Out of the Blue

Good news about your favorite teams can be hard to come by lately if, like me, you are a fan of the New York Mets and the New York Giants. But today is an exception. For the Giants, the silver lining in the high ankle sprain suffered by quarterback Daniel Jones that means it's "very likely" that Eli Manning will start on Monday against the Eagles. This will give fans a chance to say farewell to Jones' beloved predecessor, who was MVP in a pair of Super Bowl victories. There may be a little b.s. going on to exaggerate the severity of the injury to make this happen, but either way, it's welcome. It is highly unlikely Eli will be with the team next year, and I hope they will mark his departure by retiring the number 10. This was previously worn by a couple of other Giants luminaries: hall-of-famer Fran Tarkenton and the under-appreciated Brad Van Pelt, who played back when linebackers were still allowed to wear such a number. The news for the Mets is probably even more significant, as rumors swirl that billionaire Steve Cohen is looking to increase his stake in the hapless baseball club to a majority share. The team has suffered terribly since the finances of its owners were derailed by the Bernie Madoff scandal, and it would nice if they were owned by someone who could actually afford to the kind of high-finance that running a major franchise in the world's largest media market demands.

Obituary: Edge editor Jason Brookes.

Optimistic Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Remember ‘Command And Conquer’? No? Okay Then.
Science: NASA's closest-ever Sun flybys reveal how solar wind works.
Researchers create lung 'blueprint' that could aid organ regeneration.
Heart in a Box: Device used to revive heart for transplant will increase donor pool, doctors say.
Media: The Big Lebowser.
Driver Who Drove From New York To Los Angeles In 27.5 Hours Explains How His Team Evaded The Police.
Front Suspension Leaning Trike.
Follow-up: The Arctic Is Warming Much Faster Than the Rest of Earth.
Fake Meat vs. Real Meat. Meat producers looking out for your health. Thanks j.c.f.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 9, 2019, 18:25
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2019, 18:25
Dec 9, 2019, 18:25

*sigh*..
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Dec 9, 2019, 16:58
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2019, 16:58
Dec 9, 2019, 16:58
 Kxmode

bigspender wrote on Dec 7, 2019, 17:51:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 7, 2019, 01:38:
I was thinking more along the lines of Monsanto's Frankinseeds and Round-Up. Things like this. There's evidence Bayer and Monsanto's products create Colony Collapse Disorder, which is a big deal considering bees pollinate 80% of the world's plants including 90 different food crops.

Oh yeah man, Monsanto's GMO stuff is insane. They've even managed to destroy soil somehow. Killing dirt, that's impressive.

Mono-crops and not giving the soil time to recover are a significant problem contributing to soil death. When nutrients are taken from the soil and not replaced, this greatly diminishes its ability to grow crops. Further, not growing a variety of crops together can exacerbate the problem with soil nutrient loss. Farmers who do not give their soil time to recover its ph balance essentially rape the land of all the nutrients. To meet the demand, they use toxic replacements like Monsanto and Bayer or non-organic fertilizers. If people followed the Bible, they would understand that Jehovah God, who created the earth and knows it better than anyone else, would note the compulsory Sabbath rest for the land every seventh year to allow the soil to restore its fertility. (Exodus 23:10, 11; Leviticus 25:3-7) If farmers just let their land rest for a year every seventh year, they would see remarkable improvements. A person doesn't have to be religious to understand the wisdom of it.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 7, 2019, 17:51
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2019, 17:51
Dec 7, 2019, 17:51

Kxmode wrote on Dec 7, 2019, 01:38:
bigspender wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 17:06:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 16:22:
Dash wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 03:10:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 19:30:
"Fake Meat vs. Real Meat. Meat producers looking out for your health." They sure are!

... 'Onion News Network'. Eh. Weird how they're working towards lab-grown meat.

Pretty sure that's going to have a long term negative effect on the human body.

Like normal meat does?

There's 500 studies every year (since 1974) showing how meat damages the human body. You of course never hear about them unless you happen to read a range of medical journals (and who the hell does that? lol). But the news certainly doesn't report on it, because it would hurt their sponsors, and also the audience isn't anywhere near scientifically literate enough to understand the details (I struggle myself sometimes since I'm not a doctor).

The nice thing about lab grown meat is that they'll be able to remove the things that cause us harm, however, I have a feeling it will impact the taste. Like PHJF said, it's the fat that makes things taste good. But perhaps they'll be able to remove all of the mammalian hormones from the meat, such as the naturally occurring estrogen.

They also won't have to pump the meat full of anti-biotics (99% of antibiotics in the world are used by farms yay)

What I assume will happen is that people will buy lab grown meat as pet food, because people lovers probably like the idea of not having to kill other animals to feed their own. So that might be one way to test for any potential health effects.

I was thinking more along the lines of Monsanto's Frankinseeds and Round-Up. Things like this. There's evidence Bayer and Monsanto's products create Colony Collapse Disorder, which is a big deal considering bees pollinate 80% of the world's plants including 90 different food crops.

Oh yeah man, Monsanto's GMO stuff is insane. They've even managed to destroy soil somehow. Killing dirt, that's impressive.

Dec 7, 2019, 01:38
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2019, 01:38
Dec 7, 2019, 01:38
 Kxmode

bigspender wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 17:06:
"Fake Meat vs. Real Meat. Meat producers looking out for your health." They sure are!

Like normal meat does?

There's 500 studies every year (since 1974) showing how meat damages the human body. You of course never hear about them unless you happen to read a range of medical journals (and who the hell does that? lol). But the news certainly doesn't report on it, because it would hurt their sponsors, and also the audience isn't anywhere near scientifically literate enough to understand the details (I struggle myself sometimes since I'm not a doctor).

The nice thing about lab grown meat is that they'll be able to remove the things that cause us harm, however, I have a feeling it will impact the taste. Like PHJF said, it's the fat that makes things taste good. But perhaps they'll be able to remove all of the mammalian hormones from the meat, such as the naturally occurring estrogen.

They also won't have to pump the meat full of anti-biotics (99% of antibiotics in the world are used by farms yay)

What I assume will happen is that people will buy lab grown meat as pet food, because people lovers probably like the idea of not having to kill other animals to feed their own. So that might be one way to test for any potential health effects.

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 6, 2019, 22:56
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2019, 22:56
Dec 6, 2019, 22:56

That was one of the best onions I've ever seen.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Dec 6, 2019, 17:06
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2019, 17:06
Dec 6, 2019, 17:06

Like normal meat does?

Dec 6, 2019, 16:54
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2019, 16:54
Dec 6, 2019, 16:54

PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 07:54:
My GF has been vegetarian for some time, and since everything I cook I cook for the both of us, I haven't actually cooked meat in a long while. We are trying not to eat out as often in an effort to have better diets, so I find myself around meat less often. Easy to forgo something which isn't there.

We actually found ourselves in a Korean restaurant the other night (Koreans are famous meat addicts) and both settled on a vegetarian hot pot with tofu that wasn't that bad (they topped it with an egg so it at least had some kind of fatty flavor).

In my experience, the worst thing you can do trying to eat or prepare vegetarian food is attempt to mimic meat. It will never taste as good and will usually just turn you off vegetarianism. The only exceptions are Indian food (paneer cheese is delicious and can be used in place of meat for most any Indian entree) and fake beef crumbles, which can be used pretty effectively in Mexican dishes with enough seasoning. I make enchiladas and chili with Quorn, which has a far better texture to it than soy-based alternatives like Morningstar Farms or Boca.

Ah, your GF is vegetarian, which pretty much, makes you a vegetarian /pulp fiction :-)

Dec 6, 2019, 16:22
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2019, 16:22
Dec 6, 2019, 16:22
 Kxmode

Dec 6, 2019, 15:44
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2019, 15:44
Dec 6, 2019, 15:44

PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 07:54:
My GF has been vegetarian for some time, and since everything I cook I cook for the both of us, I haven't actually cooked meat in a long while. We are trying not to eat out as often in an effort to have better diets, so I find myself around meat less often. Easy to forgo something which isn't there.

We actually found ourselves in a Korean restaurant the other night (Koreans are famous meat addicts) and both settled on a vegetarian hot pot with tofu that wasn't that bad (they topped it with an egg so it at least had some kind of fatty flavor).

In my experience, the worst thing you can do trying to eat or prepare vegetarian food is attempt to mimic meat. It will never taste as good and will usually just turn you off vegetarianism. The only exceptions are Indian food (paneer cheese is delicious and can be used in place of meat for most any Indian entree) and fake beef crumbles, which can be used pretty effectively in Mexican dishes with enough seasoning. I make enchiladas and chili with Quorn, which has a far better texture to it than soy-based alternatives like Morningstar Farms or Boca.

Nice. I recommend you try Field Roast before giving up on imitation meat altogether. The Italian sausages are especially good.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 6, 2019, 07:54
PHJF

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2019, 07:54
Dec 6, 2019, 07:54
 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

Dec 6, 2019, 05:44
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2019, 05:44
Dec 6, 2019, 05:44

bigspender wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 19:39:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 19:11:
PHJF wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 13:22:
Just went vegetarian myself... no turkey on turkey day

Curious to hear why, if you don't mind sharing.

If I had to bet it would be this https://www.netflix.com/au/title/81157840

Yeah, been meaning to watch this. Went to a party and met my vegan friend LJ who had just watched it. She said it was awesome.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 6, 2019, 03:10
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2019, 03:10
Dec 6, 2019, 03:10

Dec 6, 2019, 00:57
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2019, 00:57
Dec 6, 2019, 00:57
 Cutter

bigspender wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 19:46:
Cutter wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 15:41:
Seeing as it's been years since I last put together a rig I have a question about RAM clock speeds. On the MSI X570 mobos I'm looking at the base speed is 2666Mhz but they support up to 4400Mhz. Yet I see a lot of people say it's really hard to get a stable system clocked out to the max like that. From all the research I've done 3600Mhz seems to be the sweet spot for stability and price/value. So should I stick with 3600 or go lower/higher? I'm really more concerned about stability than a tiny bit more speed. Thanks.

It really depends on the rest of your rig. There's tons of comparison videos on youtube with side by side performance numbers for whichever CPU/GPU you plan on getting.

It's not always worth getting the faster RAM, particularly if the price you pay isn't returned equally in performance. E.g. 5% performance from the ram might cost you another $200-300. Which is better spent on a faster CPU/GPU, or even just save it for an upgrade later on.

It also depends on what screen you are running. If you're doing 4K, and faster RAM is going to get you to the magic 60fps or above, then go for it. For 1080p, the difference between 100fps and 120 fps, is probably not particularly noticeable.

Thanks!
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Dec 5, 2019, 19:46
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2019, 19:46
Dec 5, 2019, 19:46

Cutter wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 15:41:
Seeing as it's been years since I last put together a rig I have a question about RAM clock speeds. On the MSI X570 mobos I'm looking at the base speed is 2666Mhz but they support up to 4400Mhz. Yet I see a lot of people say it's really hard to get a stable system clocked out to the max like that. From all the research I've done 3600Mhz seems to be the sweet spot for stability and price/value. So should I stick with 3600 or go lower/higher? I'm really more concerned about stability than a tiny bit more speed. Thanks.

It really depends on the rest of your rig. There's tons of comparison videos on youtube with side by side performance numbers for whichever CPU/GPU you plan on getting.

It's not always worth getting the faster RAM, particularly if the price you pay isn't returned equally in performance. E.g. 5% performance from the ram might cost you another $200-300. Which is better spent on a faster CPU/GPU, or even just save it for an upgrade later on.

It also depends on what screen you are running. If you're doing 4K, and faster RAM is going to get you to the magic 60fps or above, then go for it. For 1080p, the difference between 100fps and 120 fps, is probably not particularly noticeable.

Dec 5, 2019, 19:39
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2019, 19:39
Dec 5, 2019, 19:39

jdreyer wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 19:11:

If I had to bet it would be this https://www.netflix.com/au/title/81157840

Dec 5, 2019, 19:34
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2019, 19:34
Dec 5, 2019, 19:34

You don't have to go without
https://inhabitat.com/6-vegan-vegetarian-and-raw-food-turkey-alternatives-for-thanksgiving/

Dec 5, 2019, 19:30
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2019, 19:30
Dec 5, 2019, 19:30
 Kxmode

Dec 5, 2019, 19:11
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2019, 19:11
Dec 5, 2019, 19:11

Dec 5, 2019, 16:59
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2019, 16:59
Dec 5, 2019, 16:59

Fake Meat vs. Real Meat. Meat producers looking out for your health.

Too bad their campaign forgot to mention that "real" meat gives you "real" cancer and "real" heart-disease aka the two things everyone you know will die from, even tho they are largely optional diseases.

It's almost as if they aren't actually looking out for your health, but rather are upset about their falling profits....

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2019, 19:38.

Dec 5, 2019, 15:41
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2019, 15:41
Dec 5, 2019, 15:41
 Cutter

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older