Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is now available on the Epic Games Store, offering the chance to pilot your own BattleTech Mech in the first single-player MechWarrior action game in nearly 20 years. Here's a new Launch Trailer with some boffo cinematics, there's also a set of MechWarrior 5 Origins novellas on the official website. Here's the big picture:
Almost 20 years since the last single player MechWarrior game hit pilot’s PCs, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries from Piranha Games is now available for download on the Epic Games Store ($49.99 standard, $59.99 collectors edition.)

Additionally, the full suite of short stories leading up to the events in MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries have been released, and now an anthology collection of all eight is available: https://mw5mercs.com/novellas. The new and original series is penned by Randall N. Bills, author of over half a dozen novels, and whose led the publication of hundreds of sourcebooks and rulebooks set within the BattleTech and MechWarrior universe over the past two decades. (https://store.catalystgamelabs.com.)

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries marks the return of the series’ mission-focused campaign structure, allowing pilots to call the shots while leading either AI-controlled allies or up to three friends through optional co-op into dangerous contracts. Unit leaders will decide which risky missions to accept, where their priorities lie across the Inner Sphere’s volatile conflict zones, as well as how to best utilize the resources earned from their dances with death.

Featuring expansively destructible environments, pilots can tear through structures while swatting helicopters out of the sky and reducing rival pilots’ rides to scrap. Strategize in the moments in-between battles in the Mech Bay with mission recovery and choose your pre-deployment loadouts to maximize your chances of glory on the battlefield. Whether you play solo or team up via co-op with friends, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is all about risk, reward, and consequence.
View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 13, 2019, 21:33 The Half Elf

Ok I pulled the trigger on this... I feel like a traitor to Steam, but I saw the entire game can be co-oped

Friend me as CptRanger on EGS.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 11, 2019, 20:23 Midnight

What a mess this game is.

PROS:
- No competing products
- Destroying cities can be fun

CONS:
- Dated visuals
- Lacklustre sound design
- Derivative/cliched story with absolutely terrible writing and flat voice acting
- Little sense of weight to the mechs
- Fights are twitchy and chaotic rather than slow and deliberate
- Every mission feels stupidly easy or unfairly difficult
- Simplistic mech customisation options

I doubt I'll launch it again without some major mods installed.

http://www.crimsondark.com

30. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 11, 2019, 10:00 VaranDragon

Overon wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 22:50:
How I lament that this was done by Piranha Games. I wish it was done by someone with more competence.

Quite true. The game is actually not really as bad as that, its pretty enjoyable when it works. Not all the "cons" and "ugly" are as bad as Simon Says says. (Ha!) What is unforgivable is that there are no official game forums, at least none that I can find.

29. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 22:50 Overon

Simon Says wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 21:20:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 20:21:
See a lot of day one buyers here, interesting.

Or not... Trying it doesn't mean you bought it.

Tried it too here, here's what I found so far:

Pros:

-It's Mechwarrior

Cons:

-Components are destroyed way too easily
-Mech parts are destroyed way too easily, they're paper even in heavy mechs VS vehicles/turrets and light mechs
-Mechs are much less customizable VS older mercenaries games
-Can't modify difficulty
-All structures are destructible, which limits tactical choices, why bother when you can just blast through?
-Lots of other stuff that is vastly inferior to previous mercenaries games
-Graphics look meh, like something from early 2010s despite being pretty demanding on hardware, IOWs, unoptimized game

Ugly:

-LRMs mechanics are dumb as fuck and just stupid compared to previous games
-PPCs are way too slow when you consider sluggish torso responsiveness
-Laser discharges are too long and are wasted unless you keep reticle on target at all times, which is dumb as fuck when you consider sluggish torso responsiveness
-Not modding friendly
-Vehicles are way too powerful and durable and they spam them everywhere in missions, it's just stupid
-Dumb lancemate AIs when enemy AI is pretty good, dumb decision from devs
-Lancemate mechs get destroyed like they're paper and can't go through a single mission without losing almost all their components

So al in all... glad I tried it first, it's pretty bad compared to the classics. I'm gonna wait for mod support, official or playermade, mod it to my tastes and apply player made mods that fix some of the above crap before considering buying it in a year or so.

Cheers!
How I lament that this was done by Piranha Games. I wish it was done by someone with more competence.

28. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 22:23 Simon Says

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 22:12:

There's a demo?

It's called a friend who bought it and invited you to try it ( and there are also other less legit ways to "try it" ).

27. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 22:12 HorrorScope

There's a demo?

26. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 21:20 Simon Says

Tried it too here, here's what I found so far:

Pros:

-It's Mechwarrior

Cons:

-Components are destroyed way too easily
-Mech parts are destroyed way too easily, they're paper even in heavy mechs VS vehicles/turrets and light mechs
-Mechs are much less customizable VS older mercenaries games
-Can't modify difficulty
-All structures are destructible, which limits tactical choices, why bother when you can just blast through?
-Lots of other stuff that is vastly inferior to previous mercenaries games
-Graphics look meh, like something from early 2010s despite being pretty demanding on hardware, IOWs, unoptimized game

Ugly:

-LRMs mechanics are dumb as fuck and just stupid compared to previous games
-PPCs are way too slow when you consider sluggish torso responsiveness
-Laser discharges are too long and are wasted unless you keep reticle on target at all times, which is dumb as fuck when you consider sluggish torso responsiveness
-Not modding friendly
-Vehicles are way too powerful and durable and they spam them everywhere in missions, it's just stupid
-Dumb lancemate AIs when enemy AI is pretty good, dumb decision from devs
-Lancemate mechs get destroyed like they're paper and can't go through a single mission without losing almost all their components

So al in all... glad I tried it first, it's pretty bad compared to the classics. I'm gonna wait for mod support, official or playermade, mod it to my tastes and apply player made mods that fix some of the above crap before considering buying it in a year or so.

Cheers!

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2019, 21:32.

25. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 21:19 jdreyer

KS wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 16:11:
VaranDragon wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 15:18:
Game crashed again on the third mission. This time with no error log or warning. Had to do a hard reset.

I see it's a little too close to Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries.
MW2M with upgraded graphics? Sign me up!

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

24. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 20:21 HorrorScope

23. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 18:14 Hump

KS wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 16:11:
Game crashed again on the third mission. This time with no error log or warning. Had to do a hard reset.

Huh?

A worthy successor to the original Mercenaries is the number one request of every hardcore fan of the series.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

22. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 16:11 KS

21. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 15:54 CJ_Parker

This is a pretty much brand new system I built so there is something definitely off about all of it. Will try removing all NVIDIA drivers and reinstalling them tomorrow.

New system, hard reset... sounds pretty serious and more like a hardware than a software issue.

I'd say first priority should be to remove any and all overclocking from CPU and RAM. The Unreal engine is known to be very sensitive to an unstable OC.
A lot of people falsely believe they have a stable OC just because Prime ran fine for 15 minutes and because "most" of their games don't crash. Not saying you're one of those peeps but it is always a possibility that you may be under the illusion of a stable OC when the system is kinda wonky in reality.

Particularly, if your new PC is a Ryzen then consider letting go of any IF overclocking or RAM OC (also consider loosening up the RAM timing settings).

Secondly, if there is no OC and if any of the above does not help then definitely run some RAM testing (good old MemTest from a bootable USB stick). A full run will take several hours so let it do its work over night. The RAM MUST pass ALL tests, no exceptions.
I've had a faulty 32GB kit myself not too long ago. My system seemed stable until I noticed a few more crashes than usual, ran MemTest and *bingo*. Shit happens.

20. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 15:18 VaranDragon

This is a pretty much brand new system I built so there is something definitely off about all of it. Will try removing all NVIDIA drivers and reinstalling them tomorrow.

19. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 14:16 The Pyro

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 12:52:
Now I have a different problem. The textures look, really weird. Like there is a tiny grid running through them. It's weird, I can't explain it. Turning off sharepening fixes that, but then they just look muddy.

Sounds like you're describing the Contrast Adaptive Sharpening that gets applied as a post-processing step in order to fix blurry shadows that are rendered at a low resolution. The effect was visible in several official screenshots and, yes, it's ugly. It wasn't visible in all of the screenshots, though, so I'm not sure when it becomes an issue. At least you have a name for it now.

EDIT: This issue was discussed on OutreachHPG a few weeks ago, in case that helps.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2019, 14:33.

18. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 13:35 Darks

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 12:52:
Ok managed to fix the crashing by updating DirectX and launching it directly from the .exe file.

Now I have a different problem. The textures look, really weird. Like there is a tiny grid running through them. It's weird, I can't explain it. Turning off sharepening fixes that, but then they just look muddy. This is on max textures setting. Oh boy...

I didn't notice this on gameplay videos I've seen, maybe its related to the new driver? (I downloaded the gameready drivers released today)

I would suggest that you use DDU to get a clean uninstall of your video drivers. Wipes out all existing drivers like it was installed from day one.

I use it all the time, works like advertised. And this is a recommended tool by EVGA and Nvidia

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

17. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 13:22 Bumpy

They promised VR from the beginning but they dropped it. Indian givers of the year candidate I see.

So many bad moves by the dev, this game can rot in hell at Epic.

16. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 12:57 Burrito of Peace

Quick and dirty:

I'm giving it 7 out of 10 burritos.

Good
- Feels like a Battlemech. Heavy, plodding, and ready to deliver death
- Good, solid Mechwarrior vibe
- Common UI and UX design elements with the Battletech RTS so there is a short learning curve if you have played that.
- Missions so far are varied enough to not yet be repetitive
- You are not constantly on the verge of bankruptcy

Meh
- Graphics are serviceable but neither awesome nor terrible
- Even with bass boost enabled, neither the weapons nor footfalls seem to have enough punch

Bad
- The world you interact with outside of missions is literally lifeless. Everyone is exactly where you left them. It feels very static
- Jensen from Deus Ex is one of your contacts and his voice in no way matches the image of the character he is meant to represent
- I WANT MY JENNER (If you're old, you'll get this)

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

15. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 12:52 VaranDragon

Ok managed to fix the crashing by updating DirectX and launching it directly from the .exe file.

Now I have a different problem. The textures look, really weird. Like there is a tiny grid running through them. It's weird, I can't explain it. Turning off sharepening fixes that, but then they just look muddy. This is on max textures setting. Oh boy...

I didn't notice this on gameplay videos I've seen, maybe its related to the new driver? (I downloaded the gameready drivers released today)

14. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 12:41 CJ_Parker

It has a coop option from the main menu but I have not tried/played it yet.  

13. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released Dec 10, 2019, 12:36 The Half Elf

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 11:38:
FUCK YEAH!

Just played through the tutorial and the 1st mission. I really like it so far. They nailed the BattleTech atmosphere and I like how they have borrowed some UI designs from the BattleTech strategy game. That way you feel right at home in MW5.

Performance at 1440p (144Hz) all maxed out is good on my 9900K, 2080Ti, 32GB RAM and 970EVO Plus SSD. The CPU is bored and stays cool. RAM usage is about 10GB, video memory between 5GB and just under 6GB. Frames per second are very much depending on the on-screen action. They can go up to the near max of 130fps when there is nothing going on and they drop WAY down to the 40s when there is a lot of destruction happening really close by. Most of the time I'm getting 80-ish to 100fps. There is no noticeable stuttering. No crashes or bugs so far.

I have only played with mouse/keyboard for now and the controls are great out of the gate (yo bust a rhyme there, bitches! ). It looks really promising so far but it will take a few more missions to uncover whether the game really has any strategic depth. You can outfit your mechs, negotiate contracts, work on rep etc. but this early on there is no way to tell if your choices really matter. The potential for depth is there, however. It could turn out to be really awesome. We'll see...

My only gripe this early on is that the hangar NPCs are static mutes. It would have been a nice touch if they would at least acknowledge your presence like in most games... like 'good to see you, Sir' or whatever. That's just a minor gripe though. Otherwise there really isn't much to complain about (yet).

I'm looking forward to playing more tonight. Feels good to finally be back in a 'Mech after all these years .

P.S.: The numbers above are with the old 441.20 drivers. I'm gonna install the latest MW5 GameReady ones right now.

Any co-op or multiplayer? I've not kept up with it at all.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >