Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I really enjoyed HBO's Watchmen series. I also liked Zack Snyder's movie adaptation, which many did not, so I may not be the one to trust on this. But the show was better received across the board, so I'm in a firm majority on this. So it would stand to reason I'd be unhappy that its showrunner says he will not return for a second season, which HBO indicated effectively brings the show to a conclusion. That is not the case, though, I think this is an excellent call. The program erased my concerns that there was a story to be found for a sequel to the graphic novel, so I won't doubt they could find fuel for a new season. But it was really such a strong single arc that I have no problem with them calling it here. The meandering of season two of Westworld perhaps serves as a warning, as I enjoyed that, but not with nearly the same fervor as season one. The odd thing about the USA Today article on the news (thanks Neutronbeam) is how it concludes saying: "Sorry, fans, but the season-ending cliffhanger will likely never be resolved." But I don't think the ending was nebulous at all. Does anyone feel it was unclear what the next step would be (pun intended) after the final frame? I sure don't, which may be why I don't think there needs to be a season two at all.

Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Stories: Can ‘Star Trek’ Chart a Way Forward?
Man Busted for Impersonating Extremely Mediocre Former MLB Pitcher.
Science: Eating differently on weekends can lead to 'metabolic jet lag,' long-term health problems, experts say.
A new robotic pigeon can bend its wings like a real bird. Thanks Max.
Middle-age misery peaks at 47 years of age, study says.
Media: Squidworm - Deepsea Oddities.
Jeopardy Burn.
KIYA Key Safe Opened FAST.
Follow-up: Tardigrades Can Survive In Space, But They Have One Surprising Weakness. Thanks RedEye9.
View

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2020, 17:29 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2020, 06:59:
[rest snipped]

We're a small, poor country that can't afford to pay for healthcare for all.

Oh, wait, that's not right. We spend more per capita than any other nation with worse outcomes. So there's plenty of money, we're just incredibly wasteful with it. As someone who works in healthcare, I've seen this first hand.

Well, technically, we do, in some form or another. Whenever low income and illegal individuals and families visit the ER, the hospital typically figures out how to make the cost affordable. Some hospitals push the expense to their paying member in the form of higher annualized rates. Other hospitals may reduce a bill consisting of thousands or tens of thousands to a reasonable amount and on a payment plan. My hospital, Dignity (formerly Mercy), once assisted while I was on the high-end spectrum of low income. I went in for hernia surgery and thought my insurance covered it. They didn't, even though the individual I spoke with before the surgery assured me my insurance should cover it. The bill came out to 35 thousand and change. I went to Dignity's financial assistance department, and they reviewed my case and the misunderstanding I had with my insurance provider. After an hour or two, the lady absolved 95% leaving me with $1,750 that they put on a payment pay for $100 per month that I eventually paid off. Now that I make a significant more, I choose the best insurance plan that includes Dignity hospitals as a way to pay it forward to another individual or family in a similar situation as mine all those years ago.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 17, 11:46 Re: Middle age misery Bill Borre
  2. Jan 17, 12:28 Can ‘Star Trek’ Chart a Way Forward Simon Says
  3. Jan 17, 13:10 Re: Out of the Blue jdreyer
  4. Jan 17, 13:36 Re: Out of the Blue Verno
  5. Jan 17, 13:42  Re: Out of the Blue Beamer
  6. Jan 17, 14:08   Re: Out of the Blue Burrito of Peace
  7. Jan 17, 15:08    Re: Out of the Blue Simon Says
  12. Jan 17, 17:23     Re: Out of the Blue Burrito of Peace
  15. Jan 17, 18:28      Re: Out of the Blue Kxmode
  22. Jan 17, 21:41       Re: Out of the Blue jdreyer
  8. Jan 17, 15:36 Re: Out of the Blue Kxmode
  9. Jan 17, 15:56  Re: Out of the Blue RedEye9
  11. Jan 17, 16:34   Re: Out of the Blue Kxmode
  17. Jan 17, 18:39    Re: Out of the Blue Ozmodan
  18. Jan 17, 18:44     Re: Out of the Blue Kxmode
  23. Jan 17, 22:25   Re: Out of the Blue anonymous anonymous
  26. Jan 18, 06:59  Re: Out of the Blue jdreyer
>> 28. Jan 18, 17:29    Re: Out of the Blue Kxmode
  10. Jan 17, 16:05 Re: Out of the Blue shul
  13. Jan 17, 17:36 Re: Out of the Blue Mr. Tact
  14. Jan 17, 18:20 Re: Out of the Blue Kxmode
  16. Jan 17, 18:29 Re: Tardigrades Can Survive In Space, But They Have One Surprising Weakness Kxmode
  19. Jan 17, 19:31 Re: Out of the Blue Mr. Tact
  20. Jan 17, 21:14  Re: Out of the Blue Kxmode
  21. Jan 17, 21:26 Re: Out of the Blue Mr. Tact
  34. Jan 19, 18:05  Re: Out of the Blue Ant
  24. Jan 17, 23:56 Re: Out of the Blue Cutter
  25. Jan 18, 06:35  Re: Out of the Blue jdreyer
  27. Jan 18, 12:31 Re: Out of the Blue RedEye9
  29. Jan 18, 17:46 Re: Out of the Blue RedEye9
  30. Jan 18, 19:02  Re: Out of the Blue jdreyer
  31. Jan 18, 23:05  Re: Out of the Blue Kxmode
  32. Jan 19, 05:55  Re: Out of the Blue jdreyer
  33. Jan 19, 11:37   Re: Out of the Blue RedEye9