Out of the Blue

Happy Groundhog Day! Happily Punxsutawney Phil has predicted an early spring this year. Staten Island Chuck says the same thing, so the onset of warmer weather in these parts is confirmed by science. Hopefully the clairvoyant woodchucks in your area had similar good news. Speaking of which, do they celebrate this in Australia and other south of the equator locales to predict the timing of autumn? Never pondered that before. In other Groundhog Day news, Ned Ryerson says it's the best day of his life. Maybe because he's been revived for a Super Bowl ad. Oh yeah, that's the other thing: today is Super Bowl Sunday. I'm already dead and buried in our Playoff Pool, so I'm just hoping for an entertaining game. Here's hoping your festivities for the "big game" are excellent, and you don't suffer any beer or chicken wing related calamities along the way.

Obituary: Andy Gill, influential guitarist with Gang of Four, dies aged 64. Thanks Neutronbeam.

Super Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Links: Today is the first global palindrome day in 909 years. Another one won't happen for 101 years.
Isaac Asimov's Throwback Literary Legacy.
The Glorious, Gutsy History of the Krispy Kreme Challenge.
Story: Pro Football Hall of Fame 2020: Inductees, Highlights and Reaction.
Science: Do You Think in Words? Not sure. Does that mean no?
Mathematicians Solve an Enduring '42' Problem Using Planetary Supercomputer. Deep Thought?
Exercise has the same effect on the brain as coffee.
Images: These are the most detailed images of the sun ever taken. Apparently made of caramel corn. Thanks Acleacius.
Media: Saturday Night Live Highlight: Madden 21.
Park Bench Guy Sings Bon Jovi.
Follow-up: Coronavirus infections predicted to grow exponentially; first death outside China; outbreak becomes political.
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 1, 2021, 18:28
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2021, 18:28
Apr 1, 2021, 18:28

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 22:05:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 21:29:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 11:27:
https://ediblesanfrancisco.com/superfoods/superfoods-lentils/

Sorry, man, your rabbit food doesn't contain dense red proteins. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love lentils, but they do not replace a nice, medium rare prime rib.

Also, for the people who apparently choose to skim a post and not read it, my original post specifically said "dense red protein", not simply "protein".
There is no such thing as dense red protein, only complete proteins, which one can get from plants. Dense Green Proteins are real.
https://gamechangersmovie.com/
trailer https://youtu.be/iSpglxHTJVM
A properly planned vegan diet provides sufficient quantities of vitamin B12, iron and other nutrients. It will also includes a wide variety of legumes, nuts, seeds, and whole grains to provide all the essential amino acids necessary for human life.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Feb 4, 2020, 06:51
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2020, 06:51
Feb 4, 2020, 06:51

Again, nope.

You do you...but rabbit food isn't going to wholly replace meat at my table.

Among the things a plant based diet cannot do is provide conjugated linoleic acid, heme iron, and preformed B12. You can get non-heme iron and pro-formed B12 from your rabbit chow but your body's conversion of those two to the previous (which it really needs) is incredibly inefficient and wasteful, often leading to large amounts of it being flushed out of your body before the conversion happens.

There are also legitimate concerns that people who do go full vegetarian run the risk of becoming anemic, especially if they are unaware that they are genetically predisposed to anemia.

The same, tired song and tap dance I have heard in the past about taking vitamins and just eating more rabbit chow to address that has long been shot down so there's no need to debate them here.

The reality is that the human body requires a balanced diet of both meat and vegetables and to disrupt that balance in favor of some idiosyncratic, smug sense of superiority is foolish.

I am not denying that we live in a country where the balance is all out of whack, it certainly is, but the cureall isn't to simply say "eat spinach and lentils".
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 3, 2020, 22:05
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 22:05
Feb 3, 2020, 22:05

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 21:29:

Sorry, man, your rabbit food doesn't contain dense red proteins. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love lentils, but they do not replace a nice, medium rare prime rib.

Also, for the people who apparently choose to skim a post and not read it, my original post specifically said "dense red protein", not simply "protein".
There is no such thing as dense red protein, only complete proteins, which one can get from plants. Dense Green Proteins are real.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Feb 3, 2020, 21:29
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 21:29
Feb 3, 2020, 21:29

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Feb 3, 2020, 19:27
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 19:27
Feb 3, 2020, 19:27

Snipped from the Guardian
let’s have a look at the death toll. It has jumped 64 from this time yesterday, to a total of 425 inside China, according to the latest figures (one death has also been recorded in the Philippines).

This Chinese figure is an increase of just under 18% in 24 hours. The infection rate has gone up to 19,726, an increase of 2,521, which rounds up to a 15% increase over a day.

While these figures are significant, it’s worth noting that the rate of increase in both deaths and infections is lower on a day-by-day basis than it was on some occasions last week (where the death-toll increase was 29% on one day).

It’s obviously hard to tell if this is anecdotal or represents a trend of any kind, given the relatively few days of data to look at, but I thought it was interesting, none-the less.
John Hopkins GIS CoronaVirus Tracker

Feb 3, 2020, 16:02
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 16:02
Feb 3, 2020, 16:02

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 13:04:
You can get protein from a ton of stuff besides meat and meat byproducts. We definitely all need to be eating less of it and trying to go, at least, mostly vegetarian
Freedom is a wonderful thing. You can bet I'll use mine to eat meat on a mostly daily basis -- the rest of you are free to do as you wish.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Feb 3, 2020, 13:15
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 13:15
Feb 3, 2020, 13:15

Blue wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 23:45:
afka Rossini wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 15:30:
Hey Blue, isn't the playoff pool using progressive scoring? (I.e. Round 1 gives 1 point for each correct pick, round 2 gives 2 points for each correct pick.) If that's the case, then picking the winner of today's game should be worth 4 points. Wouldn't that mean you still have a chance?

Sure. So if the Ravens win, I'm all set!

Doh!

(Looking at the bracket you'd linked, it seemed like you had picked one team that made it to the Superbowl. So I thought if it was the Niner's and you were the only one to pick them to win...)

Feb 3, 2020, 13:04
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 13:04
Feb 3, 2020, 13:04

You can get protein from a ton of stuff besides meat and meat byproducts. We definitely all need to be eating less of it and trying to go, at least, mostly vegetarian. To do my part I'm going to make some Boston Baked beans tomorrow - though it will have a little bit of salt pork in it. That and some cornbread - so 90% vegetarian.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 3, 2020, 11:27
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 11:27
Feb 3, 2020, 11:27

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 09:47:
bigspender wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 07:28:
Coronavirus infections predicted to grow exponentially; first death outside China; outbreak becomes political.

And people still too stupid to stop eating meat & dairy. Even the dumbasses as WHO say to cook your meat better instead of saying to have vegetable curry, because factory farming is a breeding ground for world ending viruses..... /rant.

David Attenborough warned us. Either we depopulate the planet ourselves in a controlled fashion, or nature will do it for us without any discrimination.

I made gator and andouille sausage gumbo last night and, man, it was really damn tasty. Everyone who partook of it also really enjoyed it.

While we do eat vegetarian about 40% of the time, there is nothing plant based that replaces my body's need for dense red proteins. In fact, there are numerous studies showing that proteins are necessary for human life.
All those essential proteins are in lentils and legumes, nuts, seeds and whole grains.

Feb 3, 2020, 09:47
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 09:47
Feb 3, 2020, 09:47

bigspender wrote on Feb 3, 2020, 07:28:
Coronavirus infections predicted to grow exponentially; first death outside China; outbreak becomes political.

And people still too stupid to stop eating meat & dairy. Even the dumbasses as WHO say to cook your meat better instead of saying to have vegetable curry, because factory farming is a breeding ground for world ending viruses..... /rant.

David Attenborough warned us. Either we depopulate the planet ourselves in a controlled fashion, or nature will do it for us without any discrimination.

I made gator and andouille sausage gumbo last night and, man, it was really damn tasty. Everyone who partook of it also really enjoyed it.

While we do eat vegetarian about 40% of the time, there is nothing plant based that replaces my body's need for dense red proteins. In fact, there are numerous studies showing that proteins are necessary for human life.

Feb 3, 2020, 07:28
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 07:28
Feb 3, 2020, 07:28

Feb 3, 2020, 03:57
Ant

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 03:57
Feb 3, 2020, 03:57
 Ant

Feb 3, 2020, 03:51
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 03:51
Feb 3, 2020, 03:51

i'm glad the 9ers lost, mostly cuz their fans are so insufferable even here in socal. even the faintest glimmer of hope sends them rocketing into holier than thou territory. so when they got garoppolo, they would. not. shut. up about that fucker. he isn't even that good. they did well cuz of their run game and defense, garoppolo's job is just don't turn the ball over. his pick today was horrendous.

mahomes didn't play much better, but at least he delivered in the clutch. happy for Reid he got his chip.

Feb 3, 2020, 00:22
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 00:22
Feb 3, 2020, 00:22
 Prez

Neither team played especially well on offense for most of the game, but the defenses played well. Mahomes looked especially bad until the 4th quarter, when he and his receivers made some key plays at critical times. Jimmy Garoppolo is not the kind of quarterback that can put a team on his back and win them the game. San Francisco needed a full-team 60-minute effort but just came up short in the last quarter. Still, the 49ers had a great season.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 3, 2020, 00:14
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2020, 00:14
Feb 3, 2020, 00:14

Yeah, looked like they were falling apart in the 3rd and that was it but came roaring back in the 4th and finished it with authority. Have to check out KC one of these days. Grats KCC!
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 2, 2020, 23:45
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2020, 23:45
Feb 2, 2020, 23:45

afka Rossini wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 15:30:
Hey Blue, isn't the playoff pool using progressive scoring? (I.e. Round 1 gives 1 point for each correct pick, round 2 gives 2 points for each correct pick.) If that's the case, then picking the winner of today's game should be worth 4 points. Wouldn't that mean you still have a chance?

Sure. So if the Ravens win, I'm all set!
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Feb 2, 2020, 23:11
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2020, 23:11
Feb 2, 2020, 23:11

How 'bout those CHIEFS!

The fireworks are booming around town. The first "Superbowl" was crushing as a kid, so the winning Superbowl IV was rewarding. I have held onto the Sports Illustrated from that Victory, and have it here on my computer desk.

KC went through a long drought with the Royals, and now an even longer drought with the Chiefs is over.

Thank you Coach Reid and all the players. Allthumbsup

Feb 2, 2020, 20:53
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2020, 20:53
Feb 2, 2020, 20:53

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2020, 20:44:
Feeling better today.

Good Superbowl so far.
Glad you're feeling better.

The Chinese news outlet, Tencent, now lists deaths at 361 and confirmed infections in China at 17,238.

Feb 2, 2020, 20:44
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2020, 20:44
Feb 2, 2020, 20:44

Feeling better today.

Good Superbowl so far.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Feb 2, 2020, 18:49
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2020, 18:49
Feb 2, 2020, 18:49

An Autumn indicator south of the equator?
Why yes it's called finding yourself watching the Masters golf tournament, whitnessing the beautiful early results of an Augusta Spring shivering then mumbling shit at the impending slide into Winter.
Um .. Behind you...
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older