Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta

GOG.com now offers GOG GALAXY 2.0, which is now available to all as an open beta. This is the new version of the game launcher for their DRM-free store that is also designed to organize your entire game library, including those hosted on other services. Here's word:
Let’s put an end to resource-heavy clients running all the time and us juggling between multiple apps to access our games and see what our friends are playing. GOG GALAXY 2.0 conveniently shows you all your games as one library and makes it easier than ever to stay in touch with your friends across PC and console platforms.

“For the past few years, we’ve seen continuous fragmentation of our game collections and gaming friends lists, further proving the need for an application that unites them all,” says Piotr Karwowski, Managing Director at GOG. “And I’m sure there are even more clients and launchers on the way,” Karwowski adds. “We’re amazed and thankful for the reaction from the community to the app and taking it even further by creating integrations with 20 gaming platforms – allowing everyone to see all their games and friends in GOG GALAXY 2.0.”

The closed beta brought numerous big updates like seeing friends’ online status from different platforms in GOG GALAXY 2.0 or adding Global Search. The latter allows multiple options – finding games and friends, launching games with a single press of a key and giving the ability to manually add any game to the library.
View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 10, 2019, 14:00 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 08:52:
[snipped]

Thank you for presenting a well-written and illogical argument of conspiracy theories.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 10, 2019, 08:52 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 20:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 19:51:
They can shove their launcher spyware where the sun don't shine. I have hundreds of games spread over many platforms but I definitely do not need a spyware package disguised as a unified launcher (which it even isn't given all the drawbacks... it's just more bloat, not less).

What in the world is wrong with you, Parker?! They made the point crystal clear on the website that the app doesn't spy on or share your data, and that your data belongs to you. It's under the "Your Privacy" section. And to make the point even more clearer, they include this in the FAQ section: "Will GOG GALAXY 2.0 spy on my computer? No. We’re not in the business of users' data. GOG GALAXY 2.0 is only importing information from connected platforms – you always know what is imported through official integrations. Additionally we’ve made the community created integrations open-source, to ensure the transparency of imported data." Once again you show how ignorant you are. This time it wasn't even that hard. All you had to do was visit and read the website to be informed. It takes less than 10 minutes.

Thanks for making my point for me by quoting the relevant part.

You do realize that what they are basically saying is "Well, we do not eeeexactly spy on you but we still store your data, of course".

Yeah, they promise not to sell that data but I see no reason why I should give it to them? Why? What's the point? Of course they will use it for their own analytical purposes and marketing strategies. Even if they do not outright sell any data they will use their analysis in negotiations with third parties and in building their business.

Also, why should I even trust them in the first place? What they say and what they do could be two completely different things. CD Projekt have been caught doing stupid things and lying before (see Witcher 3 Xbox CE "drama" or their "funny" stunt when they announced GOG is shutting down). Or their two-faced DRM policies which were like "Yeah we don't put DRM on our games because we think piracy isn't such a big deal cuz good games always sell but to be sure we still work with law firms to sue the ass off of anyone who steals our games" (story).

There is no reason to be super-naive just because they have released a few pretty good games. They are a publicly traded corp like any other except their marketing model is "we are the good, pro gamer guys" but then they have the same MTX in Gwent as Blizztard has in Hearthstone.

Finally, and of course this is just anecdotal but still... GOG is the only gaming storefront where I have repeatedly received e-mails over a period of about two years (every few months) that a Russian IP has tried to access my account. I have 2FA active on GOG so my account was never really in danger but GOG must have had a breach/leak at some point.

All in all I see absolutely no point in this additional client bloat. I'm not (yet) senile enough to not know where a certain game of mine is located even though I use Steam, GOG, B.net, EGS, Origin, uPlay, R*L and the Bethesda client. I have desktop shortcuts to my games. It just works. I have zero need for GOG 2.0 bloat and its extra data collection.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2019, 09:09.

20. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 10, 2019, 03:28 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 03:08:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 00:55:
Also still no ability to link 2 uPlay accounts....

Give it time. The app just launched. Those improvements will come.

I'd rather if it actually.. you know.. worked ;/
Go signal boost me

19. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 10, 2019, 03:08 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 10, 2019, 00:55:

Give it time. The app just launched. Those improvements will come.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 10, 2019, 02:57 Kxmode

DrEvil wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 23:43:
Only missing integrations for me are:
* beamdog
* battle.net

1. Download the battle.net integration package for windows.zip or macos.zip.

2. Visit %localappdata%\GOG.com\Galaxy\plugins\installed on windows or ~/Library/Application Support/GOG.com/Galaxy/plugins/installed on mac

3. Create a folder called battlenet.

4. Unpack the zip into either folder.

5. Launch GOG Galaxy, or if Galaxy is already opened exit and relaunch it.

6. Go to Settings > Add Games & Friends > Connect Platforms

7. Battle.net should now appear in the list. Add your Battle.net credentials on your games will load into the app.

Screenshots
- raw load
- Tag sorted
- Blizzard games appearing alongside games from GOG and Steam

Madness! I love how Galaxy separates WOW Classic from Retail.

17. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 10, 2019, 00:58 Orogogus

Something I don't like about the GOG beta is that you don't seem to be able to jump through your games list by typing in the first letters of the game title, like you can do in Steam or Windows Explorer.  

16. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 10, 2019, 00:55 eRe4s3r

Works great here /s
https://i.imgur.com/N3WRlPy.jpg

This bug apparently linked to image sharpening in the driver + Wallpaper Engine (where nothing gets sharpened, FYI) so this is a Galaxy interaction bug

can't be arsed to report that officially.. blegh

15. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 23:57 Verno

JSP wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 23:09:
I fail to see what's the point. You still need to interect with the specific clients to do anything other than inaccurate and scant analytics (who really cares) and check better offers or sales. Waste of time, just make desktop icons of games you own and put them on Windows 10 tile.

It's attempting to be a universal launcher that ties everything together into a neat package. I can trigger installation of games in my library without worrying about what client I bought it on, see my friends lists and so on. If you don't mind playing the ever increasing launcher game then obviously don't install this. It's just a convenience thing.

Some people don't mind platform fragmentation and some people do. Personally I think its pretty slick and well implemented.

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office

14. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 23:43 DrEvil

I like it; I've been using the closed beta for a while now. My only grump is that the store interface won't show when you already own a game on another platform other than gog.com.

Currently, I'm using integrations for:
* gog.com
* Origin
* Xbox
* Epic
* Uplay
* Steam
* Bethesda
* Paradox
* Humble Bundle
* Minecraft
* itch.io

Which makes life a lot simpler since now I don't have to remember which launcher to use or have them all start up.

I've got 1,671 unique game titles according to it, 457 of which are duplicates apparently.

Only missing integrations for me are:
* beamdog
* battle.net

13. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 23:11 Kxmode

Wow! This is neat. Super easy to use. Support for

GOG
Xbox Live
Epic Games Store
Origin
Playstation Network
Steam
Uplay

All the game appear together! And then you can put them into categories so it doesn't matter which platform they're from. THAT is quite literally the reason why I hated Epic Game's exclusivity. With this launcher, it renders exclusivity meaningless.

12. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 23:09 JSP

I fail to see what's the point. You still need to interect with the specific clients to do anything other than inaccurate and scant analytics (who really cares) and check better offers or sales. Waste of time, just make desktop icons of games you own and put them on Windows 10 tile.  

11. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 23:03 Verno

They can shove their launcher spyware where the sun don't shine. I have hundreds of games spread over many platforms but I definitely do not need a spyware package disguised as a unified launcher (which it even isn't given all the drawbacks... it's just more bloat, not less).

Obviously haven't even used it, well done as usual CJ.

And no the client doesn't put itself in startup without your permission. I just did it in a VM to double check.

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office

10. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 22:58 BIGtrouble77

I just linked everything up for the hell of it and it's freaking awesome. The client is much cleaner than Steams, the other store integrations are seamless and there are a plethora of filters that make managing my massive library way easier. I'm impressed so far, but I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep things setup this way.  

9. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 22:26 Mr. Tact

MeanJim wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 22:14:
I got into the closed beta during the first week, and have used old Galaxy too since it's beta, and it has never put itself into startup unless you tell it to during install. Besides, it's an optional client. Unless it's a game that has Galaxy features, I pretty much use it as a downloader for the offline installers and extras.
If it asked I missed it. I don't think that happened, but I can't say definitively. It did allow me to change the settings so it won't startup on a boot. But it leaves a process in place when you exit, which is a annoying.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 22:14 MeanJim

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 20:57:
They can shove their launcher spyware where the sun don't shine.
I was about to whine about their launcher, I mean come on, even Steam doesn't install a client into your Windows startup without saying anything. I was disappointed when I finally made my first purchase ever from them recently...

I got into the closed beta during the first week, and have used old Galaxy too since it's beta, and it has never put itself into startup unless you tell it to during install. Besides, it's an optional client. Unless it's a game that has Galaxy features, I pretty much use it as a downloader for the offline installers and extras.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 21:06 ForgedReality

lululululul you're a fucking wack-job.

6. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 20:57 Mr. Tact

They can shove their launcher spyware where the sun don't shine.
I was about to whine about their launcher, I mean come on, even Steam doesn't install a client into your Windows startup without saying anything. I was disappointed when I finally made my first purchase ever from them recently...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 20:56 Kxmode

Rhialto wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 20:37:
Got closed beta about 3 weeks ago and never managed to link to Steam and others because I'm just unsure of security and all... could giving credentials open the door to something unexpected? I think I'll wait a bit more now that open beta is here.

The website addresses security by making it abundantly clear neither they or the app spy on or use your data for anything, nor do they share your data. If this were Epic (Chinese ties) or Microsoft (first tech company to sign up for NSA PRISM), that'd be one thing. But this is CD Projekt Red. They earned gamers' trust by putting us ahead of corporate interest. In other words, I trust them.

It's a game launcher that aggregates all your games together, nothing more or less (for now). In the blurb, CDPR said they saw a need to bring game collections together under one app. That's the short term. I'm sure the long-term goal is to get the app to the point where you can buy games from other stores for a small convenience fee. Even more so, show prices from different stores so you can decide which has the best price. If it gets to that level, that will render Epic's exclusivity meaningless.

4. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 20:49 Kxmode

What in the world is wrong with you, Parker?! They made the point crystal clear on the website that the app doesn't spy on or share your data, and that your data belongs to you. It's under the "Your Privacy" section. And to make the point even more clearer, they include this in the FAQ section: "Will GOG GALAXY 2.0 spy on my computer? No. We’re not in the business of users' data. GOG GALAXY 2.0 is only importing information from connected platforms – you always know what is imported through official integrations. Additionally we’ve made the community created integrations open-source, to ensure the transparency of imported data." Once again you show how ignorant you are. This time it wasn't even that hard. All you had to do was visit and read the website to be informed. It takes less than 10 minutes.

3. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 20:37 Rhialto

Got closed beta about 3 weeks ago and never managed to link to Steam and others because I'm just unsure of security and all... could giving credentials open the door to something unexpected? I think I'll wait a bit more now that open beta is here.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >