Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I can only assume it's impossible to spoil this weekend's NFL results after a couple of days of wall-to-wall coverage of the Super Bowl matchup, though to that point that means there's no reason to explicitly mention the outcomes either. I usually hole up at home to watch the playoffs, but in a rare bit of socialization, my crew of sports buddies congregated for the occasion. It was great to see everybody and we had a lot of fun watching together, which helped stave off any disappointment that they were not the greatest games. All the upsets along the way leave only a few players alive in our pool, so it's cool that the Super Bowl will still end up deciding the winner. Good luck to both players vying for the top spot, which is about as meaningless a comment as one can make.

Super Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Links: How Dan Aykroyd went from battling spirits to selling them.
Stories: Amtrak To Drop $25,000 Ticket Price For Two Wheelchair Users After Complaints.
Single-use plastic: China to ban bags and other items. Thanks Max.
Science: Immune cell that kills most cancers discovered by accident by British scientists. Thanks Max.
Death on Mars. Like the anti-David Bowie. Thanks Digg.
Coronavirus: 6 people dead as China confirms Wuhan virus can be spread by humans.
Media: Meet ‘The Michael Jordan of Dogs.’
The Era of the Barefoot Kicker.
Alaska man ducks into shed to avoid bull moose. Thanks Boing Boing.
View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 14:36  Kxmode 

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 13:55:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 13:44:
[rest snipped]
Sure, but the way his parents were doing it was 0% interest.

He says, for someone today, the initial APR sucks. That's compounded monthly.

And today, if you're carrying $15k-$25k of credit card debt, you won't be able to get a 0% APR card with that kind of credit limit. But if you own a home, you can get that second mortgage.

This whole thing started because of his sweeping statement that a second mortgage can't save someone money, that it's mathematically impossible. This is untrue. They're typically not the wisest of investments, but they can save you money. Even if the credit card trick is totally still valid today, a second mortgage still saves you money vs not doing that. Much like a 10% off coupon saves you money, even if you could do something to get a 15% off coupon.

Beamer, how many times have you misunderstood me? I wrote, "if someone had credit problems, this would be one relatively fast way to repair it. . . . The initial stages suck because the APR is trash, but over time it gets better after consistently upgrading to better rates." I specifically refer to someone who wanted to use the technique to repair or improve their credit because of the way credit works. In other words, in the beginning, the introductory period APR would be trash.

In my original post, I specifically called out the line "save money by getting a second mortgage" as oxymoronic. I stated very clearly why a person going that route would NOT save money. Whatever debts they had would now be shackled with additional fees and costs the lender adds to the deficit. The only benefit here is consolidation.

For that, I provided better options.

1. Pay down the principal on the original debts, even if they're fragmented among various lenders.
2. Consolidate all outstanding debts to a single card.
3. Use my parent's method by switching to new cards once a year. CC companies are competitive and will offer better rates until the rates reach 0/0/0 or the best they can be. The bonus is this method builds up a person's credit and their limit.

The first and second options are comfortable, and most people can do it. The third option is more involved and requires careful planning, but the long term results are better. All three achieve the same outcomes of letting a person pay off their debts without accruing more debt.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 14:27  RedEye9 

nm

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 14:12  Kxmode 

jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 13:47:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 08:57:
There’s a difference between being clever and scummy and it’s not a fine line.
If the credit card company makes the offer, and someone is organised enough to make it work, what's the problem? They make these offers hoping someone will fuck up so they can start charging the 30% vig. Now that's scummy.

That vacation trick, on the other hand...

It was legal at the time per my parents' CPA. They paid something like $350 back in the day to have their taxes filed. The CPA told my dad -- according to the tax laws at the time -- that if he put in an application (it only needed to be one, but was better if more than one) for his line of work, they could write off vacations and trips on their taxes. I'm certain tax laws today no longer have this provision.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 14:05  Kxmode 

Please stop. That's not scummy. It's perfectly legal. They figured out how to benefit from something CC companies offer to public all the time.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 14:02  RedEye9 

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 08:19:
Credit card companies are more savvy to this than in your parents' day, in part because they can see this on your credit report instantly. Have you ever actually seen a credit report? They see the revolving credit literally revolving.

Meanwhile, you mention that the APR is crap up front. Do you know what "crap" is on a credit card? Over 30%. Do you know what "good" is on a credit card" 15%. Do you know what a second mortgage is? 3%-5%.

Do you see how this could save you money?
Yes, we all see that. Well, almost all of us.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 14:00  Kxmode 

[rest snipped]

Credit card companies are more savvy to this than in your parents' day, in part because they can see this on your credit report instantly. Have you ever actually seen a credit report? They see the revolving credit literally revolving.

Meanwhile, you mention that the APR is crap up front. Do you know what "crap" is on a credit card? Over 30%. Do you know what "good" is on a credit card" 15%. Do you know what a second mortgage is? 3%-5%.

That information appeared on credit reports back then, too, and CC companies saw it. I'm sure they factored that in, but that's not the principal consideration. All they see is a couple with current revolving debt that is paid on time every month. That's the kind of customer they want. The 12-month introductory period is merely an attractive enticement to get them to switch to their card. They are gambling on the fact that most people are lazy and will continue to use the card past the 12-months, which is where they will make their money. By perpetually staying in the introductory period from card to card, my parents legally gamed the system and reaped the benefits.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 13:55  Beamer 

jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 13:44:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 01:45:
Beamer wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 22:13:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 19:26:
[rest snipped]
My parents used to do this all the time before they realized borrowing was stupid. They got so good at it, they had nearly perfect credit and regularly qualified for 0% intro APR, 0% interest, no transform fees for 12 months. They kept all offers in a drawer and paid down the deficit over the year, then before the year ended, applied for another 0/0/0 card, transferred the amount and cancel the previous card. They never paid interest or transfer fees. They also never paid appraisal fees, application costs, and closing costs that come with second mortgages. They truly saved money going this method.

Lenders who pitch a second mortgage (equity loan) as the best deal for saving money are unethical shysters. They know there are better ways to save money on loans, but it doesn't financially benefit them.

So your solution is to rotate your credit card debt every month onto a new card?

You know that doesn't work, right? And that, if you have a high amount of existing debt, you won't get a 0% apr card?

I broke it down in my comment above.

- They kept all offers in a drawer and paid down the deficit over the year,
- then before the year ended, applied for another 0/0/0 card,
- transferred the amount and canceled the previous card.

Every year. Not every month. They stayed within the introductory 12-month period. That's how my parents were able to build their credit and limit so fast. They went from bankruptcy to near-perfect credit in something like three years. Before they stopped, they had something like an 830 credit score (I once asked). The CC companies only saw that they had a debt that they consistently paid every month, which they love.

As an aside, if someone had credit problems, this would be one relatively fast way to repair it. However, it requires diligent well-organized steps. The initial stages suck because the APR is trash, but over time it gets better after consistently upgrading to better rates. CC companies are competitive as hell. Each one tends to offer better rates to get you on their card.

He says, for someone today, the initial APR sucks. That's compounded monthly.

And today, if you're carrying $15k-$25k of credit card debt, you won't be able to get a 0% APR card with that kind of credit limit. But if you own a home, you can get that second mortgage.

This whole thing started because of his sweeping statement that a second mortgage can't save someone money, that it's mathematically impossible. This is untrue. They're typically not the wisest of investments, but they can save you money. Even if the credit card trick is totally still valid today, a second mortgage still saves you money vs not doing that. Much like a 10% off coupon saves you money, even if you could do something to get a 15% off coupon.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 13:47  jdreyer 

If the credit card company makes the offer, and someone is organised enough to make it work, what's the problem? They make these offers hoping someone will fuck up so they can start charging the 30% vig. Now that's scummy.

That vacation trick, on the other hand...

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 13:44  jdreyer 

[rest snipped]
My parents used to do this all the time before they realized borrowing was stupid. They got so good at it, they had nearly perfect credit and regularly qualified for 0% intro APR, 0% interest, no transform fees for 12 months. They kept all offers in a drawer and paid down the deficit over the year, then before the year ended, applied for another 0/0/0 card, transferred the amount and cancel the previous card. They never paid interest or transfer fees. They also never paid appraisal fees, application costs, and closing costs that come with second mortgages. They truly saved money going this method.

Lenders who pitch a second mortgage (equity loan) as the best deal for saving money are unethical shysters. They know there are better ways to save money on loans, but it doesn't financially benefit them.

So your solution is to rotate your credit card debt every month onto a new card?

You know that doesn't work, right? And that, if you have a high amount of existing debt, you won't get a 0% apr card?

Every year. Not every month. They stayed within the introductory 12-month period. That's how my parents were able to build their credit and limit so fast. They went from bankruptcy to near-perfect credit in something like three years. Before they stopped, they had something like an 830 credit score (I once asked). The CC companies only saw that they had a debt that they consistently paid every month, which they love.

As an aside, if someone had credit problems, this would be one relatively fast way to repair it. However, it requires diligent well-organized steps. The initial stages suck because the APR is trash, but over time it gets better after consistently upgrading to better rates. CC companies are competitive as hell. Each one tends to offer better rates to get you on their card.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 08:57  RedEye9 

Vaccines Cause Immunity

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 08:19  Beamer 

[rest snipped]

-------------

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 02:15  Kxmode 

jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2020, 01:48:
Yarp, it's clever. It requires good organization though.

Yup. My parents were organized. On vacations, my dad would visit grocery stores and put in an application for work. The entire vacation could then be written off as a business trip. At the time, that was legal. I don't know if it is today. Pretty sure it's not.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 02:03  Kxmode 

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 22:21:
[rest snipped]
And there are so many rules and regulations for 0% apr cards from 1 year introductory offer to debt transfer limits to if you're late the rate goes back to 29.95%.

My parents never picked an offer that had transfer limits. As their credit score increased, both offers and choices became more competitive and attractive. My parents rarely saw anything worse than 0/0/0 with no transfer limits. They thew away any worse offers.

When a person reaches 800, they've reached stratosphere level options resulting in premium offers like 0/0/0, high credit limits, and no transfer caps. A person with an 800 or higher score rarely sees a 29.95% offer. Only a fool of a company would make such an offer. Those subprime offers are for people with poor or damaged credit like where my parents started after the bankruptcy.

Aside: I once got an AmEx Black offer with a limit of 50K. I thought that was cool but turned it down. No way I want something like that in my wallet.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 01:48  jdreyer 

[rest snipped]

Yarp, it's clever. It requires good organization though.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2020, 01:45  Kxmode 

[rest snipped]

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2020, 22:23  jdreyer 

[SC]TherMight wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 20:34:
So the Moose video turned out to be clickbaity. Which is funny because I assume Blue didn't mean for it to be.
Even more amusing to me I watched and enjoyed a 1.5 hour documentary on Moose birthing, milking, and mating with the actual scene advertise buried like 70 minutes into the video.
And it wasn't "Alaska man" it was "Russian woman"
And the cherry on top, the youtube it pointed was called
"The Best Moose Documentary Video Ever"

Never change, Bluesnews

Blue reports, you decide.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2020, 22:21  RedEye9 

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 18:53:
Beamer wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 15:49:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 15:10:
There are times that a second mortgage can save you money. If you need to borrow money, it's likely that a second mortgage is a lower cost option than many others, because it's being borrowed against something (your home.) So you're saving money vs alternatives. For instance, in your quote, you say "consolidate debt." If you have credit card debt, taking out a second mortgage to pay it down will absolutely save you money.
Those consolidation loans are a godsend for people who want to save money and actually pay off their debts. The amount you can save with a second mortcage versus credit card interest rates is mind boggling. Allthumbsup
'

And there are so many rules and regulations for 0% apr cards from 1 year introductory offer to debt transfer limits to if you're late the rate goes back to 29.95%.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2020, 22:13  Beamer 

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 18:53:
Beamer wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 15:49:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 15:10:
There are times that a second mortgage can save you money. If you need to borrow money, it's likely that a second mortgage is a lower cost option than many others, because it's being borrowed against something (your home.) So you're saving money vs alternatives. For instance, in your quote, you say "consolidate debt." If you have credit card debt, taking out a second mortgage to pay it down will absolutely save you money.
Those consolidation loans are a godsend for people who want to save money and actually pay off their debts. The amount you can save with a second mortcage versus credit card interest rates is mind boggling. Allthumbsup

Then consolidate all debts to another credit card with low to no interest rates and no transfer fees. Plenty of credit card companies offer free transfers as an enticement. That's a much better way to save money, plus this method builds up good credit fast and a bigger credit limit.

-------------

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2020, 21:15 1badmf

PHJF wrote on Jan 21, 2020, 12:45:
Glad China is apparently more environmentally progressive than USA. I live outside Cleveland where this year a "ban" on single-use plastic bags went into effect (you can still use them, you are just charged 10 cents per bag at checkout). Our radiantly red state leadership is attempting to overturn and outlaw such municipal bans, and the fucking dickless morons actually are pushing to build new plastic manufacturing facilities on the Ohio River bordering Pennsylvania.

it's insane how dead set against any and all pro-environment legislation the right has become. my old boss who's otherwise a very sweet lady, hates obama like a terrorist and blindly votes R every election, despises california's 10c plastic bag law. she once told me it's just another way for the damned democrats to suck money out of the working class and she'll be damned if she ever uses another plastic bag again.

like, fucking seriously? you're doing what the law intended; not to take your money, but to get you to STOP USING FUCKING PLASTIC BAGS. she's so indignantly self righteous i knew if i said anything she'd just bite my head off.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2020, 20:34 [SC]TherMight

So the Moose video turned out to be clickbaity. Which is funny because I assume Blue didn't mean for it to be.
Even more amusing to me I watched and enjoyed a 1.5 hour documentary on Moose birthing, milking, and mating with the actual scene advertise buried like 70 minutes into the video.
And it wasn't "Alaska man" it was "Russian woman"
And the cherry on top, the youtube it pointed was called
"The Best Moose Documentary Video Ever"

Never change, Bluesnews

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >