Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 10:53 Beamer

Blue wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 10:38:
Nimh wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 07:41:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 22:04:
Of course they are. Even the cookie pop-up on this site opts you in to tracking by default.

Speaking of which.. last week someone here mentioned something about a Commodore 64 in a comment. My proceeding visit to Youtube had a next up video on the Commodore 64. Seems like they're scraping comments now, or at least it's the first time I've run into it here.

Anyone else notice this?

I do not think there is any reason to think this is anything but a coincidence. There are a lot of trackers on the internet that will try and market to you based on links you click. But suggesting a video based on words in a comment you read makes no sense.

As the old saying goes, correlation does not equal causation.

Yup, it's a bit too far away. Had it been a search for the word, or typing the word yourself, yes. But when it's something you're tangentially around, it's usually coincidence. No one would want to pay to serve you something that there's no good reason to think you want. Untargeted stuff, sure, but this is kind of hypertargeted, which costs a lot of money, at someone that you have no reason to think would be interested.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 10:47 Nimh

Blue wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 10:38:

I do not think there is any reason to think this is anything but a coincidence. There are a lot of trackers on the internet that will try and market to you based on links you click. But suggesting a video based on words in a comment you read makes no sense.

Indeed it was an odd correlation. I'll leave things as is and see how it goes.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 10:38  Blue 

Of course they are. Even the cookie pop-up on this site opts you in to tracking by default.

Speaking of which.. last week someone here mentioned something about a Commodore 64 in a comment. My proceeding visit to Youtube had a next up video on the Commodore 64. Seems like they're scraping comments now, or at least it's the first time I've run into it here.

Anyone else notice this?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. Re: Cookie consent tools are undermining GDPR. Jan 14, 2020, 10:31 RedEye9

Nimh wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 10:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 10:20:
Nimh wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 10:11:
Fair enough.. will add Bluesnews to a container and isolate it. Thanks for the info.
You realize I am some random talking shit on the internet. Do you containerize and isolate the entire internet? Because Bluesnews is no different than https://www.spiegel.de/ , amazon.com or the bing.

Your name is all over this site, so I assume you know more about this than some random poster here.
Incorrect assumption. Quantity does not equate quality.
Have you seen how many removed comments I have.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

8. Re: Cookie consent tools are undermining GDPR. Jan 14, 2020, 10:28 Nimh

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 10:20:
Fair enough.. will add Bluesnews to a container and isolate it. Thanks for the info.
You realize I am some random talking shit on the internet. Do you containerize and isolate the entire internet? Because Bluesnews is no different than https://www.spiegel.de/ , amazon.com or the bing.

Your name is all over this site, so I assume you know more about this than some random poster here. Bluesnews has typically not been as aggressive with advertising as other sites, but things change, no big deal.

And yes, since they've been available I've used containers to limit tracking, among other things. I did recently do a fresh browser install, so I'll double check settings as well. Maybe this sort of stuff is common, words in comments leading to Youtube recommendations, but it's the first time I've seen it personally.

7. Re: Cookie consent tools are undermining GDPR. Jan 14, 2020, 10:20 RedEye9

Do you containerize and isolate the entire internet?

You realize I am some rando talking concentrated hyperbolized horse shit on the internet.

Bluesnews is no different than other sites including arstechnica, spiegel.de , yandex , bbc , amazon.com , tomshardware , yahoo mail , Reuters or bing.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

6. Re: Cookie consent tools are undermining GDPR. Jan 14, 2020, 10:11 Nimh

5. Re: Cookie consent tools are undermining GDPR. Jan 14, 2020, 10:08 RedEye9

Anyone else notice this?
The question is why wouldn't they scrape them. any and everything you do online is tracked logged, catalogued, monitized, sold and resold.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

4. Re: Donít trust the US govít, states tell court in T-Mobile-Sprint merger case. Jan 14, 2020, 09:51 Mr. Tact

I can't say if the merger is good or bad overall for consumers, but I can say I don't trust either side much. I'm more concerned about how many of my tax dollars will be used to support 5G which as far as I can tell is very close to being a complete waste of time and effort.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Cookie consent tools are undermining GDPR Jan 14, 2020, 08:55 Simon Says

No shit you have to click a thousand hundred times ( exagerating ofc ) to opt-out of all the shit.

Either have opt-out as default and just click "save", 1 click, or a "refuse all" button that also saves the thing and closes the annoying pop-up.

But nooo, you are opted in by default and need to click everywhere to turn them all off -_-

2. Re: Cookie consent tools are undermining GDPR. Jan 14, 2020, 07:41 Nimh

Anyone else notice this?

1. Re: Cookie consent tools are undermining GDPR. Jan 13, 2020, 22:04 jacobvandy

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >