Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced

The Game Awards also brings us the reveal of Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance, a new D&D action/RPG expected next year. This is such mainstream news there are already articles about it on CNBC and USA Today. There's also piece on the news on VentureBeat which includes the trailer. Here's what they are saying in USA Today tonight:
A video game featuring one of the series’ most popular characters. “Dark Alliance” is set to launch in fall 2020 on PC and consoles. The game is described as “exciting, action-driven, hack-and-slash adventure filled with iconic monsters, legendary characters, and epic loot.” It’ll be a third-person action role-playing game with local and online four-player cooperative play.

“Dark Alliance” will feature Drizzt Do’Urden, one of the most popular characters from the lore of D&D, also featured in the works of author R.A. Salvatore. The game is being billed as a “spiritual successor” to the “Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance” games of the early 2000s.

“Drizzt and his companions are some of Dungeons & Dragons’ most recognizable heroes,” Nathan Stewart, head of franchise for Dungeons & Dragons, said in a statement to USA TODAY. “This all-new Dark Alliance will give players a visceral experience that drops them into the action of a Drizzt storyline like never before.”

Jeff Hattem, head of studio at Tuque Games, said he wants “Dark Alliance” to live in the space that comes after a Dungeon Master – the one who guides players through a game of D&D – tells players to “roll initiative,” or begin in-game combat.
View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced
Dec 13, 2019, 15:59
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced Dec 13, 2019, 15:59
Dec 13, 2019, 15:59

Yeah, this looks like it's probably a phone game they decided to roll out to PC and consoles. That trailer just speaks volumes about how terrible it will be. Fuck you very much once again, WOTC.

Dec 13, 2019, 14:06
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced Dec 13, 2019, 14:06
Dec 13, 2019, 14:06

There hasn't been a decent D&D game in a long time, and this does not inspire confidence.
Buy/HODL AMC! (Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor / this is not financial advice)

Dec 13, 2019, 11:45
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced Dec 13, 2019, 11:45
Dec 13, 2019, 11:45

I still play the two original Dark Alliance games. They held up pretty well. All of the Snowblind engine games do (Even Brotherhood of Steel, IMO) so seeing someone finally take a crack at another one makes me happy.

Hope they understand the ARPG/Diablo clone genre is very advanced now and you need a deep build system *and* a lot of post-game challenge content to keep players around for more than a month. Especially with the new Path of Exile coming out.

Dec 13, 2019, 10:09
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced Dec 13, 2019, 10:09
Dec 13, 2019, 10:09

Nidian wrote on Dec 12, 2019, 22:40:
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong... but I always thought (or was under the assumption) that Interplay owned the Dark Alliance trademark. I know they didn't own the Baldur's Gate trademark... but I was at least pretty sure they owned the Dark Alliance part. And that was mainly the reason we never got another one in the series. Did they sell the trademark or am I getting this all wrong?

Interplay had a trademark on Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance but they abandoned those, and WOTC filed new trademarks on "Dark Alliance" this year.
"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

Dec 13, 2019, 10:02
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced Dec 13, 2019, 10:02
Dec 13, 2019, 10:02

ROFL, that is the most hilarious and least informative trailer I've seen in awhile, as far as actual gameplay.

GoPro on a scimitar, you hit the nail on the head, JTW.

However I do love good ARPGs, and I can tolerate Drizzt and his bunch, I guess I'll wait and see what the game ends up actually looking like.

Dec 13, 2019, 09:48
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced Dec 13, 2019, 09:48
Dec 13, 2019, 09:48

Nidian wrote on Dec 12, 2019, 22:40:
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong... but I always thought (or was under the assumption) that Interplay owned the Dark Alliance trademark. I know they didn't own the Baldur's Gate trademark... but I was at least pretty sure they owned the Dark Alliance part. And that was mainly the reason we never got another one in the series. Did they sell the trademark or am I getting this all wrong?

WOTC owns everything, and anytime they want, they can pull that licenses and give it out to-whoever they want.

I really liked the Dark Alliance games, do glad this is coming to the PC. with Coop too.

Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Dec 13, 2019, 09:17
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced Dec 13, 2019, 09:17
Dec 13, 2019, 09:17

The trailer is an awesome parody of DnD, and at the same time, cinematical absolutely abysmal. To the point where I am not sure it was meant to be serious or not...

It's not April 1st is it?

At least this explains why it was not announced on the big game shows this year.... would have been laughed out of the show.

Dec 13, 2019, 02:42
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced Dec 13, 2019, 02:42
Dec 13, 2019, 02:42

Terrible trailer.

However, I saw Bruenor, Catti-brie, Wulfgar and Drizzit. I am excited. =)
Currently playing: Spider-man, Sea of Thieves, Horizon Zero Dawn

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Dec 13, 2019, 00:55
JTW
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 13, 2019, 00:55
Dec 13, 2019, 00:55
JTW

Bad metal, absurd faces, and a GoPro stuck to a scimitar.

Yeah, that's not giving me a lot of confidence.

Dec 12, 2019, 22:43
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced Dec 12, 2019, 22:43
Dec 12, 2019, 22:43

Hopefully, there will be loads of content to play, I don't have the patience to grind for "the best weapons" and re-run maps over, and over, and over, and over again, give me a compelling story and I'm happy as a turtle in the mud.

Dec 12, 2019, 22:40
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced Dec 12, 2019, 22:40
Dec 12, 2019, 22:40

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older