Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Apologies for the late update this morning. I am not operating on all cylinders at the moment. I have oral surgery later today, and the doctor started me on some antibiotics, which have positively ruined me. I have terrible stomach cramps, and was up much of the night puking and suffering. As I say, this is to pave the way for oral surgery, so I may actually feel worse later, so I'm not sure how updates will go today. I guess things are going about as well as I should expect for scheduling this on Friday the 13th.

Obituary: Do the Right Thing Star Danny Aiello Dead at 86.

Surgical Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: US court suspends naming restrictions on fake meat firms. Thanks Acleacius.
Woman Caught Shoplifting While Police Were In Store. Thanks Boing Boing.
Redbox Bowl does Cal, Illinois dirty with awkward errors on official T-shirts. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: Secrets of orangutan language revealed. Thanks Max.
The empathy option: The science of how and why we choose to be empathetic. Thanks Max.
Media: Star Wars Ride - Rise of the Resistance Trackless Dark Ride.
Sesame Street: A Tribute to Caroll Spinney.
Saving an eagle from an octopus.
Follow-up: Peloton actress Monica Ruiz weighs in on controversy: 'Honestly, I think it was my face.'
View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 19:23 Prez

I'm pretty sure it does have to do with how the antibiotics affect my gut, since when I take probiotics along with them my symptoms are less severe. As someone who routinely deals with abandoned animals, I tend to get a lot of dog bites from dogs scared out of their minds who bite out of fear. Dog bites will more often than not get infected (dogs' mouths are loaded with nasty pathogens) so I am on antibiotics way more often than the average person.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 18:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 13:42:
Possibly, but why would it do that in some people and not others? I've never had a bad reaction to antibiotics. I mean I guess some people are just more susceptible to the antibiotics or have "delicate" digestive systems, but it still seems weird to me.

I said it at the end, possible minor allergic reaction. It'd be hard to figure out the exact reason, because very few doctors are going to spend the time and energy to find out why, when they can just try another, different antibiotic next time, if the patient even tells them they had a bad reaction in the first place.

Stomach issues are usually listed as side effects for most antibiotics anyway, so unless there is a severe allergic reaction (swelling in air passages, hives, etc.) no one's going to bat an eye.

Luck of the draw is short answer.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 13:42 Mr. Tact

Possibly, but why would it do that in some people and not others? I've never had a bad reaction to antibiotics. I mean I guess some people are just more susceptible to the antibiotics or have "delicate" digestive systems, but it still seems weird to me.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 13:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 08:57:
Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 08:23:
I don't get quite as bad a reaction as Blue but antibiotics make me sick without fail.
That is interesting, I'd like to hear a medical explanation of what is happening to cause that...

Strong antibiotics = kill off some or even most of your gut biome, our symbiotic bacteria in your intestines, stomach. Without those, humans cannot extract nutrients from food fully, and your digestive tract in general can be upset.

People without an appendix will take even longer to recover from the loss of that helpful bacteria, as relatively recently, it has been theorized that the appendix is actually not useless, but it stores some symbiotic bacteria to quickly return and recolonize your digestive tract after infections or upsets.

After or even during antibiotic courses, eat some probiotic yogurts, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, etc. to get back some bacterial cultures.

Also not impossible to rule out psychosomatic response, "I always get sick when I take antibiotics!" *person gets anxious* feedback loop. And of course, possibility of allergic reactions. Not everyone bursts out in hives when they are allergic, but if your digestive tract becomes inflamed, you're in for some discomfort/vomiting/diarrhea.

*Disclaimer: Not a doctor, but have asked these questions before of actual doctors.

*EDIT* Typo.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2019, 21:12.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 08:57 Mr. Tact

Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 08:23:
I don't get quite as bad a reaction as Blue but antibiotics make me sick without fail.
That is interesting, I'd like to hear a medical explanation of what is happening to cause that...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 08:23 Prez

A root canal is oral surgery that is required for an infection in the root, so dentists will always prescribe a week-long regimen of antibiotics before the procedure. Surgery on an infected area is a no-no typically.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 05:37 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Dec 14, 2019, 02:15:
WarPig wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 23:58:
In previous surgeries he had removed a healthy looking gallbladder and the patient's problems cleared up, and he had removed a obviously diseased gallbladder but the patient's problems did not clear up. *shrug*

Well, mine was a no-brainer because it was full of gallstones. It actually felt like a rock underneath my right rib cage. It finally went nuclear and landed me in the ER, so after a couple months on the BRAT diet I finally got it hacked out. Hopefully your sister will be helped after having hers removed.
The BRAT diet. So you eat a lot of bratwurst?

He eats a lot of annoying small children. Om nom nom.

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2019, 02:15 jdreyer

WarPig wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 23:58:
In previous surgeries he had removed a healthy looking gallbladder and the patient's problems cleared up, and he had removed a obviously diseased gallbladder but the patient's problems did not clear up. *shrug*

Well, mine was a no-brainer because it was full of gallstones. It actually felt like a rock underneath my right rib cage. It finally went nuclear and landed me in the ER, so after a couple months on the BRAT diet I finally got it hacked out. Hopefully your sister will be helped after having hers removed.
The BRAT diet. So you eat a lot of bratwurst?

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 23:58 WarPig

GO SEAHAWKS!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 22:10 Acleacius

Damn Blue, that's sounds messed up. Glad your doing better. Sick

Honestly didn't know peeps had such bad reactions to antibiotics. I don't take them often but once in the last 5 or 10 years, But I always try to eat Probiotic and Fermented rich foods.

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs,
you would not hear of that party again in our political history.....and they are stupid. Dwight D. Eisenhower

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 19:32 Mr. Tact

WarPig wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 19:24:
I had my gallbladder removed earlier this year. Not exactly pleasant but I'm glad it's gone.
Glad it went well for you. That's one of the surgeries my sister has had -- at the time the doctor basically told her it was a crap shoot of a surgery. In previous surgeries he had removed a healthy looking gallbladder and the patient's problems cleared up, and he had removed a obviously diseased gallbladder but the patient's problems did not clear up. *shrug*

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 19:24 WarPig

Currently I’m most knowledgeable about gallbladders, bile ducts and hot phlebotomists. but that’s subject to change

I had my gallbladder removed earlier this year. Not exactly pleasant but I'm glad it's gone.

Hadn't heard a "Dr. Toothy" story for awhile from Blue. This one sounds a little more serious. Hope everything turns out fine.

GO SEAHAWKS!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 18:32 Mr. Tact

Spoke to one of my sisters who has had multiple operations over the years (the woman simply has bad luck in the health department) and she said she was given antibiotics prior to one of the surgeries. The doctor told her it was a preventive step, to avoid the possibility an infectious problem which had not yet shown symptoms and any infection which might result from the surgery and/or time in the hospital, even if the odds for that were low.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 17:52 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 14:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 12:43:
They’ll also pull all your teeth if your getting a transplant (Kidney, liver, heart, lung, brain) and have gum disease.
Really? It feels like you are pulling my leg (other than the obvious brain transplant..). If you aren't, surely that's only if they have "serious" gum disease, not run of the mill Gingivitis...
Not everyone who has had an organ transplant has had their teethies pulled. It’s a case by case thing or It might just be a Texas thing

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 17:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 16:07:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 13:22:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 12:34:
Taking antibiotics led to you have stomach cramps and vomiting? That seems really weird. It also seems weird they would have you take them prior to the surgery to begin with. Color me confused....

I had oral surgery recently, and the doc had me do the same thing. Probably want to get them in your system given how much more likely an oral operation is going to get infected due to all the bacteria in your mouth.

Maybe that's an American thing. I've had two roots and no antibiotics were involved before or after. Didn't have any problems with them either. Seems like overuse contributing to the problem of bacterial resistance to drugs.
I don't remember getting them for my root canal a few years ago, but when I had jaw surgery last month they gave them to me. They also made me brush three times a day with baking soda and peroxide.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 16:08 Cutter

RIP Danny. Always loved that guy. While I generally don't care about celebs he's one guy I always wanted to meet. Was just about to give Hudson Hawk a rewatch too. Now I will for sure.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 16:07 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 13:22:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 12:34:
Taking antibiotics led to you have stomach cramps and vomiting? That seems really weird. It also seems weird they would have you take them prior to the surgery to begin with. Color me confused....

I had oral surgery recently, and the doc had me do the same thing. Probably want to get them in your system given how much more likely an oral operation is going to get infected due to all the bacteria in your mouth.

Maybe that's an American thing. I've had two roots and no antibiotics were involved before or after. Didn't have any problems with them either. Seems like overuse contributing to the problem of bacterial resistance to drugs.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 14:48 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 13, 2019, 12:43:
They’ll also pull all your teeth if your getting a transplant (Kidney, liver, heart, lung, brain) and have gum disease.
Really? It feels like you are pulling my leg (other than the obvious brain transplant..). If you aren't, surely that's only if they have "serious" gum disease, not run of the mill Gingivitis...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 14:15 Ozmodan

Blue I hope you feel better.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2019, 13:24 jdreyer

so I'm not sure how updates will go today

Blue in ten years:

"I'm having quadruple bypass surgery today, so the updates may be a bit late."

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.