Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Following the age-old adage of never putting off until tomorrow what you can put off until the next day, I forestalled switching to Windows 10 for as long as possible. But inspired by yesterday's actual EOL for Windows 7 I decided it was time to make the move. The motivation for this was compounded by the fact that my system has been failing to install various updates over the past several months anyway, so I was only getting partial support for my OS while it was still being supported. I had concerns that whatever was causing this problem might impede my upgrade. Sure enough, trying to upgrade to Win10 cranks along until the first reboot, at which point it fails and reverts back to Win7. Here's the error message I receive: "0x8007001F-0x20006 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation." The good news is that there is plenty of advice on the internet on how to fix this, starting with deleting third-party antivirus software all the way through using third-party tweak utilities. The bad news is that none of these have helped me so far. So after trying the upgrade about a dozen times I put this aside. So this morning I had a message from Windows Update saying a new update would apply the next time I rebooted, so hopeful that it would actually resolve itself, I tried that. And proving things can always get worse this resulted in a BSOD. This persisted through a few reboots, but, thankfully, shutting down entirely and starting my system worked. As part of this process I tried using my Win7 install disc to repair my install, but that does not seem to offer this option as expected, it just wants to go ahead and do an install. I assume this is because this is an installer specifically "Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC." Anyway, I will probably just let it go ahead and do a fresh reinstall so I can get the Win10 upgrade going. The good news there is that more and more of one's data and settings are in the cloud and proper backups these days, so it should be easier to get back to where I want to be than if this was 20 years ago. But it's still a pain, to say the least, so wish me luck. Thanks in advance for the inevitable suggestions that I install Linux. =]

Upgrade Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Link: Cosplaying Politician Elected In Taiwan. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Stories: This year may finally fulfill the promise of private human spaceflight.
Billie Eilish Set For New Bond Film Song.
Science: Sex delays menopause, study finds. Acleacius.
Gene Tweak Can Extend Life 500% (But You Have to Be a Worm). Fair tradeoff?
Images: Is this what people mean when they say their dog is broken? Asking for a friend.
Media: Scottish reporter falls for Australian drop bear prank.
Sigtuna ďHeavy DutyĒ U-Lock Picked.
Security Door.
View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Sex delays menopause, study finds. Jan 15, 2020, 13:22  Mr. Tact 

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 12:39:
Out of curiosity, how long does everyone here tend to keep their PC?

In the early 00s I was on a 2-3 year cycle.
But now? My late 00s PC lasted 5 years, its replacement lasted 6 years, and the new one has been running 4 years.I don't really do upgrades, though the last one got more RAM and a new SSD, both upgrades now in my current rig.
Similar here... used to update every 3 years. But this one and the one previously I waited longer. This time I'm coming up on 8 years. Did RAM and HD upgrades. Any PC I buy now I will expect to last a minimum of 5 years.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Sex delays menopause, study finds. Jan 15, 2020, 13:11 VaranDragon

Microsoft. Shafting you when you least want it to.

Jokes aside, my girlfriend had similar symptoms on her ancient Win7 laptop and it turned out to be a hardware issue. In fact it was bad sectors on the hard drive corrupting the damn ugprade/repair process and eventuially FUBARing the entire damn system.

Just an idea, though Im guessing Im late to the party, try and check the disk for errors before doing anything else.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 13:10 aka_STEVE

Upgrading is never the answer..... A fresh install is way easier now a days and takes less time than ever. ( using the windows install usb method ) & a decent internet.

Good luck

19. Re: Sex delays menopause, study finds. Jan 15, 2020, 13:05  Beamer 

PHJF wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 12:58:
Iím still rocking windows 7 and will continue to until my programs stop working. Itís not broke, it doesnít need fixing, and I havenít had a BSOD in literally years.

I let my core PC stuff get really out of date before upgrading, and have had my current i5 with (only) 8GB and a 970gtx for four years now. I put more SSDs in it and upgraded my monitor, but until games start running like shit at 1080p I see no reason to upgrade. Stuff like my case and PSU and my peripherals I buy to last (my sennheiser headset is probably eight years old), but I tend toward mid range but functional innards.

What CPU? Mine is the i5-4590, I think. 4570? Something like that.
I have the same GPU, though I went dumb and got one of the best ones out there, a Gigabyte Windforce, for some dumb reason. And I have 12GB of RAM. But yeah, 1080p monitor, one of the old and amazing Dell IPS ones, along with a second, cheap monitor that functions mostly for Spotify these days.

For 1080p, it feels fine. And I don't see myself moving off of 1080p for a while. Don't feel like upgrading the monitor, as a 4K monitor that is comparable quality seems like it'd be very expensive for not much benefit. I may be smart to trade up to one widescreen instead of two 16:10, though - my computer is in a corner of my tiny NYC apartment, on the smallest desk I could find, and one of the monitors is stuck hanging off precariously.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Sex delays menopause, study finds. Jan 15, 2020, 13:02  Burrito of Peace 

PCs = 5-7 years
Servers = 4-5 years

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 13:02  Beamer 

Blue wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 12:49:

But now? My late 00s PC lasted 5 years, its replacement lasted 6 years, and the new one has been running 4 years.I don't really do upgrades, though the last one got more RAM and a new SSD, both upgrades now in my current rig.

The last one was really on its last legs, though. I decided it was time when I was playing Far Cry 4 and watched some YouTube videos on the game, only to realize how much I was missing visually. It was an entirely different game. I'm not feeling that with my current one. I'm also probably playing less recent, and fewer demanding, games. I'm wagering Cyberpunk makes me really want a new PC.

In the 90s I had a couple of upgrade cycles that were under a year. But I built this baby
back in September 2013. I've upgraded the graphics card since then and she is still humming along after more than six years. And that is after using a previous generation CPU at the time!
These days I do previous gen everything. In my completely unscientific opinion (it would probably be easy enough to verify this, but...), there's just more bang for the buck. It'll cost you half as much, but only go obsolete 12-18 months sooner. So you get 6 years instead of 7. I bought a $140 CPU from Microcenter, which also meant a much cheaper motherboard, and being able to reuse the same RAM. I probably saved $500 over going with a newer processor, and it's really getting comparable frames in modern games. That $500 was meaningful, when the entire system was supposed to be $700 total (ended up more like $1200.)

Then again, my lack of interest in ever upgrading the CPU factors in. If I'd planned to, the old socket would be bad, but my basic philosophy is that if you're going to go through the effort of upgrading the CPU, may as well build a new PC.

-------------

16. Re: Sex delays menopause, study finds. Jan 15, 2020, 12:58  PHJF 

Iím still rocking windows 7 and will continue to until my programs stop working. Itís not broke, it doesnít need fixing, and I havenít had a BSOD in literally years.

I let my core PC stuff get really out of date before upgrading, and have had my current i5 with (only) 8GB and a 970gtx for four years now. I put more SSDs in it and upgraded my monitor, but until games start running like shit at 1080p I see no reason to upgrade. Stuff like my case and PSU and my peripherals I buy to last (my sennheiser headset is probably eight years old), but I tend toward mid range but functional innards.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 12:49  Blue 

The last one was really on its last legs, though. I decided it was time when I was playing Far Cry 4 and watched some YouTube videos on the game, only to realize how much I was missing visually. It was an entirely different game. I'm not feeling that with my current one. I'm also probably playing less recent, and fewer demanding, games. I'm wagering Cyberpunk makes me really want a new PC.

In the 90s I had a couple of upgrade cycles that were under a year. But I built this baby
back in September 2013. I've upgraded the graphics card since then and she is still humming along after more than six years. And that is after using a previous generation CPU at the time!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 12:46 Scutty

Hey Blue,
I previously had Stardock Fences installed and I could not get an upgrade to complete until I took that software off. So maybe it's something like that??

13. Re: Sex delays menopause, study finds. Jan 15, 2020, 12:39  Beamer 

-------------

12. Re: Sex delays menopause, study finds. Jan 15, 2020, 12:25  Mr. Tact 

Prez wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 12:20:
No wonder my ex went into menopause at 38.
Haha!

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 12:25  Mr. Tact 

Fion wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 12:19:
Call me stubborn but I'm not installing Win10 until I do another big upgrade, in a year or two.
Yeah, I'm not in a particular rush. But I need an upgrade anyway... Win7 going out of maintenance is really just the straw which has almost broken the PC's back...

10. Sex delays menopause, study finds. Jan 15, 2020, 12:20  Prez 

No wonder my ex went into menopause at 38.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 12:19  Fion 

Call me stubborn but I'm not installing Win10 until I do another big upgrade, in a year or two.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 12:12  RedEye9 

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 11:59:
I'm with you Blue, I need to take the leap myself. As I have indicated previously I'll probably just buy a new computer as mine is approaching its eighth birthday. But I'm sure I'll be sorry to see Win7 in my rearview mirror... Best of luck on your upgrade fixes.
I think mentioned this years ago. From the factory My hp laptop had great sound with a proprietary SRS driver. 10 broke that and it was only audible in a quiet room, 10 also broke sleep (not that I use that but it was more the thought that I couldnít) So back to 7 I went.
Thinking of backing it up and trying the upgrade on it. Then again I may just join the bot net and continue using 7. Or I may do a clean install of 10. Not to concerned about it.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 12:06 LostDog

Try turning off VT-D (or any of the Virtualization Technology) in the BIOS. That killed setting turned on prevented one particular update for me. Once that was turned off I could update.

Then again, I'm on an ancient bios rocking a LGA 1366 chipset...

Or switch to linux

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 11:59  Mr. Tact 

I'm with you Blue, I need to take the leap myself. As I have indicated previously I'll probably just buy a new computer as mine is approaching its eighth birthday. But I'm sure I'll be sorry to see Win7 in my rearview mirror... Best of luck on your upgrade fixes.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 11:51  The Pyro 

I converted an older laptop to Linux recently to avoid the obligatory Microsoft tax; the original hard drive had failed and the kids only use it for games anyway. I kinda regret that decision. I do a bit of Linux work at the office, so I was able to eventually get the system running the kid's favorites (e.g. Zoo Tycoon), but it was a major PITA. Neither the wi-fi nor Wine worked out-of-the-box on this machine for some reason, so there was quite a bit of googling and terminal commands before it began to play nice.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're comfortable working a Linux command line.

As far as OS upgrades, I don't recommend them. Even when they appear to work, you can end up having problems weeks or months later. Do a fresh install whenever possible.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 11:43  RedEye9 

oh Crap blue.
Hope you figure it out. Have you done everything feasible to reset your windows update components and cache?

Youíre probably due for a clean install if 7 is not accepting updates (unless it is a rare hardware issue)
Wish I was around the corner, Iíd be over in an instant with all my hammers.
Good luck.
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 11:37:
Nuke and pave!
Thatís probably gonna be the only thing that fixes it.
An article a few years back by a Microsoft engineer said it best.
He was home for the holidays and his mumís computer was on the blink. His buddies did what buddie do and said ďWell, youíre the guru...Fix it,!!!Ē
He spent the long holiday slaving away on the box and eventually was able to fix it.
Nuking takes Hours, not days.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 11:37  Burrito of Peace 

Nuke and pave!  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >