Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign

A story on the Los Angeles Times outlines an effort by the Communications Workers of America to unionize employees of video game and tech companies. This involves what's called the Campaign to Organize Digital Employees (CODE, get it?). This arises from a grassroots effort from a couple of years ago called Game Workers Unite rather than the pitch last year from the AFL-CIO. The article also reports a separate new formal relationship between the Toronto chapter of Game Workers Unite with the Communications Workers of America. The story details some of the issues facing the game industry, including crunch, production schedule-related layoffs, and forced arbitration of sexual harassment and workplace discrimination claims. Here's a bit more quoting both CWA lead organizer Tom Smith and Game Workers Unite co-founder Emma Kinema:
The new project charts a path away from organizing video game workers along the Hollywood craft union model. SAG-AFTRA has represented video game voice actors for years, and called a strike in 2017 over pay and royalty structures. But CWA largely follows the industrial union model, which organizes entire companies at once rather than splitting workers who perform different jobs into specialized unions.

Smith, for his part, said that CWA could accommodate craft-based organizing if that’s what video game or tech workers want, emphasizing that the workers will ultimately decide how to organize. But Kinema saw the decision to join CWA in starker terms.

“We believe workers are strongest when they’re together in one shop in one union, so the disciplines can’t be pitted against each other—none of that’s good for the workers,” Kinema said. “I think in games and tech the wall-to-wall industrial model is the best fit.”
View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 15, 2020, 21:37 CthulhuFan

jdreyer wrote on Jan 12, 2020, 15:38:
CthulhuFan wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 20:10:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 15:29:
CthulhuFan wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 14:31:
NKD wrote on Jan 9, 2020, 11:12:
Unions aren't viable as a one time thing that pops up and gets you a nice contract that lasts forever. You need an organization that can foot the bill for lawyers and handle all the shit that a gaggle of random employees who aren't experts in labor law can't do. Plus considering that companies love to do shady shit to keep people from forming a union in the first place, it's not something you want to give up once you have it.

A contract with an organization that no longer exists doesn't really have much teeth.
I would argue that is the point of a PAC.

1. A pro-employee PAC gets its funding from unions.
This should be funded by individuals
Individual contributions are even more anemic than union contributions.

2. Even a PAC funded by unions can't compete with the amount of money, access, and lobbying that a corporation can afford to spend, and thanks to cases like Citizens United, there is no upper limit corporations can spend promoting their views and getting their legislation passed.
I'm going to need a source on that shit. I do, however, agree that funding for local elections should be limited to locals/constituents. Outside influence in a local area should not be tolerated.
Here's one source on PAC spending, there are many. Here's a primer on Citizens United, where the Supreme Court decided that money equals free speech.
3. The amount of influence corporations have on legislation is documented here:
Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organised groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence.
Emphasis mine.

Yeah, I don't think we disagree here. You're talking about "Chrony Capitalism". I don't like it either.
Actually, crony capitalism is related, but a bit different. Certainly corporations manipulate the political process to engage in crony capitalism. However, they also manipulate politics more broadly to reduce regulation, reduce worker benefits and salaries and protections, etc. in order to improve their bottom line.

Until corporate money is completely prohibited from the political process, there's truly no way to have a real democracy that operates for the people. Until then, unions are a necessary evil to counter the power of corporations.
"Corporate" money ... how about eliminating out of district funding for political campaigns. See the current fiasco going on in VA re:2A right now.

I mean, we are right there on the same line of thought with this:
Until corporate money is completely prohibited from the political process, there's truly no way to have a real Republic

I understand that's absurd these days but real, effective politics should be as local as possible and should be shielded somehow from outside interference or manipulation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 12, 2020, 15:38 jdreyer

Unions aren't viable as a one time thing that pops up and gets you a nice contract that lasts forever. You need an organization that can foot the bill for lawyers and handle all the shit that a gaggle of random employees who aren't experts in labor law can't do. Plus considering that companies love to do shady shit to keep people from forming a union in the first place, it's not something you want to give up once you have it.

A contract with an organization that no longer exists doesn't really have much teeth.

Individual contributions are even more anemic than union contributions.

2. Even a PAC funded by unions can't compete with the amount of money, access, and lobbying that a corporation can afford to spend, and thanks to cases like Citizens United, there is no upper limit corporations can spend promoting their views and getting their legislation passed.
I'm going to need a source on that shit. I do, however, agree that funding for local elections should be limited to locals/constituents. Outside influence in a local area should not be tolerated.
Here's one source on PAC spending, there are many. Here's a primer on Citizens United, where the Supreme Court decided that money equals free speech.
Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organised groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence.
Emphasis mine.

Yeah, I don't think we disagree here. You're talking about "Chrony Capitalism". I don't like it either.
Actually, crony capitalism is related, but a bit different. Certainly corporations manipulate the political process to engage in crony capitalism. However, they also manipulate politics more broadly to reduce regulation, reduce worker benefits and salaries and protections, etc. in order to improve their bottom line.

Until corporate money is completely prohibited from the political process, there's truly no way to have a real democracy that operates for the people. Until then, unions are a necessary evil to counter the power of corporations.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

49. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 11, 2020, 22:45 Sepharo

Emphasis mine.

Dead

48. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 11, 2020, 20:10 CthulhuFan

Emphasis mine.

47. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 10, 2020, 15:29 jdreyer

Emphasis mine.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

46. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 10, 2020, 14:31 CthulhuFan

45. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 9, 2020, 11:12 NKD

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

44. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 8, 2020, 14:10 CthulhuFan

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 14:04:
mises
Any organization that opposes child labor laws and is anti-immigrant gets my support. /s
This is neither an argument or a rebuttal.

43. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 8, 2020, 14:06 CthulhuFan

Prez wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 12:52:
As with most everything as complicated as organized labor and the capitalist model the reality is far from either extreme that both sides project. There is a lot of truth to the claims made in the links provided by Cthulufan... but there is a lot of glossing over of inconvenient truths and omissions of facts that would provide a more complete representation of the subject such as why unions were formed in the first place and how historically they greatly improved the working conditions of the American worker. On the flip-side, I have been dealing with unions for most of my adult life, and know first-hand that there is a lot of what unions do that is, at best, counterproductive and, at worst, detrimental to the business its workers are employed by. There is just no denying that unions can be uncooperative, unrealistic, and unwilling to accept basic reality when at contract negotiations. They demand things that harm productivity and fly in the face of reality all the time. I've seen it many times over the course of almost 30 years.

What it comes down to, as has been stated previously, is that unions are a necessary evil in the modern work force. They stand as the only check and balance against unfettered capitalism which, let's face it, has nothing to do with proper treatment of workers. To pose raw capitalism as being at all inherently altruistic is either painfully naive or grossly misinformed. Unregulated capitalism is as brutal as any economic system ever devised.

First, and foremost, thank you for the thoughtful and non inflammatory reply. Civility will get you everywhere.

One thing I want to point out about your response is that it /seems/ like you assume unions are a permanent thing. IMO they should not be; they should spring up to address certain issues and disband when those issues have been addressed. Raw capitalism, as you say, is just freedom of exchange and not a system of government. I'm trying to remain salient and not diverge too much and failing ...

42. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 14:04 RedEye9

CthulhuFan wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 11:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 11:14:
Do you have sources for all this harm?

Sure. But that is completely secondary to the main point of my statement. To quote Ellen Ripley "You two will get what you contracted for. Just like everybody else". Don't like it? Leave.

In practice: https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/04/17/uaw-corruption-ad-center-union-facts/3494620002/

Fundamental theory:
https://mises.org/library/how-labor-unions-hurt-workers
https://mises.org/library/union-myth
Ah yes, the one union did something bad means all unions are bad argument.

as for mises
Any organization that opposes child labor laws and is anti-immigrant gets my support. /s

Glad to see the pro-union comments leading by a landslide.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

41. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 13:48 Steele Johnson

Wow, I'm surprised that some people here think the wage gap between executives and workers is ok. Are you kidding me? Take for example, the CEO of a non-profit hospital vs a surgeon, physician, or nurse. The workers who actually save lives and work 12+hour days have only gotten a 15% to 20% increase over 10 years while the CEO has gotten 100%! That's just an example, but you can imagine how bad it is in the tech industry.

I've been in tech for many years and I always get "exceed expectations" with my performance reviews because I've saved and made the companies I've worked for a lot of money (I'm at architect/principal level), but my salary is practically capped, while the executives get 300% raises, private jets, massive yearly bonuses, a pile of stock options, etc, etc. And you all know the level of incompetence in most execs! Most of them don't even know what's going on within the organization and only look at the bottom line! Workers typically need to fight to keep a company in business by working overtime and making crucial decisions, while the execs are just planning their next vacation. This absolutely has to change! I don't know if unionization is the answer (I doubt it), but the wage gap definitely needs to change. It has been a problem for years!

"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol is a guy nailed to two pieces of wood." - George Carlin

40. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 12:52 Prez

As with most everything as complicated as organized labor and the capitalist model the reality is far from either extreme that both sides project. There is a lot of truth to the claims made in the links provided by Cthulufan... but there is a lot of glossing over of inconvenient truths and omissions of facts that would provide a more complete representation of the subject such as why unions were formed in the first place and how historically they greatly improved the working conditions of the American worker. On the flip-side, I have been dealing with unions for most of my adult life, and know first-hand that there is a lot of what unions do that is, at best, counterproductive and, at worst, detrimental to the business its workers are employed by. There is just no denying that unions can be uncooperative, unrealistic, and unwilling to accept basic reality when at contract negotiations. They demand things that harm productivity and fly in the face of reality all the time. I've seen it many times over the course of almost 30 years.

What it comes down to, as has been stated previously, is that unions are a necessary evil in the modern work force. They stand as the only check and balance against unfettered capitalism which, let's face it, has nothing to do with proper treatment of workers. To pose raw capitalism as being at all inherently altruistic is either painfully naive or grossly misinformed. Unregulated capitalism is as brutal as any economic system ever devised.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2020, 13:04.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

39. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 12:25 Beamer

CthulhuFan wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 11:05:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 12:57:

Here is the self destructive mentality common in non-millionaire people these days, mostly in the US, but other countries also. "Screw Unions, I want to be fired at any time, for any reason, and work 7 days a week, 60 hours a day for no extra pay!"
That seems pretty self entitled. Somebody creates something and decides to hire labor in order to make it bigger and more successful. Laborers contract with the owner for employment as in both parties agree to the terms. Unless it's in your agreement with your employer, you don't deserve anything other than what you contracted for.

Safety and other things are certainly topics/needs properly addressed by grass roots temporary unionization but long standing unions are a scam and harm both employees and employers not to mention entire local community economies.

This is overly simplistic.
First off, very little in America is owned by the people that created it anymore. Exceedingly little. It's almost all owned by institutional shareholders, and run by people brought in for a few years. The entire thing is built on the backs of the people doing the daily grudgery, not the people at the top (and this is coming from someone at the top.)

Second off, there's no balance of power in employment contracts. There is an excess of workers, far more than positions. You can't truly negotiate for more, because the people you're talking to don't have that power. I put in for an open req, have to justify it to my finance team, they come back with a level it's for and a salary for that level, and I find someone that fits that. Do you want more? Sorry. Did you do a great job and want a promotion? Sorry, our shareholders only approved an X% increase in G&A, meaning I can only divvy out a certain number of promotions. Don't like it? Leave. Oh, but you need to pay your rent or mortgage, so you won't do it anytime soon. I, meanwhile, can absorb a loss in one person, or five people, and pretty quickly hire from people annoyed at the lack of power in their current situation elsewhere.

Oh, wait, even though my division crushed it last year, the two much larger ones didn't. Now we have a bonus freeze, promotion freeze, and hiring freeze. That bonus? Dead, sorry. That promotion? We'll get back to it next year. Oh, the two people next to you found new jobs over this? Well, hiring freeze, we can't backfill them, but their work still needs to get done, so have it on my desk by noon, plus keep doing your day job. Oh, and again, even though we killed it, the company is doing layoffs, and I need to pick 3 of you to go.

No company would be where it is without smart, loyal, innovative employees, but somehow we don't glorify the work they're doing, but the guy at the top earning exponentially more than them.

We've weirdly gone from thinking Ebeneezer Scrooge is a villain to thinking he was a smart business man stuck with greedy workers constantly demanding more from him.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 12:23 Dwarf-Snowninja

Except even with a contract there's a great deal of grey area that can allow those hiring contractors to futz with (I'm going with literal general contractors for construction here, but it applies to other fields). Unless you have a legal team on your side, the fine print is going to be lost on you, and guess what... that's something unions provide.
I was part of UFCW years ago, and had several negative experiences with the shop boss and management, mostly that they were protecting someone that drank on the job then ran a forklift, broke freight palettes all the time (forcing us to repack them, something that is NEVER fun), and were generally behind on freight schedule. The union protected this dingus, and this really soured me on unions for years. Enter the teacher's strike and NEA; teachers were getting shit on by everyone, other teachers, admin, and especially parents. Yes, teachers should be answerable and beholden to parents, but when you hear comments like "yeah well, you're just a babysitter with a degree" (not to myself, but directed at a friend at a PTA meeting), it's disgustingly patronizing and ignorant.
NEA helped organize the teachers, protected them from backlash from admin (usually failure to renew contracts for bs reasons), protected provisional teachers, ensured benefits remained untouched, and forced through a COL raise that most districts had been refusing to grant. Yes it still is far from perfect (Arizona, I'm looking at you), but without unions you'd massive turnover from even the most dedicated teachers, creating a revolving door that benefits no one, the students the least of all.

37. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 11:31 CthulhuFan

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 11:14:

Sure. But that is completely secondary to the main point of my statement. To quote Ellen Ripley "You two will get what you contracted for. Just like everybody else". Don't like it? Leave.

In practice: https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/04/17/uaw-corruption-ad-center-union-facts/3494620002/

Fundamental theory:
https://mises.org/library/how-labor-unions-hurt-workers
https://mises.org/library/union-myth

36. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 11:14 RedEye9

CthulhuFan wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 11:05:

Here is the self destructive mentality common in non-millionaire people these days, mostly in the US, but other countries also. "Screw Unions, I want to be fired at any time, for any reason, and work 7 days a week, 60 hours a day for no extra pay!"
That seems pretty self entitled. Somebody creates something and decides to hire labor in order to make it bigger and more successful. Laborers contract with the owner for employment as in both parties agree to the terms. Unless it's in your agreement with your employer, you don't deserve anything other than what you contracted for.

Safety and other things are certainly topics/needs properly addressed by grass roots temporary unionization but long standing unions are a scam and harm both employees and employers not to mention entire local community economies.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

35. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 11:05 CthulhuFan

34. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 08:41 Prez

I was just a kid when the Daily News strike happened in NY during the 70's, but the shit I witnessed at a young, impressionable age gave me a VERY negative view of unions early on. It took me a while to eventually realize that despite the bad things I witnessed as a kid the modern workplace is far better because of unions than it would be without them. And in the gaming industry in particular, one only need to read the accounts written by current and former employees of places like Epic and Bioware to see how badly a union is needed. The Kotaku article by Jason Schreier on the horrible working conditions at Bioware during the development of Anthem is a must read for anyone who thinks developers don't need to unionize.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 05:45 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 03:12:
I've appointed jdreyer to represent my position in this thread.

Same. Less money for money bags, and more for the people actually creating things would also be nice...

32. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 03:46 NKD

I'd like to create a chart of the overlap between people who complain about companies requiring crunch time, and people who say unionizing is a bad idea.  

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >