Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

When we moved to our new home I spent a lot of time speculating about when the ducks on the nearby pond would migrate south for the winter. It turns out the answer was never, as they've stuck around despite the cold. This is true of all the pond birds, as the swans and herons have remained here all along as well, and the geese who were driven off for the summer have even returned. One change that was I was not anticipating seems to have happened, however, as there are now only two swans where they had been three. I did a little Googling, and one source said cygnets tend to stay with their parents until the spring after hatching, but another said this is unusual and they usually leave at between five and 10 months. Since their offspring is now nowhere to be seen, I can only hope the latter source is correct, and this is because he made his way to his new life already.

Obituary: Chinese Doctor, Silenced After Warning of Outbreak, Dies From Coronavirus.

Fledgling Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Links: 5 Cheap(ish) Things to Make the Perfect Cup of Coffee. Thanks Neutronbeam.
The Best Board Games of the Ancient World.
Stories: ‘The Matrix 4’ Kicks Off Filming With Keanu Reeves, but This Is Not the Neo You Remember. Paleo? Thanks Kxmode.
Shock after alcohol flows from kitchen taps in Kerala. Thanks ViperFour.
Disney apologizes to school that was charged for showing 'The Lion King.' Not hakuna matata.
Science: First clinical trial of gene editing to help target cancer.
A new implant for blind people jacks directly into the brain. Thanks Max.
Cave full of bats in China identified as source of virus almost identical to the one killing hundreds today. Thanks Max.
Images: Bizarre Paintings Of Mecha Robots And Werewolves Attacking East European Peasants Of The Early 20th Century. Thanks Max.
Dilbert feels you (created in Soul Calibur VI on Xbox One).
Media: Honest Trailers - The Oscars (2020).
Fictional Buildings Size Comparison.
Fingerprint-RFID Lock Defeated With a Paperclip (Mengqi-Control).
Follow-up: Mapping the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak. Thanks RedEye9.
View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 15:11 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Feb 8, 2020, 08:56:
I learned a pair of neat tricks that I wanted to share with you.

Google Docs has a recording tool that will transcribe what you say into text. While it doesn't do too well on punctuation, it kills it with words. If you speak clearly, your words will transcribe accurately. I'd say the quality of this tool is on the same level as commercial apps like Nuance's Dragon app, but free with no restrictions. So that's awesome!

Even better, the second trick I learned is you can place your headset with a microphone next to a speaker and play ANY voice recording. The recording tool will record that as if it was your voice coming through the mic. I tested it out extensively for a couple of hours, and it is crazy how accurate it is.

Edit: Here's an unedited, raw example of about a minute and half from this Fresh Air program.

"Film critic Justin Chang has a review of the new Russian movie beanpole which she says is one of the most exciting discoveries he made at last year's Cannes Film Festival the movie want a prize at Cannes what's 28 year old director, Mirabelle ago and was shortlisted for an Oscar for best International feature it set in Leningrad shortly after World War I hear testin one of the first things you here and bean pole is the sound of a woman gasping for air her name is e and that she comes into view we see that she is staring into space experiencing something between a seizure and a Fugue State she has these episodes every so often her body freezes up 4 minutes at a time and mobilizing her and making it difficult for her to breathe it's an apt metaphor for The Bleak and beautifully acted drama which takes place in Leningrad in 1945 a moment when the Shell Shocked Russian populist is struggling to catch its Collective breath EF brilliantly played by Victoria nourishing shampoo is the 6ft tall beanpole of the title but although she's physically imposing she's a quiet recessive presents rarely and with her eyes almost always cast downward we learned that she was briefly station with the Red Army it's not entirely clear what her role was until she was diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome and discharged now she works as a nurse dutifully tending to wounded vets and coming to life only in the presence of her young son paschke"

Transcribing the name Pashka into paschke is quite impressive.
Good to know. Thanks.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2020, 08:56  Kxmode 

I learned a pair of neat tricks that I wanted to share with you.

Google Docs has a recording tool that will transcribe what you say into text. While it doesn't do too well on punctuation, it kills it with words. If you speak clearly, your words will transcribe accurately. I'd say the quality of this tool is on the same level as commercial apps like Nuance's Dragon app, but free with no restrictions. So that's awesome!

Even better, the second trick I learned is you can place your headset with a microphone next to a speaker and play ANY voice recording. The recording tool will record that as if it was your voice coming through the mic. I tested it out extensively for a couple of hours, and it is crazy how accurate it is.

Edit: Here's an unedited, raw example of about a minute and half from this Fresh Air program.

"Film critic Justin Chang has a review of the new Russian movie beanpole which she says is one of the most exciting discoveries he made at last year's Cannes Film Festival the movie want a prize at Cannes what's 28 year old director, Mirabelle ago and was shortlisted for an Oscar for best International feature it set in Leningrad shortly after World War I hear testin one of the first things you here and bean pole is the sound of a woman gasping for air her name is e and that she comes into view we see that she is staring into space experiencing something between a seizure and a Fugue State she has these episodes every so often her body freezes up 4 minutes at a time and mobilizing her and making it difficult for her to breathe it's an apt metaphor for The Bleak and beautifully acted drama which takes place in Leningrad in 1945 a moment when the Shell Shocked Russian populist is struggling to catch its Collective breath EF brilliantly played by Victoria nourishing shampoo is the 6ft tall beanpole of the title but although she's physically imposing she's a quiet recessive presents rarely and with her eyes almost always cast downward we learned that she was briefly station with the Red Army it's not entirely clear what her role was until she was diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome and discharged now she works as a nurse dutifully tending to wounded vets and coming to life only in the presence of her young son paschke"

Transcribing the name Pashka into paschke is quite impressive.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2020, 09:34.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2020, 08:12  Burrito of Peace 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2020, 02:39:
And you call yourself an American. For shame, sir!

If we go by the Boston Tea Party, that makes me one Hell of an American because it implies that proto-Americans were drinking tea long before coffee!

1badmf wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 20:20:
n-word plz. real gamers drink mtn. dew.

Ugh, that's just nasty. Might as well just drink Karo.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

18. Re: Damnit Man Feb 8, 2020, 02:42 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 20:26:
1badmf wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 20:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 17:56:
People who are quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess in Japan have been wondering how long their isolation would last. On Friday, a health official gave an answer they might not like: the quarantine will be extended every time a new case of the Wuhan coronavirus is confirmed on the ship.
bummer
npr

if that's the case then they might as well get the infected to cough on everyone and get it over with. they'll get off the ship sooner vs waiting for everyone to get infected 1 by 1, which seems inevitable.
so much for a 3 hour tour
The Diamond Princess will be renamed Mobro 4000.

I suppose eventually they'll run out of food and have to eat the dead. They just need to cook them well enough to kill the virus.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2020, 02:39 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 12:36:
The cheapest way to make coffee is to not make it at all and drink tea like a civilized human being.
And you call yourself an American. For shame, sir!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2020, 02:38 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 11:49:
Clippy would be proud. https://www.sadanduseless.com/helpful-clippy/

College humor is no more.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2020, 20:50  Kxmode 

From Blizzard’s last six months have shown a rapidly changing company:

The 2019 reveal of Overwatch 2, for example, seemed to surprise and confuse many, given that the first game came out in the spring of 2016. Blizzard doesn’t typically make sequels this quickly. It’s especially perplexing when you consider that Blizzard says it will continue to update the first game with content included in the sequel. Overwatch 2 maps and characters will also make an appearance in Overwatch, in an attempt to give fans “a shared multiplayer environment where no one gets left behind,” according to series director Jeff Kaplan.

It’s a cool idea, but it also makes you wonder why a sequel exists when the company could just continue to update and change the existing game. The whole thing starts to make sense, though, if you factor in Activision’s desire to sell more games.

That reminds of the scene in Tron: Legacy.

Alan Bradley: Excuse me?
Richard Mackey: Yes... Alan?
Alan Bradley: Given the prices we charge to students and schools, what sort of improvements have been made in Flynn... I mean, um, ENCOM OS-12?
Richard Mackey: This year we put a "12" on the box.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: Damnit Man Feb 7, 2020, 20:26  RedEye9 

1badmf wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 20:19:
People who are quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess in Japan have been wondering how long their isolation would last. On Friday, a health official gave an answer they might not like: the quarantine will be extended every time a new case of the Wuhan coronavirus is confirmed on the ship.
bummer
npr

if that's the case then they might as well get the infected to cough on everyone and get it over with. they'll get off the ship sooner vs waiting for everyone to get infected 1 by 1, which seems inevitable.
so much for a 3 hour tour
The Diamond Princess will be renamed Mobro 4000.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2020, 20:20 1badmf

The cheapest way to make coffee is to not make it at all and drink tea like a civilized human being.

n-word plz. real gamers drink mtn. dew.

12. Re: Damnit Man Feb 7, 2020, 20:19 1badmf

bummer
npr

11. Re: Damnit Man Feb 7, 2020, 19:40 Hoop

Ok people settle down, we were going to let you all off today but coughing Cathy over here has just sentenced you all to another how many f'ing days more. Cathy stand up let everyone see your miserable flaccid infected face, stand up, that's it stand up. Cathy....someone there hold her up, yeah grab her arm... & the other one, stand up Cath.

Um .. Behind you...

10. Damnit Man Feb 7, 2020, 17:56  RedEye9 

bummer
npr

Vaccines Cause Immunity

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2020, 15:44  Burrito of Peace 

Kxmode wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 14:32:

Even cheaper than that. Get eight hours of sleep.

That isn't a reality for most people. Let alone those of us way out on the fringe.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2020, 14:32  Kxmode 

Even cheaper than that. Get eight hours of sleep.

7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Feb 7, 2020, 14:05 Drath71

Awesome art! I really enjoyed looking at it, what talent and imagination.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2020, 14:01  PhysicalEd 

I love that art by Jakub Rozalski, it reminds me very much of http://simonstalenhag.se/ (which I also might have found here), but in a different setting. At first I thought that Simon Stålenhag had gone in a different direction, though looking at them side by side their differences are clear. Amazing stuff.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2020, 13:47  Kxmode 

Chinese Doctor, Silenced After Warning of Outbreak, Dies From Coronavirus.

In death, a member of China's Mayhem has a name. His name is Li Wenliang.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2020, 12:36  Burrito of Peace 

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2020, 12:21 Cutter

Those paintings are fantastisch! Very cool website actually. Lot's of amazing prints for sale. The only problem being most of them are too small. Jakub Rozalski also has prints for sale. It's a shame he doesn't have the one I really like or I'd totes buy it.

"Listen, I’m not the nicest guy in the Universe because I’m the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2020, 11:49  RedEye9 

Clippy would be proud. https://www.sadanduseless.com/helpful-clippy/  

Vaccines Cause Immunity

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >