Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2019, 16:49  jdreyer 

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 21, 2019, 08:35:
There was an opinion piece on Star Wars in the NYT yesterday. It did a pretty good job. Here is a good section:
...We literally can’t see “Star Wars” anymore: Its control-freakish creator won’t allow the original version of the film to be seen and has stubbornly maculated his own masterpiece, second-guessing correct editing decisions, restoring wisely deleted scenes and replacing his breakthrough special effects — historic artifacts in their own right — with ’90s vintage C.G.I., already more dated than the film’s original effects.

There may come a day, a long time from now, after Disney’s vampirically extended copyrights have expired and all the accumulated cultural detritus has eroded away, when people will have forgotten “Star Wars,” and can finally see it again.....
I hope I live to see that day...
You won't outlive a 99 year copyright, especially since you never go to the doctor.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2019, 08:35  Mr. Tact 

There was an opinion piece on Star Wars in the NYT yesterday. It did a pretty good job. Here is a good section:
...We literally can’t see “Star Wars” anymore: Its control-freakish creator won’t allow the original version of the film to be seen and has stubbornly maculated his own masterpiece, second-guessing correct editing decisions, restoring wisely deleted scenes and replacing his breakthrough special effects — historic artifacts in their own right — with ’90s vintage C.G.I., already more dated than the film’s original effects.

There may come a day, a long time from now, after Disney’s vampirically extended copyrights have expired and all the accumulated cultural detritus has eroded away, when people will have forgotten “Star Wars,” and can finally see it again.....
I hope I live to see that day...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

41. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2019, 17:30 shul

Kxmode wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 13:39:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 09:43:
Prez wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 07:47:
I hope all these Bible-thumpers are right about there being a Hell.
There isn't and they aren't.

Can confirm.

The Hebrew language is multi-layered with words that can mean very different things depending on the use, just like English. The imagery of a word like "hell" as understood today doesn't align with the Hebrew words Sheol and shaal (or shaul). The Bible translators have incorrectly homogenized these two. Sheol is a metaphor meaning "house of the dead." That is another way to say "the common grave of humanity." Shaal means "ask; request," which describes death as a person or a thing that "always asks or craves more." In either case of Sheol or shaal, the meaning is typically the same. Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10, "The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all . . . Whatever your hand does, do it with all your might. For there is no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom in the Grave [shaul], that where you are going." (Here's a screenshot of verse 10 in the original Hebrew translating shaul into "Unseen".)

Death is an enemy of life and the polar opposite of it. When someone dies, they do not go to a place of eternal torment, or heaven, or get reincarnated or anything else. Death is oblivion.

It’s not Shaul. It’s sh’oll.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2019, 13:39  Kxmode 

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 09:43:

Can confirm.

The Hebrew language is multi-layered with words that can mean very different things depending on the use, just like English. The imagery of a word like "hell" as understood today doesn't align with the Hebrew words Sheol and shaal (or shaul). The Bible translators have incorrectly homogenized these two. Sheol is a metaphor meaning "house of the dead." That is another way to say "the common grave of humanity." Shaal means "ask; request," which describes death as a person or a thing that "always asks or craves more." In either case of Sheol or shaal, the meaning is typically the same. Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10, "The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all . . . Whatever your hand does, do it with all your might. For there is no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom in the Grave [shaul], that where you are going." (Here's a screenshot of verse 10 in the original Hebrew translating shaul into "Unseen".)

Death is an enemy of life and the polar opposite of it. When someone dies, they do not go to a place of eternal torment, or heaven, or get reincarnated or anything else. Death is oblivion.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2019, 10:48  RedEye9 

Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 10:27:
Anyone notice today's Far Side?
time to go home
How apropos

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

38. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2019, 10:27  Beamer 

Anyone notice today's Far Side?  

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2019, 09:43  RedEye9 

Vaccines Cause Immunity

36. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2019, 07:47  Prez 

35 years on and I'm still hard-pressed to find a more brutal, driving, and just downright awesome death metal song than Angel of Death. Mixed with Wham! though... ugh.

As an aside the topic of the song, that evil bastard Mengele is the sole reason I hope all these Bible-thumpers are right about there being a Hell. He mercilessly slaughtered thousands and lived a full life and died peacefully a free man.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2019, 02:03  jdreyer 

Woman Uses Flamethrower To Clear Snow In Awesome Video. She is my new hero.

What you're not seeing are all the eggs that are just off screen.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

34. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2019, 01:55  jdreyer 

Kxmode wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 19:04:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 18:24:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 17:27:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 17:03:
Actually, it started with him. The prequels are bad but they are still George Lucas's work and The Clone Wars was a decent series. All that before Disney.
I disagree. Lucas destroyed his own work. He started the destruction in episode VI and completed the task in episode I. Lucas gets all the credit for the creation and all the blame for the destruction.

Say what you will about the Prequel trilogy, at least it's original.

Thank you! /drops tater tots
Nom nom nom.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2019, 01:54  jdreyer 

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 19:29:
"Original" is about the only non-negative thing you can say about Jar-Jar and the explanation of "midichlorians"... and those two things alone are sufficient to complete the destruction.
Throw in the sand dialog, and you have the trifecta: "I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere."

Still better than JJ Abrams imitative schlock. TLJ had some good and interesting ideas, even while being deeply flawed. Rian's better when he has a blank slate instead of being forced to follow Abram's crap: Knives Out is fucking awesome.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2019, 22:23 bigspender

Eating chili peppers may prevent fatal heart attacks and stroke. May.

Just my obligatory "heart-disease and stroke are optional" post :-)

Lower your cholesterol to less than 140 total, thru eating whole plant foods, and you'll never get ischaemic heart-disease / stroke (which is what most people die from). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqKNfyUPzoU https://www.ted.com/talks/dean_ornish_the_killer_american_diet_that_s_sweeping_the_planet?CMP=

Merry Xmas to all you BluesNews readers, from a non animal consuming atheist lol, may all of your presents be game related

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2019, 19:29  Mr. Tact 

"Original" is about the only non-negative thing you can say about Jar-Jar and the explanation of "midichlorians"... and those two things alone are sufficient to complete the destruction.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2019, 19:04  Kxmode 

Actually, it started with him. The prequels are bad but they are still George Lucas's work and The Clone Wars was a decent series. All that before Disney.
I disagree. Lucas destroyed his own work. He started the destruction in episode VI and completed the task in episode I. Lucas gets all the credit for the creation and all the blame for the destruction.

Thank you! /drops tater tots

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2019, 18:25  jdreyer 

Vaping Nicotine Tied To Long-Term Lung Damage In Nonsmokers And Smokers.

"Safer than smoking."

Uh-huh.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2019, 18:24  jdreyer 

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2019, 18:22  jdreyer 

Kxmode wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 16:45:
Nullity wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 15:50:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 15:39:
Blue wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 14:21:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 14:17:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 12:26:
I just realized "Tater Tots" is a euphemism for Potato Children.
MMM, sounds delicious!
Children of the corn are more common thanks to farm subsidies.
We need to stop eating children. They are the future!
But not the ones that could be referred to as "tater tots".

We carrot make any exceptions. We need to stop bean dead beets in this situation. Children cannot be kaled! They need to grow up and become big dills. So lettuce come together on this!
Wherein KX goes full Veggie Tales.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2019, 18:21  jdreyer 

1badmf wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 16:13:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 15:20:
Here's a Star Wars review:

If there’s something you always wanted to see in a Star Wars movie, but haven’t yet, odds are it’s in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. The film plays like a 150-minute checklist of cool stuff and surprises designed to please as many fans as possible. That may sound great, but in the process, that densely packed highlight reel fails to tell a story that’s narratively interesting, thematically cohesive, or that builds any impactful stakes. It’s a film designed to tantalize and delight in the hope those things cover up its many shortcomings.

So, basically another JJ Abrams shitfest.

exactly what i was expecting. JarJar abrams couldn't make good art to save his life. he's michael bay except worse - he pretends he's a good film maker. Bay at least embraces his role as a commercial schlockfest king.

Is it sad that I'm looking forward more to Bay's Underground 6 than I am to Star Wars?

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2019, 17:27  Mr. Tact 

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2019, 17:16  RedEye9 

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 16:53:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 18, 2019, 16:47:
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of childhoods." -- JJ Abrams
Yeah, well... Star Wars was destroyed long before JJ got his hands on it...

Ooooh GEEK FIGHT
This is not gonna end well. nsfw

Vaccines Cause Immunity

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >