Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

Epic Games announces that sales on the Epic Games Store have now topped $680 million in total, and over a quarter of a billion dollars of that were spent on third-party PC games. They also say they have now given away 73 free games worth a total of $1,455, and that gamers have claimed over 200 million free games. Finally, they also announce they plan to continue to give away one free game per week throughout the remainder of 2020. Here's word:
Happy New Year!

New decade means new games and we’re looking at a great start with tons of amazing titles coming exclusively to the Epic Games Store in 2020. To kick things off, we’re extending our weekly free game program throughout 2020. Every single week, come back to claim your game. Once claimed, it’s yours to keep forever.

Now, let’s take a look at how far the Epic Games Store has come…

[Infographic]

Thank you to the amazing players and developers for being part of the Epic Games Store community!

In 2020 we’ll continue to lead the way in open and developer-friendly store terms, with 88% revenue sharing, support for developer and publisher payment systems, and keyless purchasing integration with Humble (more PC stores coming soon). On top of that, we’re offering integration with Epic’s platform-independent and store-independent online services with more than 300,000,000 customer accounts and 1,700,000,000 friend connections.

Epic is also helping developers support cross-platform play using the tools we built for Fortnite, with online play across PC, Mac, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch, iOS, and Android. Dauntless from Phoenix Labs is the first third-party game with Epic-powered support for PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and Switch. Many more cross-platform games are coming to the Epic Games Store in 2020.
View : : :
131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year
Jan 15, 2020, 23:53
Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 23:53
Jan 15, 2020, 23:53

Bhruic wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 15:14:
Who cares if it's a weak/invalid comparison? Even if it were entirely apt, is there anyone who's actually happy about the fact that more and more online streaming services are popping up? The reason that people liked Netflix so much is that it centralized all of their watching in a single location. The only reason that I would give up the convenience of centralization is if it became too costly, but since the alternatives are all similarly priced, that's not an issue.

I'm not a fan of exclusivity but I can tolerate it if the content otherwise wouldn't exist. First-party exclusives are entirely funded by the platform owner. The platform owner is creating content to increase the value of their platform. As such, I can't get too angry about that content being exclusive to said platform.

Timed third-party exclusives, on the other hand, are pure shitbaggery. Their sole purpose is to reduce the value of competing platforms by depriving them of content. It's about as anti-competitive and anti-consumer as it gets.

People keep claiming that Steam is a monopoly but they don't seem to understand that being a monopoly requires you to perform monopolistic practices. Those practices include paying companies to remove their products from competitors, giving away products for free so consumers don't buy them from competitors and offering steep discounts that competitors can't match because they can't afford to lose that much revenue. Basically, everything Epic is doing would be considered monopolistic if they were the market leader.

Jan 15, 2020, 16:16
Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 16:16
Jan 15, 2020, 16:16

Bhruic wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 16:00:
Of course it's not the point Tim was making. It's the point I am making. It doesn't matter who is making the exclusives, I don't want there to be any exclusives. As a consumer, I benefit from having all the products I want on a single platform. Unless I'm getting more benefits from having them separated - which I'm not - I don't want them to be. Even if Epic were only putting Epic exclusives on EGS, I'd still be annoyed about it (well, assuming there were Epic games I wanted to buy).

It may annoy you but if the company developed it and they have a means to sell it directly to the customers, they have every right to exclusivity. It's their product. They incur all the risk of making it exclusive along with the development cost.

Otherwise when I buy something on the Epic store, why aren't I able to choose to send the revenue to Valve instead? Oh, just because Epic made the store front? Psh.

Jan 15, 2020, 16:00
Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 16:00
Jan 15, 2020, 16:00

Kxmode wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 15:31:
That's not the point Tim was making. He was explicitly comparing exclusives on his platform with exclusives that appear on streaming services, while completely ignoring the fact that they spent millions producing them. Epic didn't spend millions producing the exclusives on their platform, they only spent millions to keep them away from Steam.

Of course it's not the point Tim was making. It's the point I am making. It doesn't matter who is making the exclusives, I don't want there to be any exclusives. As a consumer, I benefit from having all the products I want on a single platform. Unless I'm getting more benefits from having them separated - which I'm not - I don't want them to be. Even if Epic were only putting Epic exclusives on EGS, I'd still be annoyed about it (well, assuming there were Epic games I wanted to buy).

Jan 15, 2020, 15:37
Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 15:37
Jan 15, 2020, 15:37

Kxmode wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 15:31:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 14:25:
Tim is quoted:
"Exclusive products are the primary way for companies entering new markets to gain new momentum against entrenched competitors. [You can] compare [our approach] to the successful launch of Disney+ last year, going head to head with Netflix, Amazon, and others." source
That's a weak and invalid comparison. Netflix, Amazon, and Disney Plus produce their exclusives (e.g. first-party). Epic doesn't create the exclusives that appear on their store. A better comparison would be comparing Fortnite on EGS with CS:GO on Steam, Anthem on Origin, and Diablo 3 on Battle.net.

Who cares if it's a weak/invalid comparison? Even if it were entirely apt, is there anyone who's actually happy about the fact that more and more online streaming services are popping up? The reason that people liked Netflix so much is that it centralized all of their watching in a single location. The only reason that I would give up the convenience of centralization is if it became too costly, but since the alternatives are all similarly priced, that's not an issue.

That's not the point Tim was making. He was explicitly comparing exclusives on his platform with exclusives that appear on streaming services, while completely ignoring the fact that they spent millions producing them. Epic didn't spend millions producing the exclusives on their platform, they only spent millions to keep them away from Steam.
People act like he kept games away from consumers, but that’s the furthest from the truth.
I got a shit ton of games from him, didn’t cost me a dime either.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Jan 15, 2020, 15:31
Kxmode

Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 15:31
Jan 15, 2020, 15:31
 Kxmode

Tim is quoted:
"Exclusive products are the primary way for companies entering new markets to gain new momentum against entrenched competitors. [You can] compare [our approach] to the successful launch of Disney+ last year, going head to head with Netflix, Amazon, and others." source
That's a weak and invalid comparison. Netflix, Amazon, and Disney Plus produce their exclusives (e.g. first-party). Epic doesn't create the exclusives that appear on their store. A better comparison would be comparing Fortnite on EGS with CS:GO on Steam, Anthem on Origin, and Diablo 3 on Battle.net.

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 15, 2020, 15:29
Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 15:29
Jan 15, 2020, 15:29

Correct. The whole argument of 'Well Valve doesn't sell Half-Life on other stores, so they're doing the same thing.' is a weak straw grasp.

A first-party game is developed using the same company resources as what could go towards the store itself. The store and the game are part of the same arm. What's different between 4 years spent developing a game by Epic, then selling it exclusively vs spending 4 years developing a tool for the Epic store? One wouldn't expect that tool to be made available for other store fronts, right? It's just one's service is to entertain, the other is utility.

Plus a first-party game reflects directly on the company. The risk of whether it bombs or not is entirely in the same hands as the store's developer. That's very different from being able to go out and just scoop up all the major block busters willing to side with you. Then even if a specific game fails in some way there's no loss of man-hours, company perception, etc..

It's a difference of leeching from vs contributing towards.

Jan 15, 2020, 15:14
Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 15:14
Jan 15, 2020, 15:14

Tim is quoted:

Jan 15, 2020, 14:52
Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 14:52
Jan 15, 2020, 14:52

Tim is quoted:
O.K.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Jan 15, 2020, 14:25
Kxmode

Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 14:25
Jan 15, 2020, 14:25
 Kxmode

Tim is quoted:
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 15, 2020, 13:29
Kxmode

Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 13:29
Jan 15, 2020, 13:29
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 08:52:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 23:58:
I've only ever posted comments based on my estimations and my common-sense conclusions. They are MY points of view, and I shouldn't need to put a disclaimer after each one stating such. You're intelligent enough that you should understand that.

It's just that you take data and add your own spin to it, or misinterpretation of it, to come up with what you think are definite conclusions. "Epic Games is failing" isn't stated as an opinion, it's stated as a fact. And, again, you tend to base this upon either your own emotions, such as "they thought they'd take over the entire market in a single year!" or faulty interpretation of data, such as "them ranking lower means they're selling much less!"

Please see my quote above. The point is crystal clear.

Jan 15, 2020, 13:20
Kxmode

Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 13:20
Jan 15, 2020, 13:20
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 08:48:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 00:31:
[rest snipped]
His points seem pretty reasonable to me. Epic has spent millions trying to increase their market share. They've given away 73 games and will continue to do so through 2020. They've spent millions on timed exclusives (or "co-exclusives" that only exclude Steam) and will continue to do so through 2020. They paid for $23 million worth of discounts. Remember the last sale that offered $10 off any purchase $15 or more? When you factor in the 12% cut (8% for games that use UE), they actually lost money on every sale. This will likely continue through 2020.

Given those facts, I would be very surprised if EGS made any profits from third-party games last year. If they were content with just a tiny piece of the market, they wouldn't be taking these losses. See Origin, Uplay, GOG, etc. Those are platforms that are okay with having a smaller market share. Epic obviously isn't.

EDIT: Huh, the numbers are actually way worse than I initially thought. I was thinking that the $251 million figure was Epic's cut but that was actually the entirety of the third-party game revenue. 12% of $251 million is only $30 million. They spent $23 million on discounts alone and the giveaways + exclusivity deals definitely cost more than $7 million so EGS was pure loss in 2019. There is zero chance of them doing that if they weren't aiming to be the market leader.

If anyone thought that you could overtake Steam in a year, which kxmode seems to think would happen, then other companies would have done so.

Remember my comment about psychological projection? You're doing it again. I never, ever once mentioned or hinting at a time frame. That's what you were thinking and you projected that to me as if that was my thought. How many times do I need to tell you to stop doing stuff like that?

Re: Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year
Jan 15, 2020, 11:37
Re: Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 11:37
Jan 15, 2020, 11:37

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 08:52:
It's not that it doesn't align with my thinking. I don't use EGS. I enjoy that Steam is getting a kick in the butt to do more, though if this is what we have to blame the new UI on, ugh.

The notion that all of the changes to Steam in 2019 were a result of EGS is absurd. The UI overhaul had been in the works for years. Same goes for every other change. Steam is and has been constantly iterating and improving ever since it launched. Most changes are relatively small and nuanced, others are big and obvious. None have anything to do with EGS.

This is a decent update history of Steam, though it doesn't cover everything and hasn't been updated in a couple of years. The Steam blog is really the best way to learn about updates.

removed
Jan 15, 2020, 10:56
Slick

removed Jan 15, 2020, 10:56
Jan 15, 2020, 10:56
 Slick

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 15, 2020, 15:05.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Jan 15, 2020, 08:52
Dev

Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 08:52
 Dev

Also the low cut Epic is taking means there's very little room to do anything like giveaways and still make money. To make the kinda profit Steam generates, they'd actually have to have triple or so the overall revenue that steam does! Even if Epic magically takes over the majority of the market, are they going to eventually raise rates? Or stay the same, satisfied that they shrunk the entire profit base of the sector by such a huge amount?

Re: Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year
Beamer

Re: Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 08:52
 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 23:58:
Beamer wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 22:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 20:45:
[rest snipped]

Do you work for them? How would you know this?

As with all of this, he's talking out of his inexperienced ass because it makes him feel more right in his hatred. He says I'm projecting, but I've never seen a man so blinded by emotion.

He's walking confirmation bias.

I've only ever posted comments based on my estimations and my common-sense conclusions. They are MY points of view, and I shouldn't need to put a disclaimer after each one stating such. You're intelligent enough that you should understand that. Further, you keep using words like "hatred," "confirmation bias," and "inexperienced ass" because my posts do not align with your thinking. That's a surefire way to invalid whatever points or counterpoints you're trying to make. In other words, if you disagree with someone, you don't say, "you're a liar."

The point about projection is psychologically sound. Go read up on it. You're doing it, whether you realize it or not. Here's a nice video explaining it. But if you cannot be bothered to watch it, a quick example goes, "a person who is habitually rude may accuse other people of being rude."

Finally, as long as you keep posting BS about me directly and not the contents of my posts (and by that, I don't mean translating my words into the aforementioned "hater" or "confirmation bias"), I'll keep replying to correct you. In other words, stop attacking me directly. There is a forum rule about doing that kind of stuff. I shouldn't need to remind you, again, because you're smart enough to know.

It's not that it doesn't align with my thinking. I don't use EGS. I enjoy that Steam is getting a kick in the butt to do more, though if this is what we have to blame the new UI on, ugh.

It's just that you take data and add your own spin to it, or misinterpretation of it, to come up with what you think are definite conclusions. "Epic Games is failing" isn't stated as an opinion, it's stated as a fact. And, again, you tend to base this upon either your own emotions, such as "they thought they'd take over the entire market in a single year!" or faulty interpretation of data, such as "them ranking lower means they're selling much less!"

Jan 15, 2020, 08:48
Beamer

Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 08:48
Jan 15, 2020, 08:48
 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 00:31:
Beamer wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 22:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 20:45:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 20:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 18:59:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 18:25:
Epic is never going to defeat the established platforms.
That was never their plan.
All they want is a tiny piece of the pie and by the looks of it they’ve been very successful.

If that was the case, Epic could have jumped into selling PC games any time after Steam reached its dominant position in the late 2000s. Before Epic had Fortnite, they were bringing in over a billion from Unreal engine fees, not to mention whatever they made from game sales. But that's not what Tim Sweeney wants. He wouldn't try and disrupt Steam's position for a measly 2nd place. No, they're going for broke to try and overtake Valve.
Do you work for them? How would you know this?

As with all of this, he's talking out of his inexperienced ass because it makes him feel more right in his hatred. He says I'm projecting, but I've never seen a man so blinded by emotion.

He's walking confirmation bias.

His points seem pretty reasonable to me. Epic has spent millions trying to increase their market share. They've given away 73 games and will continue to do so through 2020. They've spent millions on timed exclusives (or "co-exclusives" that only exclude Steam) and will continue to do so through 2020. They paid for $23 million worth of discounts. Remember the last sale that offered $10 off any purchase $15 or more? When you factor in the 12% cut (8% for games that use UE), they actually lost money on every sale. This will likely continue through 2020.

Given those facts, I would be very surprised if EGS made any profits from third-party games last year. If they were content with just a tiny piece of the market, they wouldn't be taking these losses. See Origin, Uplay, GOG, etc. Those are platforms that are okay with having a smaller market share. Epic obviously isn't.

EDIT: Huh, the numbers are actually way worse than I initially thought. I was thinking that the $251 million figure was Epic's cut but that was actually the entirety of the third-party game revenue. 12% of $251 million is only $30 million. They spent $23 million on discounts alone and the giveaways + exclusivity deals definitely cost more than $7 million so EGS was pure loss in 2019. There is zero chance of them doing that if they weren't aiming to be the market leader.

There's a reason no one else has made a big splash in this area - it's hard, and requires a huge upfront investment. It takes time.

If anyone thought that you could overtake Steam in a year, which kxmode seems to think would happen, then other companies would have done so. But thinking you can take Steam out in a year is as stupid as thinking you can take Amazon out in a year. It's not a possibility.

Again, I'm not saying these numbers are good, I'm saying that Epic knew it wouldn't be overtaking Steam in a year. They knew it was an uphill battle. Were it not, we wouldn't be getting freebies. We wouldn't still be getting freebies.

Jan 15, 2020, 08:45
Verno

Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 08:45
Jan 15, 2020, 08:45
 Verno

Rain wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 07:50:
Maybe it will light a fire under Steam to improve upon their service, I'm all for some friendly competition for my $$$.

Steam has a billion features and a rich API. It's constantly improving on every front. I spent some time recently with friends playing World War Z which we got on sale for $5 on the Epic store and its reminded me just how important that sort of stuff is. It's been a miserable experience. The multiplayer functionality for the Epic client basically doesn't exist. You're left with console style parties hastily slopped together by the devs, no client game join functionality and the whole experience feels like going backward 10 years in time. There is more to gaming than just buying a game, we've come a long way pretty much on the back of Steam.

If anything Epic is the client that needs serious improvement and "some friendly competition". Free games are great but they really need to work on the client to retain people. Based on the few multiplayer games we've played bought on the Epic store, we'll be sticking with Steam in the future.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Jan 15, 2020, 08:40
Dev

Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 08:40
Jan 15, 2020, 08:40
 Dev

I appreciate all the math people are doing in this thread. It's funny how much info can be discovered out of what epic is NOT saying on that graphic just by doing some math.

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 14:55:
What EGS is doing is being a threat to Steam. And lo and behold, Steam is suddenly coming out with new features: new profit-sharing structures, a new UI, remote couch co-op modes. Competition is good. Look at how long Intel sat on their asses until AMD lit a fire under them.
That's a good point. Steam wasn't doing much for years until recently.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2020, 08:51.

Jan 15, 2020, 07:50
Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 07:50
Jan 15, 2020, 07:50

Maybe it will light a fire under Steam to improve upon their service, I'm all for some friendly competition for my $$$.
"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

Jan 15, 2020, 06:35
Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 06:35
Jan 15, 2020, 06:35

So far I am 15 games the richer, and have not spent a dime.

Did that hurt Steam, nope, I still bought close to the same number of games from them in the same period.

So far Subnautica was the only Epic exclusive I lusted after and they gave that away.

I would really like to know what the burn rate is to keeping the Epic store open and offering freebies like they do, and wonder how much longer they can keep it up as they don't appear to be making any real dent in the market.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.
131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older