Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I speak often here of my lifelong love of the New York Football Giants, which I inherited in my childhood from my dad (along with being a Mets, Knicks, and Rangers fan, so let's just call this a mixed bag). Therefore today is a bittersweet occasion, as Eli Manning is planning to officially announce his retirement from the NFL. There are a lot of people who like to knock him, but I don't know any Giants fans who have anything but the greatest respect and affection for him. He has not always played perfectly, but he accomplished some great things over his career, including a pair of Super Bowl upset wins over what's widely regarded as the greatest dynasty in pro football history led by the G.O.A.T. QB (though the Cleveland Browns and Otto Graham might have something to say about this). He also never missed a single game due to injury, and was the epitome of class throughout his career. There is a lot of discussion over whether Eli belongs in the Hall of Fame, but I think this is a no-brainer, though as I've outlined above, I am far from objective. I'll just justify my thoughts on this by ending with the list of other quarterbacks who have won multiple MVP awards in the Super Bowl: Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Bart Starr, and Terry Bradshaw.

HoF Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Play: Bill Murray: Harold Ramis’ absence will be part of Ghostbusters- Afterlife story. Thanks Acleacius.
Star Wars Tattoo Artist: 20 Years of 'Darth Needles' Inking.
Stories: Grandmother, granddaughter allegedly smuggled 200 pounds of meth from Mexico into California.
Science: The dead speak! Scientists re-create voice of 3000-year-old mummy. Thanks Max.
Jewel beetle’s bright colored shell serves as camouflage from predators.
Media: What Is Coronavirus?
Mating Dance of the Puffin.
No Tools Needed- Master Lock Push Button Key Box Decoded. Sheesh.
View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2020, 05:22 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2020, 03:20:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 23:38:
For your consideration. I love the music, and the VFX breakdown is awesome! I am very much looking forward to this game. It's second on my list right behind Cyberpunk 2077.

Nice world-building, but what's the actual gameplay like?

25-minute gameplay presentation from 2018. Very impressive.

An aside, the devs reached out to the public for music and radio chatter via Joseph Gordon-Levitt's HITRECORD. The music is an online collaborative effort meaning the producers post a starting point for additional input, vocals, and even remixes. It's crowdsourced creativity. Here's a track called Woop Woop (Bad Panda). I assume, from the sound of the track, this is a theme song for a gang called Bad Panda. Another track called Hybrid For Life sounds like a gang called Hybrid. The music indicates you play an outlaw who interacts with a myriad of space gangs, likely on different planets. The music also informs culture. "Bad Panda" has a mythic Eastern Asian Indian sound, while "Hybrid for Life" sounds more Mesoamerican. Likely the environments will mimic those cultures. Something like that was shown in the initial trailer. A track called Soma's Shade, indicates an environment - a planet or large metropolis - under an oppressive regime.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2020, 03:20 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 23:38:
For your consideration. I love the music, and the VFX breakdown is awesome! I am very much looking forward to this game. It's second on my list right behind Cyberpunk 2077.

Nice world-building, but what's the actual gameplay like?

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2020, 03:14 jdreyer

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 17:42:
Quite a heart-felt stream from Linus. It gets touching about halfway through:

https://youtu.be/hAsZCTL__lo

Yeah, his channel is awesome.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 23:38 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 21:24 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the two Super Bowl MVPs will ultimately put him in the HOF.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 20:55 WarPig

While I'd be a little surprised if Eli turned out to be a first ballot HOFer, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get in eventually. When you consider that he ranks 7th all-time in both passing yards and touchdowns (that surprised me) and add that with the two Superbowl MVP's, I have to give him the nod.

GO SEAHAWKS!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 18:30 Prez

It's not enough for me to point to players who have demonstrably accomplished less than Eli did and got into the Hall of Fame. That's a cop out. The question is whether he deserves to be in based on his own merits alone. Given that, I find myself on the fence. His career was positively average overall with some highlight-level brilliance interspersed within. That's a really tough call for me. I guess I lean towards inducting him, but I can see the argument against as well.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 18:19  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 17:43:
No, the team carried him. HUGE fucking difference. Those Superbowls were won in spite of him.

