Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Over all these years I thought I had already experienced ever form of spam and scam email created. This morning I got a new one, however, when I received a surprise invitation from the Illumnati! They say: "Hello, Do you wish to be famous, wealthy and powerful? Be part of this elite organization called Illuminati filled with world leaders, business authorities, innovators, artists, and other influential members of this planet....to apply for membership contact us now and Join Our Global Unity. This is a limited offer!!" At first I was surprised that the Illumnati would even be aware of me, but then I realized, hey, they're the Illumnati! They know everything! So there, now I'm going to finally be in on the big picture of how the globe actually operates. I'm guessing I'll be sworn to secrecy, so apologies in advance for not filling you in!

Illuminated Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Links: Zoo will name a rat or roach after your ex and feed it to a snake on Valentine.
The Story of Huey Lewis Is Not a Tragedy. Thanks Cutter.
Preparing For The End Of The World, On A Budget.
Science: Michael Pollan Explains Caffeine Cravings (And Why You Don't Have To Quit).
Dog Training Methods Affect Attachment to the Owner. Thanks Max.
Doing this many push-ups reduces heart disease risk by 96%. This many being 40.
Media: How one dog won Westminster three times.
Wrestler dives off shopping mall balcony. Admit it, you've thought about it too.
Encounter with Koala. They get all the girls.
View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 15:11 Beamer

Boston is incredibly dated. No way you can hear More than a Feeling and not thing "wow, this is totally a product of the 70s."  

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 15:06 jdreyer

Modern recording techniques started with Sgt Pepper's Hearts Club Band in 1967. That was the first studio album where the band didn't record in a single take. A lot of albums in the 1970s and most in the 80s and 90s are all done in separate tracks recorded separately then combined. Dark Side of the Moon uses analog sampling for songs like Money. Tom Scholz plays almost all the instruments on his studio albums, and Brad Delp sings his own backup vocals on them. Ditto for Prince, U2, etc. etc.

Things can sound dated in different ways: recording technology, instrument sounds, instruments themselves, musical style, lyric content, historical importance, etc.

Music from the 50s and 60s sounds date for multiple reasons: poor recording technology, one-take songs that limited creativity, lack of modern instrumentation like synths and over-driven guitars, etc.

Once you get into the 70s, it starts to get a bit more difficult. Sure lots of iconic bands were recorded using older tech, one-takes, etc. Most Zep just sounds antiquated, as good as it is (Page's sloppy playing doesn't help). But some bands sound pretty modern, like Floyd and Boston. If you know what a 12-string sounds like, and you know it's not used much any more, you can tell, but that takes a pretty discerning ear.

In the 80s and 90s it becomes even more difficult, because bands spent oodles of money on their recordings and most modern instruments and effects existed by then. A lot of old 80s hip-hop sounds pretty dated, but cause the form was in its infancy, but rock was well-established by then. Recordings are clean. Musicians are extremely talented. Lots of effects and processing done in post.

Lastly, "Oh, Sherry" is awful precisely because it's not Journey.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 09:47 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 16:43:
Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 15:29:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 14:41:
Thanks for proving me right, Beamer. Winkrazz Mwahaha

I had to!

But no, I think it stands the test of time, I just don't agree with the article saying:

Although he gets lumped in with the superstars of the eighties, the songs of Sports—“The Heart of Rock & Roll,” “Heart and Soul,” “I Want a New Drug,” “If This Is It”—don’t sound dated. They don’t even sound like the sixties R&B that inspired them. They’re timeless.

That's ridiculous. It sounds every bit as dated as Like a Virgin, or Synchronicity, or Thriller, or most of the hits of the time. They're all good to great songs, but they're songs of their era.

I guess it depends on whether you think other classic songs from the era sound dated. Do Bon Jovi, Journey, or Iron Maiden sound dated?

Very much so. Those sounded dated to me when I was in HS in the late 90s. By then, no male was doing falsetto like Bruce, or hair ballads like Bon Jovi, or whatever the hell you'd want to call Oh, Sherry. Those bands were passe, and decidedly out of style. You could get away with wearing a Master of Puppets shirt without being seen as too outdated, but anyone wearing an Iron Maiden shirt was a social pariah. It was lame.

With years past, and the music popular then becoming lame, things come back in. You can appreciate things without worrying about whether it's lame or not. And some things come back in style, even if ironically, as Journey absolutely did after the Sopranos ending (try going to a wedding and NOT hearing Don't Stop Believing, but then try asking any guest to name a single other Journey song.)

If you compare to today, first off, much of that is guitar driven. Modern music is really not particularly guitar driven. Maiden is pretty much just guitar, and no modern band isn't using synth, samples, or something electronic during their engineering.

Another example of what dates it is just how empty the space is. This isn't (necessarily) a complaint, but modern music doesn't have much white space. Take a rock band from the 60s-90s, and there's a decent chance they're recording in one take. No one does that now. Even if they didn't, they did drums, then stringed instruments, then vocals, and that's what you get on the album. Now, the studio adds a ton. Even if it's just reverb and fades, there's a lot going on during a song. A lot of atmosphere. Bands back then didn't do that, because they didn't have the technology to. It gives a garage feel, whereas today stuff is generally more rich (which isn't indicative of quality, fois gras is richer than chicken breast, but that doesn't make it better, nor mean it's what you always want.) A good example is to compare Pretty Hate Machine to Reznor's Watchmen soundtrack. Same guy, but one is so much more dated and so much less processed than the other (and I love both, but will put on Pretty Hate Machine over the Watchmen soundtrack 100 out of 100 times.) Or compare The Weeknd to Michael Jackson. Spotify is telling me that the #1 song right now is Blinding Lights by The Weeknd. I generally like the little I know of The Weeknd, and he's pretty commonly called the closest thing to Michael Jackson since Michael Jackson. But man, is Blinding Lights a smoothly processed song. The only way to describe the sound is smooth. Compare to Billy Jean, which sounds so dated and, again, kind of empty. That said, Billy Jean is infinitely better than Blinding Lights, like, I don't even think it's fair to say them in the same sentence.

Even how songs end. When's the last time you heard a song fade out? Nearly every Bon Jovi song fades out. Same with Huey. Nirvana very famously made that uncool ("better to burn out than to fade away" was slyly hinting at both life and songs, even if it was poached from Neil Young), and bands almost immediately dropped fading out without it ever really coming back in. No band was fading out live, so it was odd to fade out on the album.

Being dated isn't bad. If you put on a movie from before 2002 today, it looks dated. No one was really doing color correcting prior to that. The Matrix made it popular by making everything green, but shortly after, everything became teal and orange. Everything. Virtually every movie is color corrected now. 99% are teal and orange. Some are just oversaturated (everything is more saturated.) Films in Mexico are more yellow and brown. If you go watch Taxi Driver, it's so washed out. Not an artistic decision, just how film was processed back then. Compare to The Joker, which tried to modernize that look, and washed some shades out and saturated others, all in post. One looks modern, one looks dated. Very dated. But it's the superior film. Virtually anyone watching Taxi Driver now can place when it was released, within a few years.

I know I'm nitpicking and being pedantic on a single line in an article, but you mentioned Bon Jovi. By Esquire saying that Huey Lewis isn't dated like his contemporaries, they're basically implying Bon Jovi is dated. If Bon Jovi is, so is Huey Lewis. Yeah, neither are dated like The Safety Dance is, or like Flock of Seagulls is, but they're clearly bands from the 80s (I'd also argue that Men Without Hats and Flock of Seagulls, even as one-hit wonders, had more of a lasting legacy than Huey Lewis.

And, after all this, and after so many prior articles out there about how Huey was lame even when he was popular, I'm still going to say Sports is a hell of an album and Patrick Bateman had it right (even if, again, it was supposed to be a joke about how lame and processed Bateman was.)

-------------

26. Re: 2.5 times cuter Feb 12, 2020, 09:41 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 09:36:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 09:28:
Ps.: Sorry for putting this under your post there, no idea why that happened
obviously not enough aversive training.

I consider your posts enough aversive training <3

25. Re: 2.5 times cuter Feb 12, 2020, 09:36  RedEye9 

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 09:28:
obviously not enough aversive training.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

24. Re: 2.5 times cuter Feb 12, 2020, 09:28 eRe4s3r

That dog training thing is.. like 50 year old news not just for dogs, but for humans. Reward based teaching is INFINITELY BETTER than anything else, because anything else is making things worse, and reward based training does not make anything worse, aside maybe your bank account a bit.

This is also why our schools suck. Entire school system in the western world is aversive, only parents can work over that to some extend by providing a barrier and making it positive reinforcement instead. So if the children/dogs tried to understand and worked hard and still got bad grade, they should still get a reward for that behavior, not for the fucking result.

TL:DR

I hate western worlds school systems. They are broken and produce broken people.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 02:48 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 19:59:
So are we all just going to ignore that Blue is a member of the illuminati now?

Blue has always been a member of the Illuminati. And the Freemasons.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 19:59  Prez 

So are we all just going to ignore that Blue is a member of the illuminati now?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 19:55 Bodolza

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 17:23:
So, you think someone could approximately predict the creation date of music they don't know?

Absolutely. Along with certain musical styles, chord progressions, or instrumentation, there are some production techiniques that are closely tied to the technology of the time. For example, early digital reverbs had a certain low-fi quality. People still use digital reverbs today, but they're much higher quality. Synths went from analog to FM to sample-based and each has their own sound.

There are a bunch of other things that factor in as well. Individually each one might be enough, but taken together, someone that knows what to listen for can nail the time period of a record pretty well.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 17:23  Mr. Tact 

Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 16:42:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 16:00:
That's ridiculous. It sounds every bit as dated as Like a Virgin, or Synchronicity, or Thriller, or most of the hits of the time. They're all good to great songs, but they're songs of their era.
Not sure what that means. Are you saying they wouldn't be hits today? While that could be right, it might not be -- there really isn't any way to tell...
No, I'm saying they're immediately identifiable as from another time. They're dated. Much like Back to the Future is dated. It's still great, but no one sees it and thinks "wow, that must have been made recently!"
Interesting. So, you think someone could approximately predict the creation date of music they don't know? I guess that's certainly true for some music. Not sure I buy it is true for Huey Lewis' music -- but I'm willing to admit it could be true. And I'm certainly not enough of an audiophile to make a solid argument otherwise. Thanks for explaining what you meant.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 17:04 jdreyer

Wrestler dives off shopping mall balcony.

I don't like pro wrestling, but that was beautiful.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 16:43 jdreyer

I had to!

But no, I think it stands the test of time, I just don't agree with the article saying:

Although he gets lumped in with the superstars of the eighties, the songs of Sports—“The Heart of Rock & Roll,” “Heart and Soul,” “I Want a New Drug,” “If This Is It”—don’t sound dated. They don’t even sound like the sixties R&B that inspired them. They’re timeless.

I guess it depends on whether you think other classic songs from the era sound dated. Do Bon Jovi, Journey, or Iron Maiden sound dated?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 16:42 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 16:00:
Not sure what that means. Are you saying they wouldn't be hits today? While that could be right, it might not be -- there really isn't any way to tell...

No, I'm saying they're immediately identifiable as from another time. They're dated. Much like Back to the Future is dated. It's still great, but no one sees it and thinks "wow, that must have been made recently!"

-------------

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 16:15  RedEye9 

At least Human League, Ratt, Aldo Nova and The Fix(x) will never be dated. uNdAteAbLe?  

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 16:05 ForgedReality

Armengar wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 15:34:
ForgedReality wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 11:42:
"complete 40 push-ups or more in a single try "

Wait. 40 in one set?!?!?! Holy fuck. I hope they mean in multiple sets, because 40 is a fuckton to do straight at once.

depends how fast these 40 need to be. With a 5 second recovery after each one it isnt too bad. Im close to 60 and still do 10 each morning (weekday morning only) on a light day, then 15 mins on the rowing machine. Im not exactly athlete status but certainly not fat. 40 would be easy.

I do 70 every morning, but in sets of 10, between climbing floors in my building at work to the top (30th) floor. I do 10 every 5th floor and then 10 more on the way back down. But I know I can't do 40 consecutively. Somehow I doubt they are talking about 5 seconds between each one though.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 16:00  Mr. Tact 

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 15:34 Armengar

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 11:42:
"complete 40 push-ups or more in a single try "

Wait. 40 in one set?!?!?! Holy fuck. I hope they mean in multiple sets, because 40 is a fuckton to do straight at once.

depends how fast these 40 need to be. With a 5 second recovery after each one it isnt too bad. Im close to 60 and still do 10 each morning (weekday morning only) on a light day, then 15 mins on the rowing machine. Im not exactly athlete status but certainly not fat. 40 would be easy.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 15:29 Beamer

I had to!

-------------

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 14:41  Mr. Tact 

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 14:39 Hoop

Great, they gave hipster dog a steak & it wasn't married with a craft beer
to suit the meal & surrounding humidity.

Um .. Behind you...

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >