Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Black Mesa Xen Release

And now, for our moment of Zen. This post on Steam announces the official release of the Xen chapters of Black Mesa, the modernized remake of Half-Life, Valve's seminal first-person shooter (thanks RedEye9). This does not yet mark the end of the Early Access beta for the game, but they outline a roadmap to lead them to version 1.0, so hopefully they'll get there soon. Here's word on the addition of the Xen content:
We have pushed a major patch to the Xen levels and released the full game on Steam “mainline”. This means you can play a polished and tested version of all Black Mesa without having to switch into public-beta. If you have been holding out for Xen, this is what you have been waiting for!

With this update, we not only bring the beta over to mainline, but also implement feedback to refine the difficulty, increase player guidance, fix bugs, as well as increase performance throughout the Interloper chapter. See the detailed change list below.

The game is still in Early Access (EA), so that we can get even more data and bug reports from a wider set of players and machines. We will be watching people play the game and listening to how we can further improve the game for the next big update to take us out of Early Access. In addition to polishing the levels, we want to look at the game as a whole before switching out of Early Access.

Note: It is extremely likely that workshop mods will currently break the game in strange and unexpected ways. During the beta we noticed odd issues caused by seemingly unrelated mods, such as players’ long jump modules not jumping them far enough. If you are experiencing strange issues with your game, try unsubscribing from all your workshop mods. This may resolve some issues. In the future this will hopefully be less of a problem, as workshop modders update their mods to work properly with the latest version of our engine/game.
View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 26, 2019, 08:16 RedEye9

Half Life is 20 years old and it's still good today. Engines get modified and new feature are added to do things they never did in the original version. I can't believe this has to be explained in a gaming forum but seeing who is confused about it I'm not surprised.  

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 26, 2019, 04:24 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2019, 15:05:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 25, 2019, 05:03:
chickenboo wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 14:09:
I'm planning on performing a complete new playthrough since this remaster is so darn good!
It was darn good 7 years ago. But is it still?

Why wouldn't it be? It's an amazing story with awesome enemies and weapons.

Just replayed the original Crysis, and it was still awesome.
Because 7 years and HL2 engine.
Crysis was far ahead of its time. Thats one reason why its still good today.
Still wouldnt play it again with all the good games released nowadays. Just no time to play a lot of old games, especially ones that have a forgettable story. I recently played Baldurs gate and Icewind Dale again. Now, those were worth it.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

14. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 25, 2019, 19:18 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2019, 15:05:

First and second act are awesomesauce incarnate (first act especially!) but the last act draaaaaaaags...Crysis 2 and 3 have better pacing, IMO...

=-Rigs-=

13. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 25, 2019, 15:05 jdreyer

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 25, 2019, 05:03:
I'm planning on performing a complete new playthrough since this remaster is so darn good!

Why wouldn't it be? It's an amazing story with awesome enemies and weapons.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

12. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 25, 2019, 05:03 Muscular Beaver

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

11. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 25, 2019, 00:07 CJ_Parker

Drayth wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 15:52:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 14:53:
I'm going to play this time entirely with the Steam Controller from the couch for that big screen experience.

Holy fucking shit...

- PCMR MEMBERSHIP REVOKED
- HALF-LIFE FAN CREDENTIALS REVOKED
- HUMAN SPECIES CLASSIFICATION REVOKED
- NEANDERTHAL STATUS APPROVED

Are you kidding me? You can't get anymore Valve than Half-Life in Big Picture Mode with a Steam Controller.

- JUDICIARY PRIVILEGES REVOKED

Nonononononononono

It's HALF LIFE THE FIRST

You have to play this with a two button mouse (no fancy gamer shit buttons) on a 14" CRT

Conslow Steam controller? Big screen?

Pffffffffftttttt... PURE CONSLOW PEASANTRY. Heathens! Heretics! BURN THEM!!!

10. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 22:28 Jivaro

I am waiting until after EA, but I am seriously looking forward to playing this.  

9. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 19:38 Prez

So it's done? Wow, thought the day would never come.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 19:01 Xero

Xero wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 13:12:
Sweet. I suppose I'll wait until it's out of EA though before actually giving it a shot. I already got up to the point of Xen and uninstalled it a couple years ago. I can wait longer if need be...

Did the same thing, got up to Xen and have held back since. I'm planning on performing a complete new playthrough since this remaster is so darn good! I think this is close enough for me, I could wait for official non-EA release but it won't be extensions of levels or story, simply bug fixes and further mod support.

I'm going to play this time entirely with the Steam Controller from the couch for that big screen experience.

Brah, if you want to enjoy that experience, I highly advise against doing that, lol. Use the big screen, but stick with the mouse and keyboard. Yeesh.

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

7. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 17:21 jdreyer

Holy fucking shit...

You are nothing if not unique, sir.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

6. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 16:32 Nimh

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 14:57:
Sweet. I suppose I'll wait until it's out of EA though before actually giving it a shot. I already got up to the point of Xen and uninstalled it a couple years ago. I can wait longer if need be...

Did the same thing, got up to Xen and have held back since. I'm planning on performing a complete new playthrough since this remaster is so darn good! I think this is close enough for me, I could wait for official non-EA release but it won't be extensions of levels or story, simply bug fixes and further mod support.

I got a Steam Controller during the sweet $5 dollar sale. My only fear is the years it will take to set it up.

Use community profiles, easier that way.

5. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 15:52 Drayth

Holy fucking shit...

Are you kidding me? You can't get anymore Valve than Half-Life in Big Picture Mode with a Steam Controller.

- JUDICIARY PRIVILEGES REVOKED

4. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 14:57 RedEye9

I got a Steam Controller during the sweet $5 dollar sale. My only fear is the years it will take to set it up.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

3. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 14:53 CJ_Parker

Holy fucking shit...

2. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 14:09 chickenboo

1. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 13:12 Xero

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >