Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

As I mentioned last night, my oral surgery went very well. This was to remove the remains of my two front teeth which were replaced with crowns years ago following an accident. I was told a while back to adjust to the reality that these would eventually fail, and that when they did, replacing them with implants would be the advisable outcome. Flash forward to a recent visit to a dear friends' home, where his rambunctious little 100+ pound Great Dane puppy punched (for lack of a better term) me in the mouth. This completely loosened one of the crowns, though luckily it remained in place for the time being. But this meant my time was up, so yesterday the oral surgeon removed the roots of these teeth. The good news is that he deemed the situation favorable to also put in the implants during the same visit, meaning this process will take less time than it could. The bad news is that it's still going to be at least three months before I can get the permanent crowns placed. In the meantime I have a little removable set of dentures called a "flipper" to fill the gap. This is a lot like a retainer, so there's a little shelf of plastic on the roof of my mouth to help hold this in place. It's right where the tongue forms a lot of sounds, so this means I currently have a spectacular lisp and am going to have to work towards speaking properly. I'm also restricted to fairly soft foods for the foreseeable future. So while it will all be over soon enough, the next few months are going to be an adventure in inconvenience. On the other hand, I should be able to land the lead in a holiday show. Sing along with me... ♫"All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth..."♫

Crowning Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Calculator: The Game.
Stories: Mathematician Terence Tao and the Collatz Conjecture. Thanks Slashdot.
Virtual Tour Allows Caregivers To Experience Dementia-Like Limitations. Thanks Acleacius.
Science: Scientists Found the Deepest Land on Earth Hiding Beneath Antarctica's Ice.
Itís a Vast, Invisible Climate Menace. We Made It Visible. Thanks Acleacius.
Asthma carbon footprint 'as big as eating meat.' Thanks Max.
Media: Maria Bamford - Crazy Meds. NSFW.
Why the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans Don't Mix.
Can Underwater Turbines Solve Our Energy Problems?
View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Teeth! Dec 15, 2019, 23:40 Ant

I know that pain, Blue. I have bad oral hygiene due to my disabilities. I will be losing another tooth (front) due to an infection that root canal failed to fix a couple years ago.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. maria bamford Dec 15, 2019, 12:38 RedEye9

Modern Comedian | Series
"A fascinating and dramatic exploration of the complex psyches of true artists who are sometimes perceived as clowns." - Josh Gross, Boise Weekly
Documentary web series shot, edited and produced by Scott Moran.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjKEjZEaG0HupT24hl_u8_Q

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2019, 10:49 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 15, 2019, 10:01:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 17:31:
Itís a Vast, Invisible Climate Menace. We Made It Visible.
We're so F'd.
Yep. The more we learn, the more those "crazy" predictions about thousands of miles of coastline getting inundated seem more likely... It will be interesting to see how bad it gets in the time I have left (15-25 years)...
people and corporation's have spent BILLiONS on denying climate change. oil companies are good people to So i have to side with them

Vaccines Cause Immunity

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2019, 10:01 Mr. Tact

We're so F'd.
Yep. The more we learn, the more those "crazy" predictions about thousands of miles of coastline getting inundated seem more likely... It will be interesting to see how bad it gets in the time I have left (15-25 years)...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2019, 09:39 gsilver

Glad to see that you made it, but I would advise to take care of your gut health once youíre completely off of the antibiotics and have recovered. Iíve been dealing with some chronic health problems, and my doctor thinks that they were made worse by antibiotics throwing my system out of whack.
Not saying that they arenít important, but antibiotics kill a lot of good bacteria, too, so probiotics afterwards are important.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2019, 05:41 eRe4s3r

We're so F'd.

Capitalism, isn't it great?

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 14, 2019, 22:08 Mr. Tact

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 18:59:
The only issue is you have to do a crapload of research. It sucks if something goes wrong! And you have to plan for travel insurance and downtime after surgery carefully.
Okay, wow. I can't even imagine being convinced by any amount of research. I mean, maybe if I knew someone who had work done at the specific facility/doctor I was considering -- maybe. But I'm pretty sure no one I know IRL has done such a thing.

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 14, 2019, 19:23 Armengar

Played a lot of rugby in my youth. Scrum half, got many kicks to the face. My front teeth are implants, not a lot of fun in later life when they get wobbly but good enough. Feel you pain, hope you get to adjust.  

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 14, 2019, 18:59 Rectal Prolapse

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 15:21:
Rectal Prolapse wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 14:45:
I went to a different country for the procedure.
Why don't you want to say what country you went to? Or do you just think it is widely available and hence it didn't matter?

As others mentioned - yeah it's pretty much everywhere. Mexico, Costa Rica, Poland, India, Hong Kong, and so on. The only issue is you have to do a crapload of research. It sucks if something goes wrong! And you have to plan for travel insurance and downtime after surgery carefully.

I went to Costa Rica - which is a bit expensive compared to Mexico. Facilities will vary, so you have to do a lot of research and talk to friends and family who have done it outside of the country to get advice and lessons. I mainly stressed out over post-surgery care.

