Users Savage Warcraft III: Reforged

Hell hath no fury like a gamer scorned. As of this writing the User Score on Metacritic for Warcraft III: Reforged for PC stands at 0.5 out of ten, just a shade ahead of John Blutarsky's GPA. As noted on Screenrant, this gives Blizzard's real-time strategy remake the dubious distinction of being the lowest user-rated game in Metacritic history. It currently sports a 63 metascore based on the opinions six professional critics, but the 18,353 user reviews completely savage the new release. If you sort them by "most helpful, there is one rating of 1 on the first page of results, and the remainder are 0. According to the breakdown, there are 697 positive reviews, 158 mixed reviews, and 17,498 negative ones.
View : : :
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged
Feb 3, 2020, 14:30
Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 3, 2020, 14:30
Feb 3, 2020, 14:30

Kxmode wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 14:13:
Was hoping to see a zoom out that went out further than the original. On a 4K, the zoom out should let me see at least a huge area of the map.

But that would have broken multiplayer 100110010101011!11011!

Is what the devs would have replied to you. The idea to limit it to MP and unlock it in SP/Skirmish eluded them alas, like much else

Feb 3, 2020, 14:13
Kxmode

Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 3, 2020, 14:13
Feb 3, 2020, 14:13
 Kxmode

Was hoping to see a zoom out that went out further than the original. On a 4K, the zoom out should let me see at least a huge area of the map.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Feb 3, 2020, 12:57
Verno

Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 3, 2020, 12:57
Feb 3, 2020, 12:57
 Verno

I refunded it, they have an automated refund process now. I can live with the other flaws but the lack of a real UI update, no keybinding interface, no WASD camera control option or etc made it too much of a chore to play. Also the animations were really stiff despite the increased frame rate. They really needed to do more to justify the price. It's a big campaign but it feels like very little was done outside of modeling and textures. Needs a lot of QOL work.
Playing: Trials of Mana Remake, FF7R
Watching: Into the Light

Feb 3, 2020, 10:44
Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 3, 2020, 10:44
Feb 3, 2020, 10:44

Xero wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 15:56:
Yeah so in short, I'm probably not going to ask for a refund because who knows, maybe Blizzard actually gets their development back involved with this to fix this disaster.

Why not refund and just buy it back if they do? Sort of sound like a battered woman hoping the old man will change.

removed
Feb 3, 2020, 09:59
removed Feb 3, 2020, 09:59
Feb 3, 2020, 09:59

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 3, 2020, 10:19.

Feb 3, 2020, 08:54
Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 3, 2020, 08:54
Feb 3, 2020, 08:54

I'd agree. There is no hope now. Now it is, Blizzard is a money hungry customer exploiting developer who you never expect anything from. Now it will be, if they make a game which isn't a stinking pile, we will pat them on the head and say, good job boy.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode
Feb 3, 2020, 08:40
Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Feb 3, 2020, 08:40
Feb 3, 2020, 08:40

phinn wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 08:32:
It's because all of the competent devs left at Blizzard are busy putting their heart and souls into Diablo 4.

One can hope.
Stop hoping. Just wait until release. Enjoy the game, when it turns out fine and ignore it, when it is shit. But, please, STOP hoping, because thats how they get you all the time. Blizzard just exploits the emotional connection between their fans and the company name to maximize profits. Like every major does. Blizzard now is like every other shit major publisher. The adaption is finished, the caterpillar has finally hatched.

Feb 3, 2020, 08:32
Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 3, 2020, 08:32
Feb 3, 2020, 08:32

It's because all of the competent devs left at Blizzard are busy putting their heart and souls into Diablo 4.

One can hope.

Feb 3, 2020, 07:57
Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 3, 2020, 07:57
Feb 3, 2020, 07:57

DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 15:17:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 15:09:
My understanding is that if you are a Warcraft 3 vet, the servers are being shut down and you have to play this POS going forward.

edit- noticed some others also pointed this out. This is the true crime here.

Agreed. I bought the original games. I haven't played them for awhile so I don't know how much truth there is to this claim. But if it's true it's one of the most disrespectful aspects of the new release.

EDIT: It looks like you can still play your original Warcraft III games online if you only update your installed version to a specific patch version.

[url=]https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/for-those-who-want-to-play-classic-warcraft-3/15598[/url]

So, all is not lost quite yet.

Not really. Read the article you linked. Its instructions on how to play local LAN games with the old client, and instructions on how to setup a VPN in order to plan LAN mode over the internet. You can NOT signup and play over battle.net using the old client.

Feb 3, 2020, 00:03
Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 3, 2020, 00:03
Feb 3, 2020, 00:03

As I said...
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 14:38:
If your plan was to piss off all the people who said they loved Warcraft III -- you would be hard pressed to do better than they accomplished.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Feb 3, 2020, 00:00
Prez

Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 3, 2020, 00:00
Feb 3, 2020, 00:00
 Prez

The trick is, I think, knowing when to trust user review scores and when not to. Paid reviews by gaming journalists and critics have their place, sure, and I read a bunch of them, but personally I tend to rely more on user reviews than on 'professional' reviews. In most cases that aren't high profile ones like this, genuine user reviews are better sources for information. Many of them focus on one major pro or con, and compiled together they help paint a pretty complete picture of the game's overall quality.

Of course this is a special case, and, indeed, so was the aforementioned "Gary's Incident". Many might not remember but the late great John Bain (a.k.a. Total Biscuit) did a video playthrough of the game and was extremely critical of it. The developer got mad and filed a frivolous DMCA takedown with Youtube over it. Needless to say, the millions of TB's followers did not take kindly to it and struck back by review bombing the game. Look at the rest of the lowest review score games on Metacritic. Take2's disgusting monetization of their sports games has landed them there the same way. And I don't think anyone needs an explanation as to why EA's Star Wars Battlefront 2 got there after the shit they pulled with that game.

Point is, it should be pretty easy to tell when a game has raised the ire of the gaming community and the negative reviews are about more than the game's quality. In the modern games market, there aren't many ways to get a publisher's attention in any meaningful way, but you can bet Blizzard noticed that their game has the dubious honor of having the lowest metacritic score in history. In terms of getting quality reviews, it isn't helpful, but as one of the few remaining ways to let the publisher know that the community is disgusted, I find it perfectly acceptable.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 2, 2020, 23:52
Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 2, 2020, 23:52
Feb 2, 2020, 23:52

RaZ0r! wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 23:09:
I found these via Reddit. The comparison video is pretty telling.

Warcraft 3 Reforged: BlizzCon 2018 vs. Launch 2020 Comparison
https://youtu.be/kwG5ct900B0
Okay, that is freaking hilarious.

Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Released
Feb 2, 2020, 23:51
Kxmode

Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Released Feb 2, 2020, 23:51
Feb 2, 2020, 23:51
 Kxmode

"This gives Blizzard's real-time strategy remake the dubious distinction of being the lowest user-rated game in Metacritic history." It's not real if the users went out of their way to up-vote games like Day One: Garry's Incident, Ghostbusters (Xbox One), and other titles that earned their positions of worse rated. In the past, Metacritic has removed these kinds of reviews. So if the original goal was to send Blizzard a message, that message could get lost if MetaCritic decides to remove reviews they deem as fake. Suddenly W3R jumps up to 4 or 5.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Feb 2, 2020, 23:09
RaZ0r!

Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 2, 2020, 23:09
Feb 2, 2020, 23:09
 RaZ0r!

I found these via Reddit. The comparison video is pretty telling.

Warcraft 3 Reforged: BlizzCon 2018 vs. Launch 2020 Comparison
https://youtu.be/kwG5ct900B0

Warcraft III Refunded: 17 Years Down the Drain
https://youtu.be/xAyP2E84rCY
I pwnz j00!

Feb 2, 2020, 23:08
Kxmode

Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Released Feb 2, 2020, 23:08
Feb 2, 2020, 23:08
 Kxmode

JohnBirshire wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 14:33:
This wasn't news to anyone who was paying any attention whatsoever. The forums were a riot during the entire beta process, people were cancelling preorders left and right. I can't believe how many people buy stuff then complain about it immediately afterwards. Do a bare modicum of research before buying something and you will save yourself a lot of grief in life.

It's a bit more nuance than that. Truth in advertising stipulates businesses follow basic ethical rules. The FTC exists to protect consumers from companies that outright lie about their products. But I agree with preorders. Until publishers can be trusted to deliver on what they promise, then they don't deserve a single preorder dime.

Feb 2, 2020, 22:43
Kxmode

Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Released Feb 2, 2020, 22:43
Feb 2, 2020, 22:43
 Kxmode

It's worth noting people have engaged in vote-rigging, by giving games like Day One: Garry's Incident fake higher score to artificially inflate the score so that W3R can take its spot. DO:GI previously held the worst rating at 0.4. Ghostbusters on Xbox One is another game that received fake reviews to artificially lift it up so that W3R could take its place. This is the primary reason I distrust scores on MetaCritic.

Feb 2, 2020, 19:31
Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 2, 2020, 19:31
Feb 2, 2020, 19:31

Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 16:32:
I'm going to guess that a lot of the user reviews are by people who didn't even buy Reforged. Whether you bought it or not, apparently original WC3 was automatically downgraded to have many of the changes Reforged made to the interface and functionality. Most shocking is that custom campaigns just don't work anymore. There's many a reddit post on it. This might be avoided if you run the OG WC3 outside of the launcher I guess, if that's even possible.
Metacritic is known to allow even bots to post massive assaults of reviews.
I had that one time when I rated a game that didnt have one single review on it for weeks after release. After I put one in (which wasnt viewing it that great) suddenly dozens and dozens of reviews popped up, all 10/10, by accounts that only reviewed that one game, and my review got 100% downvoted by all of them. This happened over the course of a few days. Not a single other one posted a review of anything different than 0/10 or 10/10 in that time.
But 0/10 they did vote, because the exact opposite happened in the exact same fashion, but just not nearly as numerous, so that the total rating still stayed very good. Again accounts with only this game review on their history voted it 0/10. 100% of them voted my review up.

When editing my review mentioning that in it and reporting it to Metacritic, nothing was done, except my mention of this manipulation in my review being deleted.

Look at it yourself:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/last-year/user-reviews?sort-by=date&num_items=100

So yeah, I dont trust metacritic ratings anymore. If small devs like this do shit like that and Metacritic tolerates it and even deletes mentions of that manipulations, I dont want to know what big corporations do.
About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Feb 2, 2020, 16:48
Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 2, 2020, 16:48
Feb 2, 2020, 16:48

So, I have Reforged. It is painfully obvious that it’s not up to Blizzard standards. The character animations alone make it look ancient, and they were held back by making it multiplayer-compatible with the original game. That means no improved landscape geometry, garbage framerate animations, and a nearly two decade old interface.

The campaign looks better than the original, but honestly it looks like what your *memory* of the original version is. I was expecting it to at least be up to SC2’s level, but it’s not even close.

Also, only the opening cinematic was redone. The rest are muddy upsamples of the originals.

Feb 2, 2020, 16:32
Prez

Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 2, 2020, 16:32
Feb 2, 2020, 16:32
 Prez

I'm going to guess that a lot of the user reviews are by people who didn't even buy Reforged. Whether you bought it or not, apparently original WC3 was automatically downgraded to have many of the changes Reforged made to the interface and functionality. Most shocking is that custom campaigns just don't work anymore. There's many a reddit post on it. This might be avoided if you run the OG WC3 outside of the launcher I guess, if that's even possible.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 2, 2020, 16:25
Re: Users Savaging Warcraft III: Reforged Feb 2, 2020, 16:25
Feb 2, 2020, 16:25

From what i've heard:

Apparently they are banning people who are trying to assist others get refunds.

They are also claiming ownership of all users mods.

And have stuffed multiplayer?

Good old blizzard.

We do hope you enjoy the prettier graphics though!
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older