In Super Bowl XLII the 10-6 Giants were 12.5 point underdogs to the 16-0 Patriots.
In Super Bowl XLVI the 9-7 Giants were 3 point underdogs to the 13-3 Patriots.

He literally won each of those Super Bowl games with late touchdown drives when behind in the fourth quarter. Each drive included a play that will go down in history: the pass to Tyree in the first and the one to Manningham in the second.

In neither season did they have a bye, so they had to win three playoff games to get to the Super Bowl.

I know why you've cooked up this patently false narrative though. It's to ease the pain of the fact that he beat the Packers and Aaron Rodgers IN GREEN BAY in EACH of those playoff runs. In 2007 the Pack was 13-3 and were favored by 8. In 2011 the Packers were 15-1 and were favored by 8.5. That was the year after the Pack won Super Bowl XLV and you predicted a repeat more than once.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 17:43 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 16:14:
Verno wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 10:26:
New York is not an easy place to play football and I will always remember him fondly as the guy who denied Tom Brady another 2 Superbowl rings. He was well liked by his teammates and had a pretty damned good record considering the often creaky offensive line surrounding him. I know a lot of people balk at his W/L record but there's more to a career than a single stat and to me he deserves the Hall of Fame.
Two Superbowl wins is even more impressive because of his win/loss record. When the chips were down, when it actually counted, the guy performed.

No, the team carried him. HUGE fucking difference. Those Superbowls were won in spite of him.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 17:42 Steele Johnson

Quite a heart-felt stream from Linus. It gets touching about halfway through:

https://youtu.be/hAsZCTL__lo

"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol is a guy nailed to two pieces of wood." - George Carlin

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 16:19 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 13:53:
Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 13:44:
Eli is no Preston, not even close. He was surrounded by an amazingly strong team that carried him, not the other way around. He most definitely does not belong in the HOF though I'm sure he'll get in regardless.

I wonder if the LPL is a criminal lawyer and his teaching people how to pick locks in order to generate business for himself.

Preston. The greatest Manning. lol

Good article on "Preston" vs Eli.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 16:14 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 10:26:
New York is not an easy place to play football and I will always remember him fondly as the guy who denied Tom Brady another 2 Superbowl rings. He was well liked by his teammates and had a pretty damned good record considering the often creaky offensive line surrounding him. I know a lot of people balk at his W/L record but there's more to a career than a single stat and to me he deserves the Hall of Fame.
Two Superbowl wins is even more impressive because of his win/loss record. When the chips were down, when it actually counted, the guy performed.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 16:01 Cutter

Watched Picard last night. Enh, I dunno. It feels more like one of those, 'you can never go home again' kind of things. Seems like a project to trot out all the old cast members from the various Treks. Seeing a 70 year old Data was jarring. Should have at least tried to de-age him. Brent's awesome and no one could duplicate him but that didn't work for me. I'm willing to take a wait and see approach to it. Really hard to tell how it's gonna' turn out from one episode. He's definitely still very Picard and PaStew has lost none of it even though he looks quite aged himself.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 15:44 RedEye9

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 15:26:
Anyone seen the new Picard?
Watched it last night, it was enjoyable.
They showed previews of things to come and it has me excited for the series.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 15:26 VaranDragon

Anyone seen the new Picard?  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 14:59 Beamer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 14:48:
Beamer wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 14:13:
True Manning aficionados know the true greatest Manning (am I gatekeeping enough?) is Cooper!

Though Preston is a close third.

What the hell, OBJ is apparently a real goddamned athlete, even when it comes to catching M&M's thrown at you!

The OBJ of 2020 is nothing like the OBJ of 2015, sadly.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 14:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Beamer wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 14:13:
True Manning aficionados know the true greatest Manning (am I gatekeeping enough?) is Cooper!

What the hell, OBJ is apparently a real goddamned athlete, even when it comes to catching M&M's thrown at you!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 14:13 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 14:13 theglaze

It was Preston's footwork that laid the foundation for Steven Harper, the greatest of the Harpers (despite Bryce's efforts with Washington, and now Philadelphia).

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2020, 14:24.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 14:09 NKD

I prefer Creston Manning.

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >