Out of the Blue

I'm torn on the topic of whether or not releasing the entire season of a TV series in one drop is a positive or a negative. A good argument for not is my enjoyment of The Watchmen, which is turning out to be pretty amazing, and I am happy to have some time to digest each episode and anticipate the next one. On the other hand, season three of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel just came out, and MrsBlue and I plowed through all eight episodes in two sittings, and loved every minute of it. Perhaps the answer to this is not to be found in those two examples, as one show is quite heavy and steeped in mystery, while the other is lighter fare well suited to binging.

Obituary: Chicago rapper Juice WRLD dies at 21.

Bingeworthy Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: You can do nearly anything you want in this incredible AI-powered game. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: Dentist in Alaska allegedly rode hoverboard while extracting patient's tooth. Thanks Neutronbeam.
'Secondhand' Author Adam Minter Tracks What Happens To Your Used Stuff. Thanks Max.
The “burp-talking” in Rick and Morty isn’t as meaningless as you might think. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Scientists surprised to discover women lacking olfactory bulbs can smell just fine. Thanks Max.
Blowing Bubbles: New Way to Launch and Drive Current in Fusion Plasmas Confirmed. Thanks Max.
'Ultimate hangover cure' discovered by scientists who say coffee won't help - Daily Star. Thanks Max.
Surgeons Transplant a Testicle From One Brother to His Twin. Ballsy move. Thanks Max.
Media: Free Guy - Official Trailer - 20th Century FOX.
The Tata Nano is One of The Cheapest Cars Ever Produced.
GTA in Real life.
Blue.
Auctions: $120K banana artwork gobbled up by New York-based performance artist.
The Funnies: The Truth About Skype.
View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Chicago rapper Juice WRLD dies at 21
Dec 9, 2019, 13:54
Kxmode

Re: Chicago rapper Juice WRLD dies at 21 Dec 9, 2019, 13:54
Dec 9, 2019, 13:54
 Kxmode

You like-a da juice, yeah?
The juice is good, ah?
I get you more juice!
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 9, 2019, 11:52
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2019, 11:52
Dec 9, 2019, 11:52

You guys rock. Thanks for the kind words.
Not to worry, I won’t be competing with oilfield workers and their sleep deficit on the highway.
I had a more succinct and thorough post but my very own sleep deprived ass evaporated it by accident. (And this iPad is fighting me every step of the way)
Later
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Dec 9, 2019, 09:59
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2019, 09:59
Dec 9, 2019, 09:59

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 08:41:
Fuuuuuuudge I’m wiped.
I took an ex to the ER (level 4 trauma) at 2130 for abdominal pain where she got morphine. They suspected gallstones and wanted to starflight her 150 miles to a level 2. That’s >$20k and it ain’t even the Concorde so at 0200 I drove her ama (not really ama, the doc was ok with it)
It’s now 0730, she’s riding the fentanyl cloud and I’m at the Starbucks in the hospital with my iPad living the American dream. I’m so sleepy Sleeping I don’t miss working nights.

You are a solid friend. Get some sleep before you attempt to drive home. I want you around to sling shit at for the foreseeable future.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Dec 9, 2019, 09:33
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2019, 09:33
Dec 9, 2019, 09:33

Fuuuuuuudge I’m wiped.
I took an ex to the ER (level 4 trauma) at 2130 for abdominal pain where she got morphine. They suspected gallstones and wanted to starflight her 150 miles to a level 2. That’s >$20k and it ain’t even the Concorde so at 0200 I drove her ama (not really ama, the doc was ok with it)
It’s now 0730, she’s riding the fentanyl cloud and I’m at the Starbucks in the hospital with my iPad living the American dream. I’m so sleepy Sleeping I don’t miss working nights.

That's some adventure. You're a good friend. A medical emergency in the middle of a Sunday night is pretty much a worst-case scenario. I hope your ex feels better soon. Good luck catching up on your sleep.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Dec 9, 2019, 08:50
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2019, 08:50
Dec 9, 2019, 08:50

Fuuuuuuudge I’m wiped.
Been there, done that, with my sister -- in her case we thought it might be a reoccurance of pancreatitis which she had experienced a few years earlier. After all the tests came back at normal levels it wasn't clear to anyone what it had been. We were both a bit shocked with they gave her fentanyl, we both were like, "Uh what? I thought that instantly turned you into a junkie.." And yeah, working nights is not for wimps. Did it when I was young and it was "okay" but I never had a regular sleep cycle when I was doing it. Good luck to both you and your ex.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Dec 9, 2019, 08:41
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2019, 08:41
Dec 9, 2019, 08:41

Fuuuuuuudge I’m wiped.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Re: Out of the Blue - Watchmen
Dec 9, 2019, 08:20
Re: Out of the Blue - Watchmen Dec 9, 2019, 08:20
Dec 9, 2019, 08:20

I am not subscribing to eleventy hojillion different streaming services for the one show that might not suck on each particular streaming service. "The Mandalorian" is awesome but the rest of the content of Disney+ is not, for example. Let me get just that one show and you'll get my money. Otherwise, I'll board the good ship VPN and hoist the flag of Jack Rackham to watch the content that interests me.

I bailed on "Watchmen" after the first episode because it committed the worst cardinal sin any show can. The first episode was boring. It brought absolutely nothing new to the table. Also, as I have mentioned previously, I am burned out on superhero shit so it needed to be compelling to set itself apart from what has come before it...it wasn't and it didn't.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Re: Out of the Blue - Watchmen
Dec 9, 2019, 06:39
Re: Out of the Blue - Watchmen Dec 9, 2019, 06:39
Dec 9, 2019, 06:39

I can't watch that show, tried the first 3 episodes.

In the show you can't trust anyone, the whole fabric of society is in a chaotic death spiral, racism is rampant, frequent mass killings...

way to close to the direction this country is headed.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Dec 8, 2019, 22:38
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 22:38
Dec 8, 2019, 22:38

jdreyer wrote on Dec 8, 2019, 19:24:
'Ultimate hangover cure' discovered by scientists who say coffee won't help

Of course coffee won't help, like alcohol it's a diuretic.

Coffee is not a diuretic, that's an old myth that's been debunked. Just drink a lot of water, or better yet, don't drink so much that you get hung over.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Dec 8, 2019, 21:27
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 21:27
Dec 8, 2019, 21:27

jdreyer wrote on Dec 8, 2019, 19:03:
Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2019, 13:44:
From a financial standpoint for the company it obviously makes more sense to run them weekly. I'm trying Disney+ for Dec. but they don't have near enough content to keep me around. I think I'm about done with Netflix for a while too. I can see myself just grabbing it for a month here and there every several months after more content has been added and just binge watch. I suspect there's a fair amount of that going on.
Agreed. At some point the streaming services are going to force you to sign up for a year at a time. Or at least offer massive discounts if you do.

they already do. i swore i wasn't gonna get disney+ until mando finished, but they offered a year for $60 on cybermonday and i couldn't resist.

Dec 8, 2019, 19:24
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 19:24
Dec 8, 2019, 19:24

'Ultimate hangover cure' discovered by scientists who say coffee won't help

Of course coffee won't help, like alcohol it's a diuretic. I usually drink a liter or so of Cytomax if I've been out drinking. Replaces fluids and electrolytes.

Still that cure sounds pretty simple.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 8, 2019, 19:05
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 19:05
Dec 8, 2019, 19:05

afka Rossini wrote on Dec 8, 2019, 15:58:
To binge or not to binge? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous marathons. Or to take arms against a sea of morning coffee. To sleep. Perchance to dream of fan theories to post before the next episode drops.

For shows I really like, part of the fun of having weekly episodes is reading the discussion and speculation on Reddit. I'm think The Expanse was saved because of the community built that way.

Okay, that was a really good paraphrase of Shakespeare.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 8, 2019, 19:03
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 19:03
Dec 8, 2019, 19:03

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2019, 13:44:
From a financial standpoint for the company it obviously makes more sense to run them weekly. I'm trying Disney+ for Dec. but they don't have near enough content to keep me around. I think I'm about done with Netflix for a while too. I can see myself just grabbing it for a month here and there every several months after more content has been added and just binge watch. I suspect there's a fair amount of that going on.
Agreed. At some point the streaming services are going to force you to sign up for a year at a time. Or at least offer massive discounts if you do.

Dec 8, 2019, 18:40
NKD
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 18:40
Dec 8, 2019, 18:40
NKD

I like the season at a time release schedule. I like to watch around an episode a day when a new season of something drops. Rarely do I watch more than one episode in a sitting, unless I'm trying to catch up on something.
Old man trouble back again
Fucking up my plans like oh no, oh no,
I'm back to the black again
Gettin fucked up again, oh no, oh no.

Dec 8, 2019, 18:17
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 18:17
Dec 8, 2019, 18:17

PHJF wrote on Dec 8, 2019, 17:32:

For shows I really like, part of the fun of having weekly episodes is reading the discussion and speculation on Reddit. I'm think The Expanse was saved because of the community built that way.

Speculation about a show based on a series of already published novels?
Reddit actually ran two separate episode threads. One for those who read the books and one for those who didn't. Even then there was a lot to talk about; characters who weren't in the TV show or mashed into one character; the reordering of content, etc. Plus the cast, costumes, special effects, depiction of space battles, amongst other things.

"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.

Dec 8, 2019, 17:32
PHJF

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 17:32
Dec 8, 2019, 17:32
 PHJF

Speculation about a show based on a series of already published novels?
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Dec 8, 2019, 15:58
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 15:58
Dec 8, 2019, 15:58

To binge or not to binge? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous marathons. Or to take arms against a sea of morning coffee. To sleep. Perchance to dream of fan theories to post before the next episode drops.

"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.

Dec 8, 2019, 14:12
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 14:12
Dec 8, 2019, 14:12

As far as I'm concerned, the dump or spread release is a matter of how the series is structured. You really can't do a "One size fits all (or most)" declaration for something like this.

For content providers like Netflix or Disney there's a clear benefit to spreading out a series over multiple subscription periods.

Dec 8, 2019, 13:44
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 13:44
Dec 8, 2019, 13:44
 Cutter

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Dec 8, 2019, 13:31
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 13:31
Dec 8, 2019, 13:31

Greater love hath no man...
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older