Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 8, 2019, 21:25 Razumen

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 23:15:
Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 22:32:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 22:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 19:59:
The best -lawyers- liars money can buy.
Disgusting Applies to both links

Are you serious? The only person defamed by the comments was Musk himself so there's no damages to collect. Being an idiot and saying something dumb doesn't mean the "victim" is entitled to $200m.

So you're a pedophile and okay with people acknowledging that fact, right?
I always find it funny how Canadians think they understand how freedom of speech works in the US. Here's a tip, it's nothing like Canada.I'm a dual citizen and have lived in both countries.

Apparently you don't either, because false statements of fact that harm the reputation of an individual or business, aren't protected under Constitutional Free Speech provisions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 14:46 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Dec 7, 2019, 14:44:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 7, 2019, 09:49:
Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 21:31:
I'm okay with the verdict myself. The amount of damages asked for was ludicrous.
They could have said he was guilty but awarded a far more reasonable amount, say a couple of million at most. Which as far as the money is concerned would mean essentially nothing to Musk, but on the other hand would tie a conviction around his neck. That would have been a pleasing result in my opinion. Oh well....
Was it a criminal case, or a civil one?
I assume it was a civil action. So, perhaps "conviction" wasn't the correct word, but frankly Musk isn't worth the effort necessary to lookup the correct one.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 14:44 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 7, 2019, 09:49:
I'm okay with the verdict myself. The amount of damages asked for was ludicrous.
They could have said he was guilty but awarded a far more reasonable amount, say a couple of million at most. Which as far as the money is concerned would mean essentially nothing to Musk, but on the other hand would tie a conviction around his neck. That would have been a pleasing result in my opinion. Oh well....

Was it a criminal case, or a civil one?

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

19. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 13:39 Red886

imagine if the guy won the defamation suit. Next thing would be getting sued for posting 'y r u gey' memes

18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 10:56 Sacrifex

So, not just a pedophile, but one that needs two first world countries worth of children? Come on Cutter, give some respect where it's due.  

17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 09:56 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Dec 7, 2019, 07:07:
I wonder if that's like the difference in meaning of the word "cunt" in the US and the UK.
Interesting. I had no idea the word was less gendered in the UK and Australia.

16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 09:49 Mr. Tact

15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 08:00 Burrito of Peace

So pedo guy is upset that pedo guy lost his lawsuit about being called pedo guy with, or without, evidence that he is, in fact, a pedo guy. Now, the question is, will this be a precedence where you can call any guy pedo guy or, rather, that this ruling solely applies to pedo guy being called pedo guy.

In any event, I wonder if pedo guy is going to appeal his status as pedo guy or will he simply accept being pedo guy until the end of his days.

At any rate...pedo guy.

pedo. guy.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 07:07 jdreyer

"Mr Musk told the court this week the phrase "pedo guy" was common in South Africa, where he grew up."

I wonder if that's like the difference in meaning of the word "cunt" in the US and the UK.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 06:27 Beamer

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 22:58:

Are you serious? The only person defamed by the comments was Musk himself so there's no damages to collect. Being an idiot and saying something dumb doesn't mean the "victim" is entitled to $200m.

So because you just called him a pedophile do you need to pay him $190 million?

Yes, but the claimed damages have nothing to do with what the jury found. Their options weren't "this is fine" or "200 million." It could have been "Musk was wrong, but only $5 million wrong."

That guy is such an asshole, and now we can probably legally call him a pedophile.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 02:42 Prez

I'm no fan of Musk by any means - like most billionaire visionaries he's an unstable weirdo - but I had a hard time sympathizing with the "pedo guy" from the start because he was very publicly an asshole to Musk and that just wasn't necessary, whether Musk's offer to help was just a publicity stunt or not. Since this whole sordid mess started Musk has been the one who has looked like an ass, not "pedo guy", so there was no real evidence to be brought forth that showed he was a "victim" of anything other than a childish insult given in a childish argument that he started.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 01:58 VaranDragon

Maybe there was some truth to the statements? Next up. Diver brought up on Pedo charges...lol  

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2019, 00:46 NKD

That's surprising. I thought they'd be able to play on the jury's emotions a bit more, but it seems like it backfired. The jury said they felt like they were focusing too much on emotions and not evidence. (Presumably evidence of the harm caused?)

That said, these cases are always difficult for the person filing suit to win in the US.

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2019, 23:15 BIGtrouble77

I always find it funny how Canadians think they understand how freedom of speech works in the US. Here's a tip, it's nothing like Canada.I'm a dual citizen and have lived in both countries.

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2019, 23:14 shinchan0s

Elon Musk definitely called the diver a pedophile (Musk told Buzzfeed that he's a child rapist who married a 12 year old), but it's hard to find that there were any damages.

Anyway, the diver's a hero. Musk is just another rich asshole.

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2019, 22:58 Prez

So because you just called him a pedophile do you need to pay him $190 million?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2019, 22:32 Cutter

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2019, 22:02 BIGtrouble77

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2019, 21:31 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2019, 20:15 Creston

Dafuq??????????????????????????????????

US juries to people of the world: "If you're rich, feel free to slander whomever you want, we got your back."

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >