Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Today will be our last full day of doggie-sitting for Jedi the Jindo. The bad news is that I will miss him terribly after I return him home tomorrow. The good news is this will allow me to return to my own bed, as I've been sharing the couch with him. This is a compromise of him being used to sleeping in the bed, which MrsBlue would not allow. A benefit of his visit is that it provided me with a motivation to get outside and walk around every day, just like we did when I was his neighbor. The added activity has been good for me, so I plan on continuing it even after he's home. Our new neighbor has a pair of labs she asked me to look after when she's gone this weekend, so it will be easy enough to continue for a couple of additional days. And since it's more fun to walk the doggies than to go it alone, so I'm going to propose walking them for her during the day while she's at work even after she returns. Seems like a win-win situation.

Win-win Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Links: From Soviet to science fiction icon, the weird life of Isaac Asimov 100 years on.
Stories: Impossible Foods' pig-free pork is here, and it's scary-similar to the real thing.
Zimmer Takes Over New Bond Film Score.
Giant tuna bought by Japanese businessman for $1.8 million. Sorry, Charlie.
Science: First potentially habitable Earth-size planet discovered by TESS mission, and it's nearby. Relatively speaking.
Why Do Dogs Yawn? I thought it was anxiety. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: Bush fire goes from 1 to a 100 in a couple seconds. Truly terrifying.
Homak Gun Safe Opened With Orange Juice Bottle.
Taking the road less traveled.
Follow-up: What Caused the Wildfires in Australia? Amid Worst Blazes for a Decade, 24 People Are Charged With Arson.
Northeast struck by flu as virus sets tragic record for children around the country.
The Funnies: Brevity.
View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2020, 18:51  Blue 

Kxmode wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 15:52:
Ant wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 00:05:
Blue, you can walk this old ant.

Thanks for all your many years of links!

Hear, hear!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2020, 15:52 Kxmode

Thanks for all your many years of links!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2020, 08:47  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2020, 00:05 Ant

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

33. Bush fire goes from 1 to a 100 in a couple seconds Jan 7, 2020, 23:33 Simon Says

Those madlads...

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 23:15 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 22:31:
dark energy - even beyond the math (i don't even know if there is any) it just never made logical sense. the universe is expanding, and it's accelerating? wtf? that goes beyond science into sky wizards controlling the cosmos. i always thought occam's razor, the more likely answer was the science was wrong than that the cosmos were wrong.
I can't say I disagree with you. And I suspect many in the scientific community agree, it didn't make sense. Energy from expanding space? But, it is what observations seemed to show and it is kind of hard to ignore what appears to be solid evidence X is happening, even if you don't understand why it is happening. After all, most of quantum mechanics "doesn't make sense". Another example, how can light be particles and a wave simultaneously? But it is. I've seen it explained multiple times on various science shows, but I still have difficulty wrapping my head around it. Science isn't about always being right. It is about continuing to try to understand everything we can.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 22:31 1badmf

dark energy - even beyond the math (i don't even know if there is any) it just never made logical sense. the universe is expanding, and it's accelerating? wtf? that goes beyond science into sky wizards controlling the cosmos. i always thought occam's razor, the more likely answer was the science was wrong than that the cosmos were wrong.  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 19:48 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:45:
We're all simulations in a 2D plane for some alien kid's fourth grade science project. Nothing is real.

That was an episode on The Orville.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 18:01 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:59:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:33:
What Caused the Wildfires in Australia? Amid Worst Blazes for a Decade, 24 People Are Charged With Arson.
Police in the state have also taken legal action against a further 159 people. Among them are 53 people who allegedly failed to comply with a total fire ban and 47 people who allegedly discarded a lit cigarette or match on land.

Jeez, that's a lot of A-holes.

Mayor of Sydney lit an entire fireworks show while the president was off to Hawaii for vacation. If you don't want people to be stupid, don't have stupid leaders... would be my idea.
too late america says hi

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 18:00 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:58:
Getting rid of Dark Energy simplifies things significantly -- consider that in the current (and now in danger) model of the universe, 70% of all energy/matter in the universe was Dark Energy. If that was "simply" a miscalculation, then there is a lot less stuff out there for us to figure out.
is dark energie made from cheese berderz?

Vaccines Cause Immunity

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 17:59 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:33:
What Caused the Wildfires in Australia? Amid Worst Blazes for a Decade, 24 People Are Charged With Arson.
Police in the state have also taken legal action against a further 159 people. Among them are 53 people who allegedly failed to comply with a total fire ban and 47 people who allegedly discarded a lit cigarette or match on land.

Mayor of Sydney lit an entire fireworks show while the president was off to Hawaii for vacation. If you don't want people to be stupid, don't have stupid leaders... would be my idea.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 17:58 Mr. Tact

Getting rid of Dark Energy simplifies things significantly -- consider that in the current (and now in danger) model of the universe, 70% of all energy/matter in the universe was Dark Energy. If that was "simply" a miscalculation, then there is a lot less stuff out there for us to figure out.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 17:47 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:45:
We're all simulations in a 2D plane for some alien kid's fourth grade science project. Nothing is real.
Except some of the simulations have made up their own simulations and have chosen to worship them.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 17:46 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:41:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:35:
Please don't start your answer off with a condescending statement. Outside of that, thank you for the information.
Uh, I wasn't being condescending, I assumed you were being silly/sarcastic/I don't what. No insult intended.

Cool beans.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 17:45 Burrito of Peace

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 17:41 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 17:35:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 16:34:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 16:14:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 13:26:
Interesting tidbit about dark energy.
Is Dark Energy made from Atoms?
I don't think you were being serious, but on the off chance you were -- Dark Energy, if it exists which is now in doubt, is most definitely not made of atoms. Nor is Dark Matter which we have better evidence of...
Please don't start your answer off with a condescending statement. Outside of that, thank you for the information.
Uh, I wasn't being condescending, I assumed you were being silly/sarcastic/I don't what. No insult intended.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 17:35 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 16:34:
I don't think you were being serious, but on the off chance you were -- Dark Energy, if it exists which is now in doubt, is most definitely not made of atoms. Nor is Dark Matter which we have better evidence of...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 17:33 jdreyer

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 16:34 Mr. Tact

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2020, 16:23 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 15:50:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 15:34:
Bush fire goes from 1 to a 100 in a couple seconds.
That's nucking futs.
Yeah, it was more like goes from an 8 to a 10, but still frightening if you're there.
More like 11 to 15.
That truck was parked way to close to the fuel.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >