Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I've recently started to experience a nagging pain just above the wrist along the ulna of my right arm. This is my mouse-hand, and since I work and play on the computer so much the obvious concern is some sort of repetitive stress injury. I've known a couple of sufferers, including former id Software programmer John Cash, and through their experiences I can appreciate just how serious RSIs can be. But this has only just started for me, so I've only consulted with Dr. Google thus far. The good news is this doesn't sound like Carpal tunnel syndrome or ulnar tunnel syndrome, at least as far as I can tell. I have suffered on occasion from cubital tunnel syndrome, which went away when I stopped leaning on my elbow when reclining, but this doesn't seem the same as that either. Before we moved I had some arm pain from working in a makeshift environment, and this seems similar to that, so I have adjusted the armrests on my chair to make my forearm more level, and this seems to provide some immediate relief, so I'm hopeful this will take care of it. No one wants an RSI, so I will monitor this and will not put off seeing a doctor if it persists, as from what I read, early diagnosis and treatment is important in such cases.

Painful Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Links: Joker’s Oscar nominations are a joke: This movie is stupid. Thanks RedEye9.
Star Trek TV Universe Set to Expand With Two More Live-Action Series on Deck, Says Alex Kurtzman.
Stories: Alaska rescue: Man found weeks after remote cabin burned down. Thanks RedEye9.
Missouri farmer ran one of biggest frauds in US farm history. Thanks Digg.
Tampa woman faces charges for allegedly making bomb in Walmart. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Scientists use stem cells from frogs to build first living robots. Thanks Max.
How Much Sleep Do You Really Need? Thanks Max.
The 100-Year-Search for a Missing Impact Crater Is Over. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: The importance of looting in Red Dead Redemption 2.
New Black Widow trailer introduces a new enemy, Taskmaster.
Neighbor Calls Police After Hearing A Woman Crying For Help.
Auctions: Australian developers organising global fundraising auction for fire services.
Follow-up: Anti-vaxxers celebrate victory in NJ as pro-vaccine bill falls apart.
View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2020, 01:52 jdreyer

bigspender wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 01:08:
Scientists use stem cells from frogs to build first living robots.

....and we all know how that worked out in Jurassic Park :-)

"Life...uh, life finds a way"

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2020, 01:08 bigspender

Scientists use stem cells from frogs to build first living robots.

....and we all know how that worked out in Jurassic Park :-)

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 21:50 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 16:08:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 15:19:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 14:24:
Armengar wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 14:11:
Thats me fucked. Ive slept an average of 4 to 6 hours a night for the last 30 odd years now.
Didn't read the article?

"Remarkably, there were absolutely no differences in cognition or any of the brain parameters between the different sleep duration groups. Thus, sleeping six or even five hours each night was not associated with impaired cognition or any negative effects on the brain."

Not sleeping 8 hours per night is highly correlated to early onset Alzheimer disease. It's also the equivalent of being intoxicated. So it's definitely not a healthy habit.

Oh hells yeah. I may be able to pull off 4-6 hours sleep for one day but any more than that and I'm just walking around going 'Duh.' I'm a mess without my 8-10 hours of sleep. I've loved sleeping in since I was a kid.

The technical term is Sleep Debt. When the Brain comes collecting, it gets paid with interest.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 17:59 RedEye9

Video of not one but two missiles fired at the 737 is crappy enough to be believable.
Edit
Oops Person who filmed video arrested

-+-+
Everyone is different and requires different amounts of sleep. one of my favorite VEEP scenes.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2020, 19:43.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 16:08 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 15:19:
Thats me fucked. Ive slept an average of 4 to 6 hours a night for the last 30 odd years now.
Didn't read the article?

"Remarkably, there were absolutely no differences in cognition or any of the brain parameters between the different sleep duration groups. Thus, sleeping six or even five hours each night was not associated with impaired cognition or any negative effects on the brain."

Not sleeping 8 hours per night is highly correlated to early onset Alzheimer disease. It's also the equivalent of being intoxicated. So it's definitely not a healthy habit.

Oh hells yeah. I may be able to pull off 4-6 hours sleep for one day but any more than that and I'm just walking around going 'Duh.' I'm a mess without my 8-10 hours of sleep. I've loved sleeping in since I was a kid.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 15:56 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 15:22:
theglaze wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 14:25:
Follow-up: Anti-vaxxers celebrate victory in NJ as pro-vaccine bill falls apart.

Just a couple months ago, my cousin's child (4 year old) became ill, and it dramatically accelerated. In less than the week, the whole family was transferred to an urban hospital, where they were quarantined for days with the sick child, because no one knew what they were dealing with. He survived the nearly fatal, and rare flu with complications, but the hope is that his youth will conquer any long-term effects.

He was vaccinated, maybe a week or two, just before showing symptoms.

No one in my family is up in arms, or suddenly supporting anti-vax... but having seen the emotional toll, and the easy connection of "cause and effect", I can understand the perspective of those that have suffered or lost children in such circumstances.

Did the doctors do a culture and compare it to the vaccine?

There are a couple samples that have been sent internationally for further analysis; I believe the results are expected in 3-6 months (now 1-4). I'm not sure how related to the vaccination the tests are.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 15:22 jdreyer

theglaze wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 14:25:

Just a couple months ago, my cousin's child (4 year old) became ill, and it dramatically accelerated. In less than the week, the whole family was transferred to an urban hospital, where they were quarantined for days with the sick child, because no one knew what they were dealing with. He survived the nearly fatal, and rare flu with complications, but the hope is that his youth will conquer any long-term effects.

No one in my family is up in arms, or suddenly supporting anti-vax... but having seen the emotional toll, and the easy connection of "cause and effect", I can understand the perspective of those that have suffered or lost children in such circumstances.

Did the doctors do a culture and compare it to the vaccine?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 15:21 Mr. Tact

Don't tell me JD, tell the guys (Zitser et al.) doing the study.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 15:19 jdreyer

Didn't read the article?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 14:25 theglaze

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 14:24 Mr. Tact

Didn't read the article?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 14:11 Armengar

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 13:52 Cutter

Slate SJW hates The Joker? Shocker. Rolleyes

QFT....

Was it last year that Slate was all about Black Panther winning best picture? A well made but ultimately completely by the numbers superhero action movie. Yet Joker, which actually pushes the genre and does it well, is a "dumb movie." And we all know why these progressive media outlets don't like it, because it's about a white guy struggling in society and then taking his revenge. If the Joker had just checked his privilege then Slate would be all over it.

Why are people so shocked about a farmer being a sociopathic conman? They exist in every walk of life. The only thing that article really illustrates is how inept the government is that the guy got away with his con for a decade and for that much money.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 13:28 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 13:16:
Woman crying for help was great. A friend had an African Grey that mimicked the lo’battery smoke detector chirp. Talk about maddening.
Haha -- I got a bigger laugh out of your comment!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 13:16 RedEye9

Woman crying for help was great. A friend had an African Grey that mimicked the lo’battery smoke detector chirp. Talk about maddening.  

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 13:04 Ahumado

It will only increase and you will have to get used to all the aches and pains that come with age  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 12:43 Burrito of Peace

I watched "Joker" over the weekend for the first time and I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. I actually found it to be quite enjoyable.

The Lighthouse is in my queue to watch as I really like slow burn horror movies.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

5. Re: Star Trek TV Universe Set to Expand With Two More Live-Action Series on Deck, Says Alex Kur Jan 14, 2020, 12:17 Mr. Tact

Simon Says wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 12:06:
Intro starting: ( ... )
"To greedily milk and saturate the way capitalism has done a umpteenth times before" *rubs hands and smiles like a Ferengi* *woosh*
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 20:14:
Yep. I'd like to watch both, but I'll be damned if I give more money to CBS to do it. They already get money from me via my Dish TV account.

4. Re: Taskmaster Jan 14, 2020, 12:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

Taskmaster, new to the Marvel cinema scene, sure. Established cool character for decades in the comics though.

Hopefully he isn't killed off/wasted utterly in this film; also his power set presents a serious problem for the movie version of Black Widow, not the best choice.

/end nerd rant.

3. Star Trek TV Universe Set to Expand With Two More Live-Action Series on Deck, Says Alex Kurtzma Jan 14, 2020, 12:06 Simon Says

Intro starting: ( ... )
"To greedily milk and saturate the way capitalism has done a umpteenth times before" *rubs hands and smiles like a Ferengi* *woosh*

Gene spinning in his grave must be generating enough power for the warp drive of the original Enterprise right now.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >