Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Tonight is the annual Academy Awards, celebrating the top athletes in the world of competitive acting. As usual, I don't have much to say about this, since I see most of my movies after they make their transition out of the theaters. As far as I can tell, I've only seen two movies that collected any nominations. The main one is the Irishman, which I saw thanks to its Netflix partnership, and is in a bunch of categories, including Best Picture. The other is Avengers: Endgame, which I see is up for a Visual Effects Oscar™, as is the Irishman. I guess I'm rooting for the Avengers after Marty was a dick about superhero movies. For a more informed look at the topic, here are the the annual predictions from our old comrade loonyboi (thanks Frans). Perhaps more significantly for me, today is National Pizza Day here in the U.S. I probably won't be celebrating since I had a whole load of it yesterday at the children's birthday party. It wasn't very good, either, but I was hungry, so there it was. If you want to take advantage of this "celebration," Neutronbeam sent along a handy article listing the opportunity to take advantage of some promotions at various chains (speaking of bad pizza). Here's to a hopeful future when we can manage to unite the world in an International Pizza Day.

Obituary: Robert Conrad dead at 84: Remembering the Wild Wild West star.

Oscar-Worthy Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Stories: Wreck's Identification 95 Years After Ship's Disappearance Puts Theories To Rest. Spoiler: Not aliens. Thanks RedEye.
Board-game piece from period of first Viking raid found on Lindisfarne.
Science: Rain may soon be an effective source of renewable energy.
Media: HeroStorm Ep 70 "Attack on Cho'gall."
Diesel Train Stunts - Brio trains parkour.
Baby in Pipe Saved by Brave Kid.
Follow-up: 'Enemy of mankind'- Coronavirus deaths top SARS as China returns to work.
Scientists question work suggesting pangolin coronavirus link. Thanks Max.
View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue - Oscars Feb 15, 2020, 12:36  RedEye9 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 08:09:
Ford v. Ferrari was awesome but I am a car guy. They softpedaled on how much of an underhanded dick Shelby could be but they got Miles spot on. Christian Bale did a phenomenal job. Bernthal was damn good as Iacocca as well.
Not a car guy but I like cars. Had no idea about Le Mans history (Such as no American car has won since 66-69) nor Miles demise.
Normally I break up long movies into multiple sittings but this one kept my continued interest to the end.
Definitely worth recommending.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue - Oscars Feb 10, 2020, 08:09  Burrito of Peace 

I enjoyed Joker in the sense that it was interesting if nothing else and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Though anything is better than Leto's performance.

Ford v. Ferrari was awesome but I am a car guy. They softpedaled on how much of an underhanded dick Shelby could be but they got Miles spot on. Christian Bale did a phenomenal job. Bernthal was damn good as Iacocca as well. Of course, the roar of the 427 at 7000RPM was auditory nirvana to me. Small bit of trivia is that the 427 that was dropped in the GT was originally designed for NASCAR use which is why it had gobs of torque and literally just loped down the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans whereas the Ferrari's V12 was screaming at a much higher RPM. There was a significant amount of stock available due to Chrysler whining to NASCAR leading NASCAR to ban the 427. Although the Ford 429 would have been a more ideal block for the GT, the 427 was a tall, narrow block which allowed it fit within the rear wheel wells along with its "basket of snakes" exhaust setup. This was because when Lola designed the T70 (which the Ford GT started life as), it was originally intended for a high revving, free breathing four cylinder or inline six. The 429, being a shorter and wider block, would not have fit within the car without major redesign.

Saw Star Wars and it was...ok at best. No spoilers for those that haven't seen it but the Mary Sue McGuffin was really, really weak and there are so many plot holes in it that it might legally be allowed to qualify as a sieve.

The Lighthouse was a solid entry in to the slow burn horror genre. I would recommend it if you're in to that type of horror movie as it has zero pointless jump scares.

Ad Astra was two hours of daddy issues. One of the weakest sci fi films in recent history. If you skip it, you aren't missing anything.

1917, Jojo Rabbit, and The Two Popes is on my list to watch. Haven't seen any of the other movies mentioned nor do I have an interest in doing so.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

25. Re: Out of the Blue - Oscars Feb 10, 2020, 06:40 Jonjonz

The Oscars are about as relevant as the MTV music awards.

They have to give out the awards each year no matter if 99% of the movies each year are crap, like this last year. 1917 was the only halfway decent movie to my tastes, the rest were all B grade or worse.

The Oscars and the movie industry used to be run by people, now they are run by globalized muti-national corporations who just want bread and circuses with low production costs.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 05:51  RedEye9 

verybad1 wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 00:06:
Prez wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 18:26:
Speaking of movies, it's pretty disheartening to see how badly Birds of Prey is doing despite it reviewing pretty well. The marketing has been shit.
It does look pretty bad IMO though. I saw only one review and it said it was worse than bad, just really bad.
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/birds-of-prey-and-the-fantabulous-emancipation-of-one-harley-quinn
It also was hammered at metacritic with both scores in the 60's.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 03:24 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 15:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 14:39:
Isn't it mysterious how in China, the virus ceases spreading right as work starts?

Just look at that curve, that ain't how viral infections work
I think it's just coincidence. The Chinese have been under heavy quarantine for 2 weeks, so follows that new cases would begin to taper off due to those actions.

Took me a while but apparently that site I linked doesn't take the real time numbers into account at all, so you always get a bump where the day cut-off is from old and new numbers mismatching.. actual numbers for China are here ncov.dxy.cn

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 00:12 Beamer

verybad1 wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 00:06:
Speaking of movies, it's pretty disheartening to see how badly Birds of Prey is doing despite it reviewing pretty well. The marketing has been shit.
It does look pretty bad IMO though. I saw only one review and it said it was worse than bad, just really bad.

80% on rotten tomatoes, which is great for a DC movie. I won't watch, not my type of movie, but reviews were very good and word of mouth pretty strong.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 00:06 verybad1

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 23:32  RedEye9 

wow, parasite did it!
that'll make loonyboi happy

Vaccines Cause Immunity

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 21:53  Kxmode 

BREAKING NEWS: Eminem has just become the first celebrity diagnosed with Coronavirus. In a statement released by doctors, they reveal that his palms were sweaty, knees weak, and arms were heavy. He was present with vomit on his sweater already. Initial testing has shown it was mom's spaghetti.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Dreams Feb 9, 2020, 21:36  Kxmode 

Most of my dreams unfold like movies and many tend to be so vivid that I can recall them when I wake long enough to jot it down. Here's my latest:

- Dark land, or land at night.
- Group of people, perhaps university students on a field trip
- They are inside ruins of an ancient structure
- The main character brings along an orb
- Orb lights up, and something within the ruins lights up
- The main character and a few friends leave ruin
- The sphere gives the main character a telepathic warning
- Main character warns friends they need to touch the orb now, something terrible is going to happen in a few moments
- Convinced, the friends touch the orb
- At that moment a concussion wave of energy eliminates
- Concurrently the globe is broken into quarter pieces; each piece still protects them
- Orb tells characters to go inside and climb to the roof of the ruins
- It guides them to a futuristic ladder in a vast square-shaped shaft
- They climb
- The last climber looks down to see a group of people slamming up against the wall, instantly killed
- Concurrently main character reaches the roof
- The last person is startled by the grisly display and loosens grip on orb piece
- Orb piece disconnects from hands
- The individual is immediately thrown up against the opposite wall (dead) and falls to the surface below
- Immediately following the other two parts from the non-main characters dislodge and those people get thrown from the ladder to the opposite wall (dead)
- The pieces reassemble back, and the main character is overwhelmed with power to the point of entering a vision state
- In very rapid fashion see:
--- Current time reverses to the beginning
--- Time proceeds to the future
--- The land covered in water
--- Time reverses back
--- Water recedes
- Character passes out
- Wake up in a room with a man and child
- Man looks like its father and acts more like its caretaker
- The apartment has an L-shape quaintness
- The room extends into a kitchen; the other side continues to a bedroom
--- Man, "The child is always sad."
--- Main character: "May I try?"
--- Man, "Sure, why not."
- Character entertains child; the child is happy
- The man is relieved states, "I've tried everything for the past decade."
--- "Past decade? How old is this child?"
--- "I cannot say. We don't know."
--- "We? Where am I?"
- The man knows he said too much.
- Suddenly there's a constant pounding at the door in the kitchen
- The man runs to the bedroom and grabs what appears to be a weapon of an unknown shape
- As he rushes to the kitchen door, it opens to reveals uniformed individuals; likely brandishing military weapons
- They shoot the man and rush over to character and baby
- One grabs the baby, and another runs up to the main character and becomes confused. They ask for a name.
--- "Anders"
- Even more confused
- They hear a voice tell them to "put that one in the bay."
- Suddenly the character is jolted by something; the individuals did not touch him.
--- "Remove him now!"
- Quickly, they remove Anders and bring him to the bay
- The bay is a beach of sorts that is near the structure but secluded behind rocky outcrops
- Anders begins to experience pulses, not unlike those he felt before passing out.
- A group of people find him and take him to their camp.

[I don't remember this part of the dream]

- Anders returns to the structure with a group of people intent on stopping the people in the structure
- The group runs up to a rock face, and lean over to observe several guards
- At that moment, Anders looks up to see "Anders" vertically imprinted on the structure
--- "That's why they didn't kill me."
- Group doesn't follow.
--- "I run that operation."
--- "How is that possible?"
--- "I don't know, but it appears there are different versions of me here."
- The group doesn't quite understand but acknowledges it'll now be much easier to get past the guards.

[This is where I woke up]

I wager the rest of the dream goes something like this.

- The baby is Anders too.
- The machine was created by a military contract to control and reverse time when outcomes didn't go to plan
- The orb is a technology developed by Anders to stop the machine
- Anders appears to coexist at the same time as a man, an older man, and a baby (the baby of which seems to age substantially slower)
- The ruins are the Anders building in a future time
- The orbs held by Anders comes from the past.
- Entering the ruins enables the orb, resulting in turning on the machine.
- Thrust through time, Anders ripped apart to form a child who ages slowly and a man who appears in the past with no memory of who he is.
- Eventually, Anders learns he is trapped in a looping paradox and that he can end it, but he must kill Anders, who runs the business and take his place.
- He betrays the group he's with, effectively now becoming the future version of himself who told the guards to toss him in the bay.
- The baby grows up over the next hundreds of years.
- By then the structure has become a frail ruin, and the machine deactivated
- The young Anders takes a field trip with classmates to a deserted island.
- My dream starts here: "Dark land or land at night."
- Eventually, in one of these loops, the child would have learned the truth and stopped the paradox, ending its life but averting a disaster that keeps repeating itself.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 20:36 jdreyer

Wolfen wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 16:17:
My friends that work at Tencent have confirmed the new start date of Feb 21.

My work (also game dev) is doing staggered start dates. So a large portion of people in the Shanghai studio won't be starting until the 17th. I am one of the few returning to work today.

Of course this could all change. Things change.

It's definitely still been a bit of a ghost town here in comparison to normal times.

Pretty much everyone wears masks. Lots of meal and grocery deliveries going on. In fact aside from some random cars and buss's that's mainly all you see on the streets are the scooters delivering goods and foods.

I will say that most everyone seems very positive here that I have spoken with or seen. Generally seem to be smiling (from what I can see under the masks by squinting eyes and waves hello). Though for obvious reasons most people are also steering clear of each other. A nice change for my preference as typically in this country personal space isn't really thought about much normally.

Personally in the "wechat" groups I am in most are NOT really talking negatively about this. Though I am not connected with the mainline weibo streams so I don't know what's going on there. Very well could be a lot of doubt about numbers and government.

There is a lot of quarantining of sorts going on. For example my building started with not allowing deliveries to come to our floors and only let them in the lobby. Now they have moved food deliveries to OUTSIDE near the front gate. Still allowing boxed deliveries to lobby though.

I have heard of buildings in some provinces being fully locked down. Local police locking up entire apartment compounds and only delivering food a couple times a week. Haven't heard of that in Shanghai though. But also it wasn't in Hubei / Wuhan (though I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing it there). I saw a recent video going around that showed some one, possibly a guard at a compound with police locking a family into their own home.

Their are temp checks at borders in most towns / cities. Shanghai is doing it. And if you are coming in they ask you to self quarantine for 14 days. Regardless of high temp.

Many commercial buildings management will have temp checks of people entering for work or shopping (of the places that are open). Government in Shanghai is mandating double checks a day for employees for temps and status updates.

A lot of this stuff can vary from province and city though. Each local government sort of does their own thing. In general though there is a lot of work going on to try and prevent the spread.

A lot of foreigners have left or are considering it. I am a foreigner but I plan on sticking it out.

Hang in there man, things should be over in a couple of weeks. By then, they'll know who's infected and who isn't.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 18:51  RedEye9 

Still haven't seen Joker yet. For some reason I haven't felt compelled. I am looking forward to when 1917 makes it to streaming. I only go to theaters on rare occasion any more. Come to think of it I rarely leave the house at all except to work and pick up supplies out in town.

eh
CinemaScore shows both the HarleyQuinn movies at B+. There's a reason opening night movie goer's rated both poorly.

As for joker, it was nothing special.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 18:45 Beamer

Still haven't seen Joker yet. For some reason I haven't felt compelled. I am looking forward to when 1917 makes it to streaming. I only go to theaters on rare occasion any more. Come to think of it I rarely leave the house at all except to work and pick up supplies out in town.

Joker just looks like a half-baked, off-brand 70s Scorcese.

I really enjoyed Parasite and Once Upon... Brad Pitt killed it in that one. Killed it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 18:26  Prez 

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 18:23  Topaz 

I can heartily recommend 1917. It had a well-crafted script and it really drew me into the story.

I expect it to win at least 2 Oscars. It's nominated for 10.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 18:23  Mr. Tact 

MattyC wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 18:14:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 15:58:
Only seen two of the 38,which feels low for me. Might have to make more of an effort to get out to seem films this year. There are some on the list I will watch when I get a chance. Seen Endgame and Rise of Skywalker.

Interested in seeing:
Once Upon a Time in ... Hollywood
Marriage Story
Ad Astra
The Irishman

Might eventually watch:
Joker
Rocketman
Frozen II
Ford v. Ferrari
Maleficent
Edge of Democracy
Parasite

I would say your interest list is pretty much all must see with the exception of Ad Astra. It wasn’t bad but you could take it or leave it. Ford v Ferrari could go in its place pretty easily if you like cars or are into that particular story. It has some great bits of cinematography.
Yeah, I'm not expecting a lot out of "Ad Astra" but I can't skip a major sci-fi movie. I'm not a car guy per se, don't like working on cars or have any loyalties to particular manufacturers -- but I really like driving.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 18:14 MattyC

Only seen two of the 38,which feels low for me. Might have to make more of an effort to get out to seem films this year. There are some on the list I will watch when I get a chance. Seen Endgame and Rise of Skywalker.

Interested in seeing:
Once Upon a Time in ... Hollywood
Marriage Story
Ad Astra
The Irishman

Might eventually watch:
Joker
Rocketman
Frozen II
Ford v. Ferrari
Maleficent
Edge of Democracy
Parasite

I would say your interest list is pretty much all must see with the exception of Ad Astra. It wasn’t bad but you could take it or leave it. Ford v Ferrari could go in its place pretty easily if you like cars or are into that particular story. It has some great bits of cinematography.

I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 18:09  Wolfen 

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 16:46:
Interesting, lots of that never reached the news here. Kudos to you for writing it out

Some one had asked me a few days ago to keep posted here about it haha. Figured I would do an update since at least in Shanghai it's the official day to return to work. There does seem to be a soft suggestion of don't open if you don't have to though. I am betting that a lot of places that don't have to won't.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 17:26 Cutter

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - pretty good
Marriage Story - don't care
1917 - will watch it
Ad Astra - pretty bad
The Irishman - pretty sad

Might eventually watch:
Joker - will watch
Rocketman - no
Frozen II - Hell no
Ford v. Ferrari - Great flick!
Maleficent - nope
Edge of Democracy - ?
Parasite - no

Fuck the Oscars and the uber liberal SJW bullshit.

RIP RC. Never heard of that Wild Wild West TV show guess it must have been America only. I was a fan of Baa Baa Black Sheep as a kid however.

"Listen, I’m not the nicest guy in the Universe because I’m the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 17:16 verybad1

Wolfen wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 16:17:
A lot of foreigners have left or are considering it. I am a foreigner but I plan on sticking it out.

Good luck and good health, hope everything goes well.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >