Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Another alternative Jan 20, 2020, 17:34  Burrito of Peace 

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 17:18:
It better have one of these 3.2TB SuperMicro Fusion ioScale PCI-E MLC SSDís.

Alas, no, just a Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD. Wanted to keep the PCIe bandwidth fully free for the 10Gbe NIC. Outtahere

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Another alternative Jan 20, 2020, 17:33  RedEye9 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 17:29:
Granted my epeen is all engorged but thatís a wee bit of overkill dontcha think
You quoted me before I finished my edit.
i see Shocked

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

11. Re: Another alternative Jan 20, 2020, 17:29  Burrito of Peace 

You quoted me before I finished my edit.

No, not overkill because it does more than just "routing". It runs suricata and snort, both of which are load heavy, and serves as the frontline defense against Brazilians, Indians, Chinese, Russian, and Ukrainian script kiddies who are trying to bang on my webservers constantly. My jail log and table, for example, are huge. It also serves as my home VPN connection point when I want to get to my files from, say, Canada with my laptop and I share that VPN with select individuals and some use it as a VPN relay to connect from there to a different VPN server for a secure, double blind connection.

It just does a lot of things (many things I have not listed) that, individually, aren't generally load heavy but when taken in aggregate would bog some crappy embedded device running a Celeron or Atom down to the point of uselessness.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

10. Re: Another alternative Jan 20, 2020, 17:18  RedEye9 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 17:13:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 13:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 13:24:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 5, 2020, 10:49:
I have two Netgear R7000 Nighthawks flashed with DD-WRT firmware acting as access points on an isolated VLAN behind a pfsense firewall/router that are absolute champs at 5Ghz. Plus you can overclock them if you want (Dog knows why, but you can).
thatís pretty real Smart
Hmm, which pfsense device? I looked at their website and none of them seem to have 5 Ghz processors -- pfsense products.

The 5Ghz was in reference to the Nighthawks running on the AC bandwidth spectrum.

As for what pfsense lives on, it runs on a dedicated Dell Optiplex 7040 that I picked up from surplus for exactly the purpose of using it as a firewall. I7 6700, 32GB of RAM, an SSD, and an Intel 10Gbe four port NIC (X710-T4L).
It better have one of these 3.2TB SuperMicro Fusion ioScale PCI-E MLC SSDís.
$240 server pulls eBay

Vaccines Cause Immunity

9. Re: Another alternative Jan 20, 2020, 17:13  Burrito of Peace 

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 13:52:
I have two Netgear R7000 Nighthawks flashed with DD-WRT firmware acting as access points on an isolated VLAN behind a pfsense firewall/router that are absolute champs at 5Ghz. Plus you can overclock them if you want (Dog knows why, but you can).
thatís pretty real Smart
Hmm, which pfsense device? I looked at their website and none of them seem to have 5 Ghz processors -- pfsense products.

The 5Ghz was in reference to the Nighthawks running on the AC bandwidth spectrum.

As for what pfsense lives on, it runs on a dedicated Dell Optiplex 7040 that I picked up from surplus for exactly the purpose of using it as a firewall. I7 6700, 32GB of RAM, an SSD, and an Intel 10Gbe four port NIC (X710-T4L).

To be more specific, I am using the onboard Intel 1Gbe NIC to connect to the cable modem since I have Gb internet service and route all traffic internally through the X710. Each port on the X710 is segregated for its own VLAN. Infrastructure (file servers, print servers, etc), workstations, misc (consoles, HTPCs, etc), and fourth is for feeding the wireless APs around the house. The first three can all communicate with one another while the last is siloed and traffic only goes to and from the Internet.

I just added a third AP in our bedroom this afternoon because I was tired of constantly dropping from AC to N speeds randomly.

8. Re: Another alternative Jan 20, 2020, 13:52  Mr. Tact 

thatís pretty real Smart

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

7. Re: Another alternative Jan 20, 2020, 13:24  RedEye9 

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 12:38:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 11:31:
I can get current speed, historical data about speed for six months, as well as bandwidth usage by MAC, device name (if reported), and the duration of any given connection out and in from my router at a glance.
You can get some that out of a normal $100 retail router, but not the six months of history, for that you need a "real router" -- just out of curiosity, what are you using?

thatís pretty real Smart

Vaccines Cause Immunity

6. Re: Another alternative Jan 20, 2020, 12:38  Mr. Tact 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 11:31:
I can get current speed, historical data about speed for six months, as well as bandwidth usage by MAC, device name (if reported), and the duration of any given connection out and in from my router at a glance.
You can get some that out of a normal $100 retail router, but not the six months of history, for that you need a "real router" -- just out of curiosity, what are you using?

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

5. Re: Another alternative Jan 20, 2020, 11:31  Burrito of Peace 

4. Another alternative Jan 20, 2020, 02:11 MxxCon

For the last 11-12 years I've been using https://www.trvx.com/rasgs/ (it's from the guy that created FlashFXP, if that tells you anything).
It shows nice accurate graphs and records historical bandwidth usage by day/week/month/year.
Although it doesn't display live numbers in taskbar, i have it running on startup and minimize to systray. At any point I can open the window and see all the previous history of transfers.

3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 19, 2020, 17:56 FloorPie

Its useful if you want to track speed while downloading and testing any internet speed issues. More useful is the software tracking bandwidth usage.

Thanks for the netspeed monitor link.

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 19, 2020, 15:46 phinn

Can't imagine why anyone would want to display that on their taskbar, it fluctuates a little bit constantly and is just a pointless stat once you already know your bandwidth.  

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 19, 2020, 13:34 Rhialto

Hey @Neutronbeam, NetSpeedMonitor does the same and is free.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >