afford to just flat out buy Valve (Forbes estimates value at 3-4 billion.) Then they would have the best catalog in the cloud.
You can only buy something that is for sale. And Valve is not publically traded, so any acquisition would have to be actively negotiated. If Gabe Newell doesn't feel like he's getting enough out of whatever deal is proposed he can almost certainly deny any sale as he (from what I can tell) owns the majority of Valve. Additonally whatever values Forbes estimate are at best guidelines to be used in potential negotiations, Bloomberg puts the estimate for Valve at $10 billion on this date.

There's also the possibility that Gabe Newell just doesn't see the need to sell to NVIDIA, regardless of how much he is offered. Even if he only had a personal fortune of $500mil that is still enough for a family to live extremely comfortably for a century. And $500 million is well below what he most likely actually has, as his personal net worth is estimated to be in the range of $3.5-6.5 billion depending on source.

If Gabe Newell is the kind of person who doesn't actively seek more wealth (those do exist), he has little reason to accept any offer of a buyout. And Valve is (at least partially) his creation, so he may have a lot of attachment to the company and may not want to see anyone else in control.

Feb 12, 2020, 06:49
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 06:49
Feb 12, 2020, 06:49

i played WoW via geforce now beta a few times from work (because i had SUPER important daily stuff to do!) and it worked quite well. the client loaded up twitch to sync addons with the curse cloud thingy and often saved stuff between sessions.

but i couldn't use my dropbox-based savedvariables/interface folders and just played the aformentioned important stuff on a custom-ish interface. since i'm normally transporting characters to world quest points via RDP, the possibility to steer the character more directly provided by geforce now was kinda nice.

the hassle to log in, authenticate twitch, authenticate wow, update addons if needed and entering the game only to be disconnected after five minutes of inactivity because a colleague walked up wasn't worth it in the long run.

as far as i know, blizzard forbids the use of streaming and even RDP to some point in the EULA. that might be the reason of the pull. if not and they are going for stadia? good riddance.

Feb 12, 2020, 06:26
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 06:26
Feb 12, 2020, 06:26

Activision, just how many times can they shoot themselves in the foot this year?

GFN's main issue for me is the paltry list of games available, especially weak in the RTS area (only one Total War title and a couple of 4X).

NVIDIA (120 billon valuation) can afford to just flat out buy Valve (Forbes estimates value at 3-4 billion.) Then they would have the best catalog in the cloud.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Feb 12, 2020, 02:46
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 02:46
Feb 12, 2020, 02:46

Armengar wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 02:31:
Because you dont own it. You own a license for it. That license says via steam only, so to runnit from elsewhere you need another license and it seems that one was pulled. My guess is the cheque bounced.

You have a license to install it and play it on hardware. I wonder what stipulation they're using to say, "if the hardware is in the cloud, and you stream it, that's not allowed."
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Feb 12, 2020, 02:39
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 02:39
Feb 12, 2020, 02:39

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 01:42:
One more reason not to buy games from ActiBlizz.

A friend linked the nVidia blurb on the announcement and mentioned they're going to Stadia. Digging around, I found old and new articles pointing that this may have been the eventual route.

Is Activision even capable of good decisions anymore?

So even more reasons to avoid them, I guess.

We already had the Console Wars... Then we got Console Vs PC.
So are we doing Console Wars 2: The Streamening?

Feb 12, 2020, 02:31
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 02:31
Feb 12, 2020, 02:31

Because you dont own it. You own a license for it. That license says via steam only, so to runnit from elsewhere you need another license and it seems that one was pulled. My guess is the cheque bounced.
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Feb 12, 2020, 02:00
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 02:00
Feb 12, 2020, 02:00

Teddy wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 00:53:
The publisher gets to decide what platforms it's games are available on. If for example, GeForce NOW didn't work well (I have no idea, never tried it), then it could result in a poor gaming experience for their players and that's well within their purview to exert control over.

But, this is not a platform, its just a streaming cloud service and you already have to own a game like on steam etc...
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

Feb 12, 2020, 01:42
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 01:42
Feb 12, 2020, 01:42

One more reason not to buy games from ActiBlizz.

Feb 12, 2020, 00:53
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 00:53
Feb 12, 2020, 00:53

The publisher gets to decide what platforms it's games are available on. If for example, GeForce NOW didn't work well (I have no idea, never tried it), then it could result in a poor gaming experience for their players and that's well within their purview to exert control over.

Feb 12, 2020, 00:00
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 00:00
Feb 12, 2020, 00:00

Overon wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 23:40:
Why would Nvidia need permission to let people who own these games on Steam (for example) install them on Nvidia's hardware and play them from Nvidia's hardware?

That's a good point, however it seems the game has to be available to stream through geforce NOW, and right now blizzard games are not showing up in their site. This assumes games you will want to stream you own, unless its free to play.
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"

Feb 11, 2020, 23:40
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 11, 2020, 23:40
Feb 11, 2020, 23:40

Why would Nvidia need permission to let people who own these games on Steam (for example) install them on Nvidia's hardware and play them from Nvidia's hardware?

Feb 11, 2020, 23:34
Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 11, 2020, 23:34
Feb 11, 2020, 23:34

Good, I wish activision and especially blizzard just remove all their games from everywhere.

Feb 11, 2020, 20:04
Cutter

Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 11, 2020, 20:04
Feb 11, 2020, 20:04
 Cutter

Uh wild guess? Money?
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older