Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed

This tweet from CD Projekt RED offers a letter announcing a delay to Cyberpunk 2077, their highly anticipated RPG. The game was expected on April 16th, but now they say it is due on September 17th. They say it is now playable, but the extra time will be used to make it "perfect":
We have important news regarding Cyberpunk 2077's release date we'd like to share with you today.

Cyberpunk 2077 won't make the April release window and we're moving the launch date to September 17, 2020.

We are currently at a stage where the game is complete and playable, but there's still work to be done. Night City is massive ó full of stories, content and places to visit, but due to the sheer scale and complexity of it all, we need more time to finish playtesting, fixing and polishing. We want Cyberpunk 2077 to be our crowning achievement for this generation and postponing launch will give us precious months we need to make the game perfect.

Expect more regular updates on progress as we get closer to the new release date.

We're really looking forward to seeing you in Night City, thank you for your ongoing support.
View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 17:24  jdreyer 

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 09:19:
I remember being in my teens, when a delay would crush me.

Now, not only do I figure it's a good thing, but I probably wouldn't get around to playing the game for a year, anyway, so it's nothing to me. Perspective, haha.
You, sir, are a man wise beyond your years. But you're still a heathen.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 14:33  Verno 

Totally OK with the delay, most CDPR games have released very rough. Any more time in the tank is only going to be a good thing.  

Playing: Hades, Bloodborne, Total War: Warhammer 2,
Watching: Captain Blood, VFW, Mississippi Grind

37. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 11:49  Beamer 

mch wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 11:39:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 11:25:

Stupid is taking a response out of the context of what it's responding to. It was said they have no plans whatsoever to support the next-gen hardware based on one little snippet of this announcement, and I said that's jumping to conclusions. Assuming the delay is to align with the launch of said hardware is a similar leap.

Actually, fair enough. I suppose my response was more intended for McTurbo. You are correct, the comment you were responding to did make it sound like they have no intention of releasing on next-gen hardware. Apologies.

What?
No! This is the internet. Don't admit you were wrong, or overreacted, or weren't clear, or misunderstood. Double down and attack!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

36. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 11:39 mch

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 11:25:

Stupid is taking a response out of the context of what it's responding to. It was said they have no plans whatsoever to support the next-gen hardware based on one little snippet of this announcement, and I said that's jumping to conclusions. Assuming the delay is to align with the launch of said hardware is a similar leap.

Actually, fair enough. I suppose my response was more intended for McTurbo. You are correct, the comment you were responding to did make it sound like they have no intention of releasing on next-gen hardware. Apologies.

35. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 11:25 jacobvandy

mch wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 10:01:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 09:35:

Is placing your own emphasis on a word in that phrase your only evidence? Bit of a leap, there.

So, let me get this straight. You conspiracy theorists think they're delaying this game to September so that it can launch on next-gen consoles that won't yet be released?

Straight up stupid, there.

However, native backwards compatibility in the new consoles means there is no need for 'remastered' ports. Every major game releasing this year is very likely to be fired up on that new hardware right away, and you can bet the developers have paid that some consideration. It's not that much extra work for them to support better hardware, similar to how the One X and Pro were supported with small title updates.

So for a game like this, which is supposed to be pushing the limits of what's possible even on PC... They are almost certainly thinking about how much better they could do with it on Sexbox and PS5 than the current consoles, even if they haven't yet begun testing those updates in earnest.

34. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 10:54 mch

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 10:03:

It'd probably take longer than that to rebuild and upscale it, plus the new Xbox is very specific about being backwards compatible so there's no true software difference, plus it would be a much smaller install base even if consoles have launched - games often release first on the old, then on the new.

That's what I was thinking. More likely we'll see a "remastered" or optimized version to follow on next-gen hardware. Not unlike The Last of Us, which released towards the end of the PS3's lifecycle.

33. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 10:09 NKD

Apparently they are also going into crunch mode. Enjoy your 5 months of extra crunch, devs. Poor bastards.  

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

32. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 10:03  Beamer 

mch wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 10:01:

Is placing your own emphasis on a word in that phrase your only evidence? Bit of a leap, there.

So, let me get this straight. You conspiracy theorists think they're delaying this game to September so that it can launch on next-gen consoles that won't yet be released?

It'd probably take longer than that to rebuild and upscale it, plus the new Xbox is very specific about being backwards compatible so there's no true software difference, plus it would be a much smaller install base even if consoles have launched - games often release first on the old, then on the new.

-------------

31. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 10:01 mch

30. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 09:35 jacobvandy

Nailbender wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 07:55:
McTurbo wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 22:06:
(game stalled for Xbox series x and PlayStation 5 release this fall)
Nope, they have no plans to support the new platforms (as they say they want this to be their "crowning achievement for THIS generation"). Also, the new platforms are expected to release on the holiday season, after the new launch date.

29. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 09:19  Beamer 

I remember being in my teens, when a delay would crush me.

Now, not only do I figure it's a good thing, but I probably wouldn't get around to playing the game for a year, anyway, so it's nothing to me. Perspective, haha.

Though this is one I may have felt obligated to play asap.

-------------

28. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 09:04 theglaze

Alllll aboard the hype train, pre-order now!  

27. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 08:03 Nailbender

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 07:16:
I wasn't even aware that there was an April "release" date window, but seriously is there a developer on this planet who has actually ever hit these?
They've announced a release date (not just a window) of April 16th 2020 during the last E3, on June 2019... that was also the specific date mentioned on GOG (now it moved to reflect the new one, of course).
And yeah, many developers release on schedule. Not all games get postponed. But for a game this massive, a delay is not surprising.

26. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 07:55 Nailbender

McTurbo wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 22:06:
(game stalled for Xbox series x and PlayStation 5 release this fall)
Nope, they have no plans to support the new platforms (as they say they want this to be their "crowning achievement for THIS generation"). Also, the new platforms are expected to release on the holiday season, after the new launch date.

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2020, 07:27 IgWannA

When they moved it to April I thought at the time that was still an ambitious date. This delay doesn't surprise me in the least and I am expecting a further delay to the holiday period, because it's that ambitious a game and CRPR know they can't fuck anything up. After the success of W3 this is the difficult second album, as it were.

There is also news out today of a huge crunch being required to complete the game. Despite CDPR saying previously they would stop crunching so much. CDPR's share price has fallen 10% over night on the news of the delay and crunch time.

24. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 07:16 VaranDragon

I wasn't even aware that there was an April "release" date window, but seriously is there a developer on this planet who has actually ever hit these?  

23. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 05:45  Burrito of Peace 

I, too, am fine with the delay to bring a better product to market. I was a bit disappointed at first when I read that but got over it pretty quickly.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

22. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 05:16 rist3903

Take the time you need to make the game you want to make.

21. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 02:39 Cutter

Works for me. I'd rather they do it next Autumn or Winter.  

"Listen, Iím not the nicest guy in the Universe because Iím the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

20. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 01:13 Dash

I'm fine with a few extra months of polish. There's plenty of other games to keep me entertained, really.

But that means when it comes out, that game better be amazeballs like nothing else, to chip through the jaded layer of apathy and rekindle the same kind of 'Wow...' feeling you got when playing Doom or similar games for that first time.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >