Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit

Two state agencies in California are intervening in the lawsuit alleging sexual harassment and gender discrimination at League of Legends developer Riot Games. A settlement was reached in the case last summer and it was announced late last year that Riot would pay out at least $10 million to current and former female employees. Now, in what the Los Angeles Times describes as an "unusual step," the state of California is stepping in, saying they believe this payment is inadequate, and that the proper payout should be closer to $400 million. Additionally, one of the agencies objected to the other terms of the deal, saying "no enforceable changes to employment policies, at a company alleged to be rife with sexism, are part of the settlement." Riot has filed rebuttals, and there will be hearings on January 31st and February 3rd to work through this. TheHill has a summary of the pay-walled LA Times article, as well a statement from Riot Games:
“We are particularly dismayed that the filing downplays and ignores the efforts we have made with respect to diversity, inclusion, and culture over the past 18 months. The Settlement Agreement includes a long list of the dozens of meaningful initiatives and changes we have made, including updates to our policies, in response to Kotaku’s reporting and the class action lawsuit. We believe that these initiatives demonstrate a real commitment to actual change that goes well above and beyond what most companies would have done in a similar situation.”
View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 13:14  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 12:55:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 10:45:
I'd say 400 million is looking a lot more reasonable.
Prez wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 12:51:
$400 million is far more reasonable.
Slashman wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 11:05:
refreshing reasonable outlook today

FTFY.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 13:14  jdreyer 

Considering that the number of women on the complaint was 1000 as stated by the article, $10 million is hardly adequate compensation if the harassment was a bad as has been alleged. $400 million is far more reasonable.

You have to wonder what the lawyers for the plaintiffs were thinking: "We'll get $3M of that $10M, that's a good payday for the past six months of work."

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

9. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 13:11  jdreyer 

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 10:58:
I'd really like to know what was going on in this office without having to read case files.

Both male and female sources have described seeing unsolicited and unwelcome pictures of male genitalia from bosses or colleagues. One woman saw an e-mail thread about what it would be like to “penetrate her,” in which a colleague added that she’d be a good target to sleep with and not call again. Another said a colleague once informed her, apparently as a compliment, that she was on a list getting passed around by senior leaders detailing who they’d sleep with. Two former employees said they felt pressure to leave after making their concerns about gender discrimination known. One former male employee said that Riot’s “bro culture” is more pronounced behind closed doors, and hurts men too: One of Riot’s male senior leaders regularly grabbed his genitals, the source said, adding, “If he walked into a meeting with no women he’d just fart on someone’s face.”

I dunno, all that sounds pretty normal to me. You're telling me that's not typical in corporate offices across the USA?

8. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 13:03  Prez 

From "The Wealth Record"

The LoL property is worth $15 Billion and Riot Games is worth $21 billion.

Given these numbers $400 million isn't going to bankrupt the company. Hopefully it hurts though. A lot.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 12:55  RedEye9 

$400 million is far more reasonable.
Slashman wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 11:05:
refreshing outlook today

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

6. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 12:51  Prez 

Considering that the number of women on the complaint was 1000 as stated by the article, $10 million is hardly adequate compensation if the harassment was a bad as has been alleged. $400 million is far more reasonable.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 12:47  Tipsy McStagger 

Both male and female sources have described seeing unsolicited and unwelcome pictures of male genitalia from bosses or colleagues. One woman saw an e-mail thread about what it would be like to “penetrate her,” in which a colleague added that she’d be a good target to sleep with and not call again. Another said a colleague once informed her, apparently as a compliment, that she was on a list getting passed around by senior leaders detailing who they’d sleep with. Two former employees said they felt pressure to leave after making their concerns about gender discrimination known. One former male employee said that Riot’s “bro culture” is more pronounced behind closed doors, and hurts men too: One of Riot’s male senior leaders regularly grabbed his genitals, the source said, adding, “If he walked into a meeting with no women he’d just fart on someone’s face.”

Well if that's the case.. pay up assholes. Because that is more than ridiculous.

4. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 12:31  Cutter 

I'd say it's more likely Riot Games will simply leave California. How much is an insult worth? It shouldn't be akin to winning the lottery.

"Listen, I’m not the nicest guy in the Universe because I’m the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

3. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 11:05 Slashman

I'd really like to know what was going on in this office without having to read case files.

2. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 10:58  Beamer 

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: California Intervenes in Riot Games Gender Discrimination Suit Jan 22, 2020, 10:45  Tipsy McStagger 

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >