Out of the Blue

I really enjoyed HBO's Watchmen series. I also liked Zack Snyder's movie adaptation, which many did not, so I may not be the one to trust on this. But the show was better received across the board, so I'm in a firm majority on this. So it would stand to reason I'd be unhappy that its showrunner says he will not return for a second season, which HBO indicated effectively brings the show to a conclusion. That is not the case, though, I think this is an excellent call. The program erased my concerns that there was a story to be found for a sequel to the graphic novel, so I won't doubt they could find fuel for a new season. But it was really such a strong single arc that I have no problem with them calling it here. The meandering of season two of Westworld perhaps serves as a warning, as I enjoyed that, but not with nearly the same fervor as season one. The odd thing about the USA Today article on the news (thanks Neutronbeam) is how it concludes saying: "Sorry, fans, but the season-ending cliffhanger will likely never be resolved." But I don't think the ending was nebulous at all. Does anyone feel it was unclear what the next step would be (pun intended) after the final frame? I sure don't, which may be why I don't think there needs to be a season two at all.

Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Stories: Can ‘Star Trek’ Chart a Way Forward?
Man Busted for Impersonating Extremely Mediocre Former MLB Pitcher.
Science: Eating differently on weekends can lead to 'metabolic jet lag,' long-term health problems, experts say.
A new robotic pigeon can bend its wings like a real bird. Thanks Max.
Middle-age misery peaks at 47 years of age, study says.
Media: Squidworm - Deepsea Oddities.
Jeopardy Burn.
KIYA Key Safe Opened FAST.
Follow-up: Tardigrades Can Survive In Space, But They Have One Surprising Weakness. Thanks RedEye9.
View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 20, 2020, 06:48
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2020, 06:48
Jan 20, 2020, 06:48

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 19, 2020, 11:37:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 19, 2020, 05:55:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 18, 2020, 17:46:
No Human is illegal.
Quit using that term, it is ignorant and wrong.
Non-residential non-citizen? (e.g., "alien"). Instead of being simply pedantic, I wish you'd addressed his larger point. It's a discussion worth having, and it sounds like both of you are largely on the same page.
When someone blatantly uses the wrong term I’ll correct them. Just like I corrected him when he said the increased minimum wage was wrong. He “saw the light” on that subject, whether he chooses to on this one is up to him.

It's like correcting the news when they call a 30 round semi-automatic AR-15 pattern rifle a "machine gun." No, it's not a machine gun, but that's not the point: the shooter was able to kill 9 people with it. Picking on someone's vocab is pedantic, and it distracts from the larger argument.

If you wanted to correct him, you could have done it simply and then addressed the larger point. It would have landed better and the term could have been more likely to have been adopted.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jan 19, 2020, 18:05
Ant

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2020, 18:05
Jan 19, 2020, 18:05
 Ant

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 21:26:
Indeed.
com
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Jan 19, 2020, 11:37
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2020, 11:37
Jan 19, 2020, 11:37

jdreyer wrote on Jan 19, 2020, 05:55:
No Human is illegal.
Non-residential non-citizen? (e.g., "alien"). Instead of being simply pedantic, I wish you'd addressed his larger point. It's a discussion worth having, and it sounds like both of you are largely on the same page.
When someone blatantly uses the wrong term I’ll correct them. Just like I corrected him when he said the increased minimum wage was wrong. He “saw the light” on that subject, whether he chooses to on this one is up to him.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jan 19, 2020, 05:55
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2020, 05:55
Jan 19, 2020, 05:55

No Human is illegal.

One can hold that what Trump is doing is horrific and cruel on the one hand, while still understanding that a country needs to control its borders. If you have come into the country bypassing the entrance criteria that a country has set up, you've entered illegally, and are an alien. In a hospital ER, I'm sure the number of aliens is a relatively small percentage, and the large majority of uninsured waiting for services are Americans. Allowing more legal immigration, while at the same time making healthcare services available to all people within our borders should be the end goal.

Our immigration policy is in desperate need of an overhaul. That said, our government can barely support the current number of poor and indigent Americans. I wish our system was set up like Sweden: anyone goes to the doctor and it's all completely covered by taxes. That's not our system though, but I hope it is some day. It makes no sense to have private health care: it needs to be a public good like fire, police, military, electric grid (Enron sez "Hi"), etc.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jan 18, 2020, 23:05
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2020, 23:05
Jan 18, 2020, 23:05
 Kxmode

No Human is illegal.

"Illegal" doesn't describe the person. It's an adjective to describe the individual's current legal status in the nation they dwell. In a country of laws you're either a legal or an illegal resident; there's nothing in between. I chose to use it because that's precisely what it meant in the context of my post. It's not ignorant and it is certainly not wrong to use. If you're offended by it, then that's your problem.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 18, 2020, 19:02
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2020, 19:02
Jan 18, 2020, 19:02

No Human is illegal.

Aliens disagrees.

There's never a *wrong* time for an Aliens reference.

Jan 18, 2020, 17:46
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2020, 17:46
Jan 18, 2020, 17:46

No Human is illegal.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

Jan 18, 2020, 17:29
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2020, 17:29
Jan 18, 2020, 17:29
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2020, 06:59:
[rest snipped]

We're a small, poor country that can't afford to pay for healthcare for all.

Oh, wait, that's not right. We spend more per capita than any other nation with worse outcomes. So there's plenty of money, we're just incredibly wasteful with it. As someone who works in healthcare, I've seen this first hand.

Well, technically, we do, in some form or another. Whenever low income and illegal individuals and families visit the ER, the hospital typically figures out how to make the cost affordable. Some hospitals push the expense to their paying member in the form of higher annualized rates. Other hospitals may reduce a bill consisting of thousands or tens of thousands to a reasonable amount and on a payment plan. My hospital, Dignity (formerly Mercy), once assisted while I was on the high-end spectrum of low income. I went in for hernia surgery and thought my insurance covered it. They didn't, even though the individual I spoke with before the surgery assured me my insurance should cover it. The bill came out to 35 thousand and change. I went to Dignity's financial assistance department, and they reviewed my case and the misunderstanding I had with my insurance provider. After an hour or two, the lady absolved 95% leaving me with $1,750 that they put on a payment pay for $100 per month that I eventually paid off. Now that I make a significant more, I choose the best insurance plan that includes Dignity hospitals as a way to pay it forward to another individual or family in a similar situation as mine all those years ago.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 18, 2020, 12:31
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2020, 12:31
Jan 18, 2020, 12:31

LPL best comment under the video
You're one of the few youtubers that doesn't care about hitting the 10 minute mark and just goes straight to the point and I appreciate that.
Amen
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

Jan 18, 2020, 06:59
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2020, 06:59
Jan 18, 2020, 06:59

Kxmode wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 15:36:
A woman left the ER to find another hospital after a long wait. Two hours later, she was dead

After waiting more than two hours, the 25-year-old left and went to seek help at an urgent care, the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner said in a report. She collapsed by her car as soon as she arrived at the urgent care, and was pronounced dead not long after.

Her family wants to know why it took so long for her to get medical help.

"I really don't think they cared about my daughter," her mother, Yolanda Ward, told CNN affiliate WDJT. "She should not have been waiting out there that long."

I have the best medical care my job provides, and yet I once went to the ER because I was experiencing numbness in my forearm and bicep. I waited an hour and a half to see a doctor, and then another two and a half hours to sign out. There are two reasons why it took so long. First, the vast majority of people in the ER were low-income individuals and families — likely many who are not legal citizens. Second, only one doctor was handling a caseload of 75 patients. I remember the number when another doctor asked her; she was overwhelmed. Ms. Ward likely encountered a similar issue with that ER. The hospital is partly to blame for not having adequate staff to handle their load. There's also the problem of low-income and illegal residents using area ERs because no other options for health care exist. In any event, a bad situation all around. Real sorry for her family's loss.

We're a small, poor country that can't afford to pay for healthcare for all.

Oh, wait, that's not right. We spend more per capita than any other nation with worse outcomes. So there's plenty of money, we're just incredibly wasteful with it. As someone who works in healthcare, I've seen this first hand.

Jan 18, 2020, 06:35
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2020, 06:35
Jan 18, 2020, 06:35

Cutter wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 23:56:
Fuck are you talking about? ST TMP was the best film of them all.

That's only because you wanted to bone Lieutenant Ilia.

Jan 17, 2020, 23:56
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2020, 23:56
Jan 17, 2020, 23:56
 Cutter

Fuck are you talking about? ST TMP was the best film of them all.
Morty: You sold a gun to a murderer so you could play video games?
Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.

Jan 17, 2020, 22:25
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2020, 22:25
Jan 17, 2020, 22:25

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 15:56:
1. Humans aren’t illegal.
2. I doubt you’re low-income and yet you were in the ER.
Well, RedEye9, if you support using expensive healthcare resource for illegal aliens, then I assume you are contributing most of your personal leftover salary or savings to pay for those life-giving services for them? Right?

Wait, what? Oh, so you aren't paying for the illegal's healthcare services with your personal funds? Yes, I already know that: because hyprocrits are responsible for this situation.

Jan 17, 2020, 21:41
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2020, 21:41
Jan 17, 2020, 21:41

Kxmode wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 18:28:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 17:23:
Let's break it down:

Movies

The original cast
ST: TMP - crap. Boring crap at that.
ST: WoK- Awesome. The greatest of the original cast movies.
ST: SS - meh. Fans are pissed off that Spock died, as Nimoy wanted, so now we have to bring him back with mystical mumbo jumbo.
ST: WHALES! - Absolute crap.
ST: FF - Let's try to be shittier than the movie about whales!
ST: UC - Very good but not as great as WoK.

The Next Generation
ST: G - Shatner needs to get paid and we gotta shoehorn a handover somehow.
ST: FC - The best of all the TNG movies.
ST: I - Shouldn't have this been an episode? Holy fuck this movie is terrible. Magic space dust makes us all immortal! Let's pilot the Enterprise with a Thrustmaster joystick! PEW PEW PEW!
ST: N - Wait..what...how did this fanfic make it in to a script? Also, we've spent literal decades world building that the Romulans were the greatest intelligence gathering organization in the galaxy but...YOLO SWAG! Fuck 'em, coup time!

I chuckled. Here's the Reboot reviews

ST: JJ Abrams makes the most Star Wars Star Trek movie ever
ST ID: NOT KKKHHAAAANNNNNNN
ST B: I can't stand it. Did you plan it?!

BOP can you do a Star Wars breakdown?
I want to see a Rian Johnson ST movie. Because TLJ was essentially that.

Jan 17, 2020, 21:26
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2020, 21:26
Jan 17, 2020, 21:26

Indeed.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jan 17, 2020, 21:14
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2020, 21:14
Jan 17, 2020, 21:14
 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 19:31:
The only time I been at an ER for myself was on a Dec. 26th. Great time to go, not many people there....

If only medical emergencies could be scheduled.

Jan 17, 2020, 19:31
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2020, 19:31
Jan 17, 2020, 19:31

The only time I been at an ER for myself was on a Dec. 26th. Great time to go, not many people there....
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jan 17, 2020, 18:44
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2020, 18:44
Jan 17, 2020, 18:44
 Kxmode

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 18:39:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 16:34:
[rest snipped]

It all depends on the ER when Triage takes place. I have been in some ERs where there is no Triage nurse in sight even with the face filled.

There was no triage nurse at the ER I went to. Literally just one nurse handling 75 patients. I get the sense that they prioritized people based on whether they have insurance. One family was there for five hours, twice as long as me. I saw a bunch of people sleeping in their chairs.

Jan 17, 2020, 18:39
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2020, 18:39
Jan 17, 2020, 18:39

Kxmode wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 16:34:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 15:56:
1. Humans aren’t illegal.
2. I doubt you’re low-income and yet you were in the ER.

The first stop is triage where a medical professional prioritizes each patient's condition into one of three general categories:

• Immediately life threatening
  • Urgent, but not necessarily immediately life threatening
  • Less urgent
1. I wrote "not legal citizens" as in not a legal resident of the nation in which they reside. Stop twisting my words into some other meaning.
2. Outside of privately owned Urgent Care centers, an ER is the only option to go when a condition that you think to be or is an emergency. In other words, I can't see my primary care doctor. So yes, that's why I was in the ER.
3. The article states the hospital didn't deem her condition "immediately life-threatening" even though the Xrays detected an enlarged heart. Once found, the doctor should have checked her in right-away and prioritized her health.

It all depends on the ER when Triage takes place. I have been in some ERs where there is no Triage nurse in sight even with the face filled.

Re: Tardigrades Can Survive In Space, But They Have One Surprising Weakness
Jan 17, 2020, 18:29
Kxmode

Re: Tardigrades Can Survive In Space, But They Have One Surprising Weakness Jan 17, 2020, 18:29
Jan 17, 2020, 18:29
 Kxmode

Science confirms: Heat can now kill anything. In other news, grass is green.
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older