Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Looking forward to more NFL playoff football. In today's matchups I find myself in conflict with myself. This is because the Titans have won my heart with their plucky play style, but they are playing the Ravens, who I picked to win the Super Bowl in our pool. I'm not sure if that makes this a no-win scenario or a no-lose scenario, so I guess I'll just root for a good game.

Obituary: Sultan Qaboos of Oman, Arab world's longest-serving ruler, dies aged 79.

Win-Win Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Play: Economical.
Links: William Gibson: ‘I was losing a sense of how weird the real world was.'
Myth Busting 'Blind As A Bat' And 'Memory Of A Goldfish.' Thanks RedEye9.
Cashmere country: the perils of making the world's finest fabric. Thanks RedEye9.
Stories: The FDA Announces Two More Antacid Recalls Due to Cancer Risk.
Science: Cuttlefish 3D glasses study had surprising results.
Americans' Body Temperature Has Been Dropping Since the 19th Century, Study Finds.
Images: Artist Creates Amazing Food Carving That Looks Too Good to Eat.
Media: Comedians paint along with Bob Ross to raise money for charity — The Bob Ross Challenge.
BIRDS OF PREY – Official Trailer 2.
Saskatchewan Farm Trucks.
Auction: Ford Mustang Steve McQueen Drove in ‘Bullitt’ Sells for $3.4 Million at Auction.
Follow-ups: Fired Boeing C.E.O. Muilenburg Will Get More Than $60 Million.
Origin of mystery humming noises heard around the world, uncovered.
View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2020, 17:40 Bard

bigspender wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 16:54:
The FDA Announces Two More Antacid Recalls Due to Cancer Risk

Stop eating animal products and highly processed foods, and you'll never eat antacids again. ForksOverKnives.com

And coincidentally this lowers your cancer risks on top of not needing those antacids.

Aspartame.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2020, 16:37 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 15:25:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 11:47:
Wouldn't that be difficult from a security standpoint alone?
There’s no need to worry about well-to-do folks security.
link from today’s ootb

It's an observation. Not a worry.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 16:54 bigspender

The FDA Announces Two More Antacid Recalls Due to Cancer Risk

Stop eating animal products and highly processed foods, and you'll never eat antacids again. ForksOverKnives.com

And coincidentally this lowers your cancer risks on top of not needing those antacids.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 15:25 RedEye9

Wouldn't that be difficult from a security standpoint alone?
There’s no need to worry about well-to-do folks security.
link from today’s ootb

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 13:17 Mr. Tact

Exactly. There is no such thing as a top notch CEO. It is a fairy tale (with rare exceptions like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and some others like them). Generally CEOs are simply business school grads who have simply spent the requisite amount of time in corporate offices. In all the years I worked in a Fortune 500 company, I never saw a decision made by our CEO which made me think, "Wow, I couldn't have made that call." Ninety-nine percent of the time the calls are obvious. And when they aren't you can always say, "Well, they couldn't have known at the time..." Hence, there is no reason to pay them 10s of millions.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 13:10 Cutter

The rationale is that finding a top notch CEO is one of the hardest things for a major corp so they need the incentives to attract and retain said CEO who's going to do wonders for the company. Yet, most of them do the complete opposite of that. So it appears there's some sort of cognitive disconnect in the upper echelons of management - as if people didn't already know that.

They should make a reality show and just pick Joe Average off the street and let him run a Fortune 1000 company for a year and see how he does. I bet the results would be little different from most professional execs gunning for CEO gigs. At least if they're losing money they'd be doing it for a lot less.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 13:04 Mr. Tact

I don't know much about the Royal family, but I thought it was interesting that one family member and his wife wants to be independent. I didn't know that was possible. Wouldn't that be difficult from a security standpoint alone?
Well, the difficulty is paying for the security when they are foregoing their "royal duties". Apparently they claim only 5% of their money comes from the public funds provided to the royals. However, the other 95% comes from Charles' estate which wasn't exactly generated from independent wealth generation. I can appreciate their wanting to step away -- I've always thought the idea of being famous was something to be avoided. Rich? Sure, I'll take that. Famous? No, thank you. I wish them good luck in finding a resolution which doesn't cause terrible family or political consequences.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 11:47 Kxmode

I don't know much about the Royal family, but I thought it was interesting that one family member and his wife wants to be independent. I didn't know that was possible. Wouldn't that be difficult from a security standpoint alone?  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 11:33 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 10:13:
The CEO market is a competitive one, and to get someone to move from one company to another, or just to choose one over another, takes money. And a golden parachute is supposed to also help a CEO make the decisions that he believes are best for the company instead of just for himself.
Is it? I mean from what I have seen the same guys float from corporation to corporation independent of their performance. I've seen multiple examples of a CEO running a company into the ground only to get another CEO job. NFL players, for the most part, only get guaranteed money after they have proven their ability to perform. Additionally, NFL players risk the very ability to perform the actions they are being paid for every time they play -- which is why they want guaranteed money. CEOs do not take a risk like that. You think Mullenburg will never be a CEO again? I'd take that bet. He is only 55, he'll be back somewhere.

Are CEOs working 80 hours a week like NFL coaches do? I don't think so. I have yet to hear an argument which validates the high salaries corporate executives get. A few million, fine. But when you start talking 10s or 100s of millions, I haven't heard a reasonable rationale on it yet.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 10:19 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 10:13:
I get all this, but the size of them is absurd.
And so is their annual salary.
One things for sure, None of what we think about other people’s income will change anything.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 10:13 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 22:56:
Yeah, Cutter -- I realize it isn't a gift. Assuming you and Warpig are right, it simply changes the question to why do they write that into the contract. It still makes no sense.

Why do NFL players get guaranteed money?

The CEO market is a competitive one, and to get someone to move from one company to another, or just to choose one over another, takes money. And a golden parachute is supposed to also help a CEO make the decisions that he believes are best for the company instead of just for himself.

I get all this, but the size of them is absurd.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 09:59 RedEye9

Future Boeing employee of the month
Ali Abedzadeh, Head of Iran’s Civil Aviation Organization
“The version that the plane was shot down by a rocket cannot be true under any circumstances … it is impossible from the scientific point of view.”

Vaccines Cause Immunity

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 09:16 Ozmodan

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 20:17:
Is there any logic behind corporate golden parachutes? Is it just the good old boy network patting themselves on the back? I mean, you are effectively firing the guy and you give him a $60m parting gift? You were already paying him millions, why give him more after you have figured out the best thing is for you to get rid of him...

No, it is the gutless wonders that populate the corporate boards these days. Sad state of the times.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 08:22 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 23:36:
Just google it. There's plenty of articles on it and they all amount to bullshit reasons. If it's not tied to performance, it's bullshit.
Which was pretty much my point -- it is simply the good old boys network patting themselves on the back...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2020, 05:27 subx

3D glasses on a cuttlefish? Ig Noble prize slam dunk!  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2020, 23:38 Cutter

Grats Titans! Didn't think they'd manage it but they did with authority. So glad Baltimore and the Pats are gone!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2020, 23:36 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 22:56:
Yeah, Cutter -- I realize it isn't a gift. Assuming you and Warpig are right, it simply changes the question to why do they write that into the contract. It still makes no sense.

Just google it. There's plenty of articles on it and they all amount to bullshit reasons. If it's not tied to performance, it's bullshit.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2020, 22:56 Mr. Tact

9. removed Jan 11, 2020, 22:52 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 12, 2020, 13:17.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2020, 22:48 Mr. Tact

That could be WarPig, though it raises the question of why you'd put that kind of clause in an employment contract. "If we fire you for cause, you get $60m" ?? I'm voting for the good old boys club.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >