Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday DOOM! It was (brace yourself) 26 years ago today that id Software's influential first-person shooter was first released on December 10, 1993. As I've mentioned frequently, you would not be reading these words were it not for DOOM, as it was my love for DOOM and DOOM II that inspired me to start a website for QUAKE when it was still in development. So if you're sick of dad jokes, coffee disaster stories, and typos, don't blame me, blame John Carmack, John Romero, Tom Hall, Michael Abrash, Dave Taylor, Sandy Petersen, Adrian Carmack, Kevin Cloud, Shawn Green, Paul Radek, Gregor Punchatz, Jay Wilbur, Donna Jackson, and, of course, Bobby Prince.

Obituary: Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies aged 61.

DOOMed Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: How William Gibson Keeps His Science Fiction Real. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Inside the Outrageously Prestigious World of Falcon Influencers. Thanks Digg.
Stories: 'They' declared 2019 'word of the year' by Merriam-Webster.
NFL probing Patriots video crew at Bengals-Browns; source says it was feature shoot.
Science: Scientists Find a Weak Spot in Some Superbugs' Defenses.
Eat For 10 Hours, Fast For 14: Daily Fasting Helps People Slim Down, Study Finds. Thanks Slashdot.
After Bone Marrow Transplant, Man’s Semen Contains Only Donor’s DNA. Thanks Max.
Media: Why Snatch Blocks are AWESOME (How Pulleys Work).
MotoBASE Jump.
Please Watch These Cats Find Comically Innovative Ways To Make Their Way Through An Invisible Maze.
Follow-up: Dentist who rode hoverboard while pulling tooth faces patient in court.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.
View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2019, 14:40 jdreyer

Ant wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 13:11:
I blame Blue and Frans for this addicting web site.
I blame Ant for all the addicting links he provides.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2019, 02:21 Scheherazade

Doom was wonderful. It actually delayed me using the internet for years because BBS' were where it was played, and the internet was too lossy, so I considered the internet a waste of time.
The nascent "pro" scene back then had a silly feature. Since there was no good way to identify/prove who was playing, each player had a 'dance' they had to learn (in game), so that organizers could challenge a player to demo their dance to verify that it's actually them.
I still sometimes play it on zdaemon.

Shame about the Roxette singer. I still play their songs time to time.

Re : "Please Watch These Cats Find Comically Innovative Ways To Make Their Way Through An Invisible Maze".
This video made me think : "The walls of Eryx" ... with cats.

-scheherazade

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 15:50 chickenboo

SirKnight wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 11:45:
I still remember when I first heard about Doom and its chainsaw weapon (which blew me away) from a friend in the 6th grade. At the time we were all playing Wolf 3D daily on school computers (486's I think). Not too long after I got the shareware copy of Doom and we installed it on all the school's computers and played it until our eyes fell out.

And I still regularly play it to this day. One of the best games ever created, for sure.

I remember my dad excitedly telling me their next game, called Doom, had actual stairs you could climb! It was frankly amazing on release... and still is! No other FPS feels quite as fast.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 14:22 Cutter

Stories like that one on falconry are why I have zero faith in humanity making it.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 14:21 Cutter

Creston wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 13:07:
No, Marie...

So sad, I fucking love Roxette.

Can't say I was a huge fan but I always liked Crash, Boom, Bang.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 14:20 Cutter

Nimh wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 12:32:
Sean Payton gets a year suspension, 750k in fines. Patriots lose a draft pick and get a slap on the wrist. Why wouldn't you cheat again? How many other roaches are in the walls in New England?

And it's not like it's the first time it's happened or they've been caught. That's why they're known as the Cheatriots. Just like the cheaters in any sport there should be an asterisk beside the record of their "accomplishments". That's why Brady isn't the GOAT.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 13:17 RedEye9

We’ll never be sick of the best puns on the internet, The coffee disasters are just a bonus.  

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 13:11 Ant

I blame Blue and Frans for this addicting web site.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 13:07 Creston

No, Marie...

So sad, I fucking love Roxette.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 12:32 Nimh

Sean Payton gets a year suspension, 750k in fines. Patriots lose a draft pick and get a slap on the wrist. Why wouldn't you cheat again? How many other roaches are in the walls in New England?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 12:07 Bill Borre

Kitty commands...
Make a game and call it Doom!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 11:45 SirKnight

I still remember when I first heard about Doom and its chainsaw weapon (which blew me away) from a friend in the 6th grade. At the time we were all playing Wolf 3D daily on school computers (486's I think). Not too long after I got the shareware copy of Doom and we installed it on all the school's computers and played it until our eyes fell out.

And I still regularly play it to this day. One of the best games ever created, for sure.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 11:42 Hoop

And with that Bethesda surprise us with the release of Doom Eternal.....
.........…...And with that Bethesda surprise us with the release of Doom Eternal...………..And with that Bethesda surprise us with the release of Doom Eternal.....

Um .. Behind you...

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >