Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Dang has it been cold around here lately. I mean yeah, it's winter and all, but when the thermometer hits single digits (it was 9℉ this morning) it gets pretty rough. I don't know how people who live in climates even colder than where we are in New York handle it. Hell, I don't even know how MrsBlue stands it here... I needed two extra blankets doubled over to sleep last night. So this was basically four more than she needed, and she slept like a baby. The time she spent living in Minneapolis clearly served her well in this regard.

Obituary: Terry Jones Dead: 'Monty Python' Founder, British Comedy Icon Was 77.

Cold Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Link: N. K. Jemisin’s Dream Worlds.
Stories: 'Falling iguana' alert issued in Florida due to cold weather.
Woman arrested in CIA trespass seeking ‘Agent Penis’ charged by Secret Service.
NH man strangles coyote to death after animal attacks his child.
Science: How Fast Can a Human Run? Thanks j.c.f.
California considers declaring common pain killer carcinogen.
Media: SpaceX Explodes A Rocket To Show That It's Safe.
Toilet Death Ejector - SNL. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Opened With a Notebook- ShotLock Handgun "Solo-Vault." Only figured out three ways to open it.
Follow-up: Washington man is 1st in US to catch new virus from China.
Boeing doesn't expect Max jet to be cleared until summer.
China’s post-Sars reporting system may explain long delays in announcing new cases of Wuhan virus. Thanks Max.
The Funnies: Ant Existentialism. Blue ant!
View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 15:39  Ant 

I never knew Blue was an ant.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 11:07  RedEye9 

Jones' death was "the only thing he ever did that wasn't funny,"

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

27. Re: I don't know how people who live in climates even colder than where we are in New York hand Jan 23, 2020, 07:24  Simon Says 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 05:47:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 21:10:
I made one from a box for my bedroom in which I put 4x 2 liters frozen water bottles with a fan.

So...you made a swamp cooler.

Call it what you want, it gets the job done.

26. Re: Out of the Blue - RIP Terry Jones Jan 23, 2020, 07:00 Jonjonz

RIP Terry Jones

I raise my crunchy frog in a toast!

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

25. Re: I don't know how people who live in climates even colder than where we are in New York hand Jan 23, 2020, 05:47  Burrito of Peace 

Simon Says wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 21:10:
I made one from a box for my bedroom in which I put 4x 2 liters frozen water bottles with a fan.

So...you made a swamp cooler.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

24. Re: Into the Black Jan 23, 2020, 03:37  Kxmode 

First prime universe Star Trek series since Voyager. It feels good to be home again.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 02:26  Kxmode 

Star Trek: Picard at midnight! _\\//  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. I don't know how people who live in climates even colder than where we are in New York handle it Jan 22, 2020, 21:10  Simon Says 

Well thermally isolated houses, that's how we do it. My bedroom ( facing north ) doesn't get below 76F with minimal heating ( small 500W plinth not even working at full capacity ) during the winter even when it's -30 CELSIUS with winds from the north all throughout the night.

Downside... it's bloody hot and humid during a few weeks in the summer even with all the windows fully open day and night. And no, we don't have a climatizer. I made one from a box for my bedroom in which I put 4x 2 liters frozen water bottles with a fan. Also installed 3 200mm computer fans in the window pulling air in during the night cause we have zero winds in the night during summer. Both keeps me from melting on my bed during the worst weeks.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 20:10 1badmf

i also just watched the witcher; i thought it quite enjoyable. i liked that it wasn't super cereal and laughed at itself at times.

the timeline thing didn't bother me. i like a show to challenge me and i thought it was pretty easy to figure out. no i haven't played any of the games. i thought they'd miscast yennefer based on the screenshots i've seen, but turns out she cleans up pretty well. holy smokes is she hot. triss was a big airball though.

20. Re: Poor coyote Jan 22, 2020, 19:40  Burrito of Peace 

I would kill for cold weather right now. It's goddamned January and we're in the sixties.

I really enjoyed my time in Canada during Christmas where it was actually cold. Even wandered around a bit in shorts though I did get a few odd looks.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

19. Re: Poor coyote Jan 22, 2020, 17:01  Rectal Prolapse 

I wonder if those people that got the rabies shots went broke. I immediately thought of this story from VOX:
VOX going ape over rabies shots.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 15:33  jdreyer 

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 10:55:

• It really failed at being epic.
  • Meh. S1 of GoT failed at being epic too.
  • And the timeline was an absolute disaster. It tried to go with the "trust your audience" tactic, but the hints of what was happening when were a mix of too subtle or too poorly timed. You had to be paying close attention, or know it was happening ahead of time. I knew it was happening, so I caught the clues, but they were occasionally doled out in the end of a story, which feels like attempts to be clever in an area that you shouldn't be clever. Either give the clues up front, or be more obvious. Don't trust people to even attempt remembering weird names of characters they don't expect to be seeing very long.
  • I was unfamiliar with the lore and had no problem with either the timeline or the names. I admit I didn't understand the timeline until E4.
  • Tying into that, my single biggest complaint was that Jaskier didn't age. At a minimum, 15 or so years went by. It seemed like maybe 20-30. And he still looks like a guy in his late 20s? What's the continuity here?
  • Yeah, this could have been done better, and would have communicated the timeline better.
  • Ciri had nothing to do. I'm not even sure why she was in this season. Her entire storyline was pointless. She ran through the woods. She met some guy, but then he got angry at her and stormed off when it felt kind of out of character. That's when you lose your patience? She left you to die like 2 episodes earlier! Cut his entire character out and you lose nothing. Her entire trip to the woods? They'd maybe argue it was world building, but it built nothing. Her scenes were all a waste of time. I'm also unconvinced that actress will be able to match the Ciri of the games. She seems too passive. But maybe that's good acting
  • I expect the actress will age with the series and grow into her role. She seemed a fine actress to me, for someone so young.
  • SPOILER: Geralt spends the entire final episode deliriously wounded on the back of a cart.
  • I kind of like that the big strong man isn't the one to save the day. I also feel that The Witcher S1 is really Yenna's arc anyway.
  • The most successful episode, to me, was the incest ghost one. It was monster-of-the-week, but it felt like gothic horror done pretty well. Had I been overseeing the show, I think the first three episodes would have been monster-of-the-week with just Geralt, introducing him and the world. Then fold in Yen. Then, maybe final episode, introduce Ciri. Then, in Season 2, put her entire back story in one episode.
  • Although a lot of people hate it, I think E4 is my fav. I love Yenna's battle with the assassin, and the porcupine story.
  • Yeah, Henry Cavill's growl was odd, but I really enjoyed him. I thought Yen did a good job, as well, with what little she had to work with. Was largely unconvinced about anyone else
  • HRMM.
  • Speaking of Yen: The final episode was supposed to be about her power, but felt very blah. The battle felt small, and the rules felt weird. Some people were sacrificing themselves to become fireballs (which also seemed wasteful - your most powerful units are your mages, why have a second one commit suicide to do something that literally just failed 20 seconds earlier?) Did Yen sacrifice anything to make her more powerful seeming fire? Maybe she did and I was looking at my phone when it happened, but shouldn't her hand have withered or something?
  • Ah, so you admit you were dual screening! Bad Beamer! I was less bothered by the Nilfgaardians throwing their lives away than I was the defenders. Why die there? It didn't make sense. As for Yenna, the feeling I got was that she tapped into a deeper well than the other sorcerers, and was doing so for the first time.

My girlfriend hated it and thought it was dumb.
    You just agreed with her so you could get laid.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 15:13  jdreyer 

Awesome story about how Larry Fishburne turned down the role of Jules in Pulp Fiction.

And then there's this, which I filed in the "What the fuck did I just watch" file.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 15:02  jdreyer 

Blue is cold, and frozen iguanas are falling out of the trees. I can safely say that global warming is a hoax.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 14:46  Beamer 

Primalchrome wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 14:03:
    Prez wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 12:10:
    I remain confused about everyone else's confusion about the timeline. I got it pretty easily, and I'm normally the guy that needs stuff explained to him by someone else LOL. It's a common complaint though, so there has to be something to it. I just had no problem following it whatsoever.
    Sure, you're familiar with the game, characters, and storyline. It made perfect sense to me and my oldest son as well.... The rest of the family was irritated that we had to do a quick explanation that should have been clearly illustrated by the story. Even text on the screen saying "30 years prior", "16 years prior", and "Present day" would have made it easily accessible to people totally new to the story. ...and that frustration is enough to derail people that aren't invested in the work in some other way.

Kind of like how execs fucked up Firefly's initial reception by showing the episodes out of order.

(edit : Though for people already in the know, the little hints as to the passage of time and changes in characters was like a nice Easter Egg.)

Yeah, I got it when they'd have a character say to a child "stop it, Frangipan," after seeing a few scenes of adult Frangipan. But first off, it required you to hear that one line. Second, it required you to remember that some dude was named Frangipan - in a fantasy like this, it's less likely that people bother remembering the arbitrary/weird names of unimportant characters that get 2 minutes of screen time. And lastly, you can't assume that Frangipan is just a common name in this world.

It would be better to show us young Frangipan first, then immediately jump to the adult. Give us the warning early, not late. Show other signs. The fact that no one aged was an issue. The fact that the world didn't change. All of this. Everyone eventually picked up that there were multiple timelines, but people really struggled to put them together. Hey, we saw some army attacking in that episode. Now we're seeing the heir to an empire talking to the people that got attacked before they got attacked. Expecting people to remember "Nilfgaard" seems kind of unreasonable. Had they shown text, again, Game of Thrones did this with maps in the introduction, then "Nilfgaard" would stand out. But the first episode was full of weird names and weird characters, expecting anyone to pay attention to and remember the name of an enemy empire is odd.

I can tell you that, right now, I do not know the names of a single person in the Ciri storyline, other than Rodent Testes. Her grandmother? Her mother? Her elf buddy? The forest, or people of the forest? The empire her grandmother ran? None of it was important. I wouldn't expect anyone utterly unfamiliar to have picked up on any of this.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 14:03  Primalchrome 

I remain confused about everyone else's confusion about the timeline. I got it pretty easily, and I'm normally the guy that needs stuff explained to him by someone else LOL. It's a common complaint though, so there has to be something to it. I just had no problem following it whatsoever.
    Sure, you're familiar with the game, characters, and storyline. It made perfect sense to me and my oldest son as well.... The rest of the family was irritated that we had to do a quick explanation that should have been clearly illustrated by the story. Even text on the screen saying "30 years prior", "16 years prior", and "Present day" would have made it easily accessible to people totally new to the story. ...and that frustration is enough to derail people that aren't invested in the work in some other way.

Kind of like how execs fucked up Firefly's initial reception by showing the episodes out of order.

(edit : Though for people already in the know, the little hints as to the passage of time and changes in characters was like a nice Easter Egg.)

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 13:16 MattyC

‘E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This comic is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'E’ rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'E’d be pushing up the daisies! I’d metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, he’s shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible! THIS IS AN EX-COMIC!  

I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 12:52 Cutter

Shit...

Jack Kehoe died too - he was 85. Always liked his work, Pope of Greenwich Village, Serpico, The Untouchables, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Star Chamber, et al. He was a mainstay in all the really good NYC flicks of the 70s and 80s.

RIP him and Terry.

So China has infected the world with the zombie virus huh? Better start prepping for the new world of Dying Light. Get my parkour on!

"Listen, I’m not the nicest guy in the Universe because I’m the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 12:18  Beamer 

...I know it's a budget thing, but the world felt so small to me...

I snipped this one because it's the only thing I felt might need a counterpoint. The rest of your synopsis I either agree with or have a different opinion on but consider it a "to each his own" thing.

I felt the scale compared very well to the games, in which there was exactly one scene showing an army (the epilogue of The Witcher 2). The games felt much more like an individual character arc of Geralt with marginal exploration of ancillary characters with the Witcher universe providing a rich backdrop. It could be that my familiarity with the universe filled in a lot of the blanks the show left out in a way that wouldn't work for someone brand new to it. I'm perfectly okay with that, though I would expect that the producers would want the show to appeal to more than just pre-existing Witcher fans. I liked the first season a lot. It stumbled here and there but it had way more hits than misses for me personally.

I think that Game of Thrones nailed it by giving us the map in the introduction. It gave the world some scale. The games did this, too. Mention of Skellig meant something, because we knew where it was.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 12:10  Prez 

...I know it's a budget thing, but the world felt so small to me...

I snipped this one because it's the only thing I felt might need a counterpoint. The rest of your synopsis I either agree with or have a different opinion on but consider it a "to each his own" thing.

I felt the scale compared very well to the games, in which there was exactly one scene showing an army (the epilogue of The Witcher 2). The games felt much more like an individual character arc of Geralt with marginal exploration of ancillary characters with the Witcher universe providing a rich backdrop. It could be that my familiarity with the universe filled in a lot of the blanks the show left out in a way that wouldn't work for someone brand new to it. I'm perfectly okay with that, though I would expect that the producers would want the show to appeal to more than just pre-existing Witcher fans. I liked the first season a lot. It stumbled here and there but it had way more hits than misses for me personally.

EDIT: I remain confused about everyone else's confusion about the timeline. I got it pretty easily, and I'm normally the guy that needs stuff explained to him by someone else LOL. It's a common complaint though, so there has to be something to it. I just had no problem following it whatsoever.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >