Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience

A statement on VGC from Ubisoft announces a shakeup to the company's editorial team to create more varied gameplay experiences. They tie this back to last year's news that the publisher/developer was delaying three games to rethink their approach after disappointment in the response to Ghost Recon Breakpoint and The Division 2. VGC says: "It’s believed that by spreading editorial’s responsibilities across a group of leaders, the team can help bring a more distinct identity to their respective games. VGC was also told that simply expanding the group’s resources and giving it some presence outside of Paris could have just as much of a positive impact." They offer this quote from an anonymous source: "In the previous system that editorial had, there were often the ideas of just one or two people getting put into every game. That’s why you tended to see such similarity, because it’s the same taste and opinion being replicated." Here's the short statement on the topic from Ubisoft:
“We are reinforcing our editorial team to be more agile and better accompany our development teams around the world as they create the best gaming experiences for players.”
View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 19, 2020, 12:40 HorrorScope

roguebanshee wrote on Jan 19, 2020, 11:42:
Overall, the piece reads like Ubisoft had some people with enough seniority to get a promotion but no vacancies to promote those people to. So instead they shuffled things around and created a couple of new positions while publically spinning it as a way to diversify their future games. All done in the hope that this will increase sales of those games.

Very well could be, in the end we'll know.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 19, 2020, 12:38 HorrorScope

Jonjonz wrote on Jan 19, 2020, 07:07:
Ubisoft's enemies seem notoriously brain dead to me like the Serious Sam, Duke Nukem and old school Doom style, with the only surprises coming from clever hiding/ambush set ups and "I don't believe that many just spawned and keep spawning" type scenarios.

I disagree completely here, that is what makes all of their cookie cutter games much better than the rest, they actually do have AI. That is also the #1 thing I can't stand with FPS Unity games (probably could say Indy games), they have no AI beyond zombie, it is all just Serious Sam AI, which is Zombie AI which is bee-line to the player AI for the most part.

Using Division 2 again, it has amazing AI overall and on top of just their tactics, there is a shit ton of verbal discussion going on that is really well done and many games have next to none of this.

However when I say Div 2 is worse than Div 1, it is the same engine I'm sure but they purposely dialed it back, so something in market research has told them that. The one that really sticks out is AI fire reaction time. Say I get flanked an baddy shows up right next to me and then I need to reload. There have been too many times where they just stand there like they've froze and I should be dead to rights, I get reloaded and then kill them, things like that, that is what is slightly off here, not general AI tactics those are good. My guess is that this has something to do with gamepad reaction time. Another thing is when you shoot and hit baddies their bodies react realistically flailing around reacting to the force of the hit, cool. You like bosses though just take the hits, no disruption at all, probably is more fun to play that way, but shows another advantage the players have over the AI. One Advantage they probably have though is in rainy/foggy weather, no doubt the player is affected, chances are the AI doesn't equate that in, could be wrong.

I haven't done heroic yet, each difficulty level it seems they just throw more at you, higher ranking mobs and that they can take more and deal more damage, nothing to their brains. Reading the post about Sniper Elite makes me want to give that a try now.

But all their other games FC5, Wildlands, Odyssey, MadMax their overall AI and mechanics are as good as I see in games vs PVE. Another thing we don't see in Unity type games is intricate melee combats and the like, I call it Batman mechanics as to me that was my first introduction into really well orchestrated combat mechanics. I don't know but I find these games really fun to play and I do think of the programming involved with that and AI and how I wouldn't even know where to start... aka why Unity AI is the way it is, if there isn't a module you can buy for it, you get what they have because avg joes aren't programming this into their games. To me this is the power of corporate programming, they all should have amazing tools that an indy can't compete with.

I do like looter shooters, to me it is basically Diablo in a FPS pov and that alone makes it so much more immersive and the Div's do it well, but still plenty of room for improvement.

22. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 19, 2020, 11:42 roguebanshee

Overall, the piece reads like Ubisoft had some people with enough seniority to get a promotion but no vacancies to promote those people to. So instead they shuffled things around and created a couple of new positions while publically spinning it as a way to diversify their future games. All done in the hope that this will increase sales of those games.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2020, 11:20  MrCharm42 

After finishing Div2, I think it needs more items from some other Ubi games, namely Splinter Cell and some GR:W. I think sneaking around and having effectively silenced weapons, and maybe some climbing of buildings would be pretty good.  

20. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 19, 2020, 10:13 Pepe

I have very few Ubi games, played even less, but I do realy like the Division 1 & 2 although end game in 2 is somehwat lacking atm, but they are working on a patch to try and solve this.

Farcy 3 was a big letdown for me, too much cneaking, never tried an ass creed game for the same reason.

Did get anno 1800 on a sale, played it a bit, is decent imo need to put some more time in it, but got frustrated not beeing able to figure out how to vreate trade routes, ui is not userfriedly for this.

19. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 19, 2020, 08:34 NKD

Desperately needed. I've still been enjoying most of their games, but they need to change things up for sure.  

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

18. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 19, 2020, 07:07 Jonjonz

I used to enjoy the Far Cry series, but then I played Sniper Elite 3 and 4, plus Metal Gear Solid V which showed me enemy AI that was way more evolved than what you would find in Far Cry. Once you put in enough hours in an Ubisoft game you can anticipate just about every enemy AI move at which point the game replay ability tanks.

Ubisoft's enemies seem notoriously brain dead to me like the Serious Sam, Duke Nukem and old school Doom style, with the only surprises coming from clever hiding/ambush set ups and "I don't believe that many just spawned and keep spawning" type scenarios.

I won't be buying any more Ubisoft games until I see they have put some resources into enemy AI that is better than old school first era FPS mobs.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

17. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 19, 2020, 05:17 Kajetan

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2020, 02:47:
Ubisoft is clearly not holding the beer but holy crap, it took em this long to realize this?
They knew all the time. But previous revenue was high, their copy &paste games were VERY successful. Until they weren't so profitable anymore. So they simply change their product strategy. Everything else (including this statement) is just public relations and marketing to generate hype for the upcoming products.

16. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 19, 2020, 02:47 eRe4s3r

So basically Ubisoft just discovered that maybe hiring professional game designers to start pre-production per project and per studio is a good idea that.. wait, EVERYONE ELSE IS ALREADY DOING SINCE THE 90s because otherwise you are always doing the same game in green (unless those people are super independent and creative)?

Ubisoft is clearly not holding the beer but holy crap, it took em this long to realize this?

15. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 19, 2020, 01:39  Rilcon 

I like plenty of Ubi games just because they're decent timewasters. Some days I just want to spend an hour or two listening to some YT video or whatever while performing simple tasks in a big open world as a way to relax and clear my head.

Other days I load up some very violent/aggressive games to let off steam. And sometimes I like to play complex or involved RPGs, RTSs, or difficult twitchy games that need my actual attention either to follow the story or just not run into a virtual wall.

But anyway, Ubi games have had a place in my free time, and if they can keep having that place while adding some more variance I don't see the issue.

14. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 23:56 1badmf

oh look! another ubisoft game with a world map full of cookie cutter missions! yeah that needed to end.  

13. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 18, 2020, 23:51 zibby

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2020, 17:02.

12. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 22:50 OpticNerve

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 18, 2020, 20:35:
I do like their games quite a bit, but even so they do need to make them feel different and just add something more. This is a good move.

I like both Divisions, but the second the Tiers from 1 to 5 was so fast what is even the point? I do like the live map but there should have been some well designed meta game there that added strategy that matters. Also overall it is too easy and I do feel the AI was a bit of a step backwards from 1, that said it has some of the best AI in the biz, they just dumbed them down because they felt the audience is dumb, imo. Loot goes so fast there is like no point to even bother with it all that much until you hit top gear score, there has to be something better.

I agree with all of your points. It's a damned shame since the base mechanics of Div 2 are solid. It runs well, it looks great and the shooting/cover system is fun. It's just that there's nothing else to it after a while and you're just repeating stuff over and over again (a trend that runs rampant with all of Ubisoft's recent games) throughout all of the Tiers. Even though each Tier adds one new gameplay element, that one thing doesn't really add anything dramatic and is just a variation of the same thing you've been doing before.

11. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 20:35 HorrorScope

I do like their games quite a bit, but even so they do need to make them feel different and just add something more. This is a good move.

I like both Divisions, but the second the Tiers from 1 to 5 was so fast what is even the point? I do like the live map but there should have been some well designed meta game there that added strategy that matters. Also overall it is too easy and I do feel the AI was a bit of a step backwards from 1, that said it has some of the best AI in the biz, they just dumbed them down because they felt the audience is dumb, imo. Loot goes so fast there is like no point to even bother with it all that much until you hit top gear score, there has to be something better.

10. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 20:08  Prez 

This is definitely a positive sign from Ubisoft. They have gotten a little too comfortable with their typical formula and their recent games haven't been as good as they can be.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 19:43 OpticNerve

I think that they're heading in the right direction in regards to their games going forward. A lot of the various Ubisoft gamess tend to regurgitate a lot of elements from other Ubisoft games and eventually they get very samey, repetitive and boring.

They took a lot of lackluster gameplay elements from the Assassin's Creed games (ie. climbing tower-like structures to reveal an area and uncover a laundry list of things to do or attacking/stealth killing enemies in samey forts to clear it) and shoehorn those elements into other games such as Far Cry, Division, Watch Dogs etc.

It does feel like there's one lead designer that's being brought to every single game and their game design consists of the same stuff that's being repeated over and over again. Glad to see that Ubisoft is at least aware of it now and hopefully their future games will be a lot more unique and have their own identity because of these changes.

8. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 18:46 maddog

I wish they would have moved Ghost Recon more into the future and made a spiritual successor to Ghost Recon:Future Soldier.

7. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 17:11  jdreyer 

1. Go into the Ubisoft meeting scheduler.
2. Find all 500 meetings titled "Game Monetization."
3. Change topic to "Make Games Great Again."
4. Profit.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

6. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 17:00  Kxmode 

I can't say much about Division 2, but Breakpoint failed not because of editorial content. It failed because of rampant bugs, lackluster gameplay, and egregious and P2W micro-transactions. Spreading editorial's responsibilities does nothing more than fragment the game's focus.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

5. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 16:08 KilrathiAce

They needed to do this during silent hunter 3 times, now its way too late  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >