Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Didn't end up watching any of the Oscars last night. We had no interest, but sometimes I find myself sucked into such things out of curiosity. I also didn't watch any of the debut weekend of the XFL. This is despite being a fan of the NFL, but I don't watch college football, either. I also don't watch much baseball anymore and almost zero basketball or hockey. So I think I only have so much bandwidth for sports. This could partly be attributed to how disappointing the Mets are generally, and how truly wretched the Knicks are, but as I say, I think I may just be at my limit with the pro tackle football I do watch. On the other hand, it seems the New York XFL team won handily, so maybe I'll end up being drawn in by the intoxication of success.

Sporty Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Play: Connect Four.
Links: Oscars 2020 winners: The complete list of results.
Stories: Bill Gates 'not buying our hydrogen yacht.'
World's largest firework set off in Steamboat Springs, breaking records.
America's pig problem. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Solar probe embarks on unprecedented mission to map sun's polar regions. Safer to land on a pole, or the dark side?
Media: How It's (actually) Made - Pre Packaged Sandwiches (NSFW). How's your appetite?
Bill Murray with the best thing youíll see today. Thanks Acleacius.
Painting the Superman: Call to Action PF - Sideshow Behind the Scenes.
The Funnies: System32Comics.
View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 18:53 jdreyer

KilrathiAce wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 02:43:
The fact Uncut Gems was not even nominated or anyone from the cast, tells you how hollywood operates. If you are not within their circle of liking then it wont matter how good work you do. F Oscars.
They used a non-actor in one of the major roles. The Academy hates that. Shame, I heard it's amazing. RT score - 92%

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 11:34  RedEye9 

uncut gems
Released in limited theaters on December 13, 2019, nationwide release on December 25, 2019.
In its limited opening weekend the film made $537,242 from five theaters

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

32. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 09:59 Beamer

The fact Uncut Gems was not even nominated or anyone from the cast, tells you how hollywood operates. If you are not within their circle of liking then it wont matter how good work you do. F Oscars.

"Circle of liking."

It's more involved than that, but whatever, keep thinking you're better.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 09:28  Mr. Tact 

The fact Uncut Gems was not even nominated or anyone from the cast, tells you how hollywood operates.
Never heard of it until reading your post. Watched the trailer, I have to say I am intrigued simply to see Adam Sadler in a non-humor role. If it makes it to the movie channels, I'll give it a whirl.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 02:43 KilrathiAce

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 01:18  Kxmode 

Not many people consider this, but The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home is Star Trek's only continuous trilogy in the entire film series.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 18:46 1badmf

Darks wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:33:
I still cant figure out why Parasite beat out 1911 and Ford Vs Ferrari. Both of those movies were really good. As was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. All of these movies to me were better. Something feels fixed here!

i've only not seen parasite on that list, but i would say it wouldn't be that hard to beat out the others. FvF is a great bro movie, but great art it's not. that's my criteria for best picture - it has to transcend film into the territory of great art, the more innovative the better. once upon a time wasn't very good imo, but i've always thought tarantino was vastly overrated, with a few exceptions.

1917 was the only legit contender that i've seen. i plan to watch parasite this week.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 18:09  Burrito of Peace 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 15:05:
So you have an endless supply of organic pork?

Negative. I am not running the risk of contracting brucellosis, and I don't much like pork.

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 17:38:

Do you eat them?

No. See my response to jdreyer as to why.

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 17:38:
Aren't there any natural predators for them? If not, shouldn't they introduce some?

I am sure there are, just not here. The closest would be coyotes but coyotes aren't very large at all. You're talking about feral pigs that weigh between 100 and, in rare cases, 500 pounds. Wolves are not naturally indigenous to south-east-central Texas.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 17:41 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:38:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:35:
Thus the old saying "You don't want to know how the sausage is made."

Yep -- very very true. I like sausage.

And I like women who like the 'old sausige'.

"Listen, Iím not the nicest guy in the Universe because Iím the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 17:39 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:36:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:33:
I think I bruised a diaphragm while watching that video I was laughing so hard.

The Murray clip? If so, it didn't even get a chuckle out of me -- and I do like Bill Murray. *shrug*

Everyone likes Bill Murray. It must be weird where everywhere you go everyone knows and loves you.

"Listen, Iím not the nicest guy in the Universe because Iím the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 17:38 Cutter

As someone living in rural Texas, javalina, or feral pigs, are a massive nuisance. My Garand in .30-06 drops them nicely, though, without much fuss. Still, clean up is always a giant pain in the ass. Would not recommend.

Do you eat them? Are they good eating? Aren't they just wild boar? Aren't there any natural predators for them? If not, shouldn't they introduce some? In northern climes that's the same problem with deer because they got rid of the wolves. Now with the wolves coming back the deer populations will be getting back into line.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 15:05 jdreyer

I did not watch the Oscars either. In general, I think they, the Academy awards, and pretty much all award shoes are utterly pointless and out of touch with the rest of the country and world.

As someone living in rural Texas, javalina, or feral pigs, are a massive nuisance. My Garand in .30-06 drops them nicely, though, without much fuss. Still, clean up is always a giant pain in the ass. Would not recommend.
So you have an endless supply of organic pork?

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 14:43 Beamer

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 14:37:
Was 1911 the prequel for 1917. Bomb

Technically, the 1911 was the prequel to the M9.

-------------

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 14:37  RedEye9 

Was 1911 the prequel for 1917. Bomb  

Vaccines Cause Immunity

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 14:29 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 13:21:
Well, since Parasite won best picture it automatically goes onto my watch list. Now the questions is, will it fall into "The Artist" category or the "Slumdog Millionaire" category?
One thing to keep in mind about the Academy is that it has a bias towards films that reference Hollywood and acting. Thus The Artist as winning 5 awards that year. 2011 also just wasn't a very good year for best picture. I thought the entire field was pretty weak: the fun but lightweight Moneyball, the overwrought Warhorse, the experimental Tree of Life, Hugo, Midnight in Paris, etc. The Help was probably the best of the bunch.

The Academy bias also explains why Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan in for the '98 Academy Awards.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 14:17 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 13:04:
Darks wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:33:
I still cant figure out why Parasite beat out 1911 and Ford Vs Ferrari. Both of those movies were really good. As was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. All of these movies to me were better. Something feels fixed here!
The Academy Awards does not always have to be a stream of white people walking up to receive a trophy.
Parasite deserved the multiple awards it received.
That's a bit reductive. FvF is a pretty one dimensional story, and Parasite has multiple layers with social commentary and lots of shades of gray spread evenly among its characters. Parasite would have won even if FvF had starred John Cho and Will Smith instead of Damon and Bale. It's just a more interesting, thought provoking story.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 14:15  RedEye9 

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 13:25:
I really loved Once Upon a Time. I'm not a huge Decaprio fan, tend to think he's always acting the same way: "intense!" But he was great in this. Brad Pitt was even better, as always.

But I enjoyed Parasite more.

I know that, next time I talk to my parents, they'll ask if they should watch Parasite. On one hand, they watch literally everything with subtitles on, so that won't be an issue, but I can't imagine them enjoying this. Then again, I thought they would OUATIH, and recommended it to them twice. A week later they call me and tell me they watched a new movie, that one, and it was terrible and I shouldn't watch it. Not only did they hate it, they forgot who told them to see it.
Who knows, your folks might like Parasite.
As for them forgetting who told them about OUATIH, is that something you should be concerned about?

Vaccines Cause Immunity

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 13:46  RedEye9 

El Pit wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 13:21:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 13:10:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 12:18:
The Murray clip? If so, it didn't even get a chuckle out of me -- and I do like Bill Murray. *shrug*

No, the sandwich video.
The Bill Murray video was better, the manís a genius. And heís a better golfer and human being than the national disgrace who has his name on a golf course.

Oh, come on, he wasn't that bad!
I'm still steamed about Idlewild Airport.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 13:25 Beamer

I really loved Once Upon a Time. I'm not a huge Decaprio fan, tend to think he's always acting the same way: "intense!" But he was great in this. Brad Pitt was even better, as always.

But I enjoyed Parasite more.

I know that, next time I talk to my parents, they'll ask if they should watch Parasite. On one hand, they watch literally everything with subtitles on, so that won't be an issue, but I can't imagine them enjoying this. Then again, I thought they would OUATIH, and recommended it to them twice. A week later they call me and tell me they watched a new movie, that one, and it was terrible and I shouldn't watch it. Not only did they hate it, they forgot who told them to see it.

-------------

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 13:21  El Pit 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 13:10:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 12:18:

No, the sandwich video.
The Bill Murray video was better, the manís a genius. And heís a better golfer and human being than the national disgrace who has his name on a golf course.

Oh, come on, he wasn't that bad!

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >