Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found

XSEED Games announces the release of Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls, a new installment in the venerable RPG series originated by Sir-Tech. This Windows game can be picked up through GOG.com, Humble Store, and Steam, with each store offering a 10% launch discount for the first week. Here's word: "In Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls players will recruit a party of six adventurers before venturing into vast underground dungeons, choosing between five different races and eight different classes to create a team with diverse skills. With over 100 unique enemy designs ranging from the traditional to the bizarre and dangers potentially lurking around every corner, players will need to remain vigilant and ensure that their party is prepared for the challenges that lie ahead. Staying true to the series’ roots, these dangers will be plentiful…and quite deadly." They illustrate the news with the Opening Cinematic and offer more details on the game:
In a faraway land 2000 years before the current era, the god Avrul created the Draguun, a race bearing the bloodline of the dragon gods. They excelled in the mystic arts and built a prosperous civilization, ruling over the world for many years. However, the Draguun were arrogant, and eventually fell victim to their own powerful magic. Their disappearance plunged the world into chaos until the empire of Darua, in the land of Athals, united the people once again. Thus began the age of Athals.

In the 100th year of Athals the emperor of Darua fell into madness and his empire quickly collapsed, leaving the land divided among three factions - the Kingdom of Diement, the Council of Qhopati and the Haersant Federation. Working together, the three countries built a strong alliance and lasting peace returned to the land of Athals. However, over time, dangerous monsters that were supposedly sealed away by the angels, long, long ago in the time of legends, began to appear once more. Not only did monsters and beasts return, but powerful demons, known as the “Elder Ones” also turned their attention to Athals.

The sages say that “Something which had once sealed away the Elder Ones is losing its power,” and the fortune tellers say that “The balance of the world has begun to collapse,” but no one could be truly sure of the reason for their return. The people hold onto their visions of peace while living in fear of the unknown. But among them, some stepped forward to search for the artifacts left long ago by the Draguun, while others pursued monsters to collect bounties. These men and women, with exceptional strength and skill and wielding the powers of magic and ancient martial arts, became known as “Adventurers,” fighting for good or fortune as yet another dark shadow looms just over the horizon…
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found
Jan 16, 2020, 19:05
Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 16, 2020, 19:05
Jan 16, 2020, 19:05

Icewind wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 14:39:

Funny you should say that since there was a console exclusive Dungeon Master spin-off for the Turbografx-16 that had anime cutscenes. I bought that back in the day and it's actually quite good.

I think it was Class of Heroes, or maybe Sword City, that allowed you to switch the portraits in the game from anime to "standard PC style". To be honest, Wizardry should have done it here as well.

Yep, butchered by Software Heaven and definitely not an FTL (the OG devs) product. More weeb shit. The title was Dungeon Master: Theron's Quest because FTL would not allow them to use the DM name as a direct drop in. I remember an interview with Wayne Holder and Doug Bell way, way back in the day and they were decidedly not happy with what Software Heaven did.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Jan 16, 2020, 14:39
Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 16, 2020, 14:39
Jan 16, 2020, 14:39

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 07:06:
Icewind wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 02:15:
...even if you guys are turned off by the art style...

I'm not turned off on it...it's objectively bad and a blatant pandering to a specific market of fucking incel weebs.

I'm sure D.W. Bradley doesn't give a shit because he got his money out of it but I agree, how the mighty have fallen. It's like if Dungeon Master or Bard's Tale suddenly were released with chibi shit and every character says "uWu" every other sentence.

Funny you should say that since there was a console exclusive Dungeon Master spin-off for the Turbografx-16 that had anime cutscenes. I bought that back in the day and it's actually quite good.

I think it was Class of Heroes, or maybe Sword City, that allowed you to switch the portraits in the game from anime to "standard PC style". To be honest, Wizardry should have done it here as well.

Jan 16, 2020, 11:17
Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 16, 2020, 11:17
Jan 16, 2020, 11:17

I bought this yesterday on gog. Outside of modern art (that one may like or dislike) and a few other modern touchups (automapper for instance). The game plays remarkably similar to Wizardry 1. Controls bite though. Less awkward on a gamepad than a keyboard but it _was_ a console release back in the day... They should really release these games on PC with keybind settings.

These sorts of turn based games that the US pioneered back in the day fell out of favor a long time ago in the US but thrive in Japan. It's really not "pandering" to anyone other than fans of grindy dungeon crawlers.

Jan 16, 2020, 10:56
Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 16, 2020, 10:56
Jan 16, 2020, 10:56

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 09:51:
This burrito isn't peaceful today...

Burrito is pretty fucking cranky today, agreed. Long streak of insomnia and lots of pain.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Jan 16, 2020, 10:16
Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 16, 2020, 10:16
Jan 16, 2020, 10:16

Wasn't someone saying in the last thread about this game that the series is only still going because of its popularity in Japan? A quick googlin' says these games have been using anime style art for two whole decades now.

Jan 16, 2020, 09:51
Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 16, 2020, 09:51
Jan 16, 2020, 09:51

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 07:06:

I'm not turned off on it...it's objectively bad and a blatant pandering to a specific market of fucking incel weebs.

I'm sure D.W. Bradley doesn't give a shit because he got his money out of it but I agree, how the mighty have fallen. It's like if Dungeon Master or Bard's Tale suddenly were released with chibi shit and every character says "uWu" every other sentence.
This burrito isn't peaceful today...

Jan 16, 2020, 07:06
Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 16, 2020, 07:06
Jan 16, 2020, 07:06

Jan 16, 2020, 02:15
Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 16, 2020, 02:15
Jan 16, 2020, 02:15

Not a new game. Came out on PS3's digital store (digital only title) back in...2011 or so. I beat it back then. Was fairly good, even if you guys are turned off by the art style. I grinded for the Muramasa ninja blade right before the last boss too. DLC was horrible though, nothing but anti-magic rooms and invisible teleporters.

Edit: A better trailer was the one from 2011:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxOD6kk-Ksc

Jan 16, 2020, 01:52
Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 16, 2020, 01:52
Jan 16, 2020, 01:52

That art style is just heinous. A more accurate title would be something like Hentai Dungeon.

Jan 15, 2020, 21:47
Re: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls Found Jan 15, 2020, 21:47
Jan 15, 2020, 21:47

oh how the mighty have fallen...
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older