Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Had a very pleasant breakfast this morning, as I made another batch of waffles for MrsBlue and myself. We just had them last week when our friends stayed over, but I mis-read the recipe at the time, and in rectifying my error, ended up with a whole mess of flour with half as much of the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar the recipe called for. So I added the missing half of those other dry ingredients, and after chowing down we still have a bunch of waffles in the freezer. Perfect in case we get a visit from Eleven. Leggo my Eggo!

Leggo My Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Play: Visual Memory Test Online.
Stories: Good boy alerts rescuers to suspected dognapping. Thanks Max.
Science: Scientists Are Discovering How Trauma Can Be Inherited. Thanks Max.
This Locked Cabinet Holds the Answer to One of the Biggest Questions in Particle Physics. But not a possibly dead cat.
A rat had basically no brain—but it could still see, hear, smell and feel. Thanks Max.
New evidence shows the first building blocks of life on Earth may have been messier than previously thought. Thanks Max.
Media: Tour the warehouse containing iconic sci-fi movie props.
Sam Elliott recites "Old Town Road."
Watch Why Scientists and Artists Want The Blackest Substances on Earth.
Auctions: Thai officials accidentally auction off car loaded with amphetamine. Thanks Boing Boing.
Looking for a Van Gogh for Under $1 Million? These 4 (Relatively) Affordable Works Are Headed to Auction.
Follow-up: China coronavirus 'spreads before symptoms show.' Thanks RedEye9.
The Funnies: Germany Rejected Nuclear Power—and Deadly Emissions Spiked.
View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2020, 13:24 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 26, 2020, 23:24:
1badmf wrote on Jan 26, 2020, 23:16:
i'd be interested to know as well. even if a helo suffers engine failure they can autorotate to the ground without power, although this does take some skill. it was kobe's chopper, but i have no idea if he was flying, and it was foggy.
Kobe was not flying. They'd already experienced "issues" with fog during the flight. It appears they hit a mountain at 185 mph in thick fog.
Pilot error if true. Slate article.
I can't think of anything more fucked up than that.
Same thing with SRV: pilot error and flew into a mountain. Sucks. Helos need a bitchin' Betty: "Pull up! Pull up!"

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2020, 11:14 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 27, 2020, 11:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 27, 2020, 09:25:
When all is said and done it’s the pilots decision.
Yes and no. I'd assume there are guidelines set up to keep pilots from making bad decisions. Were those guidelines followed? If not, why? Or if there were no such safeguards, why not? I suspect we'll hear all about it eventually...
What I meant is the pilot can always refuse to fly and he could have turned back at anytime.
Slamming into a mountain in a perfectly sound twin engine (Still flyable with one engine out) helicopter is solely pilot error, guidelines or no guidelines.
note emphasis on perfectly sound

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2020, 11:00 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 27, 2020, 09:25:
Yes and no. I'd assume there are guidelines set up to keep pilots from making bad decisions. Were those guidelines followed? If not, why? Or if there were no such safeguards, why not? I suspect we'll hear all about it eventually...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2020, 09:25 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 27, 2020, 09:11:
1badmf wrote on Jan 27, 2020, 04:28:
condtions were bad enough that lapd grounded all their helicopters that morning. if it's too risky for cops who's job is to risk their lives, it was probably too dangerous for retired legends and co.

i'll say this - i was out driving the previous evening (in anaheim) and it was too foggy to drive safely at the speed limit. if it was like that the next morning, which is likely, i can't imagine why an experienced pilot would think it safe to fly.
Well, if that's accurate it sounds like the helicopter company might have been negligent. And yeah, I've have gotten caught in heavy fog like that when driving.. scary as hell.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2020, 09:11 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Jan 27, 2020, 04:28:
condtions were bad enough that lapd grounded all their helicopters that morning. if it's too risky for cops who's job is to risk their lives, it was probably too dangerous for retired legends and co.

i'll say this - i was out driving the previous evening (in anaheim) and it was too foggy to drive safely at the speed limit. if it was like that the next morning, which is likely, i can't imagine why an experienced pilot would think it safe to fly.
Well, if that's accurate it sounds like the helicopter company might have been negligent. And yeah, I have gotten caught in heavy fog like that when driving.. scary as hell.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2020, 10:53.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2020, 04:28 1badmf

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2020, 02:36 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2020, 00:24:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 26, 2020, 23:36:
Yeah... I think I'd have to pass on taking a helicopter during heavy fog conditions...
Ever taken a flight in bad weather? I have. Never stopped me. Never thought for one second, 'Hrm, maybe this isn't the best idea.'
Not in a small aircraft I haven't. Which is what a helicopter is effectively. Nor would I unless my life depended on doing so... And the sideways landing is something airline pilots actually train for and have the power to deal with. It is a condition within the expected range.

Edit: I will say this -- I'm guessing Kobe had taken a very similar helicopter trip many times. And hopefully the pilot had made the trip many times before including in less than perfect weather. So, it probably wasn't an unreasonable choice for him to get onto the helicopter. That said, I'm pretty sure the rate of incidents on helicopters and small aircraft are larger than for jet airliners. And frankly, I've long thought I would need a VERY good reason to ever get on a small aircraft.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2020, 02:48.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2020, 00:31 Cutter

Prez wrote on Jan 26, 2020, 23:40:
I always get this weird feeling every time a celebrity dies in an accident like this. A total of 6 people died in the crash, but the vast majority of the attention is on Kobe and his daughter. It feels wrong, like we are accentuating the celebrity more than the others. I know it's not that people think Kobe's life was more important than the others and it's just a function of the media focusing on Bryant's celebrity status, but it feels weird. At any rate R.I.P everyone who died. So sad.

Yeah but that's the nature of celebrity. If he wasn't on that flight it's doubtful most people would have ever heard of its crash. Every day there's a mass murder in the US. It's so common now most of them don't even make the news. Blow up a bank full of nobodies and too bad so sad, blow up the Oscars and people will lose their shit. Rightly or wrongly, we connect and identify with celebs/sport heroes. At least some of them. If Kim Kardashian died I'd probably laugh.If Aaron Rodgers died I'd probably be pretty upset regardless that I've never met or known the man personally. When I went to the JFK museum in Dallas I was upset and the man died before I was even born. Celebs mean something to people to varying degrees for good or bad.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2020, 00:24 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 26, 2020, 23:36:
Yeah... I think I'd have to pass on taking a helicopter during heavy fog conditions...

Ever taken a flight in bad weather? I have. Never stopped me. Never thought for one second, 'Hrm, maybe this isn't the best idea.'

Like this for example....
TUI Boeing 757 Comes into Land SIDEWAYS in 40 KNOT CROSSWIND at Bristol Airport During a STORM

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 23:45 Prez

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 26, 2020, 23:44:
I always get this weird feeling every time a celebrity dies in an accident like this. A total of 6 people died in the crash, but the vast majority of the attention is on Kobe and his daughter. It feels wrong, like we are accentuating the celebrity more than the others. I know it's not that people think Kobe's life was more important than the others and it's just a function of the media focusing on Bryant's celebrity status, but it feels weird. At any rate R.I.P everyone who died. So sad.
9 people died. There have been several articles about the baseball coach who also lost his life on the flight.

Ugh. Even worse. Guess the report I saw on the news that said 6 didn't have up to date information.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 23:44 RedEye9

9 people died. There have been several articles about the baseball coach who also lost his life on the flight.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 23:42 Mr. Tact

Nine people total according to the NYT.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 23:40 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 23:36 Mr. Tact

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 23:24 RedEye9

1badmf wrote on Jan 26, 2020, 23:16:
i'd be interested to know as well. even if a helo suffers engine failure they can autorotate to the ground without power, although this does take some skill. it was kobe's chopper, but i have no idea if he was flying, and it was foggy.
Kobe was not flying. They'd already experienced "issues" with fog during the flight. It appears they hit a mountain at 185 mph in thick fog.
Pilot error if true. Slate article.
I can't think of anything more fucked up than that.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 23:20 Mr. Tact

There was a pilot, Kobe wasn't flying it.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 23:16 1badmf

15. Re: Rocket League macOS and Linux Refund Update Jan 26, 2020, 23:12 Kxmode

Finished season four of The Expanse. Excellent series.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 19:49 Mr. Tact

Bummer on Bryant -- especially since his daughter was with him. I'll be interested to hear the details of the cause of the crash. A lack of maintenance? I've never been sure I'd be willing to ride in a helicopter, but on the other hand accidents happen all the time. You might slip in the shower and break your neck...  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 19:06 Cutter

Huh, never made a waffle in my life. Haven't even eaten that many - unless you count eggos. I have, however, made a ton of flapjacks and crepes though. Point in fact, I whipped up a batch of a dozen crepes last night. Love me some crepes. When my buddies were living up in Quebec City I used to take the train up all the time and we always went to this awesome French creperie - Casse Crepe Breton. So good! That's the best thing about crepes, you can go sweet or savory which you can't really do with waffles and pancakes.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >