Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

DOOM Eternal Previews

A whole bunch of DOOM Eternal Previews hit the internet today:

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 23, 2020, 19:09 Drayth

Sometimes sequels are designed with an 'everyone played the first one so lets just expand the game play instead of retread anything' mentality. Like a, what if the first game just kept going approach. So just as the levels became more vertical and elaborate in the first one, this one just acts as if the levels here are levels 17 (or w/e it is) -> onward from there.

Though also I agree with Quinn to some degree. Hopefully these new levels aren't too "video gamey" and are still grounded to some extent. That's more a preference though, this still looks fun either way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 22, 2020, 18:16  Mr. Tact 

Doom 2016 available for $6 and some change. Thanks Redeye.

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 17:42:
$6 bucks for the next 18 hours at https://www.humblebundle.com/store/doom

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

31. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 22, 2020, 11:11 Xero

Had a blast with 2016 DOOM. I mean, it wasn't anything I cared to play again through once I completed it but am totally down for more of it.

I'd say, I've had more fun with 2016 DOOM than any prior DOOM before it. This one looks like more of the same fun.

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

30. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 22, 2020, 01:58 Quinn

Beamer wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 19:36:
Quinn wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 18:02:
Beamer wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 13:56:
Quinn wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 13:33:
Beamer wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 11:43:
El Pit wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 11:10:
Just watched a 12 minutes gameplay video from the 2nd and 3rd level - while I like some parcours in games, this feels so strange inside a Doom game. I will wait for more gameplay videos but right now - nope. Don't feel it. Sorry.

Did you play the last one? It had lots of "parkour," and was better than the original Dooms in every way.

So you don't understand El Pit's complaints? The parkouring you see in Eternal is the same as DOOM 2016 in your opinion? If not, wtf was that comment about?

Totally. At its high points, I described Doom 2016 as a ballet of sorts, with the player dancing around, jumping, double jumping, pulling himself up ledges, flying towards enemies for the power kills that provide ammo to keep those guns blazing, etc.

He seemed to have not played the 2016 one, and seemed to be complaining less "I don't like this gameplay" and more "this isn't DOOM." Disliking the gameplay is cool, but disliking something due to the name is something I see gamers do all the time and will just never understand.

There's a difference between what you're describing and this Tomb Raider style platfoeming. In DOOM 2016 nothing really looked out of context for gameplay sake. Now we have rods stolen straight from the tent of the circus acrobat, pillars that you can conveniently latch on to, and all other type of shit that's contextually nonsensical.

Nuance, Beamer. There's platforming, and then there's platforming. Did you even watch any gameplay vids?

Maybe had he referred to a linked video. The only clear video up there is Gamespot, and I do not see anything different in that video. He also said "parkour," not "platforming."

Check the Eurogamer one. I think every gameplay video shows parts, but definitely the Eurogamer one. One clear vid, eight clear vids -- one clear vid should be enough to see the evident change and why people complain about it. Some game designer even talks about it, saying he wanted something else than the corridor-arena-corridor-arena level design from 2016. What bull. Those "corridor" moments were pleasant tension releases and had some great show-don't-tell sections to improve immersion. Now, we'll be switching from Doom Slayer to Acrobat Hank every so often...

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

29. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 20:42 phinn

UI looks terrible in this new one, neon colors, low health fade out plus a text bar in middle, low ammo test bar, ugh there is just crap everywhere now.  

28. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 19:36  Beamer 

Quinn wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 18:02:
Just watched a 12 minutes gameplay video from the 2nd and 3rd level - while I like some parcours in games, this feels so strange inside a Doom game. I will wait for more gameplay videos but right now - nope. Don't feel it. Sorry.

Did you play the last one? It had lots of "parkour," and was better than the original Dooms in every way.

So you don't understand El Pit's complaints? The parkouring you see in Eternal is the same as DOOM 2016 in your opinion? If not, wtf was that comment about?

Totally. At its high points, I described Doom 2016 as a ballet of sorts, with the player dancing around, jumping, double jumping, pulling himself up ledges, flying towards enemies for the power kills that provide ammo to keep those guns blazing, etc.

He seemed to have not played the 2016 one, and seemed to be complaining less "I don't like this gameplay" and more "this isn't DOOM." Disliking the gameplay is cool, but disliking something due to the name is something I see gamers do all the time and will just never understand.

There's a difference between what you're describing and this Tomb Raider style platfoeming. In DOOM 2016 nothing really looked out of context for gameplay sake. Now we have rods stolen straight from the tent of the circus acrobat, pillars that you can conveniently latch on to, and all other type of shit that's contextually nonsensical.

Nuance, Beamer. There's platforming, and then there's platforming. Did you even watch any gameplay vids?

Maybe had he referred to a linked video. The only clear video up there is Gamespot, and I do not see anything different in that video. He also said "parkour," not "platforming."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 18:12  The Flying Penguin 

Ok, I watched that Eurogamer video, and I see what you mean. There were a couple of sections similar that in the first one (molten metal room, the big room with the tower you had to climb). I did find them frustrating, so not thrilled we'll have more of that, but I'll suffer with it, in exchange for everything else. There will be walk thrus.

I wonder if those of us who are PC gamers have a bit less of an issue with it. Seems like stages like that would be frustrating with a controller.

26. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 18:02 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

25. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 16:52  jdreyer 

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 14:34:
BTW Blue. WTH is with the CNN review link? When I think game review, I don't think CNN.
Gaming is mainstream now. CNN does movie reviews too.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

24. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 16:39 Osc8r

No co-op, no care.

Considering it was doom that got me hooked on co-op all those years ago it's pretty disappointing they can't even be assed to add it these days.

23. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 16:24  RedEye9 

The eurogamer video that Blue linked makes this new doom look like fun.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

22. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 15:56  El Pit 

I played and finished Doom 2016 but don't remember jumping through huge parts of the level from metal rod to metal rod without touching the ground for a while. Then again, I have played many other games since then and am getting old - Alzheimer? I hope not.

But again: whatever. Doom 2020 is good for people who like that kind of gameplay but I don't. What I saw in the videos did not hook me on this game. YMMV.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

21. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 15:15 Steele Johnson

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 13:30:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 13:17:
It looks pretty good so far. It has the old-school vibe with some current tech. I'm not sure how useful the parkour is going to be in multiplayer though.

Literally no one plays DOOM for MP

That's definitely not the case with this one. They've already announced that there will be several mp modes in this game. Battlemode and Invasion sounds pretty cool

"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol is a guy nailed to two pieces of wood." - George Carlin

20. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 14:44  Nimh 

Quinn wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 13:10:
Eurogamer confirmed what I was afraid of: the platforming sucks assholes.

Yeah, that is awful. Level designer must've been playing Tomb Raider when that was added.

19. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 14:34  The Flying Penguin 

Beamer, this just looks to me like someone locked up the designers of Quake 3: Arena and Assassin's Creed in a room and later labeled the product as a Doom game. I understand that some people like it but it just does not work for me. What I saw in the videos simply did not make me want to play this game.

It doesn't sound like you played Doom 2016. I'd recommend watching a play through of some of the later levels of that inside the facility (the first couple of levels are outside and don't really do justice to the rest of the game). If interested you can pick up Doom 2016 on sale.

I loved it, and am really looking forward to this one. A really good single player experience. I'm near the end of my second playthrough.

Multiplayer was meh, though.

BTW Blue. WTH is with the CNN review link? When I think game review, I don't think CNN.

18. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 13:59 peteham

Recommend watching the latest Noclip podcast - Designing DOOM Eternal with Hugo Martin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBHIalb01ew

Along with the positive previews it's looking like a day 1 purchase.

17. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 13:56  Cram 

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 13:30:
It looks pretty good so far. It has the old-school vibe with some current tech. I'm not sure how useful the parkour is going to be in multiplayer though.

Never did for 2016 myself. However, this new mode they've been showing off for Eternal looks like it could be a hell of a lot of fun and I will likely give it a good go. Loved 2016, I like the fast paced parkour and platforming and I appreciate they had the balls to delay the game as much as they did - looks like a day one buy.

16. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 13:56  Beamer 

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 13:33 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

14. Re: DOOM Eternal Previews Jan 21, 2020, 13:30 eRe4s3r

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >