First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending

The Epic Games Store officially launched one year ago Saturday, disrupting the game marketplace with an attractive royalty structure and an aggressive approach to exclusivity. But as PCGamesN notes, the first EGS exclusives are starting to trickle out to other storefronts, since many of their deals covered the first year of availability. The first is open world co-op action/RPG Ashen, which is now available on GOG.com and Steam. They also note the next couple of games with exclusive periods that will soon conclude:
On December 10, Hades – a mythology-themed roguelike brawler from the makers of Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre – will hit Steam. The game’s gotten some substantial updates since its early launch on Epic, but will still be marked as an Early Access title, and the full launch is scheduled for the “second half of 2020.” No word yet on price or discounts, but Hades is currently $24.99 USD on Epic.

Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek also hits Steam on December 10. The colourful horror prequel got a much more mixed response than Epic’s other two launch exclusives, but you should expect to see it for around $29.99 USD.
View : : :
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending
Dec 12, 2019, 14:04
Kxmode

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 12, 2019, 14:04
Dec 12, 2019, 14:04
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2019, 11:07:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 12, 2019, 09:12:
Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 20:51:
So you have all your games in one place, regardless of shop. Got it.

I see where you're going and the answer is I still don't like Epic's exclusivity nonsense.

Yes, we know, but both reasons you gave were bullshit. You're allowed to dislike things for reasons you cannot articulate or are not rational. Just making sure it's clear that's where we are. Which, again, is fine.

I've consistently articulated the reasons why I dislike EGS exclusivity (ad nauseam) AND I also like Galaxy's game consolidation feature. I can be for Galaxy AND against Epic's exclusivity. They are not mutually inclusive. You're jumping to conclusions.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 12, 2019, 12:35
Verno

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 12, 2019, 12:35
Dec 12, 2019, 12:35
 Verno

Drayth wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 12:47:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 00:04:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 23:07:
Drayth wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 19:28:
This small batch of fanbois who are completely enamored with the EGS (for whatever reason) are fun to watch. The PR speak and projecting of their own biases into their posts and unto others makes for amusing reads.

Can stir a mean pot though, I'll give them that.
It has nothing to do with being enamored with EGS. It has to do with not caring where we buy games. Nobody cares that Walmart sells exclusive Lego sets that aren't sold at Target. They go to Walmart and get the set if they want it.
Your example is spot on.

Well that's interesting, because that's the boat I'm in. Yet it's the EGS crowd that outright bashed the GoG's Galaxy 2.0 launcher (bloated spyuware). Makes a point to shit in Steam related threads. Calls a month to a one year wait on exclusivity a "minor" inconvenience (a week, at most, is minor. A year is a freaking long time). Get stirred up when legitimate criticism are leveed against EGS for not having basic features.

About the most bias I hear concerning Steam is 'I like having all my games in one library'. Not something I share, I prefer GoG over everyone, but still.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. "We dont care where you buy things!" says the 3 pro-EGS people, over and over here. And yet they seem to care way too much if you say you're not going to get something on the EGS for <whatever reason>. It either matters or it doesn't, can't it both ways. If its all just Walmart vs Target then these people be quiet and stop telling the rest of us where to spend our money. And again even that idea is just dumb, as if people don't reward or punish stores in real life for good/behavior and only care about price and nothing else. Other shit matters - return policy, how you're treated, is the store a shit hole, how it treats its employees and so on.

But sure hey its all Walmart who cares. Fine then pipe down and stop acting like it matters so much, practice what you preach.

Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Dec 12, 2019, 11:07
Beamer

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 12, 2019, 11:07
Dec 12, 2019, 11:07
 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 12, 2019, 09:12:

I see where you're going and the answer is I still don't like Epic's exclusivity nonsense.

Yes, we know, but both reasons you gave were bullshit. You're allowed to dislike things for reasons you cannot articulate or are not rational. Just making sure it's clear that's where we are. Which, again, is fine.

Dec 12, 2019, 09:12
Kxmode

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 12, 2019, 09:12
Dec 12, 2019, 09:12
 Kxmode

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 11, 2019, 20:51
Beamer

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 11, 2019, 20:51
Dec 11, 2019, 20:51
 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 18:14:
Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 07:48:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 03:15:
Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 00:49:
Walmart does do that. And you can add egs games to your steam library.

I use GOG Galaxy 2.0.

Do you only play games on gog? Sounds like they're at fault if you can't add games to their launcher

I can play any game on Galaxy, including games not found on any store fronts, like Guild Wars 2. It's easy to add individual games.

Dec 11, 2019, 18:14
Kxmode

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 11, 2019, 18:14
Dec 11, 2019, 18:14
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 07:48:

I use GOG Galaxy 2.0.

Do you only play games on gog? Sounds like they're at fault if you can't add games to their launcher

I can play any game on Galaxy, including games not found on any store fronts, like Guild Wars 2. It's easy to add individual games.

Dec 11, 2019, 12:47
Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 11, 2019, 12:47
Dec 11, 2019, 12:47

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 00:04:
This small batch of fanbois who are completely enamored with the EGS (for whatever reason) are fun to watch. The PR speak and projecting of their own biases into their posts and unto others makes for amusing reads.

It has nothing to do with being enamored with EGS. It has to do with not caring where we buy games. Nobody cares that Walmart sells exclusive Lego sets that aren't sold at Target. They go to Walmart and get the set if they want it.
Your example is spot on.

Well that's interesting, because that's the boat I'm in. Yet it's the EGS crowd that outright bashed the GoG's Galaxy 2.0 launcher (bloated spyuware). Makes a point to shit in Steam related threads. Calls a month to a one year wait on exclusivity a "minor" inconvenience (a week, at most, is minor. A year is a freaking long time). Get stirred up when legitimate criticism are leveed against EGS for not having basic features.

About the most bias I hear concerning Steam is 'I like having all my games in one library'. Not something I share, I prefer GoG over everyone, but still.

Dec 11, 2019, 07:48
Beamer

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 11, 2019, 07:48
Dec 11, 2019, 07:48
 Beamer

I use GOG Galaxy 2.0.

Dec 11, 2019, 05:35
Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 11, 2019, 05:35
Dec 11, 2019, 05:35

Kxmode wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 23:35:
And to take your example further, imagine how that person would feel if Target paid Lego to not sell certain sets at Walmart but only through Lego.com or Target.
Um, that's exactly what Walmart does to get Walmart exclusives: they pay for them. You don't see people protesting that online or otherwise.
Beyond that it's also also about where you play the Legos. People like to keep their Lego collection in a single location.
Everybody plays with their Legos at home, just like we play our games at home. I'm really not following you.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 11, 2019, 03:15
Kxmode

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 11, 2019, 03:15
Dec 11, 2019, 03:15
 Kxmode

I use GOG Galaxy 2.0.

Dec 11, 2019, 00:49
Beamer

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 11, 2019, 00:49
Dec 11, 2019, 00:49
 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 23:35:

And to take your example further, imagine how that person would feel if Target paid Lego to not sell certain sets at Walmart but only through Lego.com or Target.

Beyond that it's also also about where you play the Legos. People like to keep their Lego collection in a single location.

Dec 11, 2019, 00:04
Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 11, 2019, 00:04
Dec 11, 2019, 00:04

Your example is spot on.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Dec 10, 2019, 23:35
Kxmode

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 10, 2019, 23:35
Dec 10, 2019, 23:35
 Kxmode

Dec 10, 2019, 23:07
Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 10, 2019, 23:07
Dec 10, 2019, 23:07

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 10, 2019, 19:28
Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 10, 2019, 19:28
Dec 10, 2019, 19:28

Dec 10, 2019, 16:04
Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 10, 2019, 16:04
Dec 10, 2019, 16:04

Kxmode wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 13:44:
It's not about exclusivity restricting choice. It's about exclusivity out-right taking away choice. Do you understand now?

Absolutely and the publishers who are making deals with Epic are merely restricting choice because...

1) Fact. All you have to do to play the game during the "exclusivity" period is buy it on EGS or a key store selling EGS keys. Simple, painless. It is a very minor restriction that also applies to thousands of retail games that are tied to Steam and only have the Steam launcher on the disk.

2) Fact. This very minor EGS-required restriction is lifted after a certain period of time. Sometimes after only a couple of months, sometimes after a year at the latest.

3) Fact. The only ones outright taking away choice are Valve because they have never published any of their games anywhere else.

Comprendes amigo???

Dec 10, 2019, 13:44
Kxmode

Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 10, 2019, 13:44
Dec 10, 2019, 13:44
 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 08:34:
When I say Steam 'elitist' I'm not referring to wealth at all but to the exclusive thinking which is strikingly ironic.

I want all of my games on Steam only and I will only buy the Steam version of any game but EGS doing exclusives is TEH DEVIL INCARNATE!!!

^ LOLZ @ Steam elitists

It's like herding sheep... So, once again,

1. Fact. Most people who use Steam also use another store.
2. Fact. Most people who use Steam are not wealthy.

What part of #1 did you not understand?

It's not about exclusivity restricting choice. It's about exclusivity out-right taking away choice. Do you understand now?

Dec 10, 2019, 12:09
Re: First Epic Games Store Exclusives Ending Dec 10, 2019, 12:09
Dec 10, 2019, 12:09

So they take a big payday by going Epic exclusive in an unfinished state. Then they release to Steam.. as an Early Access title. Talk about a double dip! This is the future of games development:

1) Release Kickstarter campaign and promise Steam keys, use part of proceeds to...
2) Release Fig campaign and promise Steam keys
3) Take Epic Games Store payout to guarantee alpha/beta build exclusivity to their store
4) Release on Steam as an Early Access title which allows you to make naturally-occurring constant build updates to spring to the front page over and over again
5) Finally release as V1.0 and have a big banner ad on Steam

Re: Anti-consumerism
Dec 10, 2019, 12:06
Re: Anti-consumerism Dec 10, 2019, 12:06
Dec 10, 2019, 12:06

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 11:59:
JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 09:53:
Once a game is listed as "exclusive" to a platform, any platform, it should be forever boycotted by users of any other platform. This is the only way to fight this anti-consumer behavior in any meaningful way.

You need to start with Valve games then. Valve is the only publisher that also owns a digital storefront who has NEVER released a game outside of Steam.
Ubi, EA, Beth, Rockstar and even Blizztard (by bringing the first Diablo to GOG recently) have published their games on other platforms. The only publisher (with a storefront) that is keeping their games 100% exclusive to this day is Valve. Valve are the true granddaddies and grandmasters of exclusivity.

That's true, but Valve own the most successful store front. They have little to gain by putting it up for sale on other store fronts. It would be nice to have them post their games to GOG though... maybe a petition should be begun on that front.

Re: Anti-consumerism
Dec 10, 2019, 11:59
Re: Anti-consumerism Dec 10, 2019, 11:59
Dec 10, 2019, 11:59

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 09:53:
Once a game is listed as "exclusive" to a platform, any platform, it should be forever boycotted by users of any other platform. This is the only way to fight this anti-consumer behavior in any meaningful way.

You need to start with Valve games then. Valve is the only publisher that also owns a digital storefront who has NEVER released a game outside of Steam.
Ubi, EA, Beth, Rockstar and even Blizztard (by bringing the first Diablo to GOG recently) have published their games on other platforms. The only publisher (with a storefront) that is keeping their games 100% exclusive to this day is Valve. Valve are the true granddaddies and grandmasters of exclusivity.
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older