SuperData on Digital Spending

SuperData Research offers their analysis of Black Friday's and Cyber Monday's impact on video games, saying this year's sales pushed digital spending to a record $4.36B. Word is: "The surge in digital games spending also comes from a growing preference among gamers to purchase gaming content digitally. According to a recent SuperData survey, 42% of gamers do most of their game spending digitally compared to only 16% of gamers who prefer to spend more on physical purchases." Here's more:
Consumers flocked to online retailers on Black Friday and Cyber Monday to take advantage of deep discounts offered by digital storefronts like PlayStation Store and Steam during the busiest shopping days of the holiday season. Overall, digital spending rose 9% compared to the same weekend in 2018 thanks to in-game content deals and big releases that include Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Death Stranding. In addition to a seasonal boost in premium console and premium PC revenue, in-game spending in free-to-play games climbed to $3.3B worldwide, up 13% compared to last year’s sales event while premium PC generated $300M, an increase of 13% for the segment.
View : : :
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: SuperData on Digital Spending
Dec 3, 2019, 21:58
Kxmode

Re: SuperData on Digital Spending Dec 3, 2019, 21:58
Dec 3, 2019, 21:58
 Kxmode

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 20:13:
I think it is somewhat disingenuous to make any statement about whether or not PC gamers /prefer/ to buy digitally, since for all intents and purposes, it is almost impossible to buy PC games physically anymore. They may very well prefer digital, but sales figures are not indicative of their preferences, only that they are buying games digitally, whether they like it more or not.

I think you're getting your wires crossed. The article stated a lower percentage of gamers prefer to purchase from physical retailers. I do agree about saying they "prefer," though. There may be a wide variety of reasons why that happened. Perhaps the lack of access to broadband is one consideration. I know if I wasn't on broadband, I won't mess with digital downloading.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 3, 2019, 20:13
Re: SuperData on Digital Spending Dec 3, 2019, 20:13
Dec 3, 2019, 20:13

I think it is somewhat disingenuous to make any statement about whether or not PC gamers /prefer/ to buy digitally, since for all intents and purposes, it is almost impossible to buy PC games physically anymore. They may very well prefer digital, but sales figures are not indicative of their preferences, only that they are buying games digitally, whether they like it more or not.

Dec 3, 2019, 20:06
Kxmode

Re: SuperData on Digital Spending Dec 3, 2019, 20:06
Dec 3, 2019, 20:06
 Kxmode

Game Stop to Shareholders: "We expect to bounce back from this slump next year." Insanity.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older