Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Star Trek Picard has now premiered, but I don't have the CBS streaming service to watch it, so I guess I'll gauge the reaction to see if it's enough to draw me in to another streaming service, which is one of the first-world problems of our times. I did get around to watching the premiere of Avenue 5 last night. I found it pretty disappointing in light of how funny the trailer seemed, but I also see a couple of reviews saying it's a bit of a slow burn. Debut episodes can tend to sacrifice a lot in the name of exposition, so I'll certainly give this more of a chance, especially since it features Hugh Laurie.

Sci-fi Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Play: WIZ Puzzle Online.
Link: This Star Trek Wedding Might Inspire Your Own. Make it so!
Stories: The math of brewing a better espresso.
Peacocks, miniature horses, cats can no longer fly as service animals under proposed DOT rule.
Mensa UK: A 3-year-old boy has just become the youngest member the largest international high IQ society.
Science: U.S. drinking water widely contaminated with 'forever chemicals'- environment watchdog.
Stress speeds up hair greying process, science confirms. Thanks RedEye9.
Scientists uncover new mode of evolution.
Human cultural evolution found to be just as slow as biological evolution. Thanks Max.
Images: Geocities.gallery. This site is Netscape enhanced. Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: Annoying bright spells in games - Magic.
Tarantino Explains How Fishburne turned down Pulp Fiction.
TAG5 Industries Key Impressioning Light Box. Scary! Thanks RedEye9.
Follow-up: Boeing won't wait for 737 Max approval from FAA to start building plane again.
View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 13:42  Kxmode 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 08:34:
Simon Says' constant whining, and it is whining, exemplifies everything wrong with Star Trek fandom.

Discovery is great, Picard is great. The new movies made Discovery and Picard possible. Before the movies, no one would touch the Star Trek property because it was considered old, stodgy, and dated.

Also, let's not rose tint TOS. At least half the episodes of every season were dedicated to the sole purpose of Shatner getting his shirt off and getting laid.

I respect the reboots for helping to springboard the current shows, and I even enjoy them for what they are. But they are an alternate timeline. Star Trek has always told stories that delved into parallel dimensions and multi-verses. However, the stories always brought the viewer back to the established-prime timeline. I suspect had all three films been popular, a reboot of the entire Star Trek canon would happen.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 08:34  Burrito of Peace 

Simon Says' constant whining, and it is whining, exemplifies everything wrong with Star Trek fandom.

Discovery is great, Picard is great. The new movies made Discovery and Picard possible. Before the movies, no one would touch the Star Trek property because it was considered old, stodgy, and dated.

Also, let's not rose tint TOS. At least half the episodes of every season were dedicated to the sole purpose of Shatner getting his shirt off and getting laid.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 02:42  Kxmode 

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 02:30:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 19:33:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 19:04:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 18:49:
Former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf on Thursday agreed to a lifetime ban from the banking industry and a $17.5 million fine for his role in leading the bank through its massive fake accounts scandal and other sales practice misconduct.

How many lives were financially destroyed or had their credit damaged as a result of John's decisions to push lower rank-and-file employees into engaging in criminal behavior? A bank industry ban isn't enough. He needs to go to prison.
Completely agree. Also the 5000+ employees who committed the actual fraud.

Absolutely! Any Wells Fargo employee who participated in the fraud should be found guilty of a misdemeanor charge. When the law caught and brought to trial, former concentration camp officers, most courts ignore their defense, "I was just doing my job"*. Committing bank fraud is unethical and an especially immoral if the perpetrator profited off it. I hate Wells Fargo. Every time I walk into their branch to pay my mortgage, I feel dirty.

*Amazon has a new series out starring Al Pacino called Hunters about "a diverse band of Nazi Hunters living in 1977 New York City."
Seriously, if you and I pulled the same shit that the Wells Fargo account members did, we'd be sittin' in jail right now. I see no reason to spare these jerks.

I wouldn't have done it in the first place. If a manager told me or demanded that I lie to people and commit bank fraud, I would have quit the job without hesitation.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 02:38  jdreyer 

This Star Trek Wedding Might Inspire Your Own.

They should have gone full Riker marries Troi.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 02:35  jdreyer 

Kxmode wrote on Jan 24, 2020, 02:20:
Comcast is jacking up its prices again thanks to NBC's Peacock streaming service. Last year they charged $29.5 in rental and misc fees. This year it increase ~21% to $35.45. I remember when premium cable was $35 a month. A person would be better off subscribing to Youtube TV for $50 a month. They get over 70 channels that they can access on any device. Cable is OLD DINOSAUR nonsense.

Nationalize the internet. Medicare is the most cost effective health care in America.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 02:32  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 19:36:
Even hinting about comparing World War 2 and it's aftermath to a few damaged credit reports or lost jobs is disgusting. STOP IT NOW

I didn't see it as a comparison, just that the defense fails regardless if it's a white collar or capital offence.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 02:30  jdreyer 

Kxmode wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 19:33:
Former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf on Thursday agreed to a lifetime ban from the banking industry and a $17.5 million fine for his role in leading the bank through its massive fake accounts scandal and other sales practice misconduct.

How many lives were financially destroyed or had their credit damaged as a result of John's decisions to push lower rank-and-file employees into engaging in criminal behavior? A bank industry ban isn't enough. He needs to go to prison.

Absolutely! Any Wells Fargo employee who participated in the fraud should be found guilty of a misdemeanor charge. When the law caught and brought to trial, former concentration camp officers, most courts ignore their defense, "I was just doing my job"*. Committing bank fraud is unethical and an especially immoral if the perpetrator profited off it. I hate Wells Fargo. Every time I walk into their branch to pay my mortgage, I feel dirty.

*Amazon has a new series out starring Al Pacino called Hunters about "a diverse band of Nazi Hunters living in 1977 New York City."
Seriously, if you and I pulled the same shit that the Wells Fargo account members did, we'd be sittin' in jail right now. I see no reason to spare these jerks.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 02:20  Kxmode 

Comcast is jacking up its prices again thanks to NBC's Peacock streaming service. Last year they charged $29.5 in rental and misc fees. This year it increases/d ~21% to $35.45. I remember when premium cable was $35 a month. A person would be better off subscribing to Youtube TV for $50 a month. They get over 70 channels that they can access on any device. Cable is OLD DINOSAUR nonsense.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2020, 02:38.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 20:12  Kxmode 

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 19:36:
Even hinting about comparing World War 2 and it's aftermath to a few damaged credit reports or lost jobs is disgusting. STOP IT NOW

Financial damage can cause people to commit suicide.

"Evil is Evil. Lesser, greater, middling. Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition's blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another… I'd rather not choose at all."

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 20:01  Kxmode 

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 19:47:
lululululul this thread.

>nu-trek

Okay, boomer. Rolleyes

IKR? People called TNG "new trek" when it premiered. "Who's this CAPTAIN PICARD fellow?!" "Kirk's better!" People were mad about the change from "no man" to "no one" in the opening. LOL.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 19:47 ForgedReality

lululululul this thread.

>nu-trek

Okay, boomer. Rolleyes

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 19:39  Kxmode 

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 19:06:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 19:01:
opie wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 18:45:
I heard Picard is attempting to "go woke". so sick of that. be entertaining, not SJW in my face. I get enough of that.
LOL. Star Trek was SJW'ing in the late 60s when they put non-white people on TV.
First inter-racial kiss on TV! Shatner wuz da man!

Or the episode about racial fighting.

"It is obvious to the most simple-minded that Lokai is of an inferior breed."
"The obvious visual evidence, Commissioner, is that he is of the same breed as yourself."
"Are you blind, Commander Spock? Well, look at me! Look at me!"
"You're black on one side and white on the other."
"I am black on the right side."
"I fail to see the significant difference."
"Lokai is white on the right side. All of his people are white on the right side."

"You're finished, Lokai! Oh, we've got your kind penned in on Cheron into little districts, and it's not going to change! You've combed the galaxy, and come up with nothing but monocolored trash, do-gooders, and bleeding hearts.You're dead! You half-white!"
"You useless pieces of bland flesh! I'll take you with me! You half-black!"

It's silly. But best sums up the pointless nature of race fighting.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 19:36  RedEye9 

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 19:33  Kxmode 

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 19:31  Simon Says 

Kxmode wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 18:35:
You shouldn't refer to Discovery as "nu-trek." Season two established it as canonical STAR TREK. It's NOT the Kelvin timeline Trek. So glad that's over.

( ... )

Early in the episode advances in medical tech is established and to the point that it could heal AND remove cuts and scars by common individuals. The tech was there in TNG/DS9/Voyager, but not at the level in Picard. So any damage he sustained would likely have been fixed by his two Romulan assistants by the time the scene started.

It's not about timelines. Nu-trek is exhausting emotional ADHD action crap ( incidentally, like the Kelvin movies ) with the plot just being an excuse for more flashy emotional/action scenes. Unlike TOS/TNG/VOY/DS9/ENT which was intellectual tension talking heads for the most part with few interspersed action scenes in service to the story or in the case of TOS, fooling the TV channel in order to serve the story and message Gene wanted to pass onto the viewers in the talking heads parts.

In nu-trek, the action scenes and emotional ADHD is the focus with the plot in service of this. In trek, it's the opposite, action scenes are only there to serve the plot/message and there's no ADHD crap.

Nu-trek is emotion based, trek is intellectual based.

Personally, I find watching nu-trek totally exhausting, brain-dead and draining.

Watching trek on the other hand is relaxing, provokes thought and is not draining nor exhausting.

The fact that you can't separate these 2 baffles me quite frankly. It's night and day.

There is an ENORMOUS difference between a "relatively simple" 22th century tech dermal regenerator and masssive internal injuries with broken bones, even Beverley would've had her hands full with 24th century tech after this stupid ragdolling of an elderly.

That scene was completely braindead action, which is why I cross my fingers they haven't gone full nu-trek. If that's the case, I'll probably do the same thing I did with STD, drop it after seeing they're not gonna stop going full retard.

Lesson: They went full nu-trek with STD, just like Kelvin movies. Never go full nu-trek or they're gonna lose Picard's target audience.

We'll see if they'll go full retard or not in the next few episodes. I'll reserve my final judgement til then.

And to be honest, I don't really care at this point if they go full nu-trek, I still have the superb The Orville serie to fall back to, a true spiritual successor to TOS/TNG/VOY/DS9/ENT.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 19:19  Simon Says 

self-deleted

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2020, 19:31.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 19:18  RedEye9 

Hot Damn, one of the executives responsible for the epidemic is going to jail!
npr Pharmaceutical Executive John Kapoor Sentenced To 66 Months In Prison In Opioid Trial
no where near the 15 years prosecutors wanted, but a billionaire going to jail in this country gives me hope Wink

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 19:10  Mr. Tact 

One of my favorite Star Trek stories I heard from Nichelle Nichols. I believe it was after the first season (not 100% on that) but she was planning on quitting the show. She went to an event where she got to meet Martin Luther King Jr. He told her he really like the show and her role on it. Nichelle told him she was planning to quit the show. MLK told her she couldn't, she was too important to do that, she was a great role model. So, she didn't quit -- the rest is history.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 19:06  jdreyer 

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 19:01:
opie wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 18:45:
I heard Picard is attempting to "go woke". so sick of that. be entertaining, not SJW in my face. I get enough of that.
LOL. Star Trek was SJW'ing in the late 60s when they put non-white people on TV.
First inter-racial kiss on TV! Shatner wuz da man!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 19:04  jdreyer 

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >