Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2020, 14:01 Steele Johnson

Here's an interesting article on those stats

https://www.earnest.com/blog/the-demographics-of-video-gaming/

"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol is a guy nailed to two pieces of wood." - George Carlin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2020, 09:13 phinn

Sometimes I imagine an 80 year old version of myself in a retirement home with my friends playing slower paced gaming 'classics' like Magic the Gathering, Warcraft 2 BNE, and Baldur's Gate 2.  

16. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 8, 2020, 07:43  Prez 

I only feel 50 when I'm done gaming for the day. Or when someone embarrasses me in Overwatch.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 8, 2020, 04:32 ventry

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:27:
ventry wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:12:
Bodolza wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 13:08:
If you're 50 now, then you were 7 years old when the Atari 2600 came out, which means you've been around home video games most of your life. It shouldn't be any surprise that there are older gamers.

I'm 57 and I hassled the hell out of my parents for an Atari 2600 so I could play Space Invaders at home.
Unfortunately they couldn't afford it. :-(
Very shortly after that I got my first job, saved up and purchased my Commodore 64 (which I still have).

Does your C64 still work? Are you able to play Impossible Mission and Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

Absolutely my C64 still works.
Played the hell out of Impossible Mission. The digitized speech blew my mind.

The most powerful governments on earth can't stop a virus from spreading
BUT,
They can reduce the Earths temperature if you give them more of your money.

14. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2020, 04:03 Muscular Beaver

Kinda weird reading this.
I am not 50 yet, but when I play games I still feel like Im in my 20s. I doubt that will change, unless my hearing and sight fails and my reaction time goes down the drain.
And I still play them a lot. They are part of what I am and will always be. And nowadays its perfectly fine to admit that. Dumbasses who think games are for kids only are a dying breed.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

13. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 8, 2020, 03:36 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 22:08:
MattyC wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 18:49:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:29:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:13:
If you're 50 now, then you were 7 years old when the Atari 2600 came out, which means you've been around home video games most of your life. It shouldn't be any surprise that there are older gamers.

VR developers, in particular, don't seem to account for the limited mobility of older gamers.

That's why the Wii U Bowling was a huge hit with seniors.

Also Wii Cribbage.

I will have you know that there is no Wii Cribbage, because if there was I would have preordered that so fast...
How about this?

I guess I am of the old school (older school, oldest?), but cribbage is best with 3 players. That said, your link still has potential!

I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

12. Gaming Attitudes and Habits of Adults Ages 50-Plus… Jan 8, 2020, 00:38  Hanover 

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 15:11:
Gaming Attitudes and Habits of Adults Ages 50-Plus…

"Visit Blue's News daily."

Thumbsup

11. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 7, 2020, 22:08  jdreyer 

MattyC wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 18:49:

VR developers, in particular, don't seem to account for the limited mobility of older gamers.

Also Wii Cribbage.

I will have you know that there is no Wii Cribbage, because if there was I would have preordered that so fast...
How about this?

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

10. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 7, 2020, 18:49 MattyC

Also Wii Cribbage.

I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

9. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 7, 2020, 17:29  jdreyer 

Also Wii Cribbage.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

8. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 7, 2020, 17:27  jdreyer 

ventry wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:12:

I'm 57 and I hassled the hell out of my parents for an Atari 2600 so I could play Space Invaders at home.
Very shortly after that I got my first job, saved up and purchased my Commodore 64 (which I still have).

Does your C64 still work? Are you able to play Impossible Mission and Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

7. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 7, 2020, 17:13 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

6. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 7, 2020, 17:12 ventry

The most powerful governments on earth can't stop a virus from spreading
BUT,
They can reduce the Earths temperature if you give them more of your money.

5. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 7, 2020, 16:33  Beamer 

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 11:27:
Not sure any of the publishers care about us.

Nope. They're making games to go wide. Gamers over 50 don't spend enough money, collectively, for any major publisher to target. The younger generations are outspending the 50+ year olds exponentially.

And yes, before someone complains, I know you and your friends are spending more than ever, but since when are the people here the norm and not the outlier? People here want to act like a special class that knows more than the average user in one thread, then act like everyone is just like them in another.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2020, 16:30  RedEye9 

That gnawing feeling of despair when everyone has quit your ftp game. Goodluck  

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

3. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2020, 15:11  jdreyer 

Gaming Attitudes and Habits of Adults Ages 50-Plus…

"Visit Blue's News daily."

2. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 7, 2020, 13:08 Bodolza

1. Re: Gaming Attitudes 50+ Jan 7, 2020, 11:27 Bill Borre

Not sure any of the publishers care about us.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >