Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2020, 23:34  RedEye9 

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 23:22:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 14:22:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 22:23:
...I'd sooner go back to Ubuntu and never be able to play any real games...

As the kids say these days..."LOL".

I play all of my games on Linux. Steam with Proton+DXVK makes it a no brainer. For non Steam games, I use PlayonLinux (which is really just a simple frontend for WINE while using WINE 5 beta) and plug Proton in to it as needed.

Haven't found anything I can't run at an acceptable framerate so far.

That's fine if you're at 1080p.
The overwhelming majority of gamers play at that resolution or lower.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2020, 23:22 ForgedReality

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 14:22:

I play all of my games on Linux. Steam with Proton+DXVK makes it a no brainer. For non Steam games, I use PlayonLinux (which is really just a simple frontend for WINE while using WINE 5 beta) and plug Proton in to it as needed.

That's fine if you're at 1080p.

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 17:24  RedEye9 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 17:00:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 15:29:
Wish you were a good IRL friend who lived nearby BoP. I'd give it a try. By the way, what your status on moving north?

For personal medical reasons, our move has been delayed. We're hoping to move in Fall.

I'm on Discord, Wire, Telegram, email, Google chat...whenever you want to take the plunge, I'd be happy to help.

And no, RedEye, we're not going to dual boot. If anything, I'd set him up with a VM and GPU passthrough so Mr. Tact wouldn't have to wait. I'm service oriented like that.
awesome, bookmarked!

Vaccines Cause Immunity

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 17:00  Burrito of Peace 

Wish you were a good IRL friend who lived nearby BoP. I'd give it a try. By the way, what your status on moving north?

For personal medical reasons, our move has been delayed. We're hoping to move in Fall.

I'm on Discord, Wire, Telegram, email, Google chat...whenever you want to take the plunge, I'd be happy to help.

And no, RedEye, we're not going to dual boot. If anything, I'd set him up with a VM and GPU passthrough so Mr. Tact wouldn't have to wait. I'm service oriented like that.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 16:10  RedEye9 

Translation
Would you come over next Saturday, install a Linux dual boot and show me how it’s done, and trust me...your gonna be on my speed dial. Deal

Vaccines Cause Immunity

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 15:29  Mr. Tact 

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 14:22  Burrito of Peace 

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 13:10  Mr. Tact 

Personally, I refuse to downgrade to Windows 10. It's a piece of fucking garbage itself. I'd sooner go back to Ubuntu and never be able to play any real games than infect my machine with buggy-af Windows As a Service Malware Windows 10. >:/
So you are bad mouthing WIn10 and Linux? Or is there another flavor of Linux you do like? As I've said previously, I don't "want" to use Win10, but I'm probably going to have to with Win7 going out of service. Between being lazy and needing it to be a game capable box, I see Win10 as the best bad choice.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 11:01  RedEye9 

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 21:16:
people are coming into our shop asking about Windows 10. ... at a cost (OS + installation)
I'm still upgrading people at Zero OS cost. Did a Lenovo laptop yesterday. Just stuck in the windows 10 installer and the the system came up Activated.

Armengar wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 09:36:
W10 works well on 4gb ram core 2 duos as long as you have a cheap ssd. We run about 30 at work. Obviously office PCs.
That same box on a hard drive would be a turd - especially if they were to open more than 7 word docs, 10 pdfs and 20 browser tabs. (actual customer of mine, once the system had an ssd it became "usable" again.)

Vaccines Cause Immunity

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 10:06 jacobvandy

A LOT of people are coming into our shop asking about Windows 10. Lots of these people want to upgrade their insanely weak computers to it, at a cost (OS + installation) that’d BUY them a technically better machine with win10 on it.
I don’t understand their logic, aside from “why replace something that works?”.

It’s a weird job. People who willfully use garbage hardware come in for advice that they’ll then blatantly ignore because it’s not what they wanted to hear. Why did you come waste my time to begin with? Are you lonely?

Maybe they are lonely. Are you lone-shaming?

Personally, I refuse to downgrade to Windows 10. It's a piece of fucking garbage itself. I'd sooner go back to Ubuntu and never be able to play any real games than infect my machine with buggy-af Windows As a Service Malware Windows 10. >:/

Fight the powah!

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 09:36 Armengar

W10 works well on 4gb ram core 2 duos as long as you have a cheap ssd. We run about 30 at work. Obviously office PCs.  

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2020, 00:32 BIGtrouble77

A LOT of people are coming into our shop asking about Windows 10. Lots of these people want to upgrade their insanely weak computers to it, at a cost (OS + installation) that’d BUY them a technically better machine with win10 on it.

It’s a weird job. People who willfully use garbage hardware come in for advice that they’ll then blatantly ignore because it’s not what they wanted to hear. Why did you come waste my time to begin with? Are you lonely?
It's Boomer mentality. Everyone's parents who are in their 60's/70's are like this... stuff just isn't disposable to them. To be honest, it's a great mentality to have, it's just not all that practical in today's world.

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 11, 2020, 22:23 ForgedReality

Maybe they are lonely. Are you lone-shaming?

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 11, 2020, 21:16 HoSpanky

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >