Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign

A story on the Los Angeles Times outlines an effort by the Communications Workers of America to unionize employees of video game and tech companies. This involves what's called the Campaign to Organize Digital Employees (CODE, get it?). This arises from a grassroots effort from a couple of years ago called Game Workers Unite rather than the pitch last year from the AFL-CIO. The article also reports a separate new formal relationship between the Toronto chapter of Game Workers Unite with the Communications Workers of America. The story details some of the issues facing the game industry, including crunch, production schedule-related layoffs, and forced arbitration of sexual harassment and workplace discrimination claims. Here's a bit more quoting both CWA lead organizer Tom Smith and Game Workers Unite co-founder Emma Kinema:
The new project charts a path away from organizing video game workers along the Hollywood craft union model. SAG-AFTRA has represented video game voice actors for years, and called a strike in 2017 over pay and royalty structures. But CWA largely follows the industrial union model, which organizes entire companies at once rather than splitting workers who perform different jobs into specialized unions.

Smith, for his part, said that CWA could accommodate craft-based organizing if that’s what video game or tech workers want, emphasizing that the workers will ultimately decide how to organize. But Kinema saw the decision to join CWA in starker terms.

“We believe workers are strongest when they’re together in one shop in one union, so the disciplines can’t be pitted against each other—none of that’s good for the workers,” Kinema said. “I think in games and tech the wall-to-wall industrial model is the best fit.”
View : : :

Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer
Jan 12, 2020, 15:38
Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 12, 2020, 15:38
Jan 12, 2020, 15:38

CthulhuFan wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 20:10:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 15:29:
CthulhuFan wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 14:31:
NKD wrote on Jan 9, 2020, 11:12:
Unions aren't viable as a one time thing that pops up and gets you a nice contract that lasts forever. You need an organization that can foot the bill for lawyers and handle all the shit that a gaggle of random employees who aren't experts in labor law can't do. Plus considering that companies love to do shady shit to keep people from forming a union in the first place, it's not something you want to give up once you have it.

A contract with an organization that no longer exists doesn't really have much teeth.
I would argue that is the point of a PAC.

1. A pro-employee PAC gets its funding from unions.
This should be funded by individuals
Individual contributions are even more anemic than union contributions.

2. Even a PAC funded by unions can't compete with the amount of money, access, and lobbying that a corporation can afford to spend, and thanks to cases like Citizens United, there is no upper limit corporations can spend promoting their views and getting their legislation passed.
I'm going to need a source on that shit. I do, however, agree that funding for local elections should be limited to locals/constituents. Outside influence in a local area should not be tolerated.
Here's one source on PAC spending, there are many. Here's a primer on Citizens United, where the Supreme Court decided that money equals free speech.
3. The amount of influence corporations have on legislation is documented here:
Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organised groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence.
Emphasis mine.

Yeah, I don't think we disagree here. You're talking about "Chrony Capitalism". I don't like it either.
Actually, crony capitalism is related, but a bit different. Certainly corporations manipulate the political process to engage in crony capitalism. However, they also manipulate politics more broadly to reduce regulation, reduce worker benefits and salaries and protections, etc. in order to improve their bottom line.

Until corporate money is completely prohibited from the political process, there's truly no way to have a real democracy that operates for the people. Until then, unions are a necessary evil to counter the power of corporations.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.
Date
Subject
Author
Jan 8, 2020Jan 8 2020
Jan 9, 2020Jan 9 2020
Jan 10, 2020Jan 10 2020
Jan 10, 2020Jan 10 2020
Jan 11, 2020Jan 11 2020
Jan 11, 2020Jan 11 2020