The toughest part is wondering if you broke something when you're chewing food. I hear and feel a crunch and sometimes have pain, and wonder if I messed up the implant. It's so unnerving the first couple of months.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 18:56 Acleacius

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 15:30:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 14:18:
Did the puppy at least apologize and buy you a beer! Puppyeyes Ahoy

Omg, can't believe you gave RedEye9 credit for my Dementia Tour!
j/k
I didnít send that in, maybe not j/k

Returning my friend to her 2 65 pound dogs, 1 older blue tic coon and one Freshly neutered golden doodle, involved me going in the house first to let the dogs out in the side fenced yard. The hound took one wif and knew Iíd been in contact with mom, he immediately started baying and barking and didnít stop until he broke out of the fence. The doodle, full of puppy, was a lightning ball of energy.
It was a good reunion, shoulda filmed it.

edit
turbo lolz, I totally missed @Acleacius Ēcredit for myĒcomment that it was his submission, but now I see world order has been restored. Bulb
Giggle I was really joking cause he gives me too much credit. I tried to pull rank on Blue once and he Smited me with El Presidente Hammer of Blue DeMolecularazation! Trollbashing Smackdown

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs,
you would not hear of that party again in our political history.....and they are stupid. Dwight D. Eisenhower

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 18:09 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 17:39:
overpopulation. Until we start actually DOING something about that everything else is just treating the symptoms.

Listen, I already have the gauntlet and two Infinity Stones. I'm working on it, but these stupid goofballs in tights keep getting in the way.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 17:39 Cutter

Can Underwater Turbines Solve Our Energy Problems?

No, they can't. It never ceases to amaze me that every article on energy and the environment and no one EVER mentions the largest factor in all of it...overpopulation. Until we start actually DOING something about that everything else is just treating the symptoms.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

12. Re: Morning Legal Teeth Dec 14, 2019, 17:38 Cutter

Why don't you want to say what country you went to? Or do you just think it is widely available and hence it didn't matter?

I need 3 teeth done and I'm looking at doing them in Poland - as that's where the dental tourism is in Europe. No way I'm doing them here at $3000 a tooth. Still doing the research but I'm estimating it to be 1/3rd of that over there.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 17:31 jdreyer

We're so F'd.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 17:29 jdreyer

Asthma carbon footprint 'as big as eating meat.'

You'd think they could come up with an alternative propellant, just like they did for CFCs a couple of decades ago.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 17:27 jdreyer

I'm undergoing the same procedure on one of my molars, #19. Just had my post put in about a month ago. Then last week the abutment came out while I was eating scrambled eggs. Apparently they can work loose. Doc had to clear out some gum tissue that had grown into the gap and rescrew the abutment.

As for foods: I've been eating a lot of soup. Instead of cold granola I eat oatmeal. I'm able to eat salad, just no raw carrots. And although they told me no nuts, I've been able to eat them, I just avoid the almonds. For the most part I haven't felt too restricted. Anything I feel might be a bit too hard, I just chew on the other side. Insurance covers about $1000 per year, so I got the post done this year, and will get the crown done next year. I'll be out of pocket about $2500.

Here's a diagram of what we're talking about in case people are curious.

8. Re: Morning Teeth Briefs Dec 14, 2019, 16:37 Nimh

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 14:49:
Oh yeah - now that you have an implant you will have to be very serious about your oral hygiene. Floss every day, or maybe even use a Waterpik! Try to extend the life of your implants as long as possible. My goal is to keep up the routine to get 10 years out of mine, instead of the usual 5 years. 90% chance it will last that long supposedly, but that's not good enough for me.

My wife has the same issues and says the facilities are pretty advanced. We are in Montreal. Certainly comparable with her previous oral surgeon in New York City. For what it's worth.

7. Re: Morning Legal Teeth Dec 14, 2019, 15:35 RedEye9

Down here peeps go to Mexico for cataracts, dental work, laser eye surgery and boys town. Thousands of dollars saved versus the same services in the land of the free. Our healthcare might not always be the best but itís always the most expensive.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 15:30 RedEye9

Acleacius wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 14:18:
Did the puppy at least apologize and buy you a beer! Puppyeyes Ahoy

Omg, can't believe you gave RedEye9 credit for my Dementia Tour!
j/k
I didnít send that in, maybe not j/k

Returning my friend to her 2 65 pound dogs, 1 older blue tic coon and one Freshly neutered golden doodle, involved me going in the house first to let the dogs out in the side fenced yard. The hound took one wif and knew Iíd been in contact with mom, he immediately started baying and barking and didnít stop until he broke out of the fence. The doodle, full of puppy, was a lightning ball of energy.
It was a good reunion, shoulda filmed it.

edit
turbo lolz, I totally missed @Acleacius Ēcredit for myĒcomment that it was his submission, but now I see world order has been restored. Bulb

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2019, 18:32.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

5. Re: Morning Legal Teeth Dec 14, 2019, 15:21 Mr. Tact

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >