Op Ed

• MarketWatch - PC gaming is in a decline — and deserves to be. Thanks RedEye9.
    "The reason is that the gaming industry has become far more focused on generating large profits than creating good products. When you stop caring about quality and focus on money-making mechanics, games lose their most important purpose and become shiny, but ultimately shallow and often half-baked, gambling simulators."
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Op Ed
Jan 7, 2020, 10:49
Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2020, 10:49
Jan 7, 2020, 10:49

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 7, 2020, 10:15:
It's the tail end of a console generation so it's time for all the hand-wringing clickbait about the death of the industry to start. Same thing happened last time when everyone said consoles and PCs were dead and everything was going to be on tablets. They were wrong then and they're wrong now.
Tablet gaming is dead, everyone is phone gaming now.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Jan 7, 2020, 10:15
Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2020, 10:15
Jan 7, 2020, 10:15

It's the tail end of a console generation so it's time for all the hand-wringing clickbait about the death of the industry to start. Same thing happened last time when everyone said consoles and PCs were dead and everything was going to be on tablets. They were wrong then and they're wrong now.
Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

Jan 7, 2020, 07:00
Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2020, 07:00
Jan 7, 2020, 07:00

pc gaming is too expensive just for incremental upgrades over console games

Jan 6, 2020, 22:50
Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 22:50
Jan 6, 2020, 22:50

I agree with him at least on one point, games lately, and I speak here in general, are BORING rehashes of things I've played already a hundred times.

There's near zero innovation, they're all playing it safe and quality has plummeted so much that I used to play, enjoy and complete more games in a few months back in 1990-2010 than I did in the last few years.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 6, 2020, 21:27
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2020, 21:27
Jan 6, 2020, 21:27

I agree with the backlog competition comment; to have a great time with great value requires just a little patience. I waited a year and got Div2 for $5. Would I ever pay 60, or even 30? Nope, but my friends and I will have some fun for cheap on a mostly patched up game.

This time next year, Borderlands 3 for 5$. Proper value with proper patching, and if a game is a complete failure or has terrible support (Anthem, RUNE 2, etc.), you just don't feel bad skipping it.

Jan 6, 2020, 18:19
JSP
Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 18:19
Jan 6, 2020, 18:19
JSP

I don't think PC gaming is in decline, at the outset it is in a transitional period being subsumed as part of content delivery service unified under one OS. What he lists as part of decline has its roots in console gaming. Inherent characteristics of PC gaming, especially the level of involvement in modding and long term support of quality in gaming, may not be reflected in quarterly financial reports of AAA publishers but is still on another level of uniqueness that is unmatched elsewhere. Build good games and they will come and play, and it is easiest to translate good and revolutionary ideas on the PC platform (i.e. Disco Elysium).

Re: Saturday Safety Dance
Jan 6, 2020, 17:21
Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jan 6, 2020, 17:21
Jan 6, 2020, 17:21

Garbage, just more clickbait garbage hoping to make a few cents off of the like button. Yawn.

Jan 6, 2020, 15:43
Fion

Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 15:43
Jan 6, 2020, 15:43
 Fion

Typical puff piece with a clickbait title. Gaming appears to be in decline only if you focus on AAA companies. If you look at the AA and indie markets, they've never been stronger.

Hell just a few short years ago, PC game sales accounted for nearly as much as every console combined. PC gaming in particular, is still growing rapidly. As are gaming PC sales.

Jan 6, 2020, 14:32
Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 14:32
Jan 6, 2020, 14:32

Fallout 76.

Jan 6, 2020, 14:20
Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 14:20
Jan 6, 2020, 14:20

Now now now.... we call them ethically absolutely correct surprise mechanics and GaaS. All hail the corporate surprise game service

Jan 6, 2020, 13:30
Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 13:30
Jan 6, 2020, 13:30

It's all been done already and people have already played it before. Ideas are running thin; just look at all the reboots, sequels and remakes.

Instead of new titles, I'm going back and playing great older titles in VR.

VR is or soon will be the next flood gates for developers.

Jan 6, 2020, 13:28
Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 13:28

Jurica Dujmovic is full of shit, just another blow hard bitching about a golden era of gaming that never even existed.

Battlefield V caused EA's stock price to decline? Well shit, what about every other company who's stocks dropped at the exact same time? Apple, Sony, TakeTwo,AT&T, Activation Blizzard or even fucking Ford.. Shit didn't the whole nasdaq, dow and S&P all take a hit in February/March of 2019?

The author then makes that games lack what they originally offered, while simultaneously whining that they are the same as they have always been. regarding Battlefields 11 titles He says and I fucking quote him here "All these games take the same shooter concept and upgrade it marginally, without modifying the gaming experience in any significant way".

Fuck man which is it? is it the same game with a marginal update, or has it been transformed into a grind fest to sell DLC? I wish he could make up his mind.

Seriously I can understand the feeling that games are to grindy, but fuck off with that bullshit... are you really telling me Dig-DUG, or PacMan Mario Brothers, Diablo 2, Might and Magic, Mike Tyson's Knock out, or dare I even say it, the WITCHER 3 were never Grindy? The grind is the game. That's what a game is.

then he goes into why games are too politically correct but offers nothing but his opinion and feelings as proof.

This article l is nothing but a copy of a copy of a bad you tube video. It offers no original ideals, only marginally expounds on the half baked arguments presented, and shows the authors inability to build a coherent thought.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2020, 18:02.

Prez

Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 13:28
 Prez

Beamer wrote on Jan 6, 2020, 13:10:
Prez wrote on Jan 6, 2020, 12:55:
So really, "AAA" PC gaming is dying...

The article's points are mostly about what big publishers are putting out these days. One cursory glance at Steam or Epic Game Store shows that there is still a ton of great gaming to be had.

And revenue is probably falling, but I don't think that matters.

I see a LOT of people here complaining about how bad games are today, as well. I just don't get it. We're in a golden age of independent gaming. Getting ones' hands on a top of the line engine has never been cheaper. Assets can be purchased for people without any real talent there. Small teams can make some great things.

On top of that, big AAA teams have given us The Witcher 3, XCOM, Wolfenstein New Colossus, DOOM, Dishonored, Prey, and a ton of other really interesting, stellar games.

There's way too much out there to play. We haven't had something like this in ages. Starting with 3D acceleration, we basically had AAA or nothing, and I'd argue that the indie game scene is much higher quality now than ever, on average. It may lack some of the peaks, but man, does anyone else remember going to computer shows and buying a CD-ROM full of, like 500 shareware games, of which exactly 3 had even the tiniest bit of value?

Agreed. And things may be turning. A few years ago who could have foreseen EA of all companies putting out a stellar singleplayer title like Fallen Order? Ubisoft is surely starting to realize after Breakpoint flopped that they're going to the well too many times. Capcom is absolutely killing it lately with one great singleplayer game after another. Even greedy Take2 is putting Rockstar's fantastic open world story driven games like GTA and RDR on PC that can be enjoyed as standalone experiences. CD Projekt Red is getting ready to release Cyberpunk, one of the most anticipated games of the year, and so on. The indie scen is thriving, putting out great games left and right. Then there are studios like Devolver Digital showing the big boys how it's done.

I basically ignore all the chicken littles acting as though the next videogame market crash is coming any moment. I've been a gamer for 43 years since I got my Atari 2600 and there has never been a better time to be a gamer.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jan 6, 2020, 13:10
Beamer

Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 13:10
Jan 6, 2020, 13:10
 Beamer

Prez wrote on Jan 6, 2020, 12:55:

The article's points are mostly about what big publishers are putting out these days. One cursory glance at Steam or Epic Game Store shows that there is still a ton of great gaming to be had.

And revenue is probably falling, but I don't think that matters.

I see a LOT of people here complaining about how bad games are today, as well. I just don't get it. We're in a golden age of independent gaming. Getting ones' hands on a top of the line engine has never been cheaper. Assets can be purchased for people without any real talent there. Small teams can make some great things.

On top of that, big AAA teams have given us The Witcher 3, XCOM, Wolfenstein New Colossus, DOOM, Dishonored, Prey, and a ton of other really interesting, stellar games.

There's way too much out there to play. We haven't had something like this in ages. Starting with 3D acceleration, we basically had AAA or nothing, and I'd argue that the indie game scene is much higher quality now than ever, on average. It may lack some of the peaks, but man, does anyone else remember going to computer shows and buying a CD-ROM full of, like 500 shareware games, of which exactly 3 had even the tiniest bit of value?

Jan 6, 2020, 13:09
Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 13:09
Jan 6, 2020, 13:09

Clearly we need more FOMO season passes and loot box alternatives!

Jan 6, 2020, 12:55
Prez

Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 12:55
Jan 6, 2020, 12:55
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jan 6, 2020, 12:44
El Pit

Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 12:44
Jan 6, 2020, 12:44
 El Pit

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 6, 2020, 12:03:
"PC gaming is dying" are the "New better battery technology discovered" news of gaming.

What I wanted to write was:

PC gaming is dying... AGAIN!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Jan 6, 2020, 12:34
Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 12:34
Jan 6, 2020, 12:34

Doom and Gloom get eyeballs for site ad revenue, news at eleven

Jan 6, 2020, 12:33
Jivaro

Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 12:33
Jan 6, 2020, 12:33
 Jivaro

With all the bundles and free games on all the platforms over the lat decade I am pretty sure that I could never buy another game again and still have more then enough games to keep me entertained for the rest of my life. If AAA wants me to keep buying they need to convince me that what they are releasing is better then any of the games that I already have in a very long backlog. I can't be the only one looking at new games this way.

Jan 6, 2020, 12:06
Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2020, 12:06
Jan 6, 2020, 12:06

The counter to this is this is happening at the AAA corporate level, there are a LOT of other great games out there to play instead if one thinks the corps have gone too far. Until they get rid of the small farmers game developers, they give us an alternative. There is no doubt the corps are pushed by wall street and how that game works you have to abide in many ways, otherwise be ousted.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older